Robin Roberts: Your Incredible Courage Facing MDS Is Inspirational

Mon, June 11, 2012 4:26pm EDT by 15 Comments
Robin Roberts Leaving GMA

Robin – I’m so glad that there is no thought of you leaving ‘GMA.’ Your courageous determination to face your disease and beat it is inspiring to anyone who has ever faced adversity.

Robin Roberts – If ever there was a time to be “in it to win it,” it is now. And you made it very clear on GMA this morning, June 11, that you will conquer the blood and bone marrow disease you’ve been diagnosed with – myelodysplastic syndrome, also known as MDS.

Anyone who watched you break your heartrending news to your audience had to admire your strength and composure. Your voice was strong even as tears began falling from your eyes.

You were honest and direct explaining that as a result of your treatment from breast cancer five years ago you had developed a second very serious condition that would require a bone marrow transplant.

“Bottom line I am going to beat this. My doctors say I can do it and my faith says it,” you told us.

And you definitely do have reason to be optimistic according to Dr. Michael Weiner, professor and director of Pediatric Oncology and vice-chair of the department of pediatric Oncology at Columbia University Medical Center. ” It’s a tough treatment with six to eight weeks in the hospital. It is like going to hell and back but there’s a good possibility that she’ll be cured.. Bone marrow transplants are far better today than ten years ago.”

Robin – instead of dwelling on anything frightening or negative despite the fact that you have received very frightening news – you immediately focused on the positive. You explained that you have a virtually perfect bone marrow match – your older sister, Sally-Ann, who was there in the studio holding tight to Diane Sawyer’s hand and whispering up to the heavens – “Thank you.”

“I’m like everyone else who faces some life altering situation. It’s about getting up off the mat and fighting,” you told your audience.

And those words are so meaningful to all of us because everyone at some point in their life faces news that will knock them flat on their backs. You are now for the second time in your life receiving that kind of devastating news.

I know what it’s like and how hard it is to even breathe when you have the floor give way beneath you, like that. It happened for me when my daughter Leilah was diagnosed with leukemia when she had just turned five years old. You feel like your world is collapsing and it is so hard to think, see, hear and even stand.

That’s why, your ability to stay composed, share your news with millions of people and speak so eloquently about focusing on “the fight, not the fright,” is so impressive.

I’m also so impressed by how the GMA and ABC team has rallied around you. George Stephanopoulos is clearly devastated and told you “I’m in awe of the way you’ve handled this,” Richard Besser, GMA’s senior medical and health editor held your hand throughout the segment, Diane Sawyer, the anchor of ABC World News, who you described as your “Thelma,” was in the studio holding your sister’s hand and even Anne Sweeney, the co-chair of Disney Media Networks and President of the Disney-ABC Television Network, was there to support you.

“We’re a team – it is OUR fight, it is not your fight,” Richard Besser told you.

Robin – that’s how we all feel. All of us who watch you, admire you, will be sending you our daily prayers and admiring your strength as you continue co-hosting for as long as your health permits before your transplant.

Thank you again for sharing your great challenge. We know you WILL beat this!

Now, Hollywoodlifers – share your best wishes with us and Robin by commenting below.

Bonnie Fuller

More Robin Roberts

1. Robin Roberts Diagnosed With MDS — Details on Her Disease
  2. ‘GMA’ Host Robin Roberts Announces She’s Diagnosed With MDS
  3. Robin Roberts Channels Nicki Minaj During ‘GMA’ Halloween!

K.E.Mathew

Posted at 7:36 AM on January 7, 2013

Robin
My prayers are with you as you continue to make your way to full recovery. You are an inspiration to many and God is not finished with you yet. We love you.
KE

Merrily Snider

Posted at 2:25 AM on August 29, 2012

Robin, I will be thinking of you during this difficult time. You are such a strong person that I know you will be able to sail through this but, know that a lot of people are thinking of you.

Bankong Ucuz Uçak Bileti

Posted at 4:05 AM on June 18, 2012

My brother recommended I would possibly like this blog. He was once entirely right. This post actually made my day. You cann’t believe just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

servers,free hosting,website builder,

Posted at 1:21 AM on June 18, 2012

Plus, Free Webste Builder,Free Marketing Tools

play kof wing 1.8 online

Posted at 9:33 PM on June 16, 2012

We are a gaggle of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with helpful info to paintings on. You’ve done an impressive activity and our entire group will be thankful to you.

mobile phone sex tube

Posted at 10:49 AM on June 16, 2012

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time as you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a applicable deal. I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vivid transparent idea

Janet Isaac

Posted at 9:59 AM on June 16, 2012

Robin,
I thank God for people like you that don’t hide their md conditions but set an example to all that there is a chance, and how to hope and fight and win.

family healthcare

Posted at 8:03 AM on June 16, 2012

Remarkable issues here. I’m very satisfied to peer your article. Thanks so much and I am taking a look ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

arhitect

Posted at 4:36 AM on June 16, 2012

I was suggested this website by way of my cousin. I’m now not positive whether this put up is written via him as no one else realize such designated about my problem. You are incredible! Thank you!

guvenlik kamerasi, guvenlik kameralari. kamera sistemi

Posted at 4:30 AM on June 16, 2012

I am extremely inspired together with your writing abilities and also with the layout to your weblog. Is this a paid subject or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it is rare to peer a great weblog like this one today..

aksesoris grand livina

Posted at 1:03 PM on June 15, 2012

Magnificent site. Plenty of useful info here. I’m sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you to your effort!

Fete Online

Posted at 1:42 PM on June 13, 2012

Woah this weblog is excellent i love studying your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You already know, many persons are looking around for this info, you could aid them greatly.

chuyen phat nhanhFedEx

Posted at 1:53 PM on June 12, 2012

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog so i got here to return the favor?.I’m attempting to find issues to enhance my website!I guess its ok to make use of some of your ideas!!

PSD to Wordpress Theme

Posted at 12:12 PM on June 12, 2012

Thank you for some other informative website. Where else may I get that kind of info written in such an ideal method? I’ve a venture that I am just now working on, and I’ve been at the look out for such information.

Anna Haddow

Posted at 10:16 AM on June 12, 2012

Robing, sending you positive vibes YOU will beat this monster, I to am a 2 tin=me cancer survivor having leukemia in remission now going into the 5th yr and had breast cancer as well it will be 1 yr out. But I know you will do great and having such a positive attitude always makes it better. Robin my prayers and thought are with you and your family God bless you and keep your head up and stay strong as always..