'Bunheads' Series Premiere: Michelle Receives The Shock Of Her Life

Mon, June 11, 2012 10:00pm EDT by 29 Comments

What did you think of ABC Family’s newest series? Read our recap & give us your review!

Here’s a question for all you single ladies: Have you ever been so desperate that you’d actually consider dating a stalker? That’s the situation Las Vegas showgirl Michelle (Sutton Foster) found herself in on the June 11 series premiere of Bunheads, except she didn’t just date her stalker, Hubbell (Alan Ruck) — she married him!

Once the alcohol wore off, Michelle realized she may have made a mistake by packing up her feathers and moving to Alan’s sleepy coastal town — especially when she discovered he still lives with his high-strung mother Fanny (Kelly Bishop). And just as creator Amy Sherman-Palladino promised, the two women immediately butted heads, even in front of the whole town at Michelle and Alan’s wedding party.

Michelle also didn’t see eye-to-eye with Hubbell’s wackjob ex-girlfriend Truly (Friday Night Lights‘ Stacey Oristano), though the relationship between those two women is more awkward than anything else.

It wasn’t until Michelle found herself — a little tipsy, I might add — in Fanny’s dance studio that she really began to find her true calling in town. She quickly developed a friendly rapport with Fanny’s ballet students, putting them through an impromptu “audition” to give them a taste of what life as a dancer is really like. And in true TV fashion, Fanny happened to witness the whole thing.

Emily and Fanny eventually bonded over a dance — and a drink — but their momentary truce was quickly interrupted with some shocking news from Truly: Hubbell was in a car accident, and it’s unclear whether or not he made it out alive!

In case you didn’t see my original review of Bunheads, allow me to reiterate just how much I loved this pilot. The chemistry between Sutton and Kelly is electric, the scene with Sutton and the girls was totally engaging, and I’m dying — pun intended — to find out what happened to Hubbell.

What did you think of the series premiere? Has Bunheads secured a spot on your DVR, or are you choosing to pass? Drop me a comment with your review!

— Andy Swift

Please tell me

Posted at 12:05 PM on June 23, 2012

I was wondering…Is this show going to be like desperate housewives? Involving murder…? Why would he die suddenly? And the place is called ‘paradise’. Is it used ironically to hide the truth of the place? Am I over thinking??

Jan

Posted at 10:37 AM on June 21, 2012

Will not watch without Hubbell. The romance was sweet and so promising.

Cherick

Posted at 1:24 PM on June 19, 2012

I love this show I’m at episode 2 now, I’m so bummed about Hubbel and I hopehes wackjob x kidnapped him. Coz I really wantd 2 C if him and Michelle culd’ve fallen in love, so I truly hope he’s alive love this show

Mary-Catherine G

Posted at 6:59 PM on June 18, 2012

Please, Please, Please! Keep him alive!
Great Chemistry! A kind Heart with an great attitude!
I will not watch if he is taken out of the equation.

marci

Posted at 6:58 PM on June 16, 2012

I hope he didnt die too! But i can see them doing something along the lines of Mary Alice from desparate housewives. And since they did consumate their marriage i think there’s a good chance that she will have a “bun” head in the oven:

Bec

Posted at 1:28 PM on June 15, 2012

I loved gilmore girls and have missed the show and witty come backs and silly fun romance. I hope Alan did not die. I love romantic comedies with twists and side characters. hoped this would be the feel good fun show to focus on over the summer. It sure did a twist at the end to get you all to want to watch the next show. isnt that what shows want is to have you tune in again?? it sure is. so maybe there will be a suprise and he will be in a cast. the ex gf said she was sorry but didnt say sorry for what….he may jsut be hurt…maybe he is dead. but i sure hope not, he would be the laid back side that the show needs.

Carol

Posted at 12:17 PM on June 14, 2012

I was enjoying Michelle & Hubbell’s romance. When Michelle said she could see herself falling in love with him, it melted my heart and I was looking forward to watching their relationship develop & deepen while she tangled with his mother and mentored the girls. I am not entirely sure I will watch if this storyline plays out. I am tired of tragic love stories…it really could have been a nice storyline to ride along side of the main plot….sigh.

Parisa

Posted at 12:11 PM on June 13, 2012

Couldn’t he have died after the 1st season. This sucks. Not sure if I will continue to watch.

Casey

Posted at 11:25 PM on June 12, 2012

Wtf? If hubble dies it ruins the whole show. It eould be totally unrealistic for her to.stay if he dies, no one would considering how they met! Maybe if it had been in a much later episode. They were cute. Thumbs up if hes alive. If hes dead I prolly wont watch the rest of the show. Very didsapointing everythings moving too fast!

Gary

Posted at 11:02 PM on June 12, 2012

I really liked the pilot . I hope Hubble is alive because he was a geart guy and it seemed like a good story to unfold..

bitchstolemyremote

Posted at 10:11 PM on June 12, 2012

The initial premise is a little challenging to get over, but Amy S-P definitely sells it and Sutton Foster is an amazing find (especially after appreciating her on Broadway for so many years).

Can’t wait to see more!

Our take: http://wp.me/p1VQBq-11F

PC

Posted at 5:32 PM on June 12, 2012

I’m sorry the Hubbell character is dead. But the title is Bunheads and it is on ABC Family. The show is about the kids and their teacher. His role was to get the unhappy showgirl from Vegas to Stars Hollow, As long as the kids don’t immediately start getting pregnant, find their identical twin sisters, or get threatening messages hourly on their cell phones, be happy to have a show with delightful characters and dialog to enjoy for the next few weeks.

