'Sister Wives:' Robyn, Thanks For Being Honest That You'd Strangle Kody Brown For Taking A Fifth Wife

Mon, May 28, 2012 11:23am EDT by 46 Comments
Kody Brown 5th Wife

Robyn, it was great to see you crack and be relatable for once. You’ve been such a non-stop cheerleader for being a sister wife, that it was a relief to hear you admit tonight that as the fourth wife, you have your limits and that Kody better NOT be interested in taking a fifth wife.

Kody Brown, you’ve got some mighty jealous wives. And why are we not surprised? No one man can possibly keep four different wives happy, no matter how much you tell us in your show Sister Wives that it’s your “calling” to marry multiple times. In any case, jealousy was definitely the theme of the episode May 27. Christine finally came clean that she was “sooo jealous” of Robyn after she became Kody’s fourth wife and she did it to Robyn’s face, at a confessional lunch.

“A new wife coming into a plural family always shakes things up a little bit and I’d never experienced a new wife coming into the family. I was the last wife for 16 years,” Christine admits, in one of the understatements of the decade. Yes, we can bet a fourth wife would shake up a marriage a little. ” I really didn’t think I’d get jealous. I’d always been a very secure person and secure in my relationship with Kody. I didn’t anything would rock that boat but it’s still hard even two and a half years after Robyn came into this marriage.”

Of course, any woman outside a sister wife marriage could completely understand why it would have been hard for Christine, who had just given birth to her and Kody’s 6th child when he married Robyn and then took her away on a two week honeymoon, while Christine was left to nurse her baby Truly, on her own. No wonder Christine, ” got jealous, soooo jealous,” she admits to Robyn.

Robyn cries, like Robyn often does, when she thinks her sister wives don’t like her or want her. “Things have been a little rocky between Christine and me because she’s perceived that maybe me coming in threw off her marriage to Kody,” she says, then adds, “I’ve had a hard time dealing with their (the wives) struggle with me… it was hard for me not to take it personally, like they didn’t like me.”

Well, maybe because Robyn realizes that her own addition to the family made Christine so miserable, she is THE wife who is most adamant about a fifth marriage never happening for Kody. “You better not be interested in a fifth wife,” she tells him after Kody answers a viewer’s question about whether or not he’d marry again.  Wisely, Kody says, “The consideration of a fifth wife is … almost a no,” after he in an extra-sensitive moment admits that “every single week I have one of my wives say ‘I miss you and I’m so lonely, so I’m feeling like my life is very spread thin.” Ya think, Kody?

However, he leaves the door open a crack because “if we’d said no to a fourth wife, we’d never have Robyn.” Hmm — I think Christine is still torn on that one.

Christine, however, has decided that the problem with her third marriage isn’t Robyn after all — it’s Kody. “It wasn’t you I had a hard time with,” she tells Robyn. “It was Kody. I just felt left.” She says that Kody “left because I became jealous and it changed our relationship.” Yes — we can understand that. She points out that Kody had promised to be with her through thick and thin and he wasn’t.”

Despite Kody’s betrayal and as far as we know, the ongoing issues with her marriage (as of a couple of episodes ago, Kody was still blowing Christine off when she tried to talk about their issues), Christine still says she would have a plural marriage all over again, in response to a viewers’ question. “It would be a lot easier if Kody was around full time. I feel alone and abandoned and I wish he was there but then I look at the blessings of all the kids and sister wives and I wouldn’t want it any different,” she explains. She also insists she became a sister wife, not because of Kody, but because she wanted sister wives to help her raise her six kids. “My kids are better off because of you, she tells her sister wives.”

So I guess Christine REALLY is torn or maybe she’s trying to justify her decision to have six children with a man who she has to share with three other women. Robyn says she accepts her “position” as fourth wife, whatever that means, first wife Meri says that “jealousy can be a real challenge for us” but seems satisfied with the situation and second wife Janelle  — also a mom of 6 — in reality seems to be the only wife who genuinely seems self-actualized, self confident and maybe just too busy to worry about the fact that she only has Kody in her house and bed every fourth night.

Now Hollywoodlifers — do you really think it’s possible for multiple wives in a marriage not to be jealous of each other?  Tell us now!

-Bonnie Fuller

Gabriel cole

Posted at 9:52 AM on July 23, 2013

I love there religion and I accept them for who they are and I believe god has a place for every religion no matter who thinks its right or wrong only god can judge!!! And who are u to say what u think about them u don’t know them personally so keep your noses out of there business they are good people and they are my idols anyone who can come out like that to the whole world is a HERO It’s my dream to meet them!! I’m so proud of each and every one of them keep up the good work u guys and I know god accepts u know matter what just like I do!!!

