Tom Cruise Chose Scientology Over Suri Cruise — Report

Tue, July 10, 2012 4:42pm EDT by 38 Comments
Tom Cruise Divorce

A former high-ranking Scientologist who worked with the ‘Rock of Ages’ star for years says Tom chose his religion over his 6-year-old daughter. Did the church force him to settle his divorce from Katie Holmes quickly, giving up primary custody?

A mere 11 days after Katie Holmes filed for divorce from Tom Cruise, they signed a shocking agreement that gave Katie primary custody over their 6-year-old daughter Suri Cruise. Ex-Scientologist Marty Rothbun said that Tom’s devotion to Scientology forced him to settle quickly and forgo his custodial rights.

“Yes, I think that Tom Cruise chose his religion over his daughter Suri,” he told RadarOnline.com. Marty worked with Tom for years, performing confession sessions called audits with the star from 2001-2004.

HollywoodLife.com‘s Editor-in-Chief Bonnie Fuller recently wrote a Bonnie Says saying that Tom should choose Suri over Scientology.

“I also think that [Scientology leader] David Miscavige pressured Cruise to settle the divorce quickly,” Marty added.

David is not just a Church leader, but also a major part of Tom’s life, serving as the best man in Tom and Katie’s 2005 wedding. Scientology and David have been major figures at the center of Tom and Katie’s divorce.

After leaving the Church in 2004, Marty has since become outspoken about the religion, although he still refuses to divulge specifics about Tom’s confessions and their work in the Church.

– Christina Stiehl

Check Us Out On Pinterest!

Kirsten

Posted at 4:02 PM on November 10, 2013

Lovely essay, got the satisfaction of studying

zoe

Posted at 2:39 AM on July 23, 2012

People have short memories esp katie h. She’s scared of scientollogy so she wanted Suri to be indocrinated by the catholics forgetting that a lot of Catholic priests abused/raped young boys and girls who grew up traumatized.

avhienda

Posted at 6:24 AM on June 4, 2013

Those were individual acts by sick and depraved individuals, not members following church tenets. That’s the difference. And no, I’m not catholic.

get to google page one

Posted at 10:42 PM on July 22, 2012

I will right away snatch your rss feed as I can’t to find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly allow me know in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

Meredith

Posted at 8:03 PM on July 21, 2012

Leave Tom Cruise alone you are all being nasty. Obviously Katie and Tom still care about eachother but have differences. Everytime the news and gossip columns say something wrong and cruel about Suri’s parents you are hurting the child. Not very clever of you all. Suri is not silly or immune from you all.

kathy

Posted at 11:48 PM on July 15, 2012

Hey Tom – this is part of my religion. Its called Karma. I’d rather roast lamb any day of the week…

The Dash Diet Action Plan

Posted at 7:58 AM on July 13, 2012

Thanks . I’ve been looking for this info . Good info I’ll check back for more info in regards to the Dash Diet.

eli

Posted at 12:20 PM on July 12, 2012

Tom will get old eventually he will regret leaving his family for his religion, now it’s ok he’s still young and can do movies and make sure he makes more money, if he runs out of money scientology will drop him. I am guessing next time he will get marry his bride must be on the same religion I am sure it will work out forever.

don

Posted at 12:14 PM on July 12, 2012

if he chose his religion, he should just let suri out of it and when she grows up she can choose her own, bad father

pattikinns

Posted at 12:00 PM on July 12, 2012

Really are some of you ID**** tom more about his cult.. Yeah he lives Suri.. But his past actions speak loud and clear… So no he wasn’t thinking oh my child belongs w/ her mother if that was so what about connor and bella… Stop try make excuses for him.. His cult was and is more important to him.. Why would he not fight for Suri like the other 2.. Someone should tell tom the truth shall set you free..

