‘Jane By Design’ Star Erica Dasher Previews Jane & Eli’s First Real Date

Tue, July 10, 2012 11:55am EDT by 17 Comments
Jane By Design Spoiler

Plus, Erica gives HollywoodLife.com the scoop on Jane’s future with Billy and what she learned from Teri Hatcher.

If you’re one of those Jane By Design fans who’s desperately waiting for Jane (Erica Dasher) and Billy (Nick Roux) to proclaim their true feelings for one another, your wait is… far from over, thanks to a certain gentleman named Eli (Bryan Dechart). Erica tells HollywoodLife.com that Jane and Eli “do finally go on a date,” but of course, it’s not without its complications.

“There is the matter of the age difference, which obviously hasn’t been addressed yet,” Erica points out, adding that Eli and Jane “really take a liking to each other. … He’s a really genuine character. He cares very much about the craft and working in the fashion world, and he senses that’s also a passion of Jane’s.”

So what else can fans expect from Jane’s love life as the season continues? Read on for my full interview with Erica:

Since Jane is focused on Eli, does that mean she’s putting Billy on the back burner?

Well, Zoe has showed up and she’s trying to navigate this new dynamic [with Billy and Jane]. I’m not sure she knows how to handle it, and I’m not sure she knows quite what her feelings for Billy are. She doesn’t know what they mean yet. Both her and Billy will question that. You’ll also see Billy and Jane together, which I love, because Nick and I have such great chemistry.

And what about bachelor No. 3, Nick Fadden?

Nick Fadden, right! The other boy. He definitely comes into play, but he sort of has his own story line that develops as well. What’s been really fun for me this season has been watching the other characters become more three-dimensional.

But Jane isn’t just juggling guys anymore. She’s also dealing with her mom’s surprise return. How has it been working with Teri Hatcher?

Teri is incredible. I was really nervous, as I was with Andie MacDowell, but she’s so wonderful and funny and welcoming. The episode just aired where she sang at the piano, which was one of the first things she had to do when she came to set. She had to be totally uninhibited in front of a very large group of extras. It was so cool to watch her work, because she was nervous, but she really embraced it. She’s really kind and we all became great friends. We’re very lucky to have her.

It also killed that oh-so-popular theory that Gray is secretly Jane’s mom.

I think there were some people who were disappointed that that wasn’t true.

I’m glad. If Gray was Jane’s mom, wouldn’t that make Eli her cousin?

Yeah, then it would just get weird.

How will we see Jane’s relationship with her mom develop over the next few episodes?

Jane’s very excited to have her mother back, while Ben is obviously much more wary. Jane is intent on building the relationship, but there are some cracks. There are some things that aren’t being discussed that need to be, and I think that’ll require Jane’s mom to step up her game a little bit. Whether or not she’ll be able to do that, you’ll have to wait and see. But it’s a unique thing you don’t normally see on TV. This mom hasn’t been present, but then she comes back. It’s a huge thing to have to deal with!

OK, Jane fans — What do you think of Jane’s budding relationship with Eli? Would you rather see her and Billy together? And how do you really feel about Jane’s estranged mom? Drop a comment with your thoughts, you know I love to hear them! (Plus, check out ABC Family’s official JBD page for more show info.)

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Stars Forced To Evacuate London Hotel After Fire
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Recap: Jane Clashes With Her Long-Lost Mom
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Recap: Jane’s Mom Returns For Her Birthday

Rodgin Grace

Posted at 3:03 AM on May 8, 2013

please please please make season 2!!!!!!! i reeeeeaaaaallllllyyyy LOVE Jane by Design!!!!! I want to see what’s going to happen to all of the characters… :'(

mau

Posted at 9:00 AM on April 14, 2013

i and my family really love the show..were so upset to know that it was canceled..please make another season or just make a movie for it..please… :) <3

mariella

Posted at 9:54 PM on January 13, 2013

pleasee make another season!!!!

vittorio tulipano

Posted at 9:06 PM on November 27, 2012

Keep Jane and Billy sperated at all times !!! If not , then the show would be ruined like all the other shows !!

Bailee

Posted at 2:02 AM on August 4, 2012

I want Jane and billy to be together I hope there’s another season

Lydia

Posted at 9:51 AM on August 3, 2012

I really want Jane and Billy to br together I like the suspense but I think we have waited to long but its okay because it makes the show more interesting.

hinata

Posted at 6:06 AM on July 14, 2012

I want jane and billy to together ‎​so badly! But its also important that ‎​dey date other pple it wuld make deir feelings ‎for each other stronger! And jane’s mum should jes start being a mum alredi!

Britini

Posted at 1:53 PM on July 13, 2012

I really want to see Billy and Jane together! I think Jane and her mom should develop a good relationship too! And i want to know what will happen with Ben and Rita?

jeanette

Posted at 7:40 PM on July 12, 2012

I think that Jane deserves to be with billy! Billy just needs to suck it up and tell jane he loves her. Hopefully thats what happens! Loved the article!

Adrianne

Posted at 6:56 PM on July 12, 2012

I think Jane and Eli should just be friends cuz it might be weird and difficult going out with someone u work with and stuff. I think Jane and Billy should get together!<3 they r so cute together!! And have been through a lot they'll do great! And their relationship is so strong that their friendship can never break!<3 I think that Janes mom needs to stop it with her ex-boyfriends and be a mom!

Stacie

Posted at 5:43 PM on July 12, 2012

I soo want Billy and Jane together they have that ” we best
Friends but we really love way other ” thing going on !

Grace

Posted at 4:36 PM on July 12, 2012

I love the thought of Jane and Billy together, but I wouldn’t want them to actually get together. Then there would be nothing to hope for! And the idea of a boy and a girl who can simply be best friends, with nothing romantic, is also one of my favorites. :)

Ashley

Posted at 11:06 AM on July 12, 2012

SHE AND NICK ROUX HAVE GREAT CHEMISTRY?? hint hint they may be dating!

Rocío.

Posted at 6:16 PM on July 11, 2012

I loved it. Obviously, I WANT to see Billy and Jane together, but I guess that makes sense that Jane and Eli start dating because, this would make stronger Billy and Jane’s feelings, for each other.

Jenna

Posted at 4:01 PM on July 11, 2012

I really want Jane and Eli to be together! Billy and Jane would be too cliche..

Lydia

Posted at 9:55 AM on August 3, 2012

I see but Jane and Billy love each other so that makes a difference.and Eli slept with someone else.

Carrie

Posted at 3:09 AM on July 11, 2012

I hope Billy and Jane get together soon and I hope there will be a second season of the show. It is really good show. I think this show is one of the cutiest shows I’ve seen. I really like it. Jane and Billy are so cute together.