Is Canadian Man World's Worst Father? Abandons Son, 10, With Cancer

Tue, July 3, 2012 3:03pm EDT by 41 Comments
Canadian Dad Abandons Kids

After being ordered to pay child support that he couldn’t afford, a Canadian man moved to the Philippines and abandoned his four children, including a son with cancer and a daughter with Down syndrome — is he the world’s worst father?

Hans Mills, 53, was ordered to pay $4,000 in child support to his ex-wife to help support their four children. Claiming he was unable to pay the high amount, Hans sent his ex-wife an email informing her that he had left the country!

On November 2, 2011, he wrote, “The result of the legal instrument you recently designed and implemented is there’s no possibility of a comfortable life or (secure) retirement for me in Canada at all. Therefore I have left the country to seek greener pastures elsewhere, and will never return. Well done, Einstein. Good luck and goodbye.”

Hans left behind four children who desperately needed his support: a 19-year-old son who is a drug addict, a 17-year-old daughter who suffers from depression, a 14-year-old daughter with Down syndrome, and a 10-year-old son suffering from cancer.

The father of four is now remorseful for so quickly abandoning his children. In an interview with thestar.com, Hans confessed, “I did a terrible, awful thing, because I had no reasonable option. I miss my children terribly. I abandoned Canada, but not my children.”

Although he says he regrets his decision, he still claims he will “never, ever, ever, ever” pay his child support or return home to his children.

Hans has a history of financial problems and claims that as his reason for abandoning his children. We think there is absolutely no excuse for abandoning your children EVER. What do you think? Sound off below!

HollyMoms, do you think Hans Mills is the worst father ever?

– Jenny Pickard

Check Us Out On Pinterest!

More HollyBaby news:

1. Kailyn Lowry Shows Off Giant Back Tattoo
  2. Chris Hemsworth Cradles Baby India Rose — Adorable Pic
  3. Pregnant Snooki Pushes BEER-Filled Stroller

Joe jackson

Posted at 3:59 PM on September 6, 2014

Whoever said it was child support he wasn’t willing to pay, you are wrong. The unedited article said it was spousal support that he refused to pay, additional 1350 on top of 2200 he was already paying.I have no sympathy for that dog Donna who can’t live off 2500 govt support plus 2000 rent and 2200( now gone child support) , total of nearly 7k a month. If you wanted 8k plus F off, no one unless they are making 250 k or more can afford 4k. I also feel,bad for the kids too. I’m sure many guys would’ve left too if they had the choice. To Donna and her pathetic supporters get yourselves a job unless you are missing your arms or legs!

Leslie

Posted at 8:00 PM on April 24, 2014

1 Include a link on your website – that you want them to do.
In launching a direct mailing in Toronto as well as medicine 8 your lay-out.
They should look at it on the flyers. In fact, if you mail postcards yourself when you want
to sell. Welcome to integrated, more effective marketing, you should be fine.
So that is something that haas always stumped lead opt-in page needs to
be professional, so mke suee medicine 8 to produce strong copy based on facts.

Johnathan

Posted at 5:40 PM on April 17, 2014

Secondly, the Chinese women involved, although born in America or
Canada, will still approximately have around about 35 to 40 percent mainland Chinese cultural conditioning as part of the
personality which can’t be avoided. The grade of such products is top notch with the result
that these are preferred over the globe. In mature markets, measurements of digital competence show prestige brands tightly bunched
together. Yet, only 42 percent in the measured brands have mobile-enabled sites.

deannamaria

Posted at 8:36 PM on November 27, 2012

Wow these comments. A bunch of pathetic losers that think child support is a privilege. How about don’t have kids?

Katrina MacDuff

Posted at 5:21 PM on September 23, 2012

you know most of the comments are correct when it comes to standing up for the guy ill be honest i feel for this guy in what life time could he have been able to pay such a large amount, but in my own experience as i am going to be a single mother in a matter of weeks the father of my child said he didnt want to be a father and he didnt want to be a husband anymore and he left with out any further explanation that to be is abandonment i can understand not being able to pay the child support but u just dont leave with a reason or at least some kind of warning i dont even care about child support but i do care that his daughter will never know who her father is because i dont want to have her feeling like she wasnt wanted by him thats what pisses me off about these men what are us mothers supposed to say when our children start to ask wheres my daddy.