YEE

Posted at 5:40 PM on July 11, 2012

I do believe the church wished to settle quickly to protect their best interest. If this dragged on, it could have created a lot of negative publicity for the church. Although the details that Suri will attend a private school have emerged, we still do not know if Suri will be kept from Scientology altogether. During her time with Tom she could be pursuaded to do a quick audit or two, it is just par for the course when you have children with a Scientologist. Although an agreement has been signed I don’t think we’ve heard the last of this story. Tom is a frightening control freak, and once the dust settles I severly doubt he will just walk away with his tail between his legs.

buba

Posted at 1:36 PM on July 11, 2012

Only katie and Nicole really knew who Tom C really is.

Its so creepy to think that Katie had no choice but to carefully and discreetly plan her exit from their marriage.

lolanyc

Posted at 10:02 AM on July 11, 2012

I don’t think Tom chose religion over Suri. He knows how much Katie wanted her daughter, a little girl belongs with her mom. He knows this. He’ll see her I’m sure. No one needed a long drawn out divorce. It was done quick and is best for all parties. I hate this website.. first you want Katie to get custody then when she does you call Tom a bad father? Everyone run over to perezhilton, or TMZ. This page Bonnie Fuller is a wack job. Spreads lies lies lies.. all the damn time. I notice alot of comments complaining about this yet it doesnt change.

Chris

Posted at 8:18 PM on July 11, 2012

If you followed this logic than Nicole would have had her two children with her right now, not Tom. She had dirt on him, plain and simple. Otherwise with his wealth and power, he would have fought tooth and nail.

Dragonfly2292

Posted at 10:02 PM on July 11, 2012

WHAT??!! Tom KNOWS how a little girl belongs with her mom??!!!

What about what he did to Nicole Kidman??!! Her children were 6 and 8 and they needed their Mom, too, but Tom kept them away from HER and turned them against her!!! She asked for sole custody, too, but he got joint custody and then worked to turn them against her. He also blindsided her after she got pregnant, he renewed their wedding vows and when she miscarried he filed for divorce without telling her. She once said, you “don’t say NO to Tom”

Wake up and see the truth. A 43 yr old man when after a 26 yr old girl! because he though he could control her for life!!!!!

shannon

Posted at 9:19 AM on July 11, 2012

Sick thought that some dude… could be anyone… would choose a cult over his beautiful child. it is just sick. People will look at this differently because we all know who Tom is, but lets be honest if it was a poor guy we found this out about we would be appalled. Frankly I am…

avhienda

Posted at 6:27 AM on June 4, 2013

Agreed

JD

Posted at 6:21 AM on July 11, 2012

It’s nothing new for cult members and leaders to choose their cult over family.That is how isolation and saturation is possible.

shannon

Posted at 9:20 AM on July 11, 2012

agreed

Tia

Posted at 4:02 AM on July 11, 2012

It all depends on how you look at the situation. When my parents got divorced, my dad told my mom that he was going to fight for my siblings and I, but in the end, he didn’t fight. My mom was happy that she got full custody of my siblings and I, but angry that my dad “didn’t even try to fight for his children”.

When I was older, I asked him about it, and he said that he thought he was doing the right thing by keeping us in the home we grew up in, in the neighborhood we knew, in the school that we went to. He did what he thought was best for us.

I don’t think Tom chose Scientology over Suri. I think he chose her well being over his wanting to have custody of her. We won’t know if it was a good decision or not until she’s older.

Dragonfly2292

Posted at 10:04 PM on July 11, 2012

NO, he chose what’s best for TOM and only TOM. that’s what he does!!!!!!

Jennie

Posted at 12:58 AM on July 11, 2012

I am not a fan of either Tom or Katie, but seriously your comments, Bonnie, are nuts. I am a social worker and it appears that both Tom and Katie love Suri and their extended family and wanted to settle quickly so they could get away from this type of slanderous and speculative comments.

Me

Posted at 1:19 AM on July 11, 2012

I agree completely. I mean I’m not really a Tom fan, but the guy just can’t catch a break. If he had fought harder, people would accuse him of trying to convert Suri, and if he didn’t, he doesn’t love her.

choocho

Posted at 2:27 AM on July 11, 2012

Jennie, you’re a Scientologist social worker?

