Carrie Underwood Reveals She Supports Gay Marriage

Mon, June 11, 2012 9:14pm EDT by 22 Comments
Carrie Underwood Gay Marriage

In a recent interview, Carrie Underwood explains why her Christian faith has led her towards supporting gay marriage, rather than condemning it.

As America’s reigning country queen, Carrie Underwood has always been vocal about her Christian faith,  with songs such as “Jesus, Take The Wheel.” However, she’s only recently opened up on how that same faith has led her to accept gay marriage.

In an new interview with The Independent in the UK, the 29-year-old songstress opens up about her support, saying, “As a married person myself, I don’t know what it’s like to be told I can’t marry somebody I love, and want to marry. I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love.”

Carrie explains that, though she was raised Baptist, a church that tends to stand against homosexuality, she and husband Mike Fisher now attend a non-denominational congregation.

“Our church is gay-friendly,” she says. “Above all, God wanted us to love others. It’s not about setting rules, or [saying] ‘everyone has to be like me’. No. We’re all different. That’s what makes us special.”

Carrie concludes with, “We have to love each other and get on with each other. It’s not up to me to judge anybody.”

Carrie is currently making the press rounds in the UK as she readies for her first ever British concert later this month at Royal Albert Hall.

We applaud Carrie for taking a stand and wish her luck at her first UK show!

Aren’t you glad Carrie spoke out in favor of gay marriage? Let us know!

Written by Billy Nilles.

jack01

Posted at 8:10 PM on May 21, 2014

I do not really care any more.If they leave me alone i can put up with it.Just do not grab each other in public all the time.

Liberal

Posted at 9:21 PM on November 21, 2012

It’s funny how people don’t believe in love between two men or two women, but prefers to believe that God is someone to be feared. Carrie is just accepting them, coz she knows that nobody in the world has the rigtht to judge another human being. They aren’t harmful and people should lean first that the Bible is a collection of books. And it tells the love between David and Jonathan. There wasn’t women there and it was enough for them

Seth-thegay

Posted at 3:34 AM on October 2, 2012

I love Carrie even more now. Also, for all of you who have an issue with this, guess what, you are everything that is wrong with this world. No one should EVER that to feel less than because of someone else’s religion. And someday, very very soon, it will be you on the wrong side of history.

Leslie

Posted at 9:16 AM on July 7, 2012

Celebs don’t know when to keep their mouths shut. WTG Carrie! If she is so Christian she would be highly against gay marriage. What’s the next lie gonna be? She’s not so innocent anymore is she?

In other words, the skinner she gets the more long-faced she is looking in certain photos. The next Jaynette Leno?

steph

Posted at 12:02 AM on June 19, 2012

Look, sometimes there are things that we still need to learn. I used to be for abortion because I didn’t want to tell a woman that was raped that she had to have the baby. But when I became a believer, I realized that even unborn babies were human beings because God had showed that to me. Instead of bashing on Carrie, I think we should continue to love on her by gently and kindly and respectfully telling her what the Bible says. This may be something that God still needs to teach her.

mikey kerdey

Posted at 11:49 AM on June 18, 2012

She is a joke. marriage is an institution between a man and women , what kind of religion would directly contradict the bible and make up a new kind of marriage, called gay marriage. Sorry Carrie your a joke, no christian belives in gay marriage. marriage is for pro-creation only and gay marriage in no way entails that..She better never label herself a conservative again or she will be guilty of the sin of lying, because certainly is not. Once again carrie your a joke..

Nom DeGuerre

Posted at 11:00 AM on June 15, 2012

I’m pro-family.

In her statement, Carrie said, “Above all, God wanted us to love others.” Carrie should at least get the facts straight (no pun intended). When the religious leaders of His day asked Jesus what is the most important of all the commandments, Jesus responded:

“Jesus answered him, ‘The first of all the commandments is: `Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.` This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.` There is no other commandment greater than these.’” Mark 12:29-31 (NKJV)

So, above all, God wants us to love Him wholly, with heart, soul, mind and strength. In John 14:15, Jesus indicates that those who love Him (God), will keep His commandments. Other scriptures indicate that God sees homosexuality as abominable (loathsome) and sinful. It goes against the Creator’s design.

By the way, how is supporting and/or enabling others’ dysfunction showing love?

Mary

Posted at 10:00 AM on June 14, 2012

Homosexuality is called an abomination by God in the bible. I am so tired of the “God preached love” response…. He preached love sure, but do you not remember Him turning over the money changers in the synagogues? Or remember the story of Noah & the ark? He was mad & disgusted with the sins of man! We don’t have to condone sin! It’s time that Christians stand up for things we know are wrong! I’m not condoning those Westboro baptist folks either-they are absolutely wrong too. God loves all of us, but I’m sure He is disgusted with all of our sins & His heart is saddened by it!

