'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Kanima Speaks & [Spoiler] Gets Bitten

Tue, July 17, 2012 12:00am EDT by 67 Comments

Was this episode supposed to be scary or sexy? Because it was definitely both. Nicely done, ‘Teen Wolf.’

There was once a time I thought I knew what was happening on Teen Wolf — but that was before I watched the July 16 episode, in which everything changed. Ghosts were mentioned, innocent peeps were killed, and Stiles (Dylan O’Brien) shed some big ol’ tears. Yup, it was one of those nights.

For starters, there’s a very real possibility that Jackson (Colton Haynes) is being controlled by a ghost. Before being fired from the force, Stiles’ dad figured out that all of the Kanima’s victims were 24, which was the same age Isaac’s brother was when he died in the war. And when Stiles interrogated Jackson, he said all of his victims were murderers because “they killed me.” (Me who, you’re asking? Oh, how I wish I had the answer to that question.)

For Allison (Crystal Reed), it was an evening of mistakes — so many mistakes. For starters, she promised to go to the rave as Matt’s date; and just when we thought she was done being crazy, she told her dad that Jackson was the Kanima and that he’d be going after his next victim at the rave. Needless to say, most of the trouble that ensued probably could have been avoided had she just kept her yapper shut.

Taking advantage of the chaos, Allison’s mom kidnapped Scott (Tyler Posey) and tried to kill him using wolf’s bane — and a vaporizer. (Apparently that‘s why she hangs around school all day, to see how kids smoke pot.) Unfortunately for Victoria (and her Riddler hair), Scott’s cries got Derek’s (Tyler Hoechlin) attention, and he quickly came to Scott’s aid. He also took a nasty bite out of Victoria’s shoulder, which is where this bananas episode came to a close.

Other assorted thoughts:

>> What’s the deal with Ms. Morrell (Bianca Lawson)? We saw her chatting with the vet, and she seems to know “what’s coming,” but how does she factor into everything?

>> Coach (Orny Adams) looked especially cracked out this evening. He’s clearly upped his meth intake, but as long as he keeps being funny, I won’t narc him out.

>> This episode needed so much more Lydia. Seriously, where was she hiding?

How do you feel about tonight’s big twists? Do you think Allison’s dad will let her mom die, or crazier yet, let her become a wolf? Is Jackson somehow connected to the ghost of Isaac’s brother? Drop me a comment with your thoughts and theories!

— Andy Swift

More Teen Wolf News:

1. ‘Teen Wolf’ Comic-Con Scoop: Who Gets Bitten Next, Plus More Spoilers
  2. ‘Teen Wolf’ Twist: Is Allison Turning Supernatural This Season?
  3. A ‘Teen Wolf’ Couple Is ‘Strained,’ ‘The L.A. Complex’ Finds Religion & More TV Scoop

Derek hale

Posted at 9:50 AM on December 10, 2012

I want 2 become a ware wolf how can i become 1

Lucy

Posted at 9:26 AM on July 31, 2012

Poor Allison, it seems like she can’t catch a break with sane family members. Her mother in particular, has always given me the chills. I loved the comparison of her hair to the Riddler, it definitely suits her personality. I had to miss this intense episode because of a work event for Dish; but I was able to catch up with the help of my Hopper. I watched the episode commercial free, and I have 2,000 hours of recording space for my other favorite shows. I am glad I caught up before my friend spoiled the werewolf bite scene, I am so curious to find out what Allison’s mom will do now that she will become the monster she hunts.

Tyler

Posted at 9:53 PM on July 21, 2012

After seeing 7/16 episode I think Grandpa Gerard is indeed the controller of Jackson/Kanima! If he’s not controlling him he is definatley apart of it somehow I mean why does he take those pills that has to be significant to something I think it hides his abilities of controlling the kanima because when stiles put the mountain ashe around the building he did pass it when allison was leaving the party he did grab her so he mustve passed it but i still think he has something to do with him controlling jackson and he wasnt even scared when the kanima was facing hime. As for the counselor her character in the show is weird im sure she definatley plays a role with Lydias hallucinations. And one thing is Lydia and Jackson were BOTH bit by alphas yet didnt turn into werewolves so i think they play hand in hand with eachother maybe lydia is controlling jackson is some way as well all i know is i cant wait to see the next episode. The next episode will answer all these questions!

Loper96

Posted at 12:56 AM on July 21, 2012

At the very end of this episode, (peering into next episode) It looked like Jackson was kissing a very dark haired girl, could we say Allison? I’m not sure if I saw that right. Also, could this be possible to help him shapeshift like he did with Lydia? And help set the “plans” rolling?

Andyboy

Posted at 3:20 PM on July 19, 2012

Is there two kanimas because the one in the first episodes was a different colour than the one in the later episode

Vulcan

Posted at 2:41 PM on July 19, 2012

I would have loved to see it but with the Directv – Viacom crap going on it wouldn’t even record. Get your stuff together and quit messing with the people who pay your bill.

burrito11

Posted at 12:36 PM on July 19, 2012

Mac1968 I thought that to which was weird ause she was def bit but he didn’t seem to do it. Either way I’m thinking she’s gonna tell alison that scott bit her to drive them apart. As far as the kanama I really can’t tell who’s conrolling it, but its gotta be either gerard,Mr. Harris or I guess a ghost(doubtful). I’m thinking something happened with Mr. Harris maybe with that group of people maybe they killed somone he was close to and issacs dad was involved maybe a cover up or a drunk driving accident and he supplied the alcohol(weird theory I know). But I think its harris onrolling it. Maybe he had. Wife who was pregnant and they killed her and the baby drunk driving or something. I also think there’s a reason gerard takes all those pills, my theory is he was bitten and it keeps him from transforming which I think will play a part with allisons mom. The wriing is def creative and keeps me intrigued. What are ur thouhts?

mac1968

Posted at 7:32 AM on July 19, 2012

I watched this episode again and paid close attention to the scene where derek rescues Scott. He does not change into the wolf at all and he does not bite Victoria. So who did? Don’t know if it was just oversight on the fliming and he bite her off screen but I don’t think so. I think something else bite her.

bastian

Posted at 8:21 PM on July 20, 2012

only alpha’s can pass the werewolf curse and those were definitely people teeth marks and not a wolf’s, there were two sets which makes it seem like a larger mouth bit her.

Lux

Posted at 12:20 AM on July 19, 2012

I have a gut feeling that Gerard is the one controlling Jackson, and I dislike Allisons mom so I hope they do something about her ;)

lauren

Posted at 9:05 PM on July 18, 2012

o second thought i rewatched the episode and when jackson says “us we’re all here” i think it’s possible it might be all the spirits/ ghosts from the hale fire. Maybe some of the human children who died (children key word) went to school with some of the ones who were killed when they were little and through killing their children its their act of revenge for killing them and its revenge on parents who may have aided in starting the fires, but punishing the children because they punished the hale children