'True Blood' Season Premiere Recap: Tara's Fate Is Finally Revealed

Sun, June 10, 2012 10:00pm EDT by 47 Comments
True Blood season premiere

The fifth season premiere of ‘True Blood’ served up new secrets, grim deaths and… incest? I really forgot how messed up life in Bon Temps could be!

We’ve seen so many incarnations of Tara (Rutina Wesley) over the past few years — a cage fighter, a witch and a lesbian, just to name a few — that she’s starting to feel like Bon Temps’ version of Barbie. (More specifically, a Barbie that refuses to die.) But the June 10 season premiere of True Blood found Sookie’s (Anna Paquin) identity challenged BFF taking on a whole new persona.

That’s right, our girl Tara has officially turned into a vampire. In a moment of sheer desperation, Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) and Sookie begged a very reluctant Pam (Kristin Bauer Van Straten) to turn Tara — who was still missing part of her head, thanks to Debbie Pelt’s shotgun.

Tara’s transition will no doubt provide entertainment for the rest of the season, but I have wonder how necessary this whole story line is. Will becoming the one thing she despises most finally give some much-needed depth to her character, or is this merely a case of the writers (once again) not knowing what to do with Tara? I’ll be honest, I’ve been waiting for Tara to die for a long time.

And while Sookie was cleaning yet another dead body off her kitchen floor, Bill (Stephen Moyer) and Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) were up to their perfectly sculpted jawlines in Authority drama. After escaping their captors via an exploding car — the physics of which still don’t make sense to me, even after watching the episode three times — the rogue vamps were joined by Eric’s sister-with-benefits Nora (Lucy Griffiths). Of course, it wasn’t long before they were back in captivity.

Side note: Can we take a minute to discuss how messed up Eric and Nora’s relationship is? I know they’re not technically related, but they were both “made” by Godric, and they refer to each other as “brother” and “sister” while humping. When Eric said, “We fight like siblings, but we f**k like champions,” I laughed — and then I shuddered.

In other relationship news, Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll) and Jason (Ryan Kwanten) are attempting to keep their relationship casual, but it’s a lot harder than they both thought. For starters, Steve Newlin (Michael McMillian) didn’t come back to kill Jason; he returned to profess his love for him! Jessica was forced to step in and “claim” Jason, which confused the easily confusable Stackhouse stud, because Jessica proceeded to hook up with some small-town rando at a house party.

Jason, meanwhile, had an opportunity to take a girl back to his place, but decided to merely drive her home. He’s totally hung up on Jessica, and I wish she would stop being so ridiculous and just make it official with him. Our little boy’s growing up, and she needs to recognize that! (I guess I also need to remember that she’s literally going to be a teenager forever.)

Alcide (Joe Manganiello) owned up to killing Marcus, which officially made him the new packmaster, but he wasn’t exactly thrilled about the title. He didn’t even join his pack in the ceremonial nomming of Marcus’ corpse! (Which was totally gross, by the way.)

Terry (Todd Lowe) faced his (potentially literal) demons as his old army buddy (Scott Foley) revealed that every other member of their troop recently lost their homes to fires — just like what happened to Terry and Arlene (Carrie Preston) last season! Anytime his friend brought up the past, Terry got super sketchy and told him to shut up. I’ve always liked Terry, but I’ve never been interested in him. This episode changed that, 100 percent.

And then there’s Russell Edgington (Denis O’Hare). We didn’t get a good look at the just-released baddie, nor did we learn who set him free, but we do know that he’s being fed — and I can’t wait to have him back in Bon Temps!

Like all good season premieres, this one gave us a ton of new information to chew on. What was your favorite new development? Do you think it was a mistake turning Tara into a vampire? And, seriously, how gross was it watching Eric refer to Nora as his “sister” while they had sex? Drop your thoughts and theories in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

More True Blood News:

1. ‘True Blood’ Season 5 Trailer: Russell Returns
  2. Sookie Hooks Up With Alcide In New ‘True Blood’ Season 5 Trailer
  3. ‘True Blood’ Season 5 Clip: Eric & Pam Fight Over Russell Edgington

united states subway $100 Gift Card

Posted at 3:51 AM on June 17, 2012

I do agree with all the ideas you’ve offered for your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too short for starters. Could you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

baby mittens

Posted at 1:40 AM on June 16, 2012

Hello, Neat post. There is a problem with your web site in web explorer, may test this? IE nonetheless is the market leader and a big section of other folks will omit your wonderful writing because of this problem.

Looking Girlfriend

Posted at 5:26 PM on June 15, 2012

I just could not go away your site before suggesting that I actually loved the standard information an individual supply in your guests? Is going to be back frequently in order to inspect new posts

mobile downloads

Posted at 6:09 AM on June 15, 2012

Hey There. I discovered your weblog using msn. That is a very smartly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.

