'Jane By Design' Recap: Disaster Strikes Jane's First Date With Eli

Tue, July 17, 2012 10:54pm EDT by 7 Comments

Plus, Jane says goodbye to two major people in her life! What will she do next?

Jane (Erica Dasher) finally had her first real date with Eli (Bryan Dechart) on the July 17 episode of Jane By Design, and it was perfect — minus the part where Jane spilled red wine all over Nina Garcia and had to leave the fanciest restaurant in town wearing a table cloth for a dress. Other than that… perfect.

Fortunately Jane was able to fix that little problem all on her own, because Billy (Nick Roux) was a little busy sticking his foot in his mouth. He overheard Zoe and Nick (Matt Atkinson) running lines for the play, but thought they were having a serious conversation, which led to a super-awkward moment for the three of them. Zoe got mad at Billy for not trusting her, but um… isn’t the one who already lied to him about where she lived? I’ve been on the fence about Zoe so far, but after this episode, I’m officially not a fan.

Meanwhile, Ben was dealing with his own life crisis. Though he was given the opportunity of a lifetime — a chance to play minor-league baseball — he couldn’t help but think about what he’d be leaving behind: his family and, of course, Rita (Smith Cho). Shaw the Jaw even tried to stop Ben from leaving by coming clean about how she really feels, but it was too little too late. (I guess she’s kicking herself for wanting to take a break now.)

And after a long, heartfelt talk with Jane, her mom (Teri Hatcher) also decided it was time to grow up and accept Dakota’s proposal. So she packed her bags and headed off to Colorado. I have to say I’m really going to miss Kate. I loved that Jane’s mom was finally back in her life, and Teri Hatcher is always welcome on my TV screen. (Fingers crossed for a second season so we can get her back!)

But wait… with Ben and Kate gone, that means Jane is home alone! This should be… awesome.

Lots of relationship drama to talk about this week: How glad were you to see Jane’s date with Eli turn out perfectly? Are you as sick of Zoe’s nonsense as I am? And, seriously, when is Ben coming back? I miss him already. Drop me a comment with your own thoughts on this week’s episode.

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Recap: A Surprise Proposal Leaves Jane Speechless
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Star Erica Dasher Previews Jane & Eli’s First Real Date
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Stars Forced To Evacuate London Hotel After Fire

Lydia Seamons

Posted at 6:31 AM on October 7, 2012

Super Lame that Season 2 was canceled.:( Would ABC Family
Reconsider? I loved Billy and Jane together! I was looking forward
Them hooking up!:)

Kim

Posted at 12:33 PM on July 18, 2012

I want Nick and Jane back together! Maybe I’m crazy for thinking this, but they were adorable together and you can tell he still likes Jane! She should give him another chance.

Allie

Posted at 11:58 AM on July 18, 2012

I don’t like Zoe at all!! I’m all for Jane and billy!!! Im just super happy cuz everyone knows ultimently that Jane and billy belong together. And u can tell she is starting to turn into a LuLu in this Jane situation… Bros before hoes???? Whatever the saying is that fits Jane and billy, girlfriends and boyfriends will come and go but friends are forever

Trest19xx

Posted at 8:37 AM on July 18, 2012

I don’t like Zoe she has ‘lied’ from the beginning. FrOm the moment that Billy saw Jane in the Cinderella dress and was unzipping it, it was evident that he was as invested in Zoe cause he still has unresolved feelings….for Jane. Now that both parental figures are gone and Jane and Billy are so close this is obviously gonna create ‘tension’ between him and Zoe

Olivia

Posted at 5:24 AM on July 18, 2012

Zoey is fine, she just happens to think the show is a maxim ad. Though I’m sure this is the workings of the perverted producers (males). I don’t know what’s up with all the breast showing on this show? It’s pretty disgusting and really over the top- exaggerated. I’m not even going to talk about the show b/c it just pisses me off.

Olivia

Posted at 11:17 PM on July 17, 2012

I really don’t like Zoe maybe its because I’m team Billy and Jane.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:06 AM on July 18, 2012

I love the idea of Billy and Jane dating different people, but Zoe is being so difficult.