Baby Dies After Daycare Worker Leaves Him Face Down

Thu, July 12, 2012 6:57pm EST by 16 Comments
Baby Dies At Daycare

A neglectful daycare worker was charged with the death of three-month-old Dane Abledinger after she laid him on his stomach for a nap. How could this happen?

64-year-old Beverly Ann Greenagel, who runs a daycare service, was charged with two counts of second-degree manslaughter, child neglect and endangerment, and interfering with a body after the infant was found unresponsive in August 2011. Beverly allegedly placed the child face down on the floor for his scheduled nap, and when she went to wake up an hour later, he wasn’t breathing.

Beverly, who ran a day-care service out of her home in Minnesota, was also looking after more kids than is legally allowed, according to the Daily Mail.

She said she placed Dane on a flannel blanket on his stomach for a nap while she held a water balloon fight with the other children. She told police she didn’t want him to get trampled, so she moved him downstairs. When she went to wake him up, she noticed he was lifeless. One of the other kids called 911.

When police arrived, they noticed there were 20 children at her daycare, including two toddlers, three infants, and eight preschoolers. According to Minnesota law, a single caregiver can only have a maximum of three infants and toddlers, with a total of 12 children.

The cause of death was determined as probable positional asphyxia, which means that he likely died from the his face down position.

Dane also left blood spots on the blanket. Although Diane allegedly tried to cover up the incident by hiding the folded blanket, police found it after an official search of the home. They later matched the blood to that of the three-month-old, the Daily Mail stated.

Each of the two counts of second-degree manslaughter can be punished by up to 10 years of prison time each, along with a $20,000 fine.

Such a tragic story. Our thoughts are with Dane Abledinger’s family.

What do YOU think, HollyMoms? Let us know in the comments!

Daily Mail

– Christina Stiehl

Check Us Out On Pinterest!

More TK news:

1. Baby Dies, Toddler Hospitalized After Being Left In Hot Cars
  2. New Mom Smokes Bath Salts & Goes On Violent Rampage In Maternity Ward
  3. NY Mom Naked & On Bath Salts Attacks Son, 3, Then Tasered To Death

click here iherb coupon code

Posted at 5:10 PM on January 22, 2014

It’s very simple to find out any topic on web as compared to books, as I found this paragraph at this web site.

KATE

Posted at 12:29 PM on November 1, 2012

THIS IS CRAZY I THINK SHE SHOULD SERVE GOOD TIME

Emily

Posted at 9:33 PM on July 15, 2012

I think she should serve some jail time and permitted from child care for the blanket with blood being hidden and the maximum children thing, plus the irresponsible part, but I don’t think she should be In jail on two counts of man slaughter. I have two daughters myself and the baby smiling pulls at my heart. If I was his parent/s I would want her stoned and burned to death but emotional feelings aside…she should have known better yes but this woman has to live with this the rest of her life. She was hosting a water balloon fight for the other kids I’m sure she’s not that much of a monster.

Kat

Posted at 10:51 PM on July 14, 2012

Ok who puts the baby on the floor for a nap first of all when there are so many children? What happen to cribs or play pins for the infant? Second if the baby is asleep yea you are suppose to check on the infant at least 2-3 times out the hour for that reason of SIDS. And third yes we do different things since the old days!! its been a proven fact baby’s die from being put on there tummy’s for nap time!!! Regardless the woman should be locked up and not let out!!!

Sam

Posted at 6:56 AM on July 14, 2012

Ok its the parents fault for either going cheap on daycare (having a kid without means for adequate care) and/or not seeing when they brought baby that hello one woman and nearly 20 kids??? Thats a red flag, almost like they hope something go wrong.

misti

Posted at 11:46 PM on July 18, 2012

wow who would say thats its the parents fault… im sure that they are probably going through enough without putting the blame on them. its not there fault this is clearly neglect on the babysitters end. al though i dnt believe she should serve more then 5 years in prison she clearly did not mean the child any harm and was just a terrible accident that could have been prevented.

J

Posted at 3:17 PM on July 13, 2012

Ok she had more kids in her care than the state legally allows. I agree she should be fined for the. But to charge her with manslaughter seems excessive. The cause of death was listed as “probable” positional asphyxia, which means that they aren’t 100% sure what killed him, and at that age it very well could have been SIDS. I know we’re taught that it is best to put baby on their back to sleep because it reduces the risk of SIDS, but that does not mean that tummy sleeping causes SIDS. There is no saying for certain that this poor little angel baby would still be alive if he had taken his nap on his back that day.

DRAMALOVER

Posted at 1:44 PM on July 13, 2012

she is the WORST person
that baby was sooo cute and young
if i was the mom i would ask the police for more punishment and she sould not be able to baby sit ever agian and stay in jail untill she dies

Katie

Posted at 7:23 AM on July 13, 2012

WTF?! Why was there blood and how do they not know where it came from from the baby?

michelle

Posted at 1:44 AM on July 13, 2012

I hope she rots in jail! Ive taken many safety/first aid courses and you are to never lay a baby to sleep on there tummys!! If she was a good caregiver she would have known this.

Summer

Posted at 10:17 PM on July 12, 2012

Okay I’m going to stray off topic and point out something here. The article says (and I quote):

“Beverly, who ran a day-care service out of her home in Minnesota, was also looking after six more kids than is legally allowed, according to the Daily Mail….When police arrived, they noticed there were 20 children at her daycare, including two toddlers, three infants, and eight preschoolers. According to Minnesota law, a single caregiver can only have a maximum of three infants and toddlers, with a total of 12 children.”

So does the law say 18 or 20 children?

Also I don’t think she deserves to be punished for murder. The blood, I understand but obviously she’s put that baby to sleep like that before without anything happening so why would she expect it? And endangerment charges? Excuse me, I didn’t know you were supposed to look over a baby while he/she sleeps. She went down to check on him, which proves that she did care and didn’t expect to find him lifeless. I can only imagine how horrible she is feeling in her jail cell right now

Rachel

Posted at 11:00 PM on July 12, 2012

That’s unbelievable that you say that! You NEVER put a baby face down and she should know that! Thats definitely endangerment and a terrible job at her job of caring for children.

leigh

Posted at 12:13 AM on July 13, 2012

I know that the new rules are to lay a baby face up when sleeping… however, I’m in my 50’s and when my 3 sons were babies, this was not the rule. We never put our babies to sleep on their backs, and always put them to sleep on their stomachs. I never laid mine on any blanket though. Actually I breastfed for about a year with each one and they slept with me in my bed a lot of the time. That’s just how a lot of people did it back then. Now I see all these babies with the back of their heads flat and foreheads protruding, and some of them have to wear special corrective helmets for months or sometimes a year so their heads will go back to the correct shape before their cranium hardens and fuses together. So I know there is a corelation between stomach sleeping and SIDS but I think some common sense is in order.

Lexi

Posted at 12:58 AM on July 13, 2012

The woman must have been a licensed provider so she was told NOT to lay a baby down to sleep on their stomach. I understand she is old, that is the problem. Old people used to smoke during pregnancy and forward faced their kids in carseats at 6 months old too. We have found out A LOT since older women were having children. Common sense, as a daycare provider she knew not to lay him down on his stomach. Following these guidelines are just common sense. She was being lazy and neglectful hoping he’d go to sleep faster that way, I’m sure. This pisses me off. This is something that needs to be followed……

farah

Posted at 8:53 PM on July 12, 2012

this babysitter should be accused of being irresponsible in her job

t

Posted at 8:29 PM on July 12, 2012

u r so right lol it is crzy and tht babysitter can go die for all i care