Download movie cougar

Posted at 3:41 AM on June 15, 2012

I’ll immediately grasp your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly let me realize so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

buy online amazon staf

Posted at 2:04 PM on June 14, 2012

Useful information. Lucky me I found your web site unintentionally, and I am shocked why this twist of fate did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

Samui Island Weddings

Posted at 11:30 PM on June 13, 2012

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in reality was once a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

swaddling blankets

Posted at 11:10 PM on June 13, 2012

Nice weblog here! Also your site so much up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link in your host? I want my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

Residence Replacing

Posted at 8:53 PM on June 13, 2012

I do not even know how I finished up here, but I thought this post was once good. I don’t realize who you might be however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger if you are not already. Cheers!

JonnyNilsen

Posted at 4:05 PM on June 13, 2012

Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. This is a really smartly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I’ll definitely return.

cheap dildos

Posted at 11:52 AM on June 13, 2012

I don’t even know how I finished up here, but I believed this publish was once good. I do not understand who you’re however definitely you’re going to a famous blogger in case you are not already. Cheers!

timberland heights

Posted at 11:14 AM on June 13, 2012

Hi there, I found your web site by way of Google at the same time as searching for a related matter, your site got here up, it looks great. I’ve added to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

საიტების დამზადება ძალიან იაფად და ხარისხიანად. !

Posted at 9:50 AM on June 13, 2012

Someone necessarily help to make critically articles I’d state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this particular publish amazing. Fantastic task!

Convert your website in to Wordpress

Posted at 4:17 AM on June 12, 2012

You know thus considerably on the subject of this subject, produced me in my view consider it from so many numerous angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be interested except it’s something to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding. All the time deal with it up!

ASfandancer

Posted at 7:51 PM on June 11, 2012

Well Rose-with-thorns, I am a granny, in fact a great-granny, and as far as I’m concerned what is sick is getting all preachy over a TV show for adults that pushes the envelope. I loved the scenes between Eric and his (not at all related just had the same maker) sister. It added yet another layer of fun and games to a great show. I’m not one to say if you don’t like what you see to not watch because your free to watch whatever you like, but if you are going to watch TB a little more open mind might make it more entertaining for you. By the way Andy and PageNYC,, did you not find Bill/Lorena getting it on creepy simply because the words mother and son were not spoken? Geeze I loved that line about f*****g like champions really great.

Posted at 9:00 AM on June 12, 2012

I hope I didn’t come off preachy, I certainly didn’t mean to. I understand they’re not related, and I understand it’s a TV show about vampires.

debt consolidation

Posted at 6:41 PM on June 11, 2012

I am not sure the place you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend a while finding out much more or working out more. Thank you for great info I used to be in search of this info for my mission.

lolanyc

Posted at 1:02 PM on June 11, 2012

they aren’t glorifying incest! They arent related!!! Geezus the people in america are redic! Its a damn TV show it isnt real! Just because its told in a story doesnt mean they promote the behavior.. what about movies like saw where they show killings? are they promoting us to go do it? NO !!!!!!!!! UGHH I can’t with this website, and teh closeminded people on it.. its a TV show! Its meant to get a rise… take it with a grain of salt.

Posted at 9:01 AM on June 12, 2012

I’m close minded because I’m against incest? Yeah, OK.

jh

Posted at 9:16 AM on June 11, 2012

Even if Eric & Nora were related, which they aren’t, don’t you have to be human and alive to truly commit incest? The main reason incest is bad is because of inbreeding. Vampires don’t breed. They basically kill at will, why would they be squeamish about social taboos? No one was grossed out by Talbot & Russel, or Bill & Lorena, but Russell was basically Talbot’s vampire Daddy & Lorena was basically Bill’s vampire Mommy.

Posted at 9:18 AM on June 11, 2012

Haha, I guess it’s not fair to judge vampires by human standards.

Emerald

Posted at 10:20 AM on June 11, 2012

Hey jh!

GREAT point about inbreeding. VERY true!! And they are not really related, they may COME from the same Maker, but Vampires are a totally different species than humans…..and I think this show shocks a lot b/c it goes against many of our own human philosophies…..Personally, I watch this to see the Vampire storylines and philosophies, and I do analyze it and find it fascinating.

And I was thinking the same thing re: Maker having sex with their progeny….wouldn’t that technically be worse if we are to get all up in arms about something???

Posted at 10:49 AM on June 11, 2012

Parents. Siblings. So much incest!

What I found interesting was that Eric and Nora seemed to have always wanted to bang out — but they waited until Godric died. Like, once the parent is gone, it’s totally OK for the siblings to go at it?

Dolamine

Posted at 11:54 PM on June 11, 2012

Inbreeding is the main reason amongst animals. Amongst humans, it’s bad for psychological reasons.

Jessica

Posted at 7:56 AM on June 11, 2012

For the one who fears being the stuck up snob, and the others.. Now pay attention here; the storyline reveals Eric and Nora are both “made” by Godric..no biological relation. Look up biological if you’re having trouble. Listen, on a lighter note, it’s a tv show, a fantastically nutty one, but a tv show.

