Mom Who Choked Daughter's Facebook Bully Speaks Out

Mon, June 4, 2012 12:45pm EDT by 5 Comments
Mother Chokes Facebook Bully

The Florida mom arrested for choking a boy over his vicious Facebook comments to her daughter said she ‘lost it’ when she put her hands around his neck in the middle of a mall.

Debbie Piscitella replayed the incident and spoke about the emotions that overcame her when she choked the 14-year-old boy in the St. Petersburg mall.

Debbie recalled on the June 4 Good Morning America broadcast how she confronted the boy, whose name has not been released. “I said, ‘Stop saying things about my daughter on Facebook,’ and I did use some expletives, and I was told that he wasn’t going to stop and he didn’t have to stop.”

Debbie, 46, and her 13-year-old daughter McKenna were shopping on May 28 when they spotted the alleged Facebook bully who commented that McKenna’s picture looked like “a fat f—— whale and didn’t deserve to live because she is so nasty that he wouldn’t even rape her.”

“What really, really did it was when she was so upset about it,” continued Debbie. “She wanted to hurt herself. That, to me, as a parent, seeing my daughter like that really angered me.”

A tearful McKenna also shared what made her most upset about the whole ordeal: “Just the things that he was saying about me.”

Debbie said she and McKenna’s father, Jim, had tried to contact authorities to stop the bullying, but it had fallen on deaf ears. “I went to the school. I went to the SRO, the School Resource Office,” she said. “They [McKenna's father] contacted the police even that night and they were like, ‘Oh, there’s nothing we can do about it.’

Debbie offered advice on what other parents can learn from the incident, saying “I want people to, obviously, try to go through the proper channels. I want you to monitor your children and what your children are doing on Facebook because, obviously, if you look on the Facebook of the children in question, the things that are on there, as a parent, I would shut it down immediately.”

Debbie is charged for child abuse.

Check out the video below, HollyMoms. Vote! Do you think Debbie’s actions were justified?

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

– Lorraine Chow

More bullying news:

1. Scary New School Bullying Video—The Victim Got Suspended, Too! Why??
  2. Selena Gomez: You’re So Smart To Stand Up To Vanessa Hudgens Bullying You!
  3. 7-Year-Old Gets Plastic Surgery To Avoid Bullying — Can This Be A Good Thing?

Tracy

Posted at 5:14 PM on June 4, 2012

I dont agree with what this woman did but as a parent who has dealt with bullying of my own daughter it is a very frustrating issue that the laws need to be put in place so there are punishments for these bullys. The schools can only do so much without the law to back them up. I am so tired of hearing about these bullies getting away with this stuff and something needs to change before more parents so call “lose it” I know I have felt the same way is this lady at times after watching how my own child has been treated

Barb

Posted at 3:39 PM on June 4, 2012

Honestly I would have probably confronted the kid too but ya cant put your hands on anybody in this day and age…kid or adult. You open yourself up to a lawsuit!

I am so tired of these losers picking on poor kids on the internet. If I were the parent of that boy that was writing all this rotten stuff I would have choked my own kid!! Parents need to be more responsible. They need to check their kids Facebook pages.

The mom should have set up a meeting with the 2 kids, both sets of parents, and the principal to try to get this loser to stop. I know I would be pissed if I ever found out my kids bullied anyone.

But I do know some parents are blind to the rotten ways of their kids. I feel real bad for the young lady being bullied. Its so sad.

Jeff

Posted at 2:31 PM on June 4, 2012

The schools should be empowered to do something about cyber bullying. If one student attacks another student the school should be able to suspend them no matter if it happens in the cafeteria or on facebook. It creates an unsafe environment and disrupts the learning experience and teaches the bullies that it’s okay to hurt others if you do it the right way. This poor mother was clutching at straws to protect her daughter and I completely understand seeing red when she confronted the creep. If his parents won’t discipline him, they have no right to complain when someone else takes matters into their own hands.

tiki

Posted at 2:03 PM on June 4, 2012

where as i think she went way over board… honestly. I’d probably have a hard time not doing something similar in her position. though I would contact the parents first with print outs of what their son said.

Lorraine Chow