Unborn Baby Clings To Life After Colorado Theater Shooting

Mon, July 23, 2012 11:25am EDT by 35 Comments
Colorado theater shooting

A pregnant mother who lost her 6-year-old daughter during the ‘Dark Knight’ shooting massacre on July 20 remains in the hospital. She was shot three times, but her unborn baby is miraculously still alive. Read her dramatic story.

Ashley Moser, 25, was devastated to learn her 6-year-old daughter Veronica Moser-Sullivan, was killed after suspected gunman James Holmes shot up a Denver-area movie theater, killing 12 and wounding nearly 60 others. As she lay in the hospital recovering from multiple gunshot wounds, her only question was, “where is my daughter?”

Heart-broken family members had to break the news that Ashley’s little girl would not be coming home. She reportedly burst into tears and screamed, “I want to die!” relatives told the Daily Mail. Veronica was the youngest of the 12 victims that died from the shooting.

A pregnant Ashley was shot three times — twice in the throat, and once in the stomach.

Veronica’s unborn sibling, however, is still clinging to life.

“I don’t know how, but she still has the baby. Yesterday I was told she had lost it and today it’s OK,” Ashley’s brother, Robert Sierra, told the Daily Mail on July 22. “It’s a miracle, as she was shot in the stomach.”

While family members pray for the recovery of Ashley and her unborn child, they continue to mourn Veronica, an innocent child with so much life.

“She was excited about life as she should be. She’s a six-year-old girl,” Ashley’s aunt, Annie Dalton, said. “This is just a nightmare right now. It’s a nightmare. Everything’s surreal. It’s just surreal.”

– Christina Stiehl

More Dark Knight Rises news:

1. 6-Year-Old Confirmed Youngest Fatality In ‘Dark Knight’ Shooting
  2. TEXT HERE
  3. Alex Sullivan Killed In Colorado Shooting On 27th Birthday

Rora

Posted at 2:31 PM on July 24, 2012

I’m ashamed to even be living on the same planet as some of you. What is wrong with you people? She just lost her daughter and might lose her unborn child. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. It’s that easy. This could have occured anywhere, and for all you guys know this little girl could have been looking forward to this movie. My four-year-old loves spiderman and harry potter and both those movies have violent scences. For the poeple who say they are christians… what kind of christian judges another… I thought that was left up to God. We are suppose to treat others the way we would want to be treated. I hope none of you have to go throught the loss of a child and have people judge you for it. It’s sad that I live in a world with a bunch of people who have nothing better to do than sit around a judge a mother who just lost her little girl, a mother who will never see her smile, laugh, and play ever again, and this is not her FAULT. It could have happened anywhere and at anytime. I pray that she and her baby have a fast recovery.

Cheryl

Posted at 10:46 PM on November 21, 2012

Amen, to that Rora, I believe everyone needs to take a look around as well. I will be praying as well for the Mother and her unborn child,

Krissy

Posted at 2:31 AM on July 24, 2012

First of all, the majority of you need to quit judging this mother, you should be praying that her unborn baby survives… secondly, just because you wouldn’t take your child to see a movie like this, doesn’t mean that EVERYONE has to do what you do… I’m sorry, but if my child wanted to see this movie, I’d taken them… I’m the parent and I decide what is appropriate for my child, not you, not God, and not anyone else… I DO… if you shelter your kids from violence or letting them see this kind of stuff, or don’t tell them about this, then they’re going to end up being the ones in trouble (this is from experience)… I sure as hell hope that nobody any of you love ever has to experience this kind of tragedy… and just remember, this can happen at ANY GIVEN TIME… REMEMBER THAT!

Deb

Posted at 12:29 AM on July 24, 2012

I just wonder what a good Christian home your run if you can get on this thread and run your mouth about a woman taking her kid to a theater! You are a DAMN freak! Any good Christian wouldn’t be judging, especially at a time like this! You better go pray for yourself!

theTruth

Posted at 11:30 PM on July 23, 2012

why they keep saying suspected gunman that demon is a murderer BURN IN HELL

BluntForceTrauma

Posted at 6:59 PM on July 23, 2012

Maybe the 6 year old girl was more mature than other kids, not all kids are the same. Some understand things more than others and some are sheltered and are scared of their own shadow. It’s summer, she didn’t have to get up early for school. It’s not her fault some insane man went in the theater and killed innocent people who were just trying to watch a movie.

hhhmmm

Posted at 5:51 PM on July 23, 2012

You people on here trying to play the blame game with this mother should be ashamed of yourselves. She had every right to be there and it’s really none of your dam business why. You should be hoping for the baby to make it instead of trying to drive someone over the edge, like that shooter. It’s almost like you are glad the nut went on a rampage and took so much away from so many people. You better be hoping someone you love isn’t a victim the next time some crazy poop like this happens.

mamacat

Posted at 11:37 PM on July 23, 2012

I just simply do not understand a parent taking a 6-year-old child to a PG-13 movie. Many of you may not be aware of this but many movies that were rated R when I went to see them when I was old enough have now been re-rated to PG-13. I don’t even want my 13-year-old sitting in a theater listening to a bunch of F this and F that and seeing graphic violence. I certainly wasn’t taking her to movies like this at 6 years old. And my child is not sheltered either; she’s being raised in a Christian home, which is why I object to young children being allowed to see these PG-13 movies. And just FYI, it’s spelled “damn.”

mamacat

Posted at 11:39 PM on July 23, 2012

Is this movie rated R?! I thought it was PG-13! That’s even worse!