Posted at 8:52 AM on June 11, 2012

I hope it came through in my recap that I know they’re not biologically related. Still gross that he calls her “sister” during sex.

Emerald

Posted at 10:23 AM on June 11, 2012

You find it “gross” b/c you are too used to thinking like a human…..and the writers are trying to elicit certain reactions and emotions by this dialogue…..I think they were trying to intrigue us as well as repel us and as well as attract us to this scenario all at the same time…..I say: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Posted at 10:49 AM on June 11, 2012

Haha, yeah, if they were trying to intrigue/repel, they definitely accomplished their mission.

Stevie

Posted at 7:31 AM on June 11, 2012

Incest is gross but they are NOT related. Period. So what they are showing is NOT incest. People have all kinds of kinks just because the IDEA of incest might turn someone on doesn’t necessarily make them a sicko or mean they’d do it. The show isn’t promoting anything it’s sheer entertainment and it’s not going to make anyone go all incest because they saw it on tv. This is a sexy racy show, they push the envelope, if you don’t enjoy that don’t watch. And don’t name call people because they like something you don’t, that’s just being ignorant.

Arron

Posted at 3:55 AM on June 11, 2012

Great that Tara is still on the show. Her journey should be very interesting this season

Posted at 8:52 AM on June 11, 2012

Well, I guess there IS a Tara fan in the house. ;)

Shay

Posted at 10:21 AM on June 11, 2012

I love Tara and can’t believe sookie and layfette were so selfish to try and keep her here but I’m glad they did can’t wait to see vampire Tara in action

Posted at 10:50 AM on June 11, 2012

I feel like Sookie & Lafayette were stuck in a terrible position. If they didn’t turn her, they’d wish they did — and now that they did turn her, they’re wishing they didn’t.

Vampire Tara is definitely fun to watch, though. ;)

Michaela

Posted at 11:12 PM on June 10, 2012

Tara a vampire?? Ef that noise. I can’t see her becoming something she despised her whole existence on the show. And Eric and Nora? I feel like Eric will be Eric. He is definitely acting out from the rejection from sooki. I want sooki and Eric together. Jessica and Jason gross me out. I don’t blame Hoyt for telling Jason to go kick rocks. Totally pumped for what’s next!

PageNYC

Posted at 10:48 PM on June 10, 2012

Eric and Nora = Creepy, Sexy, HOT !

Posted at 11:08 PM on June 10, 2012

Agreed!

Rose-with-thorns

Posted at 1:56 AM on June 11, 2012

I just wanted to say that there are very sick people in this page, yes you guessed it, I’m talking about the people here who are “ok” or even find HOT the sex between eric and his sister. it’s not even the fact that the serie shows us incest that disgust me ( incest is a subject like another that can be treated in movies, or tv shows, no problem) but the fact that they make it look hot and inviting. the people behind true blood have gone too far with this, i’m sorry, call me granny, preacher, whatever, you will NOT make me the stuck up girl here because i think that incest thing is an aberration, playing with people’s head like that, i don’t think it’s right, it’s just soooooooo wrong ! on so many levels, EWWWWW

lisa

Posted at 7:51 AM on June 11, 2012

IDIOT. THEY are not real siblings. they just had the same maker……u are sick.

Posted at 8:54 AM on June 11, 2012

I agree it’s a little gross that they’re glorifying incest. We’re all aware they’re not blood related, but they still refer to each other as siblings. Not exactly a fetish I can get down with.

sonia

Posted at 10:33 PM on June 10, 2012

I used to want Eric to be with Sookie but now I want Eric to be with Pam……weird? LOL either way this season is going to be off the hook!!!

Posted at 10:47 PM on June 10, 2012

Haha, can Eric be with Pam? I feel like vampires aren’t supposed to sleep with their makers. But yeah, I love Pam too.

I’m curious to see where this season goes…

Ashley

Posted at 10:07 PM on June 10, 2012

I don’t think Eric and Nora’s relationship is messed up. They were made by the same guy but that’s it. I don’t like them obviously, it’s obvious they have like a love/hate thing going on, but do I think it’s wrong? No.

And Bill had sex with his great-great -great grandaughter last season, and that was actual incest so this pales in comparison, LOL.

I want Eric with Sookie but for now I’m willing to wait. It was never going to be easy.

Posted at 10:30 PM on June 10, 2012

HA! I forgot about Bill and Portia!

At least they stopped having sex once they realized they were related. (Even though, if memory serves, Portia didn’t want to stop. Gross.)

Peka

Posted at 5:21 PM on June 11, 2012

This show is notorius for giving societal norms a big fat “eff you” for no reason but that they can. Therefore Eric consistently calling Nora his sister while doing her does not surprise me at all. Also I can’t remember exactly when Eric was turned but he was a viking. He may have come from a time when marrying/laying with a sister was ok…..
Yes I get that they are not biological but still let’s be honest… it’s a little creepy.

P.S the other Tara fan right here. For the life of me I can’t understand why there is so much Tara hate.