'Game Of Thrones': The Battle Is Over — Is [Spoiler] Dead?

Mon, May 28, 2012 10:33am EDT by 12 Comments

War is here! Find out who lived, who died, and who turned their back on the king.

A funny thing happens when you’re faced with your own mortality: You finally show your true colors. That’s exactly what we saw on Game of Thrones‘ May 27 episode when the Battle of Blackwater finally arrived in our living rooms. Even quick-witted Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) was at a loss for words as the very real prospect of his death, because like he said, “You can’t f**k your way out of everything.”

OK, battle time!

Stannis’ (Stephen Dillane) men thought they had the upper hand when their entire fleet of ships was met by only one from King’s Landing. Of course, what they didn’t see was the wildfire pouring from the ship to the waters below, and all it took was one flaming arrow to ignite the ships in a haunting green blaze. It was, without exaggeration, the coolest scene this show has delivered since the birth of Daenerys’ (Emilia Clarke) wee dragon babies.

Once again, some of my favorite scenes this week were between Sansa (Sophie Turner) and Cersei (Lena Headey). While taking shelter from the coming onslaught, Cersei continued to impart her own brand of twisted wisdom on the young queen-to-be. She also kept referring to Sansa’s period as her “red flower,” which was pretty gross.

Though I would have loved to have seen him killed, it came as no surprise to me that Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) took the earliest opportunity to disappear from the battle and go into hiding. But what did surprise me was that the Hound (Sandor Clegane) was the first one to turn tail — sorry, I have to get these puns in there somewhere — and run. In fact, I believe his exact words were, “F**k the King’s Guard, f**k the city, and f**k the king.” (Dear HBO, can I get that last one printed on a T-shirt? Pretty please?)

This left Tyrion alone to lead the attack, which he did, though it may have come at the ultimate price. The last time was saw him, he was bleeding from the face and losing consciousness, and his absence from next week’s previews has me kind of worried. (Keep in mind: I haven’t read the books). After all, wasn’t it this same time last year we lost Ned (Sean Bean)? No one thought that would really happen, either.

But just when it seemed all hope was lost for the Lannisters — even Cersei was ready to kill her own son to keep him “safe” — Tywin (Charles Dance) approached the throne with a surprise message: they won!

What’s your review of this major episode? Do you think it’s possible Tyrion is really dead? Did anyone’s behavior in battle change the way you feel about them? And how excited are you to see Daenerys finally enter the House of the Undying next week?! We’re just days away from the season finale, so drop your final thoughts and theories in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

Eric

Posted at 4:38 PM on June 12, 2012

Here I am 2 weeks after the season finale and I still cannot find the answer to a simple question:

HOW DID STANNUS ESCAPE THE BATTLE???

Last I remember, he was on top of the castle wall and that was it.

Rasheed Johnson

Posted at 9:07 AM on June 1, 2012

Hi guys. This will be my first time posting anything on the internet. The only reason why im doing this is because that episode was great… Im also a huge fan, getting the books next month, and Sandor and Tyrion are my favourites aswell.

Suck on this

Posted at 6:44 AM on May 31, 2012

By the end of the series of book five
Robb stark
Catelynn stark
Tywin lannister
Jofferry baratheon
Obereon martell
The lord of bones
Rickard karstark
The mountain
The hound
Ser arys oakheart of the kingsguard
Grand maester pycelle
Kevin lannister
And jon snow all die

Lindsay

Posted at 7:17 PM on May 28, 2012

No he doesn’t if people read books anymore they would know..

Rio

Posted at 10:12 PM on May 28, 2012

Are you an idiot? you’re not supposed to spoil it for non-readers, we all know what happens that doesn’t mean you should go around telling other people that don’t read the books what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a f*cking looser

Little Bunny

Posted at 1:47 PM on May 29, 2012

Reading is not a guarantee for good grammar. Plus a moron for spoiling the plot.

Flipper

Posted at 6:23 PM on May 28, 2012

I cant believe that no one commented on who tried to kill him it was one of the kings guard

Rio

Posted at 6:35 PM on May 28, 2012

yes, it was pretty obvious Cersei wanted him dead, so he asked someone in the kingsguard to kill him if he survived stannis’ men

Magnus

Posted at 2:03 PM on May 28, 2012

I want Tyrion as king! He’s the coolest smartest character in the whole series! He’s also the most well developed three dimensional character, too. You have to admit, a wise dwarf-king is a cool idea.

Rio

Posted at 12:15 PM on May 28, 2012

this was the best episode that ever existed on the history of television, that’s all i’m going to say..

I can’t really understand why you would be surprised sandor left, through the episode you could see sandor’s reaction to the whole fiery thing and he was having none of it!! it was pretty understandable that he would leave the battle.. I mean Sandor is the bravest when it comes to killing SOMEONE, but fire? you cant kill fire.. specially if it’s wildfire.. the poor thing was terrified!!

oh and pretty please I want the Sandor F*CK everything tee too!!!! hahahaah

pam

Posted at 7:33 PM on May 28, 2012

Yeah, Sandor is cool, Sandor and Tyrion are my faves

yvettelynne

Posted at 4:24 PM on May 30, 2012

they are my favorites too