12-Year-Old Boy Dies After Scraping His Arm In Gym Class

Wed, July 18, 2012 5:30pm EDT by 6 Comments
Boy Dies Sepsis

When Rory Staunton scraped his arm during gym class, his parents thought it was a routine cut. Days later, the middle school student was dead due to a bacterial infection. Read about the tragic story.

Rory Staunton, an ambitious 12-year-old, cut his arm during a basketball game in PE class. Later that evening, he experienced strange symptoms that left him vomiting with a severe pain in his leg. Although his parents sought medical help immediately and took all the right steps, Rory suffered from a bacterial infection and tragically died. His parents went on the Today show to speak out about their loss.

Rory, a well-rounded middle school student, is lovingly remembered by his family.  The boy was a member of his school’s debate team, and very close with his little sister.

But Rory’s life was cut tragically short when a small scrape he received playing basketball became infected, killing him of Toxic Shock Syndrome. What started as a minor injury quickly escalated into an infected wound.

Apparently, as soon as the night after Rory was injured, he experienced debilitating pain.

“A little after midnight I heard him in the bathroom throwing up,” his mom, Orlaith Staunton, said on Today. “So I went in. He was screaming with a pain in his leg. He said, ‘It’s my leg, mom. It’s my leg.'”

Rory’s pain escalated as his parents took him to the pediatrician.  His sickness was initially diagnosed as a stomach virus, but further blood work revealed that his white blood count was exceptionally high, but the Staunton family says that they were never informed of this.

Eventually, the hospitals informed the Stauntons that their son was suffering from sepsis, which causes bodily inflammation and a serious infection. Hospitals administered various treatments to try to fight off the infection, but by April 1, Rory’s condition was rendered deadly. He died later that day in the ER.

The Stauntons have started a website in memorial of their beloved son, and they want to spread information about deadly infections like Rory’s, so that other parents don’t have to deal with the loss of a child.

What a tragedy. We at HollyBaby are wishing the best for the Staunton family, and our hearts are with them after the death of their son.

– Margaret Quigley

More HollyBaby news:

  1. Victoria Beckham Watches Daughter Harper Take First Steps
  2. Tom & Suri Cruise Escape New York City Paparazzi Together
  3. Mason Disick Visits The Circus With Kim Kardashian — Cute Pic

Leave a Reply

To comment, please fill in the fields below, enter your comment and select the Comment button.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

View Comment

promovare site online

Posted at 7:18 AM on March 19, 2013  

Cele mai bune metode de promovare online

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

test

Posted at 3:04 PM on February 9, 2013  

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Jason dockey

Posted at 6:30 PM on July 20, 2012  

My heart goes out to this boys family. I was miss diagnosed with toxic shock when I was 16. I got it from blue Jean dye infecting an ingrown hair O’my leg. I was in the hospital for 4 days and was seen by more doctors than I can remember. It was a painful and terrifying experience. I am truly sorry for their loss to what should be a very treatable infection.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Pam

Posted at 6:03 AM on July 19, 2012  

Very tragic. My daughter was one of the lucky ones. Thanks to Nason Medical & MUSC Children’s hospital who thought she had Toxic Shock & started treating her for it before her labs came back, which took a couple of days. However, they almost lost her in the ER. They worked on her for 2 hours before they could stabelize her to send her to the PICU. Your organs begin to shut completely down. It is all a matter of time. And remember this…Toxic Shock is VERY rare. As the doctor expkaibed it to us: “It’s like walking down the street on a sunny day & being struck by lightning.”

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Faye

Posted at 9:52 PM on July 18, 2012  

Too many patients are being discharged from hospitals before all steps are taken to diagnose correctly.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

lilysmommy

Posted at 11:38 PM on July 18, 2012  

Did you even read the article?? They did diagnose him correctly after they did blood work, he was never released, he died there.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,690 other followers