'Bunheads' Recap: Michelle & Fanny Bond Over A Tragedy

Mon, June 18, 2012 10:00pm EDT by 17 Comments
Bunheads Episode 2

When a major crisis hits Paradise, Michelle is forced to find herself — again.

For the second week in a row, Bunheads proved it owns all of our emotions; but while last week’s pilot made us think through laughter, the June 18 episode worked our tear ducts. While this definitely wasn’t the same Bunheads we were presented with last Monday, it was an important episode — for the viewers and for Michelle (Sutton Foster).

Within the first few minutes, we learned that Hubbell’s (Alan Ruck) car accident was indeed fatal, which changed the course — pun intended so hard — of Michelle’s life, yet again. It also sent Fanny (Kelly Bishop) into a frenzy as she attempted to throw together a Buddhist memorial service. (Loved that scene with Fanny and her friends, by the way!)

The four girls, meanwhile, “mourned” in their own special way — by skipping school and seeing a Mark Wahlberg movie. As creator Amy Sherman-Palladino promised, this second episode kept the focus on Michelle, but also gave us a taste of what each of the girls is all about. Specifically, we learned that Boo (Kaitlyn Jenkins) suffers from good-hearted paranoia, while Sasha (Julia Goldani Telles) is really good at whining until she gets her way.

They eventually came to their emotional senses and broke down over Hubbell’s death, which was Michelle’s cue to take charge. (“There’s no crying in baseball … or ballet!”) She helped Fanny’s students put together a really beautiful dance, which turned out to be exactly the kind of simple goodbye she needed.

So what’s going to keep Michelle in Paradise now that Hubbell is dead? Well, that’s the twist, my friends: It turns out he changed his will and left everything to her!

Are you still in love with Bunheads after this week’s episode? Did you enjoy watching the characters work through their grief, or did you think it was too depressing? Drop me a comment with your thoughts!

— Andy Swift

Kendall

Posted at 4:15 AM on July 9, 2012

I don’t like Fanny’s new wardrobe or her hair. I’m all about changes but that isn’t one I would take too lightly. Haha!!! Emily on Gilmore girls is so pretty and I love her charisma. I just think her wardrobe needs an update. Just because you’re a ballerina teacher doesn’t mean you should look like a gypsy. As far as the show goes, my favorite cast members are Sasha and Boo & you gotta love Sutton and Fanny. Sasha is so pretty though and Boo is so cute! I also love Sasha’s voice and she’s so graceful! I was pretty heartbroken when Hubble died, so awkward, even though I had heard he was going to die early in the series, it still broke my heart.

Andrew

Posted at 9:41 PM on July 8, 2012

I knew Hubble had to die. She was too hot for him. The law of attraction had to bring balance back to the universe by killing off Hubble. Too bad though, he was a fun character, even though he was a little creepy. I do keep thinking gilmore girls though everytime I see fanny.

Karen Klein

Posted at 10:18 AM on July 2, 2012

As a senior citizen who just started watching bunheads, I have a few comments:

1. I think the young girls are a little two “girly” and “giggley” (and yes I know they are teenagers); but my husband now doesn’t really want to watch it with me because he said the young dancers overact and seem really silly and unreal. So I would like my husband to continue to watch it with me and that’s why I’m making this comment. The acting of everyone else is wonderful!

2. I’m sorry Hubbell died because he was such a nice character and yes he really kissed great. So I hope she gets a really nice love interest in future episodes.

That’s it.

Karen

Lila

Posted at 4:21 AM on July 9, 2012

That’s how young girls are, sweet, giggly, and cutey. Especially one’s who take ballet and live in a small hometown. Honestly this show reminds me of the book series and movie,The Babysitter’s Club. If this makes him uncomfortable then he shouldn’t watch it because afterall it’s main target audience is for females. Sure, if he’s evolved enough to watch it he’s welcome to join, but it seems he has a long way to go. But I wouldn’t dare change the personalities of any of these girls, even if they do tend to overact a tinge. Some girls really do act like this, lol. I know b/c I’ve been around a few.

Sara

Posted at 9:49 AM on June 26, 2012

In episode 1 we learned there is no movie theatre in Paradise. In episode 2 the girls went to see a movie. I really got hung up on that tiny detail waiting for a punch line about it. Nothing.

Sharon

Posted at 4:23 PM on June 19, 2012

I was very upset after watching the season premiere. I liked Hubble. I have to say though, after watching the second episode last night, I really do like the show and look forward to seeing more.

Cindy

Posted at 4:02 PM on June 19, 2012

So far I haven’t watched episode 2 because I am really mad they killed off Hubble. I was looking forward to watching MIchelle fall for him and loved him putting his mother in her place. I think the writers messed this up. If they wanted to kill off Hubble, they should have saved it for the 2nd season. I am soooooooooo disappointed.

Shaylene

Posted at 3:10 AM on June 19, 2012

Does anyone else see a young “Diane Lane” in Sutton Foster? Not so much her acting but her resemblance and her facial expressions? It’s uncanny.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:02 AM on June 19, 2012

Oh, absolutely. Really similar facial expressions! :)

DJS

Posted at 10:41 PM on February 22, 2013

Absolutely!

honey starr

Posted at 1:58 AM on June 19, 2012

I cannot believe how terrific this show is. The writing is quirky. Cast is captivating. I never saw the Gilmore girls. I will to get some from net flix. Fanny reminds me of Sasan Saradon. Hunter Foster is amazing, I hope she dances in future episodes.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:07 AM on June 19, 2012

I’m glad non-Gilmore Girls fans love this show too. And yes, she’ll definitely be dancing in the future.

bec

Posted at 10:51 PM on June 18, 2012

I am sad that Alan died…i wanted him to be include in the fun twists and turns of a good romance in the story line. will i still watch it, yes…I want to see where this leads to, might be surprised…a fun witty comedy for the summer. i hope we see more raw emotion as it isnt easy to lose someone and the pain lasts a long time…not just a day.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:34 AM on June 19, 2012

I liked him, but I could never imagine watching a show about them building their marriage. I think I’m OK with him dying.

emily

Posted at 10:35 PM on June 18, 2012

This is a family show? As a serious ballet dancer, I was interested in seeing what it was all about but found it unbearably ridiculous. Totally ridiculous and stupid.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:02 AM on June 19, 2012

Last week’s was a lot more about the dancing. Did you see the first episode?

Lauren

Posted at 2:12 AM on June 19, 2012

I think the focus will turn to the dancing further into the season, they have to set up the characters first as it is a primarily character based show so as to appeal to a greater audience. I saw an interview with Sutton Foster where she says that her broadway fans won’t be disappointed as she gets into more of the performing stuff as the show progresses.