Miranda Kerr Stirs Controversy With 'I Didn’t Want to Drug My Baby' Comment

Sat, July 7, 2012 4:51pm EDT by 36 Comments
Miranda Kerr Baby

Miranda boasts about her drug-free delivery of her son, Flynn Christopher, stirring outrage among mothers who had epidurals or C-sections during labor.

Miranda Kerr claims her natural approach to childbirth is the best way to start a child’s life — deciding epidurals would cause a less responsive, drugged up baby. HollyMoms, do YOU think she’s saying it’s bad to use epidurals?

It’s revealed in the new issue of Harper’s Bazaar UK, that Miranda, 29, and her husband, Orlando Bloom, 35, agreed not to use an epidural during the birth of their son, fearing it would risk the success of many factors during the delivery. She believed her decision resulted in a healthier child with instant success in breastfeeding.

Her views on the epidurals formed greatly from viewing videos on baby bonding.

“The baby was a little bit drugged up and I was like, ‘Well, I don’t want that. I wanted to give him the best possible start in life I could.”

Her statements have stirred controversy, with mothers saying Miranda is self-glorifying and dismissive to all the mothers who do not share their views and choose their same delivery method.

“It’s none of my business, but I am so disgusted by this article. To imply that women who don’t go drug-free are not giving their babies the best start in life or aren’t going to take to breastfeeding immediately is irresponsible,” wrote a commenter in a People.com post article where Miranda’s comments appeared.

Another commentor wrote, “I’m so sick of people acting like those of us who had epidurals/c-setions didn’t “give our babies the best start.”

HollyMoms – how do you feel about Miranda’s statements about epidurals?

Check Us Out On Pinterest!

More Miranda news:

1. Red Carpet Beauty Of The Day: Miranda Kerr At Tribeca Film Festival!
  2. Miranda Kerr Will Wear $2.5 Million Bra For Victoria’s Secret!
  3. Miranda Kerr Rocks A One-Piece On The Runway! Shop My Fave Five One Piece Bathing Suits For YOU!

April

Posted at 6:51 PM on July 10, 2012

thats such a one sided thing to say!! I dont agree with people opting for c-sections for no reason and not trying natural first but there are some of us in this world who cant have babys naturally, our bodies wont allow it. I had an emergency c-section and statements like that really really annoy me. maybe celebritys should focus on themselves and not judging others! dragging their kids around the world with no routine/stability for them…but they seem to think theyre soo much better than us non celebritys! The c-section hasnt given my son a “bad” start in life, we live in nz and are a happy healthy family

Laurie

Posted at 12:44 AM on July 10, 2012

I’m not being harsh…it should be law that all children are vaccinated, otherwise it doesn’t do any good. I’m sick of “Do Gooders” like you thinking that this will hurt your children – there’s no proof of that!

Courtney

Posted at 2:11 PM on July 9, 2012

@Laurie not all childrens immune systems can handle the vaccinations some of which weren’t always available to begin with don’t be so harsh. some moms and babies would die if c-sections weren’t performed or the child would have learning disabilities like Cerebral Palsy or blindness from issues with the umbilical chord and lack of oxygen. I should know I have vision problems from lack of oxygen at birth. Miranda was lucky not all moms that want a natural bitth can have one because of complications with pregnancy which make a c-section neccessary to save their life and those of their child or children.

katie

Posted at 9:13 AM on July 9, 2012

I had a c section and was successful in breastfeeding immediately after birth

Laurie

Posted at 12:05 AM on July 9, 2012

Cynical,
Idiots like you are the reason that whooping cough, etc. are making a come-back. GET YOUR KIT VACCINATED so the rest of us and our kids don’t get these diseases!! These diseases were amost totally gone until people like you decided vaccines were a bad idea!!

Cynical

Posted at 9:23 AM on July 8, 2012

Hope she didn’t undo all that good work by vaccinating her child 24 hours later!

