'Awkward' Recap: Matty & His Abs Plot To Break Up Jenna & Jake

Fri, July 13, 2012 12:01am EST by 16 Comments
Awkward Episode 203 Recap

Seriously, the seven of them were on a hardcore mission of sabotage! Which of Jenna’s suitors do you side with?

The July 12 episode of Awkward was a parade of serious #JennaProblems. I’m talking major dilemmas like ‘this hot tub isn’t big enough for me, my hot boyfriend, and my hot ex.’ I feel for Jenna (Ashley Rickards). I really do.

After a chat with Tamara (Jillian Rose Reed) — her unitard-clad, camel toe-sporting BFF — Jenna concluded that Matty (Beau Mirchoff) was trying to sabotage her relationship with Jake (Brett Davern), which led to a super-uncomfortable tell-off in the middle of the hallway. And while Matty denied still having feelings for Jenna, we saw at the end of the episode that he — and his ridiculous abs — are, in fact, on a mission to shut down Team Jake for good.

Of course, Jenna’s REAL problems were happening at home. Still peeved at Jenna’s hot mom for writing the carefrontation letter, Jenna’s hot dad decided it would be best if he stayed with Jenna’s (probably also hot) grandma for a little while. Sad!

This episode also featured an underlying anti-bullying theme, but as always, I’m not sure any of the characters learned a lesson. And as messed up as it might be to say, I’m glad they didn’t. If the Awkward kids suddenly stopped bullying each other — particularly Sadie (Molly Tarlov), who looks incredible this season — I’m afraid we’d all stop laughing.

And no one wants that.

Tell me, Awkward fans, are you rooting for Matty in his quest to win back Jenna? Or do you like what she’s got going with Jake? And how do you feel about newly appointed Vice President Val? (Personally, I’m obsessed.) Drop your thoughts in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

More Awkward News:

1. ‘Awkward’ Recap: Matty Tells Jenna He Loves Her
  2. ‘Awkward’ Season Premiere: Matty Asks Jenna For A Second Chance
  3. ‘Awkward’ Season 2: Ricky Schwartz Has ‘Something Up His Sleeve’

E

Posted at 8:59 PM on July 19, 2012

Even though Jake and Jenna look as cute together, Jenna and Matty are better off being together. I am for #Team Matty<3

chelsea

Posted at 12:17 AM on July 18, 2012

everyone says mattie is the bad one, but have you all forgot that jake kissed jenna while he was dating lissa? hes not so perfect either. matty has changed, and he deserves another chance. I HOPE he gets one. #TeamMatty <3

team matty

Posted at 6:47 PM on July 17, 2012

I hate that Jenna’s acting like she doesn’t like Matty at all anymore!! I want them to get back together but as of right now it doesn’t seem like they will :(

whitv91

Posted at 12:47 AM on July 14, 2012

I am team Matty all the way. I cried for him last season at the formal. Jenna gets way to into her head. She really needs to listen to her heart a little more!!!

mr hans

Posted at 6:05 PM on July 13, 2012

sry dnt like jake much matty seems way cooler jenna just needs to go with the heart not chance or choice the heart the past holds her bck obviously she still loves the past

R

Posted at 8:17 AM on July 13, 2012

Oh yea….God forbid we stop laughing at bullying on tv….cause no one takes that seriously. Are you freaking kidding me. What a completely stupid thing to say.
Team Matty needs a reality check. what a total asshole he is for trying to stab his best friend in the back. He’s still completely immature and selfish. He doesn’t seem to care if it would hurt Jenna either.
Grow up!

Lizette

Posted at 3:05 AM on July 13, 2012

U guy r co

A

Posted at 2:25 AM on July 13, 2012

Team Matty!!! Hope they get back together. I have a feeling that they are end game. :)

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:14 AM on July 13, 2012

Sad Jake would make me sad. :(

Kim C

Posted at 1:39 AM on July 13, 2012

I like Jake don’t get me wrong but Matty is so munch better. Team Matty:)

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:14 AM on July 13, 2012

Isn’t that what’s so hard? Both guys have major plusses.

Steph

Posted at 1:21 AM on July 13, 2012

I think Jenna will and should choose Matty, They should be together. But Matty’s attitude in this episode was annoying, seriously he’s desparate to get her back, and I’m glad. Can’t wait till next episode

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:15 AM on July 13, 2012

Yeah, Matty was super-annoying this week… which was very unlike him.

Anna

Posted at 5:06 PM on July 13, 2012

I love Matty…but he was super annoying this week.

And although I was both Team Jake and Team Matty last season, I really want Jenna to stay with Jake now…he is adorable:-)

Anna

Posted at 5:09 PM on July 13, 2012

…oh and I really hope they are going for the pacey/joey version…or at least I hope they haven’t made up their mind about an endgame yet:)

Bruce