Zilla

Posted at 12:37 AM on July 11, 2012

How can people even live with themselves spreading crap like this? Unbelievable. By all accounts, Tom Cruise is a great dad. It is totally irresponsible to print speculations to the contrary and present them as fact.

choocho

Posted at 2:29 AM on July 11, 2012

Is it disrupting your e-meter?

DragoNFLY2292

Posted at 10:06 PM on July 11, 2012

Read what he did to Nicole Kidman Then come back here and tell us again what a “good guy he is!” NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cornnie

Posted at 11:40 PM on July 10, 2012

The man sounds like he doesn’t think for himself. This religion still remains a mystery St Lucia villas

6 years ago Bonnie

Posted at 10:36 PM on July 10, 2012

Did Bonnie read the statement “doing what is best for Suri aka means
That being with her mom full time”. He gave her what she wanted
Period it had nothing to do with it at all! What is best for the child!
He did not chose Scientology over his daughter! Let’s see now articles
From 2003,2005 , 2006 , yes Bonnie 6 years ago! Bet you can’t show
Us the e mail or audio of him David phoning you and telling you this
Because it is not true..TMZ gave up too!

choocho

Posted at 2:30 AM on July 11, 2012

You’re a Scientologist, right?

avhienda

Posted at 6:29 AM on June 4, 2013

LOL!

Tyra

Posted at 6:22 PM on July 10, 2012

I don’t agree, I don’t think Tom Cruise chose Scientology over his daughter Suri. I think he decided to do the right thing for his flesh and blood daughter. And it’s not like he was forced out of her life he gets to spend a lot of quality time with her, and he lets her grow up in a normal environment.

Nora

Posted at 6:47 PM on July 10, 2012

I agree with you. He chose THE BEST THING FOR HER – avoiding a scandalous divorce…he is her father still. She’ll only live with her mom like most kids do anyway.

Good Luck to them both.

mimi

Posted at 5:44 PM on July 10, 2012

I don’t think so!

I think it’s the other way around. Katie wants a full physical custody opf suri and if topm wants the same then for sure it’s going to be a messy divorce. Instead of them fighting in the court, they sat dow and amicably settled everything.

Tom loves his daughter so much that he allowed Suri to stay with her mom and have generous visitation rights too.

I think couples who are divorcing should follow their example as they know that it is their kid who will suffer too much if they go on fighting and dragging their personal lives to be exposed to the media.

disco

Posted at 5:28 PM on July 10, 2012

One day Suri will get on the internet and read all about this. And she will be hurt by reports like this. So stop harping on the child like shes an adult. Her parents made the decision to do what is best for her. You’re just making crap up to get more ad clicks.

Michael

Posted at 10:09 AM on July 11, 2012

No, when she grows up and reads this stuff she’ll be glad she got out of Jonestown and away from Jim.

kathy

Posted at 11:41 PM on July 15, 2012

U have got to be joking, anyone that would support tom cruise. He only gave Katie what she wanted to protect the church, his image and his own broken heart. He didnt give a rats about mimi or nicole cos he was over it n did what the hell he wanted. Was it in Connor n Bellas best interest to lose their mother ??? I dont think so. He gave Katie what she wanted cos she left him n he is the one who is devastated for a change. What goes around comes around. Sucked in to him, I say. Arrogant idiot, jumping around on Oprahs couch believing in such crap. No wonder she left. He knew if he went after Suri, his image would have crumbled and NOTHING is more important than that!!!

judy collins

Posted at 9:07 AM on July 17, 2012

i think you nailed it on the head…couldn’t agree with you more. initially, the news was saying he was going to file in california and try for joint custody. i think katie was just too smart for him and her dad gave her all the right angles to play. good work katie! tom should have seen that she’s been way too thin and miserable for years…all was great as long as nothing changed. that’s not being a loving husband. that’s very selfish. she’s better off without him.