Donna

Posted at 4:06 PM on March 28, 2013

What part of polygamy in this family is working ? I think kody is a complete duffis. You have four women who have no problem letting a guy’s unprotected penis swap vagina’s on a daily basis. That Alone makes me want to barf.
Get some self worth ladies, and wake up to the fact there is no celestial advancements for your struggle with fleshly jealously. Your “marriages” are such a rip off to the herd of children you have brought into the world. They are going to be just as dysfunctional as the five of you are.
Take the non stop struggles as a sign from God, that what your doing is wrong and in complete vein.
Kody is only into robin, I cannot imagine the comptempt they must feel towards each other and especially robin who is thin, and attractive. I’m sure they loath and despise one another. I know I despise kody for the self serving , goofball , narsasistic, ding dong he is.

Norma J. Evans

Posted at 8:04 PM on June 19, 2013

amen

Carla Dubin

Posted at 9:14 PM on April 28, 2014

Amen again

Gina

Posted at 8:19 AM on February 22, 2013

This family is surely divided. You have four women who are jealous of the rest. They are all miserable. Meri and Robyn stand together, Jenelle and Christin are together.. They work against each other..Meri thinks she #1 because she is the 1st wife and the only one legally married to Kody. She’s the most selfish one of the bunch.. Christian is the jealous one of the bunch..Robyn is a freeloader who won’t work..The one I feel bad for the most if Jenelle.. She works hard outside the home as well as in the home.. She is being used for everything they can get out of her.. She’s a slave. These other women don’t give a rats butt about her either..and she takes care of them with her money!!! They treat her like a piece of trash.. Kody is so selfish..and Meri is sick in the head. Meri is the most selfish person on TV! One grown kid that’s going to college soon but yet she’s the most pickest of the bunch about her house..and how big she needs it.. How selfish can one be? She doesn’t pay a penny…but yet would take from the wives with the bigger family…This family is divided alright.

Eat More Bear (@dalaurya)

Posted at 9:38 PM on March 6, 2013

Good analysis of the wives and Kody on all points. I completely agree.

Loriann

Posted at 3:03 PM on January 1, 2013

I started watching this show out of curiosity, but have really grown to love this whole family. Kody is sometimes a little immature, but has a good heart; and I get a big kick out of his frustration that none of the wives will “obey” him. The wives are all strong, capable and likeable women, though I confess Janelle is my favorite. I’m astonished that they chose this lifestyle, but they did choose it, and they seem to be generally happy with it. The kids are clearly thriving, and are being raised to make their own decisions–very admirable. I am crossing my fingers for all them that they manage to purchase these new houses. (Come on, TLC, ante up! This show is a hit, and it’s the least you can do!) Meri deserves her big house too, by the way. She’s the first wife, the only one legally married to Kody, and the fact that she does not have a slew of kids is not her fault. Enjoy your wet bar, girl, and don’t let Kody pressure you into having another baby! I especially enjoyed the group interview last night after the Season 3 finale. All of the women looked especially pretty in their t.v. makeup and hairstyles. Like the rest of us–we have busy lives, but can really “clean up” great when the occasion demands! Happy New Year to all of the Brown family members, and may 2013 be the best year yet for all of you.

KC

Posted at 9:08 PM on January 5, 2013

I disagree on the new houses. I think it’s stupid and a waste of money because what they REALLY want is to all be in one home together. The one home is the distinction between a family, or four “baby mamas” sharing a man.

I’m not a polygamist myself but they are going against their values by choosing to live in four different houses.

KC

Posted at 9:08 PM on January 5, 2013

They need to build a new home similar to the Utah house. One home with seperate areas for each wife and a common gathering area for everyone.

Amber

Posted at 2:55 PM on December 20, 2012

This seems like a great solution for lesbians who want large families.

Carla Dubin

Posted at 9:16 PM on April 28, 2014

Oh I love that!

Real talk

Posted at 7:58 PM on October 29, 2012

I really like the family except Christine for some odd reason. It is maybe because she seems the most cold and vicious of all four wives. Kody can exercise his god given right to marry more than 1 spouse and I think he is doing the best he can. I don’t think these women have low self esteem but they probably come from polygamy homes themselves. what gets me really annoyed is when the women think that ooh god they are SO SPECIAL that another woman will NOT replace them after a period of time!

Amber

Posted at 6:03 PM on December 20, 2012

Christine’s actions contradict her words on a regular basis. She is the most needy and biggest creator of discontent. She would be happier in a monogamous marriage. She is the product of childhood polig brainwashing. Her verbiage bashing Robyn’s body type was hilarious. Sorry Kody told the world Christine made him sick watching her eat on their first date. He said he was attracted to her.