Jherrel Peters

Posted at 4:31 AM on June 13, 2012

She lost a lot of respect from me for saying this. In the end when you’re a celebrity you’re going to have to choose either being a public pleaser or a God pleaser, ultimately, we know who she chooses to serve by being politically correct like this. Although we can’t force people to see things the way we do as believers, we ARE to take a stand as to what we believe is right and wrong and not twist our beliefs simply because others will be upset. That’s having no sort of integrity, it IS a sin and it IS wrong.

Ashley

Posted at 4:24 PM on June 12, 2012

I am so proud of her because I feel the same way. It really makes me angry to hear people say its a sin in the eyes of god as an excuse for not letting them marry. There are many things we do in our day to day lives that are sins in the eyes of the lord. Like for example if you have ever slept with someone out of wedlock big no no. I have never met anyone from my generation , or the one before for that matter, that was a virgin on their wedding night! Now what I wonder is what makes you’re sins any better then theirs!

Shannon

Posted at 8:02 PM on June 14, 2012

My sin is not any better than theirs but it doesn’t make it any less of a sin. Jesus says very plainly that all fornication outside of marriage is a sin and that marriage is defined as a man and woman. Therefor all those people, even Christians, having sex outside of marriage are sinning. To ask a Christian to say otherwise is to ask us to declare Jesus a lier, which is intolerant to my faith. I can not judge anyones salvation, including homosexuals. I have no idea what their heart and their relationship with God is, only God judges salvation. But we as Christians are called to hold each other accountable according to God’s word Carrie is right in that God loves us all and asks us all to love one another. But she is wrong in saying that gay marriages are not a sin.

Maggie

Posted at 9:17 AM on June 12, 2012

2 Timothy 4:3-43

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Freda

Posted at 8:48 AM on June 12, 2012

Am sad Carrie got it all wrong. I don’t agree with her at all. It’s true we have been asked to love one another but God never married Adam and Adam. He rather joined Adam and Eve.

Kyleah

Posted at 2:05 AM on June 12, 2012

Good for Carrie U. and @ gege the bible does not tell you everything in it which mean Carrie ain;t totally wrong @ all you choose to disagree of what she said. and @ mon shut up & go read a damn book

gajt

Posted at 1:40 PM on July 1, 2012

Maybe you should go read a book– an English book. But, obviously to you, that would be a “damn” book.

day of Leeiyah

Posted at 1:33 AM on June 12, 2012

@ gege U choice to disagree what Carrie underwood said… and she ain’t totally wrong u dumbazz only God can judge it. and when you read a Bible the Bible does not tell you everything cause some of the thing in it ain’t true. Good for Carrie and @ MON you need to go Read the damn Bible & Shut up

jim

Posted at 11:22 PM on June 11, 2012

Jesus preached love. God said only he may judge. Carrie is spot-on here.

gege

Posted at 10:54 PM on June 11, 2012

shes totally wrong cuz gay is a sin, is not acceptable in God eye. Thats why God created a man and a woman(Adam and Eve) and not man and man or woman and woman. Am really disappointed in her that she said that. yeah, i know am not perfect and i can judge people.Lets be real here, shes a christian. we all know wats right, good and acceptable in God eye. we can be unique in our own way but that doesn’t mean that we have to be gay to be unique. I totally disagree with her, she should go read her bible well .

Jessica

Posted at 11:11 PM on June 11, 2012

I realize that your against what Carrie said but I think that Carrie is right because people are different but some people aren’t trying to be gay to be different, they just are gay. There’s nothing wrong with it.YOU just need to accept the world as it it is… even if it’s not accepted in the bible. I hope this doesn’t a fend you. If it does a fend you… sorry. But Carrie should be able to say anything without people jugging her. Just saying….

Jena

Posted at 3:26 PM on June 12, 2012

You cannot pick and choose what you like out of the Bible. Take it all as truth or don’t take any of it.

mon

Posted at 11:25 PM on June 11, 2012

Gay is not a sin. Gay sex is. You need to go read the bible.

Mrs. Coleman

Posted at 10:41 AM on June 12, 2012

It concerns me that people claims to be Christians because they believe there’s a God but they don’t fear God’s word.

I understand that the world’s moral decline is inevitable. If the government wants to give couples the same benefits, then they can allow it. I wouldn’t be against it. However they are trying to redefine morality and that I can’t stand for. Right is right and wrong is wrong no matter how many people wants to rewrite God’s word.

I’ve been staying quiet about this issue but when so called Christians are twisting the word of God then it’s time to take a stand. Thank you for being one that stands for the truth when everyone else wants to rewrite the truth.