T-dot DAD

Posted at 4:23 PM on July 20, 2012

Until or if it happens to you , you have no idea what like. The ratio of men to women ordered to pay child support is 4000:1. In my own personal case, the mother disappeared with my daughter for over 15 years, i had no contact, my daughter is basically a stanger to me, and I’m suppose to pay for years that she was not a part of my life, my hard earn money is being sent to a woman who “kidnapped” my child. i wonder if he needs a roommate ;)

Uppa baby double stroller

Posted at 10:30 AM on July 14, 2012

Thanks for another informative website. The place else could I am getting that kind of information written in such an ideal method? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the look out for such info.

we

Posted at 7:44 AM on July 6, 2012

The poor man’s fatherhood and financial well-being were taken from him long before he had to escape to the Philipinnes. This poor guy got a terrible deal.

The greedy mother and corrupt family courts are the evildoers responsible for dismembering this family. Than the sick mother uses every propaganda trick in the book to play the victim, including using her downs syndrome child and cancer-remission boy in an attempt to gain sympathy.

This mother should be thrown in jail along with the judge and mediator who caused this disgraceful debacle.

My message to the children: look past the propaganda and see your father’s side of the story. You will be fatherless because your mother and the courts drove your father away.

Jim

Posted at 12:56 PM on July 10, 2012

Yup, but don’t tell that to the militant feminists who write these articles and then send their friends to flood the comment boards in support of their articles. His children were stolen from him and he was forced into debt slavery by the courts who continually gender bias against men due to incentives by the government based on the amount of child support and women’s program funding.
Good for him for escaping with his life, before they did some real harm to him.

Emily

Posted at 11:01 AM on July 5, 2012

As someone working in the family court system in Canada I can tell you that you shouldn’t judge this book by its cover. I’m seeing a lot of dads nailed to a wall just because they are easy targets for enforcement actions and because of bias in the system. Often the facts and circumstances are brushed under the carpet in a quest to make a kill. To be honest I’ve noticed a “get dad” mantra among some of my colleagues that is disturbing and when I’ve tried to speak up about it my performance has been called into question. In a recent case, a guy in Ontario (Pasqualino Cornelio) was forced to make child support payments for children his wife conceived in an extra-marital affair. It’s beyond ridiculous.

jim

Posted at 12:59 PM on July 10, 2012

It is disgusting the corruption that these courts are getting away with.

Doreen

Posted at 5:28 PM on July 4, 2012

Actually, Ivan has a point. I’m a psychologist and disease mongering is a recognized problem among divorced women. It’s called Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

Illness get exaggerated and sometimes even invented by divorced women seeking attention from the system. So “sad” becomes “depressed”, “pot use” becomes “drug addict”, and a headache means the child has a brain tumor. The children can even become coopted in the process. It’s very sad.

This particular case has all the signs.

moralitypolice

Posted at 3:19 PM on July 4, 2012

Are you seriously implying that the wife made up the fact that one child has cancer and another is a drug addict? As for the 17 year old suffering from depression…I don’t think that’s much of a stretch considering that her dad abandoned the family and she has three siblings with fairly serious health problems.

Did the dad get a bum deal? Yes. $4000 a month seems quite high considering his salary.

However – since fleeing to the Phillipines – has he sent *any* money to his kids? Even if he can’t afford the full amount…I’m sure the wife and kids would appreciate *some* money. They are still his kids, after all. If nothing else, it would show that he’s not a jerk.

But if he really just fled and hasn’t helped in any way, the guy is a scumbag.

If I were in his shoes, I would pay every penny I could. I might petition the court to try to have the payments reduced to a more reasonable amount, but I would give what I could and get by on the bare minimum.

He lived in Canada, for pete’s sake. We have welfare, social housing, free medical and old age security. He would not have gone hungry had he chose to remain in Canada.

james

Posted at 12:14 PM on September 8, 2012

The system is broken. From the horror stories I have read unless you earn a great income and can afford it your better off getting custody of your children or running. Now don’t get me wrong you should support your kid but the way they calculate is beyond messed up. Just look at halley berry’s situation 20k for a toddler I mean really?. Now she can probably afford it but even that is alittle messed up. What about the guy who makes 1200 a month and pays over $300 have you tried to rent , eat,transportation,pay utilities anywhere in the usa all for under $900 then tell me what’s smarter running or starving in a cardboard box with a full time job.

how stupid!