Robyn is Kodys midlife crisis wife.
She is sneaky and pulls Kody into stupid secrets from the other wives too (the wedding dress drama, even making the pregnancy a secret only her and Kody shared)
She is a bad mother. I would never toss my kids into a family like she did, the new polig thing is unacceptable to introduce to a 10 yr old but throwing them to be the unrelated outsiders with 17 kids to pick on them! All the while being a mooch! I find her annoying.

Janelle is the most valuable. She is also the nicest most easy going. Her kids seem to help out more with the young children then the other wives contribute to their step kids upbringing.
For how much she contributes money wise she could hire a full time nanny who can actually cook instead of eat Christine’s crappy food.

Meri is an unapologetic resource hog. No way does she deserve a home as large as Janelles.

If Kody had to choose he would choose Janelle, then Robyn, Meri, and red nosed mean Christine would be last. The wives know this deep down. Their behavior reflects that.

KC

Posted at 9:12 PM on January 5, 2013

I think he’d choose Robyn, then Meri, then Jenelle and then Christine. Don’t think he’s all that physically close with Jenelle, they SEEM to be more like best friends than lovers. He seems most affectionate with Robyn and Meri. He seems to have completely checked out on Christine.

I like all four of them, I couldn’t possibly choose a favorite!

Amy Vanderbilt

Posted at 5:43 AM on May 6, 2013

“his god given right to marry more than 1 spouse” sure is cult talk

That Girl

Posted at 12:58 PM on June 14, 2013

I believe in monogamy. How can anything be sacred when you have to feel obligated to share special things with other people because you share the same man? I have watched this show in amazement almost…amazed how women can be ok with sharing a man..having his children and bearing the brunt of the responsibility. Kody hops from house to house, bed to bed… It seems like polygamy was chosen for selfish reasons. I have a friend of mormon faith who explained to me that polygamy began with men taking on wives and children of men who had died, out of respect for their brothers. Men stepping up and making sure widows and children were provided for. That is respectable, but times have evolved. We don’t take cross country trips in hopes of procuring work in horses and buggies anymore, or have cholera outbreaks. I can’t fathom sharing my husband with other women, he is my happiness and I am his. That is what creates a bond. I respect all of these women, Meri has every right to all the things the other women have. She is the first, and only legal wife, and for that Kody and all the other wives who have chosen this life, should respect her. Janelle, I love that she’s such a self confident woman. Christine, is demanding, but smart, in charge, knows what she wants. I love her attitude, and agree that she would be much happier in a monogamous relationship. Robyn…well.. I have to admit that during their courtship i was like..what? Really? How do you go for 16 years without being called to marry another woman, and then BAM! She’s younger, more appealing to the male eye (this is not to say she’s more attractive than the other wives. I find her desperation to belong repulsive).. Thusly, I come to the conclusion that this is a selfish choice. Kody gets what many men want.. a variety..but he doesn’t have to not get caught, he has his women all in agreeance. Also, none of the moms have to raise kids alone, there is always someone to help. I don’t think it’s character building at all. I’m not being judgmental, this is just from the outside looking in. This is what it looks like. I don’t believe in being called to have multiple spouses.

Ashton

Posted at 9:53 PM on October 8, 2012

I really like all of the wives, and I think their children are really great kids. They seem way more normal than say… the Duggar’s (who really weird me out), but it is strange to the type of relationship they live in. As long as they are happy, good for them. However, as much as I think Robyn truly is a good person… She came into this for the man I believe. At the end of season 2 when her and Kody were discussing her pregnancy, it just disgusted me. He takes the hot young new wife on a 2 week honeymoon, while his wife of 16 yrs has to stay home with her newborn? I will not be surprised if Kody shirks on his time with the other wives even more… I am certain which bed he wants to share the most is Robyn. It all just breaks my heart, because Meri, Janelle, and Christine are great women who deserve a whole man to themselves. Basically they are all just really close girlfriends who help raise each others kids… I just don’t see why they didn’t think this life couldn’t have happened if they were each in a monogamous relationship. I feel like the best thing to happen to these women (not that I HOPE for it to happen) but if Kody just dropped dead one day and made them all widows, then they’d finally be free and able to move one maybe into a monogamous relationship that I think they all secretly crave (especially Meri and Christine). But other than becoming widows, these women really don’t have a choice to leave. It would devastate their children and all the other wives children. But like I said in the beginning…. if they are happy good for them. However, I definitely would never be OK with it.