Cricket

Posted at 7:48 AM on July 8, 2012

Miranda is a lovely young lady. I’m glad her desired way of labor was a success and that she didn’t have to have life saving measures performed that include a C-section. I had to have 2 and I don’t feel guilty at all…just thankful for healthy babies. I’m very small and had big babies but Miranda is tall and evidently has a good body for baby birthing! I hope any future births for her are just as successful.

gentle-mummy

Posted at 6:01 AM on July 8, 2012

Drugs that cross the placenta are not the best idea!

I fully agree with her, no idea who she is to be honest but that is irrelevant.
Anyone who takes offence at what she said, should surely look at that WHY they feel offended?
Guilt is a powerful thing.

I myself have made choices in life and parenting that i have later found out that they may not have been the best choice but I have accepted that and moved on.
and if I choose to do something a certain way, what is the point in getting defensive if someone advocates doing it differently and has evidence to back it up.

Kate

Posted at 4:58 AM on July 8, 2012

Every woman should have the chance to decide what happens to her body and her baby during birth, she deserves an experience that empowers her, what ever that might be. She should not be forced to give birth without drugs when she wants them or help if she needs it, but she should not be labelled as wrong if she understands what she wants and makes choices for different reasons either. Sadly most women are not well enough supported in birth to be in a position to birth like Miranda :-(
She;s right though, there is plenty of evidence to show that babies who have narcotics during labour (pethidine, diamorphine – clinical heroin incase you didn’t already know that) either by injection into their muscles, veins or spine (epidurals and spinals use narcotics to give the nerve block) get them into their blood and their brains. It makes them more sleepy and it makes their own nerves less responsive. It can also decrease their hunger sensations just the same as it does when adults take it.
There is also evidence that shows when a woman is correctly supported she NEEDS and asks for less pain relief. That doesn’t make her superhuman, it doesn’t make those who don’t have that support wrong, but it does reflect really sadly on the mess modern birthing has got into! We are the only mammal that mucks up our birth environment, and we are the only mammal that screams in pain during labour/birth. Coincidence? I think not. And don’t talk about ‘human head size’ and our pelvis shape, our babies at least are compact and relatively round, watch a calf emerge and they look decidedly more difficult to push out!

mummyc

Posted at 4:56 AM on July 8, 2012

Why is she being criticised? I think you may find that the way she gave birth is NORMAL instead of this ridiculous obsession of c-section by scalpel happy doctors.

If you actually read the article she is NOT judging anyone, she is stating why she birthed that way….she shouldn’t have to justify herself anyway. Her body, her baby, her choice.

anonymous

Posted at 11:39 PM on July 7, 2012

WellI had a very long painful natural birth and I needed stitches and my son would not breastfeed he wasn’t even intrested when he was first introduced to the breast so maybe you should do your research before you comment every birth is different and every persons view on birth is different it’s your body and your choice how and what you want to do when it comes to the birth every women is allowed their opinion but judging women on what they choose to do is so wrong and totally uncalled for

nursemom

Posted at 10:53 PM on July 7, 2012

If you do your research then you will find out that babies that are born when the mom used an epidural are usually less alert and dont breastfeed so nicely after delivery. I have seen this with my own two children. By the first one I had an epidural and the baby was groggy and did not want to be breastfed. While by my second child I went completely natural, no drugs and the baby was born alert and breastfed beautifully right away. I also found that my recovery was much better with my second and I did not need any stitches since I could feel when I was pushing. So yes there is definitely room to say that epidurals are not the best option….do your research and then talk.

tiki

Posted at 9:51 PM on July 7, 2012

why would it matter? thats HER view, HER opinion. that’s what she decided because how she feels. don’t take it so personally. I certainly don’t.

I think she was just explaining her feelings. like I believe it’s pointless to circumcise. but I don’t think my opinion should be seen as an attack on anyone. It’s just what I believe. simple. no need to get up in arms about it.