Posted at 2:31 PM on October 4, 2012

Yes in fact he would have gone hungry had he remained in canada. ALL social supports are regulated by the Income tax act. He makes over $100 thousand per year gross, child support is tax exempt. After all deductions, child and spousal support this man is only left with $1500 per month to survive plus pay all his legal fees and his greedy ex-wifes legal fees. This man will not qualify for Any social support (welfare, social housing etc.) How do you think he could possibly survive when typical rent is over $1500? The fact is she got the million dollar mansion in EXCHANGE for spousal support then goes back on it years later…..the child with cancer has been in remission for some time now, the “drug addict” is over the age of majority, and the child with depression well that is fairly typical when the mommy is involving the kids in adult matters. Seriously….the kids saying “why would I want this from my deadbeat dad” Never involve the children in these matters! This woman should grow up and start working to support her children. The responsibiltiy to financially support the kids is up to BOTH parents, not just the NCP. My son is severely disabled and I have worked FULL time his ENTIRE life, I am a independant woman. My son’s father died when he was young, there was no death benefits either. I have remarried to a NCP he pays support for 2 children, it leaves less than $1200 per month from his job and we do NOT qualify for ANY disability support for my son. It doesn’t bother me that he pays support, he should they are his children. What bothers me is all these woman who use their children as an excuse to to work. Yes there are lots of women who do work but there are many many more who do not. Spousal support should be outlawed, how do women even think they deserve equal rights if they are going to whine about money, and demand spousal support?

Arrow

Posted at 9:20 AM on February 8, 2013

You have GOT to be a woman. She has a $600k house, makes $2000 a month rent, AND had extra money from the government. What the hell else should she have gotten? ANSWER THAT. How much of his $60,000 a year salary leftover should he have given her? $4000 a month is $48,000 a year. Leaving him $1000 a month to live on. Is that possible in your country. WHAT IS YOUR MONTHLY BUDGET? ANSWER THAT!

Ivan

Posted at 3:02 PM on July 4, 2012

Don’t you think it is suspicious that every one of these kids is alleged to have a serious health problem: drug addict, depressed, Downs, cancer.

I’m not questioning the Downs syndrome diagnosis at all. But really? All four are sick? Could it be there’s been a little disease mongering going on to goose up the support claim?

PHIL

Posted at 9:03 AM on July 4, 2012

The Canadian family courts are out of control, ignorant and feminazi. Hans took a stand against tyranny on behalf of all men and made a tough but excellent decision. What does it profit him or his children for him to remain in Canada and be destroyed as a man and a father. By leaving, Hans prevented his ex from setting a bad example to his children, and ensured his own preservation as a father long into the future when his money-grubbing ex will have very likely failed as a mother… if her character is any barometer.
But do you know who loses when these aggressive gold diggers don’t know when to stop? Western Women. Because increasingly excellent men the world over are refusing marriage and children with Western women in a Western system. So girls, if you want to know why you are over 30, single and childless with only your cat for company, thank Donna Mills.

Jim

Posted at 1:02 PM on July 10, 2012

Good to see so many are awake to the fraud and bias in our court system.

us

Posted at 12:30 AM on July 4, 2012

It sounds to me like kids should try to join him as soon as possible. The mother sounds like quite an emotional and financial abuser.

Ben

Posted at 8:18 PM on July 3, 2012

An absolutely ridiculously written and twisted article.

You’re calling this guy the worlds worst father? He was put in a terrible situation and made a choice.

100k yearly salary after taxes is about 60k, 4k a month for this woman is 48k a year. This leaves him with…12k a year. This is robbery by the court system. How is this guy gonna live off that??

What this article fails to mention is this ‘lovely’ woman is sitting on a 1.2 million dollar home. Why not sell this home for money? Live in a more affordable home.

This reporter should have taken a second look at the story, done some research, and written an unbiased piece.

deejay keffy

Posted at 6:43 AM on July 4, 2012

thumbs up Ben…you got it right…

Jim

Posted at 1:04 PM on July 10, 2012

I am astonished at how many are aware of the bias in our courts stealing children away from their fathers and fathers away from their children. All for money.

Robert

Posted at 5:20 PM on July 3, 2012

The reality is, if you do the math on the expenses he was expected to give to his wife every month. No person could live on giving out that kind of money. Especially for someone in their 50’s planning retirement.

Mike

Posted at 5:18 PM on July 3, 2012

The question you should be asking is if Donna Mills is the worst
mother ever. You are not including all the facts of the story to
make it seem like Hans Mills is at fault, even though he clearly
isn’t if you read the original story in the Toronto Star.

So here are some of those facts:

1. Hans Mills was earning $100,000 / year (a top 10% income level in Canada), which is $60,000 after Canadian taxes. The support payments would have left him with $1000 / month on which to live. Rent for a crappy apartment in Toronto would have consumed all of that, leaving him no money for anything else.