nancy

Posted at 11:23 AM on August 10, 2012

I think the women should each marry another man and give Kody a good taste of how it feels.. He thinks he is all that and bag of chips .. LOL

Pink

Posted at 2:03 PM on June 18, 2012

“Love should be multiplied, not divided,” is Kody’s advice each week. Maybe he should take his own advice and stop dividing his love between 4 women and 17 kids.

melanie

Posted at 11:52 AM on June 26, 2012

Bwahaha…so true!

lolalelani

Posted at 7:38 PM on August 23, 2012

Love that response. I there should have been a response in regards to his Love should be multiplied but could not think of the way to say it. You hit the name right on the head. I wish we could say that to Kody. I want to see him try to wiggle out a quick quote to justify Love being divided among the women.

shana

Posted at 11:13 PM on June 13, 2012

In years gone by a man took many wives for one reason and one reason only, to have many children, Kody has 4 wives and 16 kids, I think, thus far. If he takes a 5th wife and each wife has 8 kids he’ll have 40 kids, I hope he has a good job! I have 6 kids and I’m on the go 24/7, I haven’t had a full nights sleep in 19 years – no kidding! I admire all four wives, I feel a little bad for the kids coz they don’t get all of their father, just part of him. Who are we to judge, we may not understand this way of life, it may not be good for us, but as long as it works for Kody, his wives and kids that’s what counts, I wish The Wives the best of health so that they can always be there for their children.

Elizabeth Bunting

Posted at 11:33 PM on June 12, 2012

Kody Brown: You have kids who are more mature than you are. It is OBVIOUS that you are more in love with Robyn than with your other wives. These people are just single moms. The dad is there once every four days. They are crazy if they let him have a fifth wife. I predict that after this Sister Wives serious goes off the air and that is when all reporters and paparazzi have finished asking him about his sex life, then there will be a marriage breakdup. I would suggest that Christine would be the first one to leave. She seems to be the most dissatisfied with the arrangement.

Angie Sturgill

Posted at 8:22 PM on November 27, 2012

I fully agree. I don’t think Christine likes Kody very much most of the time. She’s always mad at him.

Debbie

Posted at 3:13 PM on June 12, 2012

I am all for a fifth wife only to show Robyn how it feels. Come one fifth wife! Lets shake thinks up!

Debbie

Posted at 3:17 PM on June 12, 2012

I meant, “Come on fifth wife! Lets shake things up!”

marcie

Posted at 7:49 AM on June 4, 2012

I will never, ever understand why a woman would settle for 1/4 of a man, but hey, if that’s how they want to live, go knock yourselves out. I find Kody very likable even though he’s stultifyingly selfish and somewhat clueless—he married up. But I like these people, I like this family, and I wish them well. I just think TLC and the Browns are trying to put an impossibly happy, treacly face on some very deep resentments festering under the surface. If they ever let them out, we’ll finally have good TV.

melissa paschal

Posted at 8:49 PM on May 30, 2012

Dear Browns,I didnt like your show at first .but now i watch you guys ever sunday to see how you are doing. i just wanted to know how many of your parents and family have sister wife’s. And how your family feels about your life style. My favorite wife’s are Robyn and Mari .best of lucky to all of you and i look forward to see what the world has for all of you. melissa paschal

sewcrafty8

Posted at 12:01 PM on May 30, 2012

Polygamy is still illegal in this country. This show should to be on tv. There is no way these women are happy. One man for 4 wives and 17 kids is real hard to do. Many of them are being neglected. Kody is selfish and arrogant. TLC is paying for this lifestyle. They never talk about how they can afford 4 homes, new cars, health insurance, car insurance, etc. The list goes on. None of them seem to have a full time job so how are they going to finance 4 homes. Next weeks show have them at a loan office. I wonder if TLC will foot the bill. I know several hard working families with less kids who cannot afford a home. Will the loan officer not ask for down-payments, credit history and jobs. I wonder if Kody will co-sign for all 4 homes. They started this show with them all living together under one roof, then why do they need 4 homes. What happened to all this sister wife helping sister wife. These women seem to like living in separate homes. I feel sorry for the kids. They are not getting a full time father. I am sure that they all jockey for Kody’s attention when he is with a wife on her night. The wife wants his attention and so do the kids. Polygamy is just wrong and not fair to the women or children.

sewcrafty8

Posted at 12:03 PM on May 30, 2012

Sorry about that, I meant that this show should not be on tv.

LicktheDish

Posted at 7:13 PM on June 18, 2012

Homes in Las Vegas are dirt cheap…you cannot give them away. TLC I am sure pays them quite a bit of money too. But the woman have used food stamps and claimed bankruptcy..