Robyn

Posted at 5:37 PM on August 7, 2012

You have got to be out of your ever loving mind. I do not know how people like you sleep at night. I bet you go to church every sunday, put the smile on your face and act as if your life is not pathetic. Clearly form judging somebody over taking a 6 year old, who is now an angel in heave, to a batman movie. You need your head checked!!! Better yet, I will pray for your sorry butt tonight as I pray for this mother who is fighting for her life and the life of her unborn child. You are a sorry excuse of an AMERICAN, ADULT and PARENT (if you should be).

HoneybunP3

Posted at 5:29 PM on July 23, 2012

My last post is directed to one who said she does not have babysitter at her disposal.

HoneybunP3

Posted at 5:26 PM on July 23, 2012

Then go and watch a PG rated movie before 6pm. You have to make sacrifice when u r parent.

absolutely appalled

Posted at 5:25 PM on July 23, 2012

What the hell was the mother doing bringing a 6 year old to this movieThe 6 year old should have been in bed hours before that. whether or not the shooting occured, this little girl would have been traumatized for life by watching this R rated movie!!

Have people no brains in their heads??????
i have a 6 year old daughter , she watches tv appropriate for her age, i barely even let her watch pg or g rated stuff because of some innappropriate activity and language being used.

HoneybunP3

Posted at 5:07 PM on July 23, 2012

Melissa I have to agree with you. Wasn’t the movie R rated for ADULT audience????? So why do we have movie rating system if no one wants to pay attention?!!! Sure this little girls lost is extremely sad but it did not have to happen only if the mother was more responsible on her ways of parenting.
Another important note, I want to see the theaters owner being questioned why he did not order for age ID to be checked before letting underaged children in. The couple with their three MONTHS old infant made me sooooooooo angry by taking her to a loud noisy gun violence movie at one o’clock in the morning. Now that’s stupid beyond words. I hope and pray for this young mother to find peace. I can not imagine the level of devastation she is in.

lilysmommy

Posted at 7:59 PM on July 23, 2012

Not saying I don’t agree with you about how a 6 year old shouldn’t see that movie BUT shes aloud in as long as shes with her parent, its up to the parents… ratings only apply if they are without a parent.

Kristy

Posted at 4:49 PM on July 23, 2012

I agree with Melissa. This pregnant woman and her six year old daughter should NEVER have been in that theatre in the first place. Young mother doing this for selfish reasons. Wait till your old enough and responsible enough to handle your children with care and put THEIR needs first. Puhlezzz like this little girl really liked Batman??? She should’ve been in bed!!! How sad the way this little girl had to lose her life:( Selfish parents suffering children

ladybug

Posted at 3:20 PM on July 23, 2012

why does it mater that she took her daughter to see the movie at midnight? that shooting could have very well taken place in the morning or afternoon she wanted to spend more time with her and its sad that she died but the mom is not the one to be blamed. and to those who are bad mouthing her for what happened you need to shut your mouth this could have happened anywhere and to anyone

mamacat

Posted at 11:43 PM on July 23, 2012

Well, if she had been a responsible parent and stayed home with her child, this wouldn’t have happened to her now would it?

poison

Posted at 2:46 PM on July 23, 2012

regardless what movie she went to take her daughter to who in the right mind thinks that will be the last show they will ever watch with there lil child , my 4 yr old and 6 yr old LOVES batman and spiderman , super man , iron man , they’re equally just as violent and in no way shape or fourm does that make anyone a bad parent for allowing there child to like comic books or comic movies,
I’m sure most of yous let ur. hidden watch family guy or simpsons , in my opinion that’s NOT. a show for children ither , but everyone does it,

I hope and pray for this family and gods got plans for ur family , something nasty happend and u lost the most value person in this world , and I am sorry this ever happend. I am hopeing and praying this miracle baby survives and mom I am hopeing your post pordome depreshion goes away really fast , THIS IS NOT UR FAULT. my son has not stopped talkin about joker ever since I mentioned It to my husband about what happend and every time he drops the name I am thinking of every one of you . there are no words to describe how my guts feel every time the story’s on , as a mother of 5 IT KILLS ME to think this stuff happends in real life , FOR REAL anyone like him they all deserve the death penalty