2. The crazy family court system in Ontario awarded Donna $4000 / month with no consideration at all for Hans’ ability to pay. They also ordered Hans to pay retroactively as well as pay for Donna’s court costs.

3. Donna Mills, on the other hand, has a university degree and is
qualified as a teacher, but refuses to get a job.

4. Donna was getting $2500 / month from the government for her kids, $2000 / month from the rent on a separate apartment in her house, plus the original child support payments that Hans was making for over 3 years before Donna decided she wanted more and used the court system to get spousal support payments.

5. The reason she was not getting spousal support payments before (this is distinct from child support payments) is because as part of the divorce settlement, she got to keep the house in lieu of Hans paying spousal support (although he agreed to pay child support). That house is worth $1.2 million and has $600K in equity on it.

6. On top of all that Donna had full custody of the children and has used it to poison her children against their father (teaching her 10-year old son the word “deadbeat”, for example).

So who is the worse parent? The man who had to make a very difficult choice to escape a life of poverty and economic slavery?.Or a woman who could make $600K from selling her house and who could also get a job, but who would rather reduce her ex-husband to the poorhouse so she doesn’t have to? Then she enlists a newspaper to track him down and try to make him into a monster. But this backfired because the commentary on the Toronto Star website is 99% against her.

camille

Posted at 5:42 AM on July 4, 2012

Just to make sure you people know the TRUTH !!
1.He and his Philippino missterss lived in a beautiful knew townhouse out of Hamilton in a lovely neighbourhood. He didnt need to rent a crappy apartement in Toronto.He bought this place and lived in until very last day when he took of for “green pasture ” in Philippines. He also owned a nice comfortable mobile home in a trailer park near a lake for weekends leisure time.Sold it as well before his escape.
2. Yes, crazy canadian court system made him too much perhaps. He could fight this Temporary Order.
3. His wife Donna was was working after they split. She had to stop working because their 8 years old son was diagnosed deadly cancer tumor. Show me any mother who would keep her job in these cirumstances! – not knowing if your child will live next month ???
4. Donna asked for spousal support because she had no chance to make any income herself at the time of her son treatment.
5. His wife has no $600K in quity on her house -it is only worth it as much people are willing to pay. House in not worth this kind of $$
6. Donna didn’t need to poison her kids against the “father”. Those kids are heart broken and also old enough to understand that “daddy” took off because money was more important than to stay with them.
Just for your information:
Hans was NOT living in a poor house and he wouldn’t be even after paying $875 spousal support.(yes this is the amount he would have to pay after tax deduction) Perhaps his young and healthy Philippino girlfriend (who Hans brought over to Canada before he was even divorced and caused marrige break up) could get some kind of job and make $875/ month. ??? it is interesting that the girlfriend of his never worked. Not mentioning that she took full advagtage of free medical health care system in Canada which would cost her little fortune in Phillipines. Canadian winters were way too long and cold for her, so they traveled South frequentely for a little vacations. You really think that this is what the people living in a “poor house ” can afford to do ?? Now is Hans living with this girlfriend (oh yeah,actually she is his new wife) in the upscale neighbourhood near Manila. He is most likely drinking a cold beer and having a good laugh reading all these comments written to his favor. Even if the commentary on the Toronto Star website were 100% against his wife that doesn’t change anything on the fact that he is the one abonding his children when they need him the most ! It is HIM who took off on his children. And that is the cruellest thing to do to any child. He doesn’t give a … about his kids which is the sadest part. It is all about $$ and how comfortable his life will be. So now finally he can have his free life as he always wanted with no responsibilities at all. If you feeling sorry for him go ahead. Lets just all of us hope and pray for their little boy that his cancer will never return and his “dad” will not have to send him a bag of peanuts to make poor kid to feel better. In a couple of years his kids will be all grown up – it will not take long at all , time goes by fast. . . . He could survive in Canada without being financialy ruined and have his children in his life. But now his kids will be marked for rest of their lives with his abondement. I agree that his wife made a lots of mistakes but for sure the biggest one was when she married this guy. Hope she can hold on and won’t end up with nervous break down. Who would look after those kid than ????? tell us Hans !!!

Donna's neighbor

Posted at 1:39 PM on July 4, 2012

That comment is definitely from Donna. Donna, get over yourself. You are the very definition of parental alienation. No one is buying your crap sob story anymore. We all are too busy feeling sorry for Hans and your children. You are a terrible excuse for a mother.

camille

Posted at 5:27 AM on July 5, 2012

well I’m as much Donna as much you are mr. Millse’s mother!
I’m sorry to find our that her neighbour hates her so much. Please correct me if I’m wrong but you must really hate her ! she really should have move out of your street long time ago.

