'Hunger Games' & 'Game Of Thrones' Inspire Most Popular Baby Names

Sat, July 14, 2012 11:30am EDT by 8 Comments
Popular Baby Names

This year’s hottest baby names are based on such phenomenons as ‘Game of Thrones,’ ‘Hunger Games,’ and even One Direction! Read on to find out which names made the cut.

It looks like the kindergarten class of 2017 is going to be rocking some unique, but highly-familiar names! The most-researched baby names so far in 2012 represent fans’ favorite TV, books, and movies.

The hottest baby names for the first half of 2012 — those that got the most page views in the baby name guide nameberry — seem to be taken directly from the big and small screens.

Hunger Games and Game of Thrones are a common theme, with Senna (and the male form Cinna) coming in at the top of the list. The name saw a 1500 percent increase from 2011! Lenny Kravitz portrayed the likeable character of Cinna in the Hunger Games movie — do you think he had an influence?

Ayra, another popular search, is based on the fiery young heroine from Game of Thrones. Although Aria had been a popular search on nameberry before, the popular TV character spelling with a “y” saw an 800 percent increase in searches.

Also at the top of the list is Niallas in Niall Horan! It’s an Irish name meaning cloud, but we have a feeling the cute One Directioner had something to do with this name’s popularity.

Other highly-searched names on the list include Blue, the name of Beyonce and Jay-Z‘s baby girl, Gatsby, based on the classic novel The Great Gatsby that is hitting the big screen later in 2012, and Sybil, from the highly-rated show Downton Abbey.

What do YOU think HollyMoms? Would you name your kid after your favorite character or pop singer?

baby games

Posted at 6:44 AM on February 22, 2014

baby games is the best gaming idea for the kids because nowadays when there are something to gain from here it is best choice of playing games like baby care.

Joelle

Posted at 12:20 PM on July 16, 2012

My sister wanted me to name my son “Cullen” after Twilight because I used to like the books and movies but I’m glad that I didn’t because I knew I would be sick of Twilight eventually, but Cullen is a pretty cool name.

Anonymous

Posted at 1:01 AM on July 16, 2012

THAT SUCKS!!! Arya is the name that my boyfriend and I have decided on for a girl, we love that name. I had a dream that I was pregnant and he wanted to name our girl Arya, and when I told him he was like “I actually really like that”. I hope it doesn’t become too popular.

---

Posted at 4:31 PM on July 14, 2012

Pretty soon, we will hear the name Jaydens and Madisons in high school!

tina

Posted at 1:24 PM on July 14, 2012

Gatsby? No thanks, but I always thought Cinnamon would be a cute name for a girl, I could call her Minnie for short!

LittleMo

Posted at 11:38 AM on July 14, 2012

Not from hunger games. Hated the story – no desire to see kids hunting and killing other kids – and the names are ridiculous.

Prettypink

Posted at 6:23 AM on July 15, 2012

Oh, whatever. Obviously, you didnt understand the book much that’s why you prefer to sit in the corner of the room and send hate mails of how much you hate Hunger games. ..l..

Robert

Posted at 2:58 PM on October 6, 2012

You do realize the names come from Greek History or plants…