Ann Curry, You've Got Nothing To Apologize For (Re 'Today' Show)

Thu, June 28, 2012 3:39pm EST by 11 Comments
Ann Curry Apologizes

Ann, we totally understand why you’re sad to be leaving the ‘Today’ show couch, but you don’t owe us viewers or anyone an apology!

Ann Curry, you looked your most stunning ever in your beautiful “last day” red dress on the Today show June 28, when you made your heartfelt announcement that you were leaving your “dream job”.

And while we absolutely get why you’re so upset to be leaving the Today show couch, we don’t think you had any need to apologize for not carrying the ball over the finish line, as you put it.

Ann, you worked tremendously hard. No one could have been more dedicated as a co-anchor and journalist. Not all circumstances or situations are under your control. And we do see you as a “groundbreaker,” who carried the ball — and carried it well.

Watch reporter Chloe Melas and I talk about your emotional last announcement on Today:

Now what do you think, HollywoodLifers? Vote for who you think will take over Ann’s anchor position: Savannah Guthrie, Natalie Morales or Hoda Kotb?

Update: Savannah Guthrie reportedly taking over for Ann Curry starting tomorrow!

— Bonnie Fuller

More Ann Curry Leaving ‘Today’

1. Ann Curry Talks ‘Today’ Show Rumors: ‘Am I Not Good Enough?’
  2. ‘Today’ Show’s Ann Curry Being Replaced — Report
  3. Meredith Vieira Denied Offer To Replace Ann Curry On ‘Today Show’?

Gail Lagon

Posted at 12:44 PM on July 4, 2012

NBC Exec. and Matt Lauer should take a hike. Matt is soo self centerd and cocky and is over rated (personality) He is at fault for Ann’s departure. If you watch her goodbye speech, you will notice that she moved away from Matt on the couch. I believe that was her way of displaying the distrust and deciving that Matt caused her leaving the Today show. I will miss her kindness she displayed as a news anchor. I also hope that the Network will fall in ratings.and really get rid of Matt. He has aged and to me he’s not the “Great Looking” man that everyone from the past googled at.

Everyone Pray that they don’t even ever want Katie Curric back, She’s another back stabber.

Anne

Posted at 1:08 PM on July 2, 2012

As a former loyal viewer, I am missing my everyday habit of watching Today and the local news of the local affiliate, my hometown station,
however I refuse to watch anything from NBC anymore, as I now recognize it for being the trash TV it is. SHAME on all of you for showing your backside on national TV. Can’t wait to see NBC ratings in the toilet.

/dorieta Rogers

Posted at 9:46 PM on June 30, 2012

The producers made a big mistake by taking Ann Curry off the Today Show. She is a superior person and was terrific in that position. I won’t be watching the Today Show anymore. Maybe the people that should be replaced are the producers etc.

laura

Posted at 8:46 PM on June 30, 2012

well i love Ann too but she does not have any natural funny like Katie Meredith and AL have and they all worked well with Matt …she is good with special reports but she was forcing herself to laugh and be funny…….it was sad to watch……. Hoda would be good too, i think Natalie too…..i hope Savannah works out but to be honest i don’t see a natural funny in her either………

Geisha

Posted at 11:42 AM on June 29, 2012

I don’t get all the drama either. I saw her on Jay Leno and didn’t care for her personality. And she did make that major mistake on-air, by messing up the colleges, so she has made bad boo-boos and gotten called on it. I think it was a matter of time until she had to go. Anyone who works in television is well aware how superficial it all is. They are in it for the bucks, so I don’t have much sympathy.

Browlady

Posted at 8:22 PM on June 28, 2012

I am really upset at NBC, I watch the Today show every morning choosing them because of Ann, Matt, and Al. Ann has been there for several years, and I like her, she warms my heart shame on you NBC since you won’t give us what we want which is a good host, I’ll just change the channel, and then you will drop further in the ratings. ABC here I come.

gbtw

Posted at 6:57 PM on June 28, 2012

i should say, that having read a bit more about matt lauer’s role in this, i get the “hurt” angle from ann more i think… that burns me a bit, that matt got a say in this, b/c i have almost always thought he’s a huge db (tho i think he’s pretty good at his job- kinda like gumbel was good, but also a db). i still don’t get the groundbreaking part tho… have to disagree with those fans. i didn’t think ann was all that good, tho i won’t disagree that she seems like a nice person. i actually had sushi next to her once in nyc, and she was very polite to my friend who asked what one of their pieces was…

gbtw

Posted at 5:37 PM on June 28, 2012

okay. i can’t watch the video… does it clarify what ground she supposedly broke? can someone explain that to me? b/c to me, she was just another ho-hum anchor on a ho-hum show that is very light on actual news, and is just background noise for most people to get ready to in the morning… in ann’s defense, she did say “for all those who thought i was a ground breaker”… so, maybe she had fans that actually articulated what ground she was breaking. i wish i was in on the scoop tho… cuz, i really just don’t get it. to me, she’s just another person in show biz who couldn’t pull ratings and got pushed out. she’s still more successful than most of us, and will continue to make more money than most of us… i don’t get all the drama.

KaschK

Posted at 8:44 PM on June 28, 2012

Once you’ve been pushed off your own job for, figuratively speaking, not pulling ratings which is a thin disguise for office politics and over large egos, with as little tact as this and spared as little dignity as Ann was, you’ll get the drama just fine. And when that happens, my only regret will be that I can’t be there to hear your cries of how human beings shouldn’t be treated this way.

About the only thing you got right is that the Today show is not about anything of note from a news standpoint. And it is exactly that which is why Ann didn’t fit in. If you had any idea what she’s been doing for the last two decades, why she won the awards she has, and just what she has done to bring viewers the news she thinks they deserve, you wouldn’t be balking over “groundbreaking” either.

disco

Posted at 4:08 PM on June 28, 2012

well said

NBC has really dropped the ball lately. They are cancelling good shows too. BOOURNS to you NBC!

Benge

Posted at 4:01 PM on June 28, 2012

You ladies are gorgeous! Love the site.