Paul79

Posted at 10:20 PM on July 4, 2012

@Camille
“Just to make sure you people know the TRUTH !!”
Killing the truth in the name of defending the truth.
1.Please back up these claims,until you do that there is no reason on the face of this earth to trust them.
2.fighting a corrupted system will not go far, he learned from fathers who stayed and fought the corrupted system then ended up strangling themselves like Darrin White.
3.red herring and misleading point the son is 10 years old now.
4.she’s making 7,000$ / months, disability payments 2,235,rental 2000,child support 2,500 tax free.
5.the house is worth 1.2 Million ,removing the mortagage and taxes she will easily make 600$,this is the market price.
6.She just alienated the children, otherwise why would the son call his father a dead beat, from where did he get this term.
The father was supposed to live on 17K per year and fight the corrupted system, what is this deadly sense of disgusting humor

camille

Posted at 6:29 AM on July 5, 2012

His new house in Grimsby was listed for sale last year asking price 235K no a big secret here. No need to back up every word search for the truth – mr. Mills knows it himself.
Sorry for missleading you when it comes to the boys age. Yes he is 10 years old now, but he was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago which means he was 8 when his mother stop working and this spousal support arguement started. I have 8 years old boy myself and it hurts just to imagine that this could happen to any child.
One more thing. Little ears hear everything and specially what they aren’t supposed to hear. She (mother) should have been way more careful what is she saying in front of her children. Maybe if the father was showing some interest in his children during past year they would love him and picked much nicer name for him regardless what those little ears hear around.

we

Posted at 7:49 AM on July 6, 2012

Camille, you disgraceful dirtbag of a mother. Your greed destroyed your family and made your children fatherless.

You should be thrown into prison.

camille

Posted at 1:23 AM on July 7, 2012

give me a break you have to send your comments to her

maria

Posted at 5:50 PM on October 18, 2012

Camile,
How do you know all this story??? I believe your the ex-wife of Hans, you should be ashamed to your self all your kids have health problem because your unfit Mother, it’s all your fault why your family suffer to much. GET A LIFE your ex-husband give everything he got and yet is not enough for you. Your so lucky have 1.2 million house while other are homeless.

deejay keffy

Posted at 6:49 AM on July 4, 2012

thumbs up man!

Robert

Posted at 5:16 PM on July 3, 2012

Wow you pretty much butchered the story. He refused to pay spousal support (to quote the news organisation that broke the story, the Toronto Star “He is adamant about two things — he will “never, ever, ever, ever” pay spousal support, and he will never return to Canada.”. He was expected to pay around 1500 a month despite the fact that he had already given his wife a house valued at 1.2 million (with a 600,000 mortgage left on it). He also agreed to around 2500 a month for child support, unlike what you blatantly put here (you have the two mixed up).

This father has been torn away from his children not because he is a terrible father, but because the wife was greedier and greedier. Initially she signed off on being given the house with the understanding she would receive no spousal support (but still would get child support) but that wasn’t enough for her. So she changed her mind and demanded more. By the way, the government also gives her 2000 a month or so for her children’s ailments, she gets 2000 a month from renting part of this house, and she refuses to either sell the house or get a job.

You can call him the worse father ever, but she’s is more to blame for this. It’s a shame the kids had to get involved.

silverfish

Posted at 4:49 PM on July 3, 2012

And people keep asking me when I’m going to have kids. I love them but don’t want them, my choice and you know what, I can live with it. Now at 40, I am happy to not have had any

Dee

Posted at 4:05 PM on July 3, 2012

People should have more kids that they can’t afford.

Jim

Posted at 1:13 PM on July 10, 2012

Especially at these child support numbers. Who can afford kids?

disco

Posted at 3:48 PM on July 3, 2012

don’t have 4 kids and ignore your responsibility. I hope this guy is arrested for being an idiot

Jim

Posted at 1:13 PM on July 10, 2012

With any luck you’ll be arrested for being a twat.

rs

Posted at 3:34 PM on July 3, 2012

As a Canadian citizen who has worked in the legal field I have see many miscarriages of Justice in terms of family maintenance judgments. Unfortunately the Judge sometimes makes an error in awarding too high a percentage of one parent’s wage leading to tragic consequences. I don’t know how much the father earns, but I do know that $4000.00 a month would be a heavy handed judgment against the average Canadian.