Aly

Posted at 9:09 PM on July 7, 2012

Just because so many women are having this advanced pain management as an automatic treatment during labor and delivery does not make it a necessity. Nor does it make someone choosing NOT to partake in the medication wrong. I gave birth twice totally naturally. Was it the right thing to do? Yes, for me it certainly was. I had none of the complications that some of my friends had with not being able to push effectively because they were numb from the waist down. Resulting it their babies spending a long time in the birth canal one baby going into distress. So saying that an epidural can’t harm a baby isn’t technically correct. I also chose not to be medicated because of my concerns about the effects on my baby. The second time I chose not to be medicated because I had learned from my first labor and delivery that I could tolerate the pain.

Kiki

Posted at 6:41 PM on July 7, 2012

I guess she found the time to graduate from Yale in medicine while she was posing in underwear. She is a real expert in this field so we should all listen to her, NOT.

Kylie

Posted at 1:30 AM on July 8, 2012

You are ignorant, typical coming from “kiki” TRUEEEEEE

Lori

Posted at 10:25 AM on July 8, 2012

She is an expert when it comes to her own body and her own birth experience. There is not a Dr on the planet who would know better when it comes to those two specialisms……

Haha

Posted at 6:29 PM on July 7, 2012

Epidural does not hurt the baby but for medical reason that a lot of people don’t know that it actually damages your tail bone. This result in back hurting when you get older.

annoyed

Posted at 6:20 PM on July 7, 2012

What’s up with these super models and there negative comments.Like Gisele and her breast feeding comment.Not every one can look prefect after giving birth.And EVERYONE is diff just like each delivery is diff so would she have said no to pain relivers if her baby was stressed n the heart rate was dropping n she needed a emergency c-section and moms do try to breast feed but sometimes don’t produce milk.everyone is diff they should keep somethings to themselves.I congratulate the moms who can give birth w/no pain relivers n who breastfeed successfully if thats the plan they had but that’s BC thats what they wanted.But all Loving devoted mothers get credit in my book its hard work being a great mother.

sarah

Posted at 5:09 AM on July 8, 2012

Err…. Mums with breast tissue make milk, fact. It is the hormonal response to removing the baby and placenta from the uterus. Mums make enough to feed their baby, fact. They don’t always get that milk to their baby easily, and if they don’t sort it themselves or get help then their supply drops because continued production is determined by how much milk baby is getting, not by how much baby wants or needs! Lack of milk is directly related to lack of support, their bodies work, the system fails them. Drugs that stop pain also stop other nerve feeling, such as the nerves which tell your body to let your milk to your baby, stop those nerves working and you slow your feeding right down, your baby is hungry and you don’t give him enough milk. That is not the same as not making enough. It is time to stop blaming women and pretending that our bodies are broken. Society is broken and it stops women having the right to use their bodies properly. ‘No milk’ is a lie you were spun to cover up the fact that those caring for you did not care for you properly or support you adequately. Not your fault, but the fault of those ‘experts’ with ‘degrees’ and years in school who have seen so much illness they have forgotten that our bodies are well designed and work just fine most of the time!

Janna

Posted at 6:13 PM on July 7, 2012

I’ve never heard that an epidural drugs the baby. My daughter’s delivery went perfect WITH an epidural. She in no way showed signs of being drugged and within 20 minutes of her birth she was nursing just fine. Sounds like BS to me. Women need to respect the fact that there are several options on birthing and feeding their babies, and nobody’s better than anyone else based on the option they choose.

annoyed

Posted at 6:22 PM on July 7, 2012

I agree.

Elizabeth

Posted at 1:35 AM on July 8, 2012

Oh gosh, you guys all sound sore and butt hurt, insecure and jealous. The fact that you take this statement personal,which is clearly her opinion shows the real truth here. Miranda is amazing at everything she does. What is there to hate? She didn’t say that everyone else is beneath her, she said she didn’t want to drug her baby, meaning, if you give yourself a drug, the baby will receive it also. Epidermal is by definition a type of drug used for blank. Anything you give to yourself will surely be connected to the baby. It’s not rocket science people, quit making a mountain out of a mole hill. =/ You ladies are pathetic.

