Demi Lovato’s Revealing New Interview About Eating Disorders, Self-Harming & Bipolar

Tue, July 17, 2012 3:43pm EDT by 49 Comments
Demi Lovato Rehab

Demi Lovato is happy, healthy and fit, she tells ‘Self’ in a new interview. We’re so proud of how far she has come!

Demi Lovato has come a long way. After going to rehab for an eating disorder and being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, today, the X Factor judge is healthy, strong and learning about herself every day.

Demi has found a great support system in new friends that “have more interests than wanting to go to clubs and get wasted.”

Demi Lovato Talks Rehab In Katie Couric Interview — It Was Like Prison

Working out is also very important to Demi — not to lose weight, but to stay healthy and in shape. “I’ll run a few miles or bike from Santa Monica to Marina del Rey. I also love boxing or, when I’m sore, yoga. Sometimes I’ll do full-out meditations, where I chant with my instructor. It helps me connect to how I’m feeling.”

“I’ve spent the past two years getting over an eating disorder and issues like self-harming and bipolar disorder. Unlike a person who doesn’t have these problems, I have to work on this stuff every day. I’m reminded of that whenever I eat or feel down.”

Demi is so strong – every single day she struggles, but is working hard to become more confident. “Mean comments don’t affect me the same way [the used to] because I’m more confident. If I read something where someone calls me a b*tch, I know I’m not, so I laugh at it.”

Demi continues to speak out for young girls who struggle with their image. “I want girls to know that it’s OK when they grow up and their body changes. I want them to be aware that certain things they might do to lose weight can be dangerous — life-threatening, even.”

It definitely takes effort, but Demi is willing to put in the time to help herself and others. “You can choose to work towards happiness or not. I used to expect it to come to me, but it takes more than seeing a therapist once a week. I make time for myself and meditate.”

She’s such an inspiration, right, HollywoodLifers?

–Dory Larrabee

Check Us Out On Pinterest!

More on Demi Lovato’s Rehab:

1. Demi Lovato: I Proved My Haters Right By Going To Rehab
  2. Demi Lovato’s Post-Rehab Weight Gain — Up 30 Lbs. But Who Cares?
  3. Demi Lovato’s Eating Disorder & Cutting — She Had These Issues A Long Time

alexis

Posted at 11:19 PM on July 24, 2014

Well first demi is my role model in my idol i look up to hur in when i lestin to her music it makes me feel ok cuz i been though the same like hur well i love u demi ur my fav sinqer i hope i will go ur concerts one day

sango

Posted at 3:12 AM on June 13, 2014

demi is my idol

kati grooms

Posted at 3:09 PM on May 11, 2014

Demi is my favorite artist in the world. She rocks! She inspired me to start doing music and she is a true role model to me in my opinion

Sophia

Posted at 8:26 PM on March 26, 2014

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH DEMI!!! YOU ARE AMAZING

kimberly

Posted at 5:31 PM on February 9, 2014

i love demi she inspiers me:)

Ozioma

Posted at 10:30 AM on February 3, 2014

I love you demi lovato you are my number one role model

demi lover.

Posted at 8:02 AM on January 27, 2014

I hape you see this demi!!* my name is Roche and I’m 12. I love you with all my heart and want to say you are such a big rolemodel in my life. I love you no matter what. Your hilerious,smart and so much more.

Juzie maid

Posted at 8:03 AM on December 12, 2013

I love u demi. U inspire me… <3

aisha yusof

Posted at 7:27 PM on September 2, 2013

She is strong to go through… she is even stronger to help other who has the same problem… she has an amazing voice and she is beautiful… cannot believe that she has such a low self esteem before this…. good job…

Saedi

Posted at 4:28 PM on July 1, 2013

I understand evrythng th@ Demi went thru..or is goin thru coz uhm @ th@ stage wt da same ishus..perhaps evn worse..and i struggle wt dem evryday and sumtymz i evn hurt ppl d@ cre..but i hv 2 struggle and try 2 get thru evrythng coz th@s all i can do..ts ma lyf..uhm just proud d@ she was abl 2 speak owt abt t..she doesnt kno hw many ppl she has helpd..hell shes evn inspired me 2 press on..

Diana cuenca

Posted at 4:27 PM on June 18, 2013

I think that demi lovato is a great peraon!! I love her!! So much her story espires me so much!! I sometimes relate to her! Demi i love you so much i love all ur music!

handbag louis vuitton

Posted at 10:27 PM on June 13, 2013

While in the race to handbag louis vuitton obtain non-renewable fuel’s substitute since the upcoming affordable along with common energy source pertaining to running the human being device, wind turbine turns into a wide range of awareness. In the end, it is really absolutely inside zero little source (except when you need to have which kite air), and also handbag louis vuitton the concept of constant, zero-pollution vitality is just too tempting to ignore.

Karima

Posted at 2:15 PM on June 5, 2013

I felt bad for her I cried sometimes also I wanna say that I wanna be a ssuperstar like her because I know I’m a good singer but I don’t live in the states so I can’t go to x factor but im American born there and lived there I sing the song warrior all the time and I thing I can be a star from just that one song Demi is and inspiration and a beautiful girl I LOVE HER AND WANNA MEET HER BADLYYYT!!

ANDRE F. VALIQUET

Posted at 5:11 PM on May 13, 2013

DEAR DEMI, I WILL PRAY FOR YOUR HEALTH I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF PRAYER ,YOUR AGREAT INSPARTION FOR OUR YOUNG GENERATION,GOD BLESS YOU ,ANDRE.

Alyssa

Posted at 11:03 AM on May 9, 2013

Demi Lovato is my favourite popstar and acctress (as well as her BFF Selena Gomez) i think she is a big insperation and is very smart, beautiful and talented. And everything she went through helps me in life so i know not to go through the same stuff because of her story about it. Demi and Selena are both PERFECT they’re my idols so if u don’t like any of them then shh Demi and Selena are totaly awsome!

hannah

Posted at 10:12 AM on April 22, 2013

I love demi so much! She is such an inspiration!she is my idol ajd hero…just what she went through helps me. I won’t go through the same stuff I did because of her story. She is perfect. So haters just hush(:

shon miller