77 Percent Of Teens Say 'Teen Mom' Makes Parenting Look Hard

Tue, June 12, 2012 3:30pm EDT by 7 Comments
Teen Mom Teenage Pregnancy

Teen pregnancy rates are down, and a new study says it could be thanks to shows like ‘Teen Mom’ and ’16 & Pregnant’. A new statistic shows that 77 percent of teenagers are taking notice of how hard parenting really is.

With the fourth and final season of Teen Mom just hours away, viewers will be able to catch up on the cast members, including the notorious Amber Portwood and her drug troubles. The good news about her documented downward spiral? More teens realize that parenting is ridiculously hard.

The Christian Science Monitor reports a recent study by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen & Unplanned Pregnancy that 77 percent of teens now have a “better understand the challenges of pregnancy and parenting” due to the MTV shows.

The statistic backs up the decline in US teen pregnancy rates — the report referred to a 2010 study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that there was a record low birth rate for girls aged 15 to 19, at 34.3 per 1,000.

Additionally, these 2010 figures reflected a 9 percent drop from 2009 among teens 18-19 years old, and a 12 percent drop for 15 to 17-year-olds.

The bad news, however, is that 23 percent say that Teen Mom and 16 And Pregnant make parenting look easy. Additionally, 48 percent of adults say that the shows made pregnancy and parenthood look easy.

However, it’s good to know that for most teens, MTV reality stars like Amber are making an influence.

“People look at it so negatively, but our show has opened so many eyes,” said Maci Bookout in a recent interview.

Catelynn Lowell agreed — “Amber has told me before that she hopes that girls learn from her mistakes.”

Does this study totally give your kids a reason to tune into the shows, HollyMoms?

– Lorraine Chow

More Teen Mom news:

1. ‘Teen Mom’ Season 4 Sneak Peek: Farrah Visits Derek’s Grave — VIDEO
  2. Amber Portwood’s Legal Troubles Will Be Documented On Final Season of ‘Teen Mom’
  3. ‘Teen Mom 2′ Dad Corey Simms Seduces ’16 & Pregnant’ Star Nikkole Paulun On Skype

Angela

Posted at 4:34 AM on June 17, 2012

How is it making teen parenting look hard? These girls have HUGE paychecks from MTV. Live in nice houses, drive nice cars, go out to eat on a whim, them and their kids wear nice clothing and don’t seem to struggle much at all. The struggles they do have are because they are too immature to see are of their own making, the problems with the ex, not going to school because they are too lazy, not potty training, taking the child’s binky away or sending them off to pre-school.

If only those were the only problems teens face in the realities of being a teen Mom…or an uneducated single Mom of any age.

Jesse

Posted at 7:37 PM on September 28, 2013

I guess its not all about money, I mean, there’s alot of things to consider, like peer pressure, family, schooling added to that they are being watched by millions and their issue is so sensitive.

niki

Posted at 10:58 AM on June 13, 2012

well if it’s soo hard why is there a season four of teen mom O_o….. i think if girls understood how hard it is then both shows would be cancelled because MTV couldnt find any pregnant teens when that happens then there is actual improvement.

Kady

Posted at 1:14 PM on June 14, 2012

That is literally the most ignorant thing I’ve ever heard. Teens do stupid things and have been getting knocked up since the beginning of time. Great grand mother was 15, grand mother was 17 and mom was 18 and sister 13 when they got preg w/their 1st child. There was no teen mom in the 40’s 60’s 80’s or 2001!
Teen Mom, Teen Mom 2 or Teen Mom 3,671,542 is NOT GOING TO MAKE TEENS GET KNOCKED UP. They do that alllll on their own and will do so with or with out the show. No matter how ‘easy’ it might seem to drop out if school, have minimum wage jobs with no real family structure for their child- which has happened with the vast majority of 16 & Preg girls. As a CHILD of a teen mom it sure as hell was NOT easy, not on my mother or on my siblings.

Angela

Posted at 4:39 AM on June 17, 2012

I don’t think these show are going to stop teens from becoming pregnant. However, I don’t think they show a realistic picture of being a struggling, financially, single parent with no education. In truth, I’ve watched Teen Mom since the 16 and Pregnant segments, Teen Mom, after season one, once they receive the fat paychecks, is as realistic as Gilmore Girls. Which is to say, not at all….

Teen Mom

Posted at 4:45 PM on June 12, 2012

Well I love my daughter and I would not change nothing. Im not a rich teen mother by all means, I live pay check to pay check and if it wasn’t for my best friend I would of had to let my parents take my baby girl. My friend is a true blessing cause she watches Brooklynn when I work. My cousin is in the same situation that I am but she can’t work but has a boyfriend that works. I watch 16 and pregnant and it doesn’t show what teen parents really do in my opion we have to pay for the stuff that the baby needs, how much insures is and when the take the baby to the doctor or having to pay for having a baby at the hospital.

disco

Posted at 4:04 PM on June 12, 2012

Based on how many of my facebook friends are enjoying sleep dep, epic crying, dirty diapers, being poor and posting far too many pictures….yeah parenting looks like a ball!

NOT