Liz

Posted at 1:37 AM on July 8, 2012

*Epidural*

Lila

Posted at 8:36 AM on July 8, 2012

@Elizabeth I totally agree with you. Kerr wasn’t insulting anybody, just stating her opinion.

Lele

Posted at 5:34 PM on July 7, 2012

This comment coming from the woman who named her baby Flynn.
Let’s see how good his start is when he starts school with that name.
Labor pain varies and to say that is insulting.

emily:).

Posted at 5:31 PM on July 7, 2012

ahhhh…double post. sorry. lol.

emily:).

Posted at 5:29 PM on July 7, 2012

Well, she’s definietly more woman than I am. I had an epidural not very long into labor and was very happy with the choice, (once it kicked it..the stab in my back sucked). I never really thought the woman had much say in getting a c-section or not, i know i didn’t with my doctor.

emily:).

Posted at 5:24 PM on July 7, 2012

she’s definietly more woman than i am. i had an epidural and i’m very happy with my choice.

CoCo

Posted at 9:42 AM on July 8, 2012

That doesn’t make you less of a woman..

britt

Posted at 5:23 PM on July 7, 2012

The epidural does not ‘drug’ the baby. Pain meds prior to an epidural are what causes that effect.

Selena

Posted at 1:45 AM on July 8, 2012

Any type of medicine that you take or inject into your body when pregnant will effect your baby. It’s the same with food, b/c eating unhealthy food will also effect your baby. It’s the same w/medicine and other man made drugs. They are obviously not good for the average person so why would they be ok to take while pregnant. They won’t make you fall over and die, but they are not good for your body in general. I eat organic, and so does she. There’s a reason why so many people eat organic, we don’t want pesticides, chemicals, gmo’s, additives, fillers, synthetic ingredients in our food, organic food taste better ect.

sarah

Posted at 5:19 AM on July 8, 2012

Epidurals have morphine or a synthetic opiate in them. The morphine seeps into your blood within seconds, goes straight to your baby and then into their brain. Anyone who told you different is a liar, misinformed by someone who should know better or a medic who has not read their stuff. Heroin is not good for you, we know that, yet we give it in pure form to mothers in labour – the same mothers who have avoided coffee, drugstore painkillers, been careful about what foods they eat, paranoid about drinking alcohol incase it has an effect on their baby. We are careful right up until we go into hospital, they we take a hefty dose of smack. WTF?
And if you want to know more about that, listen to Davina McCall, she’s a recovering addict who says that birthing drug-free was a much bigger high than she ever got from heroin… That is a statement it is hard to argue with when you are asking for heroin (known in hospital as diamorphine) whilst you birth your precious and protected child :-(
Hire a doula, use water, work with your body and see what it can do, drugs should be a last resort, an emergency treatment for a crisis, not something you get as soon as you walk through the door.

Lindsey

Posted at 7:35 AM on July 8, 2012

Sarah, I couldn’t have put this better myself! I totally agree with you!

Katie

Posted at 5:00 PM on July 7, 2012

Love Miranda, but really?! That’s like saying every woman who chooses to have an epidural or c-section does not want the absolute best for their child, which is completely false. Sometimes a c-section IS best.

Bronwyn McAllister

Posted at 7:52 PM on September 16, 2012

Miranda was not being judgemental of the women who choose to have epidurals & didn’t even mention a Caesarian! My son was directly affected by an epidural & couldnt attach for breast feeding so I expressed my milk for the next 4 months. Also his head was coming out sideways so had to have a forcep delivery & I lost three litres of blood had to have a blood transfusion! I am convinced the epidural slowed the labour & caused this to happen! Why do we care so much about what celebrities think anyway? I suggest to all mums to be to do your own research for your babies health & well being & to the people whining about what Miranda said: get over yourself she doesn’t care what you do to your body!! Seriously!