Sam Claflin Cast As Finnick Odair In ‘Catching Fire’ — New Report

Wed, July 18, 2012 1:46pm EDT by 42 Comments

Do you think Sam has what it takes to fill Finnick’s beautiful shoes? Vote now!

The hunt for the dreamiest gentleman in Panem is finally over! Sam Claflin has been offered the part of Finnick Odair in The Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire, Zap2it reports, beating out everyone from Garrett Hedlund to Armie Hammer for the plum role.

Some of you may remember Sam from his role in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, but of course, we’ll always think of the 26-year-old British actor as Kristen Stewart‘s prince in Snow White and the Huntsman.

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Do you think Sam has the chops — and the looks — to play Finnick? Vote below, then tell us how you really feel in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

Watch More ENTV Videos!

More Hunger Games News:

1. ‘Hunger Games’ & ‘Game Of Thrones’ Inspire Most Popular Baby Names
  2. Kristen Stewart Wants ‘Hunger Games’ To Win Best Kiss at MTV Movie Awards
  3. Jennifer Lawrence: I Wasn’t Too Fat To Play Katniss In ‘The Hunger Games’

Mary

Posted at 11:15 PM on August 3, 2012

JOEY GRACEFFA should have played finnick! I hope he won’t take it!! He shouldn’t have been even considered. Just look Joey Graceffa up on you tube please?!! Give Joey a chance and look at him for a sec. Watch his video Joey Graceffa as finick odair. He really wants the part! Please? Im begging you!!! :( just for a sec?

Lisa

Posted at 4:46 AM on July 22, 2012

I adore Sam. He’s so cute and I loved him in SWATH! It’s impossible not to smile and giggle at his charm while you’re watching his interviews. I have no doubt his makeover will turn him into a gorgeous Finnick ;)

Julia

Posted at 9:33 PM on July 21, 2012

I really do not want him to play Finnick, I would MUCH rather have Armie Hammer as Finnick, please, please please, find someone else.

Gal

Posted at 9:56 AM on July 21, 2012

I think Sam is a great actor and good looking but i dont think he should play Finnick.
I really want Hunter Parrish to play this role.. :)

Rita

Posted at 11:17 PM on July 22, 2012

I love Hunter he’s a great actor as good as Josh maybe even better but he is my personal Peeta. When I read the books I always picture Hunter as Peeta.

Nikki

Posted at 8:47 PM on July 20, 2012

I can’t see him as Finnick at all ima be so disappointed if he plays him ;/ please find someone else.

Rooren

Posted at 6:01 PM on July 20, 2012

I will be incredibly disappointed if they cast Sam Claflin as Finnick :( I definitely don’t think he has the looks (in the books, Finnick is described as tall, muscular, and athletic, with tan skin, bronze-colored hair, and “incredible” sea green eyes). I haven’t been extremely impressed with his movies either. I wouldn’t say he’s a bad actor, I just don’t think he has what it takes to play Finnick.

Cece

Posted at 4:21 AM on July 20, 2012

NOOOOOOO! Jeremy Sumpter is PERFECT for Finnick! D:

Edie

Posted at 10:52 AM on July 19, 2012

Although he’s not my first choice for Finnick (Grant Gustin, come on), I’ve loved him in everything he’s been in, and he is so. flipping. cute. I’m sure he’ll be great :)

GirlOnFire

Posted at 6:41 AM on July 19, 2012

He doesn’t look like Finnick tho… Grant Gustin looks more like Finnick, really to be honest.

BlairBear

Posted at 2:08 AM on July 19, 2012

Lionsgate hasn’t confirmed it. They haven’t confirmed anyone yet. Sam {Clafin} is a freakin brillant actor. Although he doesn’t look like finnick, that’s what the stylists are for. Plus he hasnt even been cast. Trust lionsgate, guys.

Finnick lover

Posted at 9:34 PM on July 18, 2012

I trust lionsgate with their casting, I mean, it could be worse. I like Sam claflin, he’s a damn good actor. Every needs to calm down about him playing Finnick. Everyone had their ideal Finnick, mine was chace crawford. But no ones gonna be 100% happy with Finnick casting, because Finnick is everyones perfect man. I mean, Sam Claflin will probably be a great Finnick. I think he’ll do fine, he hasnt failed to impress me yet. I’m excited.

Rita

Posted at 11:08 PM on July 22, 2012

I don’t trust they will make this guy fit the book descriptions, Jennifer Lenny Woody, Liam and Josh didn’t look like the book described their characters. They might not have heard of spray tan and contacts. I always hate their casting choices because they seem very lazy to give time and budget to try to find good actors who also fit the part, rather than choosing acting above looks and this guy wasn’t that great in his other movies: THey seem to always have only a few options for the roles. Like only disneys for Peeta or only girls with oscar nods or a history of kick ass girls roles.Luna Lovewood and Cho Chang casting calls were huge and they were minor characters. You might like them or not but you can’t tell the producers didn’t make their best to find someone but with Lionsgate is always “They Could’ve done better”.