Melissa

Posted at 1:27 PM on July 23, 2012

I have a 6 year old son. I wouldn’t dream of taking him to the movie theater for a midnight showing of a violent movie that is aimed at adults…..and if a babysitter wasn’t available, I just wouldn’t go! That’s what being a responsible parent is…..I’m sorry that happened to her, and very sad about her daughter….but really, her daughter shouldn’t have been there AT ALL.

gbtw

Posted at 1:39 PM on July 23, 2012

what is with you people??? i honestly don’t get it… that murder could’ve happened anytime anywhere. it was random. what does it matter that you wouldn’t have brought your child to a violent movie at midnight? a shooting in a movie theatre is entirely unpredictable and i can’t believe that people are suggesting that the woman deserves it b/c she brought her daughter to a violent movie late at night. it’s insane… who ARE you people??!! if the movie had been at noon, would you have judged her less? if it had been a rated g movie at noon, then you wouldn’t blame her for the random vicious killing of her daughter? so disgusting… i sure hope nothing ever happens to your child. it’s even more disgusting to me that you would make such comments as a mother. despicable.

shauna

Posted at 2:16 PM on July 23, 2012

i totally agree w you who knew that was gonna happen what if she took her daughter in the afternoon and that happened? would these awful people think she still . deserved it? thats heartbreaking and so devastating. get your facts straight people. maybe she was just excited about taking her daughter to a midnight movie alot of people do that it just gives the kid a whole new experience noone knew that awful thing was gonna hasppen

Jen

Posted at 3:17 PM on July 23, 2012

It’s really sick that some people have the audacity to blame the victims….

dee

Posted at 4:12 PM on July 23, 2012

You are insane. This could have happened any time of day at any place. Stop being a holier than thou parent. This person is grieving a loss and your words are meaningless and just plain ugly. Shut your trap if you don’t have anything intelligent to say.

ch3r0k33j03

Posted at 12:59 PM on July 23, 2012

So let me get this straight:

If you abort a baby, it’s not murder…

But if someone tries to abort your baby, it’s murder?

Wow.

I guess it would make sense if a fetus was a mother, but that would just flip science directly on it’s head XD

brittany

Posted at 1:15 PM on July 23, 2012

What kind of retard are you?
Your mother should have had an abortion.

Terrorist home grown

Posted at 12:34 PM on July 23, 2012

Why bring a six year old to s violent movie at midnight is is not as if she
Does not have babysitters! A lot of people bring their new borns and
6 year old kids . You do not do that! At midnight showing! A lot of people were effected by this. And what does the media do give the
Killer coverage..you talk a out terrorists well he is one the bomb kit
At his apt who knows what he had planned next!

Rebekah

Posted at 12:42 PM on July 23, 2012

Everyone doesn’t have babysitters at their disposal. I’m living proof of that!

TJ

Posted at 1:12 PM on July 23, 2012

Yea I don’t always have sitters at my disposal either. But the point is if you don’t have a sitter for a almost 3 hr movie that begins at midnight…you don’t bring your kids! Sadly these parents will forever blame their selves for bringing their child to the movie.

gbtw

Posted at 1:34 PM on July 23, 2012

and why kick a person when they’re down? f- you and your judgments. a random act of violence that couldn’t have been predicted by anyone, is what is at issue here- not the parenting choices of allowing a kid to watch a violent movie or stay up too late. as if she could’ve guessed her daughter was going to die? for all you know, this was a one time splurge for a mom who never gets to do anything and figured her daughter would fall asleep anyway… long story short, you’re a hideous monster for making such a comment after the woman just lost her child in something that was not in her control. that shooting could’ve happened anywhere, any time- it was random, and the daughter’s death is not the mom’s fault. you’re a piece of sh!t. i hope you never have to know exactly how horrible this comment is/was- b/c the only way you’ll really know is if you become a mom and have your child taken from you by a random murder. garbage. you are garbage.

Sarah

Posted at 3:47 PM on July 23, 2012

I couldn’t agree more with your words…very well put!

ohio24fan

Posted at 6:02 PM on July 23, 2012

really, I mean get a clue. this is not about this poor mother taking her child to the movies. it’s about what this creep did to everyone in their and their families. Why are you going to as said before “kick her while she’s down” there are way worse things than taking a child to a movie. WAY worse. So why don’t you people get off of your high horse and let this poor woman, heal and grieve. She has been through enough and needs all the support she can get and not all of you holier than thou people judging her for going to a freaking movie. You are Pathetic

Anna

Posted at 12:30 PM on July 23, 2012

I pray she and her baby are allright. I hope this man gets the death sentence. It´s the least he deserves. This is all so incredibly senseless. My heart and prayers go out to all the victims.

ashley mcintyre

Posted at 11:54 AM on July 23, 2012

hey this is ashley this is sad and the little girl was only 6 years old and a own man had to get shot to blocok his family and it pisses me off so mad i hope he dies in hell

Caro

Posted at 10:55 AM on July 23, 2012

I pray for her and her baby!!! =)