CoV

Posted at 12:33 AM on May 30, 2012

I thought the best part was douchebag Kody saying how it would be vulgar and sickening if Mary was with another man. Herein lies one of the many problems of plural marriage – it’s all an excuse for the narcissistic man to have multiple sex partners and multiple women vying for HIS attention. It’s inherently sexist and the women who sign up are just sad. You don’t need sister wives to help with your kids. These women have actual sisters and there’s something called “friends” who can help. My friend and I help each other when we’re sick or going out of town. I don’t need to have sex with her husband to be able to rely on her. At the end of the day, dumb does what it does. But, it’s sad.

KC

Posted at 9:17 PM on January 5, 2013

I’m not a polygamist, nor would I ever be. But I disagree with you on one point-

Not everyone has sisters or siblings at all. And not everyone has good enough friends to help them with their kids. I’m glad I don’t have kids yet because I don’t have any friends who would even say yes to babysitting for a couple hours, despite the fact that I’d do anything for them and always have. People are very self centered these days and it’s nearly impossible to find good friends.

8141JT

Posted at 9:39 PM on May 29, 2012

I’ll bet Janelle would willingly give up her sexy time with Kody. She was probably thrilled to have a new sister wife. More wives, fewer “dates.”

aimee

Posted at 1:26 PM on May 29, 2012

well said!

tired 66

Posted at 9:19 AM on May 29, 2012

Kody is self absorbed narsissistic personality.It is all about his needs.These woman are not proud of themselves and have low self esteem to count on a pat on the butt from Kody when he feels like it.I bet they try to outdo each other in bed and he just lays back for his daughters to see and his sons to grow up to be like him will be a shame.How desparate these woman are,willing to share him.UGH!!!

One of two

Posted at 12:44 PM on May 29, 2012

As a sister wife myself I can tell you that you cannot have low self esteem and have a successful plural marriage. It will simply. It work.

One of two

Posted at 12:49 PM on May 29, 2012

Darn auto correct. That would read it simply won’t work

LiveAndLetLive

Posted at 6:37 PM on December 20, 2012

Kody would keep Jannelle if he could only have one wife.
He is happiest around her, she is his true partner sharing the stress of supporting the wives, she has provided him ample pliglets.
She easily rises above the pettiness the other cows partake in.

Robyn would be second choice then Meri then Christine.

I feel the wives know this and it is interesting how their behavior reflects that order.

Janelle for partnership and financial support and Robyn for bootie calls.

Christine’s meanness and drama making, is the worse, as big as she is she had the audacity to critique Robyn’s figure.
Maybe Christine forgot Kody told the entire world he was not attracted to Her, she made him feel sick watching her eat on their first date.

Robyn is Kodys midlife crisis wife, her appearance is her number one quality to Kody. Anything different he tries to say is pure BS.

Meri is just the first wife who fools herself into thinking it is her and Kody Then the others. Sorry Hun, that’s Janelles position.
Meri is a resource hog and according to the religious beliefs they claim justify Kodys gluttony she is the least valuable.

Christine is always upset and unpleasant and too fat so Meri remains above her for that reason and nostalgia.

Bruce

Posted at 3:52 PM on May 29, 2012

That whole self absorbed thing was very plain to see when they made the move to Vegas. Everyone basically had to take only the bare minimum, and yet, by God, Kody’s motorcycle was there in the drive early on in the move.

kimberly

Posted at 1:06 AM on May 29, 2012

I didn’t **THINK** anything would rock that boat but it’s still hard even two and a half years after Robyn came into this marriage.”

pam brasher

Posted at 8:21 PM on May 28, 2012

These people are just crazy!!!!

msthing

Posted at 6:30 PM on December 9, 2012

They are crazy! Just trying to sugar coat life like we are stupid NOT! Just making money on this silly show.They say you will do any thing for money.

Aleah

Posted at 5:12 PM on May 28, 2012

This is SICK, SICK, SICK. *Puke*

Anna Karen

Posted at 1:18 AM on July 10, 2012

They aren’t hurting anyone and I think they are good people. I think the teens are kind of unhappy, though. I’d settle for Cody as a dad compared to my deadbeat one any day. These kids have a lot more than a lot of American kids do!

LiveAndLetLive

Posted at 6:40 PM on December 20, 2012

Robyn is hurting her three kids. How awful to be tossed into such a socially unacceptable lifestyle at 10 years old, forced to call Kody ‘daddy’ but worse the 17 other kids bully them and will never treat them differently then unrelated outsiders.