Jane

Posted at 11:19 AM on June 12, 2012

Hubbell was such a great character – why would they kill him off??? I really hope he’s just in a coma or something, but in the previews for next week it really seems like he is dead. Having two people get married before they get to know eachother was such a cool side-story to have in a non-sitcom show – and Hubbell was so sweet and different and kind of mysterious. After the first half of the show I actually set it up to record the pilot so my husband could watch it. I thought he would really enjoy the Hubbell character and the unfolding of a different kind of romantic relationship. Once it looked like Hubbell died I canceled the recording – I don’t really want to watch a show with no men at all and I would dislike Emily if she inherited the house/ballet studio from Hubbell and then got interested in another guy. I will watch next week to see what happened with Hubbell, but if they got rid of him and lost the most interesting and original part of the show, I don’t think I will bother with Bunheads for too long.

Lori

Posted at 10:34 AM on June 12, 2012

I wish Hubbell was alive. I would enjoy watching the relationship slowly develop into something real. There are too many poor relationship models in the mives and tv today, and watching this slowly develop would be great. That said, Alan Ruck was only a guest star so I think it is unlikely that they let him live.

Joy

Posted at 8:41 AM on June 12, 2012

I really liked the show BUT I didn’t like the last minute of the pilot. I probably wouldn’t like the show as much if Hubble died :( At first I thought “man what a creeper!” but over the course of the episode I really started to like him and he and Michelle could eventually make a really nice couple!! I hope he’s just injured……

Colleen Pippin

Posted at 4:27 AM on June 12, 2012

I loved Bunheads. Please don’t let Hubbel really be dead! I think he and Michelle should fall madly in love. Thanks for such a refreshing show. No! I just read the husband did die. You made a real mistake there.

Kevin

Posted at 6:46 AM on June 12, 2012

I agree Colleen, it is a shame. I was looking forward to seeing Alan Ruck continue to give depth to a weekly role. He was the most stable and amiable character in the program, from my perspective. However, as Hubbell said in the show “I am not a fool”. In this case, I realize, I do not fit the targeted demographic. As a grandfather of granddaughters I appreciated the message of the building of confidence and disassociation of body type to what a person can accomplish. There were other bright points, but without the dynamics of Hubbell it becomes of a GG clone. Too bad I might have continued to watch

Dave

Posted at 1:43 AM on June 12, 2012

Thanks for the spoiler, you idiot. Bet you never read a book in your life.

Andy Swift

Posted at 8:56 AM on June 12, 2012

ME?!

Erika

Posted at 1:30 AM on June 12, 2012

I wasn’t sure at first, because it seemed like such a Gilmore Girls rip off, especially with Fanny/Emily being the mother figure, but I ended up liking it. I was really starting to think that I might continue to watch, but then the dramatic killing-off of hubby Hubbell left me feeling betrayed by the cheerful and engaging beginning.

Cameron

Posted at 11:37 PM on June 11, 2012

I will say that I was mainly going into this for the dancing (being a dancer myself) but was surprised and happy to find that I really liked this pilot. The writing was funny, the acting was better than most of ABC family’s other shows, and the ending had me staring at the tv in shock. I will definitely be watching the episode next week. And keeping my fingers crossed that Hubbell isn’t dead!

stacey

Posted at 11:24 PM on June 11, 2012

I LOVE this show. Just like I LOVED gilmore girls (before Amy left). BUT I really dislike that they killed him off…I really hope they didn’t, but from previews for next week, it looked like they did. AND that maybe that is why she ends up staying, so she can take over and be the new ballet teacher.
I just hope he didn’t die.
Maybe a coma??? that way she could still take over as teacher but eventually he wakes up and they fall in love and…maybe have little ballet babies in the finale :).

nina

Posted at 11:28 PM on June 11, 2012

thatd be cute but it seems he leaves her everything in his will and thats why she stays. cuz its now “hers”

stacey

Posted at 11:58 PM on June 11, 2012

That sounds like it could be right.Are you basing that on the previews or do you have some place where you get this insider info; if so do share please!

Ronda Osuldsen

Posted at 10:22 PM on June 11, 2012

Why did they kill off Hubbel? That is depressing. I wanted to see her fall in love with him in time plus find success in teaching dancing.

Ronda

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:24 PM on June 11, 2012

Well, we don’t TECHNICALLY know if he’s dead yet… do we?

Nina

Posted at 11:27 PM on June 11, 2012

we don’t know for sure but reading the info on the upcoming episodes all signs point to yes he is dead. and i agree i really wanted to see them fall for each other. not sure why storyline shows otherwise

Mishell

Posted at 4:02 PM on June 17, 2012

I was not interested in watching this show at all until I saw Alan Rucke was on the cast. If they kill him off, I will definitely never watch it again. The dancing and tension between Hubbel’s mom and wife is not a strong enough plot to carry a show. So many shows die the moment cast members are changed- bad move if they kill off the character that obviously is the balance this show can’t do without

Sue

Posted at 6:20 PM on June 18, 2012

He’s dead. He’s not on the cast list on IMDB or anywhere else. That is a shame. Gilmore girls appealed to all generations. With this one it is obviously aiming for teens. The relationship with Hubble was the only adult thing and it is completely unrealsitic that she would stay if he were dead. Not enough time given for her to bond with moms or girls. Guess they couldn’t afford Alan Ruck.