John Edwards' Children Should Not Pay The Price For His Sins

Thu, May 31, 2012 6:24pm EDT by 8 Comments
John Edwards Trial

After John learned his trial ended without a conviction, he spoke tearfully about his children. I’m glad he avoided jail — for their sake. What do YOU think, Hollywoodlifers?

John Edwards is a lucky man. His trial ended with one count of not guilty and the rest a mistrial. But the real victims here were not Bunny Mellon and the rest of John’s donors, whose money was used to hide his mistress Rielle Hunter.

The victims of this scandal were John’s children. All of them. Oldest daughter Cate, 30, a lawyer, who accompanied her father every day to court, Emma Claire, 14, and Jack, 12, who are being raised by their lone-surviving parent, and little Frances Quinn, 4.

The oldest, besides Cate, had to be well aware of the embarrassing scandal their father was involved in. They have been ridiculed at school, and they no doubt miss their mother Elizabeth Edwards desperately, who they lost to breast cancer in 2010.

Then there is little Frances Quinn, the innocent result of an illicit relationship that her mother Rielle had with John while he was campaigning for president and was still married to Elizabeth.

All these children needed their father and still need their father. It is so terribly painful for any children whose parent or parents end up behind bars.

For that reason, I’m glad that John’s children didn’t have to become fatherless, especially for the three that are also motherless.

I’m glad that John spoke out eloquently about his love for his children after the mistrial.

“Cate has been here there [in the courthouse] no matter how awful or painful the evidence about dad or evidence about her mom who she loves so dearly,” he said on the courthouse steps. “She never once flinched. She said, dad I love you, I’ll be there with you and I have been so proud to have her there with me.”

He related how he takes care of Emma Claire, who turned 14, and Jack, who just turned 12, and how he has not been able to see them quite as much, but “I see them in the morning to get their breakfast ready, get them off to school and then we get home at night and all eat supper together. I love them so dearly and they are such an important part of every day of my life.”

Finally, John made a huge point of talking about the child who he once worked so hard to cover up. His words were like an apology to her. He had betrayed her for so long by denying that he was her father.

“Then, finally, my precious Quinn,” he said, choking up. “Who I love more than any of you could ever imagine. I am so close to and so, so grate for, grateful for Quinn. I’m grateful for all my children including my son Wade who we lost years ago (at age 16 in 1996).”

If anything, John’s statement outside the courthouse was truly a plea for forgiveness from his children. It’s his children who have been paying the biggest price for his sins.

Let’s hope that sincere apology outside the courthouse is just the beginning of how John will make up for the pain he has caused his children.

Do you agree, Hollywoodlifers?

Bonnie Fuller

More John Edwards’ trial

1. John Edwards Jury Reaches Verdict On One Count, Still Deliberating Other 5
  2. John Edwards Attacks Mistress: Calls Rielle Hunter ‘A Crazy Slut’
  3. John Edwards’ Mistress PREGNANT With 2nd Edwards Baby?

Outraged

Posted at 9:50 AM on June 2, 2012

John should not allow Rielle Hunter to publish a book spewing more salacious details and blaming Elizabeth Edwards. She has done it in the past The poor children have heard far too many details of their father’s immoral and unforgivable actions. He needs to be a father who protects his children from the harsh realities of his life. So far he has not done that. So many times he could have righted their world and loved Elizabeth as she should have been loved, but he didn’t. Tragically I don’t think he has changed and we should all pray for these children.

cbinatl

Posted at 9:05 PM on October 21, 2012

I could not agree with you more outraged because I am outraged with John and Rielle’s behavior.i am very glad Elizabeth amended her will to protect her children from the golddigger’s paws on her part of the estate. Rielle only cares about what she can get out if John and Elizabeth worked for.John’s behavior towards his first family was unacceptable as he took the golddigger’s and illegitimate child to the beach on Father’s Day and should have been spending time with them instead.I hope they don’t move too close to them and hope they stay at least an hour away.John will pay the price for his actions if he lets Rielle control his life-he needs to limit or have no contact at all with the moocher!

Sandi

Posted at 3:45 PM on June 1, 2012

John cannot erase his shameful past. Too bad for his disgraced offspring.

get ranked on first page of google under 24 hours

Posted at 2:54 AM on June 1, 2012

You actually make it appear really easy along with your presentation but I to find this topic to be actually one thing that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very extensive for me. I am having a look ahead for your subsequent submit, I will attempt to get the hold of it!

gbtw

Posted at 11:16 PM on May 31, 2012

john has been and will continue to be punished. he doesn’t have to go to jail for that, and i don’t want to see or hear from him anymore. i don’t want to see my tax dollars being spent on a retrial, either. the legal theory here is not cut and dry- they gave their one go at it, and they should just use their resources on something else now. god bless those children, and maybe one day john will have fully atoned for his sins. we can all only hope for the same for our own sins.

john edwards

Posted at 10:09 PM on May 31, 2012

We are a bunch of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with useful info to work on. You have performed a formidable activity and our entire community might be thankful to you.

jog strollers

Posted at 9:38 PM on May 31, 2012

Hello there, I discovered your website by way of Google while searching for a related matter, your site came up, it appears to be like good. I have added to favourites|added to my bookmarks.

Jen

Posted at 6:58 PM on May 31, 2012

Unfortunately, in the real world these children have and will continue to pay the price for their father and his bad behaviors. John Edwards and his family will always be linked to shame. How could a husband cheat and lie to a wife of 30 plus years who was facing her death? No excuses period.