Bailey

Posted at 7:36 PM on July 18, 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
GARRETT HEDLUND FTW!!

*D*

Posted at 5:13 PM on July 18, 2012

No…he was good in pirates. But when I imagined Finnick, he was gorgeous. not that he isn’t good looking, just not Finnick.

Ally

Posted at 4:57 PM on July 18, 2012

I love him. I have total confidence in Lionsgate. Sam is a great actor!

Lina

Posted at 4:48 PM on July 18, 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS NOT RIGHT! Please tell me this is a rumor. Maybe the world will end this year…

thisisallwrong

Posted at 4:42 PM on July 18, 2012

THIS IS NOT FINNICK!!! JUST NO! YOU THINK HE CAN FILL THE PART OF FINNICK YOU ARE WRONG! THIS GUY WAS NOT BORN TO PLAY FINNICK ODAIR. HE WILL SCREW UP THE MOVIE! Lionsgate should check out Grant Gustin <3 He would be wayy better. Or Luke Mitchell even. Not Zac Efron &&& NOT THIS GUY

Maya

Posted at 4:21 PM on July 18, 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I loved him in Pirates… On stranger tides, but *cough cough* he does NOT have that `something` to `fill beautiful Finnick’s shoes`. NO, JUST NO. THIS IS NOT FAAAAAAAAIR!!!! :'(( I want Garrett Hedlund, because this man WAS BORN TO PLAY FINNICK ODAIR!!! God. They screwed up my favourite character ever. THANK YOU, TROLLSGATE! ;/

Lexi

Posted at 4:10 PM on July 18, 2012

Ok, if he’s Finnick, Astrid Berges-Frisbey should play Annie Cresta… She’s perfect for poor mad girl. And I’ll still be thinking about Garret as Mr. Odair…

asdfjkl;

Posted at 3:46 PM on July 18, 2012

not at all what i expected… hoping he’s good, though… *sigh*

hellokitty2142

Posted at 3:24 PM on July 18, 2012

As long as he can act and change him up then I’m okay with him playing Finnick but I wish we had someone else play Finnick.

Saf97

Posted at 3:21 PM on July 18, 2012

NOOO! I was hoping ZAC EFRON would play this role! Whyyyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Nicole Stark

Posted at 2:54 PM on July 18, 2012

Personally, he doesn’t look at all as the Finnick Odair who’s descripted at the books, he’s completely the opposite, i mean, Sam Claflin is sexy and handsome and everything but he’s absolutley NOT perfect to play the charming of the character that Suzanne described at the book, the actor doesn’t even need to be famous to play Finnick’s role, he NEEDS to be a good actor, who can play EVERY SCENE -including the Finnick’s kiss with Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson)- and i don’t think Sam’s the right one, he’s a extraordinary actor, but this is just NOT the movie for him. I was expecting more. Just a personal opinion.

Maya

Posted at 4:23 PM on July 18, 2012

YES, JESUS, YES!

Sad Person

Posted at 2:28 PM on July 18, 2012

This is disgraceful! Finnick is supposed to have sea-green eyes, bronze hair, & tan skin! This is the complete opposite! Hope this is a rumor people -.-

Seth

Posted at 2:44 PM on July 18, 2012

It’s called colored contact lenses, hair dye, and spray tan :). Remember how Jennifer Lawrence is blonde yet they fixed that so she could play katniss? These are superficial issues that can easily be fixed by the magic of Hollywood makeup artists.

Rita

Posted at 11:30 PM on July 22, 2012

Remember Jennifer didn’t get olive skin so she could look like the book descriptions ? Remember when Josh didn’t get blue contacts? Remember they didn’t even get a yellow cat These might be superficial issues to you but this is the exact reason the movie didn’t surpass none of the HP movies nor most of twilight installments at the global box office. It’s always about the money and never about attention to detail. If they didn’t make these controversial casting choices and rushed decisions they would have shaken all the other sagas off.

Brodie

Posted at 2:06 PM on July 18, 2012

i dunno…..he is fit ;P

Jane

Posted at 1:53 PM on July 18, 2012

You are kidding me. He is too much of a pussy to play this role. Ugh…wrong casting…they are going to mess up Catching Fire for sure.

Moh

Posted at 6:04 AM on July 21, 2012

Man you’ve got problems. Shave that beard of yours! Sam Claflin is BEAUTIFUL and perfect for any role :D

irene

Posted at 2:10 AM on August 2, 2012

come on guys sam claflins eyes are green its not that hard to get a tan he has a perfect kinda finnicky wavy hair that dosent have to be exactly bronze and hes a really good actor something you need for finnick with his conflicting personalities