Russ Says: Tom Cruise Deserves An Oscar For 'Rock Of Ages'

Fri, June 8, 2012 6:30pm EST by 16 Comments
Tom Cruise Rock of Ages
Courtesy of Warner Bros.

Tom takes on his most fun and unique role yet as Stacee Jaxx in the new movie musical ‘Rock of Ages,’ opening June 15. The iconic actor delivers his best Axl Rose-meets-David Lee Roth (with a hint of Jim Morrison) rock god tribute — and when the Academy Awards come around, he should be awarded with a golden statue.

Regardless of whether or not you’ve seen the original Rock of Ages musical on Broadway, Tom Cruise probably seemed like a weird choice to play ’80s rocker Stacee Jaxx in the show’s film adaptation. Stacee is a womanizing, drinking rock god with a heart of mold and filth that in no way matches any characteristics of Tom whatsoever. But for all those who thought Tom couldn’t do the part justice — including myself — I am glad to say we were all wrong!

I won’t be reviewing the film here, and I will refrain from any spoilers — you’ll have to wait until next week for that — but Tom arrives on the screen with such force that when you first hear him sing, it’s in no way cringe-worthy. In fact, you instantly enjoy it! Seeing Tom in this role, you feel like it’s exactly the kind of thing Johnny Depp would do with the character, as he makes the scenes and everyone he is working with on screen that much better. And he makes the character his own. It’s really a sight to see!

It’s the kind of departure that the Academy eats up, and this might finally be his chance to win. Not only does the Academy still need to make up for its many missed opportunities, but Tom really deserves a win for taking this chance — and when you all see it. You will certainly agree.

One thing that also may benefit his chances is that they can put this role up for supporting or lead actor categories depending on the competition. With the film centered on his character but also being an ensemble cast he can pick and choose his battles with the other nominated actors. Tom Cruise has always delivered but this is his meal ticket into immortality and if its a vision of how he will choose his future roles then count me in because his role in Rock of Ages is a complete home run!

So listen up, Academy voters: Do yourselves a favor when you get your ballots in a few months, and make sure that Tom wins that Oscar!

So HollywoodLifers, Are you excited for Rock of Ages? Are you excited to see Tom Cruise singing and acting like a rock god? Tell us what your thoughts are and sound off below!

— Russ Weakland

Loading video...

banners broker

Posted at 12:04 AM on July 8, 2012

Thank you for any other excellent post. Where else may just anybody get that type of info in such a perfect means of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the look for such info.

seo marketing companies

Posted at 9:18 AM on July 3, 2012

I’ve been browsing online greater than 3 hours nowadays, yet I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the web will probably be much more helpful than ever before.

peggy

Posted at 7:49 PM on June 27, 2012

WE totally agree tom cruise is fantastic man can he sing we love this movie seen it four times already and will see it again soon im a huge johnny depp fan and i agree completly as good as johnny would give he should win an oscer for sure

20a fuse

Posted at 4:20 AM on June 26, 2012

I do agree with all the ideas you’ve introduced for your post. They’re very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very brief for starters. May just you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

The New iPad

Posted at 10:34 AM on June 22, 2012

Its like you learn my mind! You seem to grasp a lot about this, like you wrote the e book in it or something. I think that you simply can do with a few percent to pressure the message home a bit, but other than that, that is excellent blog. A great read. I’ll definitely be back.

wrist blood pressure meter

Posted at 2:16 PM on June 21, 2012

I simply could not depart your site before suggesting that I extremely loved the usual information a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back ceaselessly to check up on new posts

Miami Shores Houses For Sale

Posted at 3:00 PM on June 19, 2012

I think that is among the most important info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. However want to remark on few common issues, The web site taste is ideal, the articles is actually excellent : D. Just right process, cheers

family healthcare

Posted at 8:21 AM on June 18, 2012

It’s actually a cool and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

penis anatomy

Posted at 10:00 AM on June 16, 2012

Thanks for these tips. One thing I also believe is the fact credit cards giving a 0% rate of interest often bait consumers along with zero interest, instant approval and easy on the web balance transfers, nonetheless beware of the number one factor that is going to void your current 0% easy neighborhood annual percentage rate and as well as throw anybody out into the poor house rapidly.

perla

Posted at 9:58 PM on June 10, 2012

Totally agree!!!

perla

Posted at 9:57 PM on June 10, 2012

Totaly Agree!!!

Kitty

Posted at 4:43 PM on June 9, 2012

take my breath away!!!!!

Nellie

Posted at 9:29 PM on June 8, 2012

If he is as interesting and fun as he looks in the trailer, he’ll definitely have my vote.

jenn

Posted at 8:11 PM on June 8, 2012

i’d see it looks good!

Cere

Posted at 8:03 PM on June 8, 2012

Correction: Magnolia and also for The Last Samurai.

Cerr

Posted at 8:02 PM on June 8, 2012

He should’ve won for Magbolia it is brilliant.