Ian Somerhalder Convinces Hollywood Writer To Back Him For 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' Role

Thu, June 14, 2012 9:44pm EDT by 168 Comments

Ian Somerhalder is a man on a mission — he really wants to play Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie. He even convinced a famous Hollywood writer to talk to him about starring in the flick!

Anyone who has read Fifty Shades of Grey knows that Christian Grey will stop at nothing to get what he wants. Similarly, Ian Somerhalder is running a very strong campaign in his attempts to score the starring role in the movie based on the popular fan fiction novels.

“@BretEastonEllis -Id so love to be ChristianGrey w/you&Angelina Jolie. Ive only waited 10 years to do a movie w/u.Im grown up now-no worries,” he tweeted to Bret Easton Ellis, who wrote American Psycho and The Rules of Attraction, a film Ian starred in.

Bret, who has made it clear he really wants to write the movie adaptation, replied to Ian, explaining that he doesn’t think Angelina Jolie is involved in the production. He said he’s glad Ian is as excited as he is about the film.

Although Bret has tweeted he thinks Alex Pettyfer would be great for the part, many of Ian’s fans convinced him he should think again about Mr. Somerhalder. “Rereading “Fifty Shades of Grey: it’s hard for me to think of Ian Somerhalder as Christian G. because I’ve known him personally for so long,” explains the writer. “I know Ian Somerhalder and how kinky he can be and yes, he’s probably Christian Grey in Fifty Shades of Grey, and he will go all-out for it.”

He finally succumbed to pressure and said, “I’ll call Ian tomorrow for “Fifty Shades of Grey”…I get it, I get it…”

Ooooo sounds like some behind-the-scenes planning and campaigning will be coming up from the American Psycho writer and the Vampire Diaries actor! Do you agree that Ian is the perfect, kinky, actor to play Christian or are you still not convinced? Take a good long stare at Christian’s — oops we mean Ian’s — chiseled face and tell us what you think in the comments below.

Julia

Posted at 8:02 AM on June 21, 2012

Ian Somerhalder … Plz !

Sylvia

Posted at 4:27 PM on June 20, 2012

I would love Ian Somerhalder to be Christian Grey.. but I have another suggestion… Maybe Taylor Launter? Sigh, if only he wasn’t so young lol. I think the role of Ana is hard to choose. Not Kristen Stewart or Angelina Jolie.

Heather

Posted at 3:29 PM on June 20, 2012

Ian Somerhalder would fit the part perfectly! I have watched his character over the years in Vampire Diaries. He is sexy, sultry, mysterious and definitely fits the look of Christian with the long, dark, wavy hair. After I started reading this series I totally pictured him playing the part in the movie! I don’t think any other actor fits the part as well as Ian. Good Luck! You know you have my vote! Myself and many other women would be so excited to see you get the role as Christian!

karen

Posted at 3:17 PM on June 20, 2012

Plz yes yes yes! IAN SOMERHALDER !

Christy

Posted at 3:16 PM on June 20, 2012

When I think of Christian T. Grey… I picture Nacho Figueras
He has that look, and smile you don’t know what he’s thinking, like Christian..

molly

Posted at 7:44 AM on June 20, 2012

i absolutely want RYAN GOSLING as christian, pictured him the first time i read the book (without knowing it would be a movie) and i still do now.

However, i wouldnt be annoyed if Ian plays him because i do think he would be good, and he’s a fantastic actor in the vampire diaries, and can definitely pull off the intense and sexy yet vulnerable thing.

No one else though, they’re the only 2 i could imagine for the role.

Trish

Posted at 1:23 AM on June 20, 2012

If they choose the wrong Christian, the movie will be a flop (and I say movie because they won’t end up making the whole trilogy). Ian IS Christian Grey, whether he is cast as such or not!

Brenda

Posted at 11:39 PM on June 19, 2012

Plz yes yes yes! IAN SOMERHALDER !

kate

Posted at 1:26 PM on June 19, 2012

yess yess yess ian all the way please pick him he would be great for the part

Jodie

Posted at 1:04 PM on June 19, 2012

IAN IAN IAN!! PLEASE!!!

Tiffany

Posted at 8:02 AM on June 19, 2012

Ryan Gosling!!

Ashley

Posted at 1:32 AM on June 19, 2012

OMG, YESsss!!!!!!
I’m in love with Ian somerhalder!
I was on the hunt for an actor that could pull off Christian Grey.
He has the look, No doubt about it! All he needs is a bit of a copper tone to his sexy dark hair!! As far as his acting abilities…. Have you seeeeen Vampire Diaries??? I want that man to sink his teeth in to my neck and drain me of my blood right now!! He has such a strong sexapeal.
I can not imagine anyone better for this role. Good luck Ian. :)

Lauren

Posted at 7:45 AM on June 17, 2012

Ian Somerhalder is devilishly handsome, but there’s just something about him that doesn’t convince me he’s Christian. Christian has moments where he’s crazy-intense, but then he has softer moments where he displays the tenderness and naivety of a child almost, and I think that the latter just can’t be possessed by Somerhalder. I think Bret Easton Ellis was dead-on when he said he thought Alex Pettyfer would be the perfect Christian, although, like B.E.E. also said, I don’t think Pettyfer would be willing to go for the role..

Ari

Posted at 8:19 PM on June 17, 2012

I wish Alex would do it! He’s going to be a stripper in Magic mike so maybe he would,here’s hopeing!

Simone

Posted at 3:19 PM on June 16, 2012

Ian is the best fit for the role of everyone I think he will make it so great he is so great

Daisy

Posted at 3:16 PM on June 16, 2012

Ian is so hot and will be perfect yes

Lizzy

Posted at 3:15 PM on June 16, 2012

Ian is amazing he has the look and the character to pull off this role yes to Ian no one can do a better job

Sabrina

Posted at 3:12 PM on June 16, 2012

Yes Ian is perfect exactly who I imagines when I was reading it yes yes yes

dsf

Posted at 10:43 AM on June 16, 2012

yes! very much! ian somerhalder is my christian grey

N3na

Posted at 10:04 PM on June 15, 2012

Ian!!!!! Yes!!!! I couldn’t help but picture Ian as Christian when I was reading the books!!!! Christian was defenetly based on Ian… Lol

Missyf321

Posted at 5:08 PM on June 15, 2012

First off Ian would be a good candidate if he had blonde hair and was a little more diesel ,second they can’t make the character to young because guys at 20-27 does not have the expertise this Christian character had in the book.think about it a guy in the 20s with such experience that’s so silly.and if they make Angelina Jolie the actress they’ve ruined the movie she never played a innocent role that wouldn’t suit her at all.they need to pick a innocent looking girl,young with pigtails and that won’t playoff right with Angelina.I hope the producers thing before they make this movie,or it can be a disappointment and reflect on the book..

drtduda

Posted at 12:39 AM on June 26, 2012

Angelina wants to direct it, not be it…

drtduda

Posted at 12:40 AM on June 26, 2012

Angelina wants to direct it not be in it.

azerty

Posted at 3:29 PM on June 15, 2012

nina and ian or nina and robert will be so hot !

ALICIA

Posted at 3:17 PM on June 15, 2012

NIN A DOBREV PLEEEEASE

Olya

Posted at 1:57 PM on June 15, 2012

Ian? No! No! No!

Kat

Posted at 1:55 PM on June 15, 2012

Ian old, Christian young.Better Robert P!

fillip

Posted at 1:52 PM on June 15, 2012

Robert Pattinson and Nina Dobrev!Will be hot!!!

drtduda

Posted at 12:41 AM on June 26, 2012

Robert is not right. He can’t act.