We’re not saying your kid is like the deranged boy in Tilda Swinton’s ‘We Need To Talk About Kevin’, but we compiled a list of the 10 red flag behaviors to watch for!
HollyMoms, do you have a trouble maker child who just won’t stop, like the one in We Need To Talk About Kevin? Does your child show no remorse for their bad behavior? Signs of psychosis are more common than you think, according to a new study.
In a Daily Mail report, Professor Paul Frick, who has studied child psychopathy, said not to worry about sibling conflict at home. Frick said the red flags are when”they are constantly hurting people in a cold and calculated manner, in many different situations.”
He lists the the 10 signs to look out for:
1. They persistently hurt, bully or fight others, or violate their rights by stealing or vandalising.
2. They break major rules, such as running away from home or staying out late.
3. They show no guilt when told off for doing wrong, e.g., pushing another child into the road.
4. They show a persistent callous disregard for other people’s feelings — not just siblings (e.g., pushing another child off a swing and being unmoved by their distress).
5. They persistently don’t care about how well they do in, say, school, even when the expectations are clear and they are capable.
6. They seem cold and unfeeling, only showing emotions to intimidate or manipulate.
7. They blame others for their mistakes, rather than accept responsibility themselves.
8. They are fearless and like doing novel and dangerous activities.
9. They are unmoved by the threat of punishment (e.g., ‘if you do that, I am going to take away your bike’).
10. They are highly motivated by reward or what they’ll get out of something, even if it hurts others (e.g., stealing).
— Caroline Zapatero
More shocking child stories: