Queen Latifah Comes Out As A Lesbian

Thu, May 24, 2012 6:21pm EDT by 197 Comments 35,700 Article Views
Queen Latifah Gay

After years of keeping her sexual identity behind closed doors, Queen Latifah admitted the LGBT people are her ‘peeps’ during a show at the 2012 Long Beach Pride.

Queen Latifah‘s latest show must have been quite liberating for her. At the 2012 Long Beach Pride event in California last weekend, the 42-year-old award-winning singer, rapper and actress officially came out as gay.

“Y’all my peeps (people),” she said, referring to the LGBT community. “I love you!”

The Queen performed to a crowd of about 1,000 people for more than an hour, telling them to “keep your support system tight” and also warning about keeping safe from STDs.

“Thank you to all my favorite peep guests who came out to support me. I appreciate it. I love you so much. Hope you had a beautiful time,” she said. “Y’all be safe whatever y’all get into tonight. Boys –- strap it up. Ladies –- strap it up.”

We applaud the Queen with her decision to come out. Are you surprised by her announcement?

Loading video...

More Gay Celebrities Coming Out Of The ‘Closet':

1. Jim Parsons Reveals: I’m Gay
  2. Tom Gabel Of Against Me! Comes Out As A Transgender
  3. Matt Bomer Is Gay: ‘White Collar’ Actor Comes Out At Awards Ceremony

Sydney

Posted at 10:38 PM on August 12, 2012

OMG… I can’t believe she is she too pretty

rayray

Posted at 3:35 PM on July 31, 2012

i never heard her say she was or was not gay.

kelolo

Posted at 8:27 PM on August 2, 2012

is this mindless behavior ray ray

denise yancey

Posted at 9:26 PM on July 30, 2012

you still my girl gay or not, i hope on single ladies you let kiesha and malcom get back together, like hitting and missing, never getting married right off to each other, but almost at the end of your show let them. they go well with each other. please dont let him marry the snobby girl, not a good match, keep her around too keep a little competition going, its cool when there is drama, no violence. lol lol. keep this show going girl. everyone i know is watching this. its like a mini soap opera, that i hope never ends..

justme50a

Posted at 7:04 PM on July 11, 2012

So what if she is gay or not, thats none of our business.

smackz

Posted at 1:47 PM on July 11, 2012

im just founding out that shes gay i never new that oh will she just like me liveing the gay life

harry the leper

Posted at 7:33 AM on July 6, 2012

she’s not gay you idiots.

Lyajoy

Posted at 8:13 PM on July 4, 2012

I thought she came out a long time ago.

Geraldine

Posted at 4:35 PM on July 4, 2012

She says nothng abt being gay…gosh what is wrong with yu people???MIND YUR OWN BINESS….

Heilige Bimbam

Posted at 4:43 PM on June 28, 2012

Latifah has responded to this report. She clearly states that her remarks were meant as support for the gay community, nothing more.She also quite clearly says she will never talk about her sex life to the press.I don’t see how her statement of support could be misconstrued as admission of her being gay. Give it a rest!

denise yancey

Posted at 9:28 PM on July 30, 2012

amen people dont think outside the box duhhhhhhhhhhhh lol

lovely40

Posted at 10:48 PM on June 22, 2012

I think that she was being supportive and her statement was misinterpreted. I just want to say to Queen Latifah is keep on being the phenomenon woman that you are.

say whaaat

Posted at 10:56 AM on June 22, 2012

This is just an example of poor reporting. Where in her statement, did she actually say “I’m gay”? I’m a little disappointed in you Hollywood life for wasting time writing an article that isn’t factual but based on your own conclusion of what you think she meant by “my peeps”. Which you know is just slang for someone I’m cool with and accept. Which I think is all she was saying. Get a life and try reporting actual news next time.

kwame safo

Posted at 11:59 AM on June 19, 2012

hi yov are a queen

Darnell

Posted at 1:23 PM on June 13, 2012

You stay blessed and I love the way you act you are a beautiful woman no matter what you belong to God first

Akinlaja felix shina

Posted at 5:52 PM on June 12, 2012

I have always take u as my best actres ma’am n stil i’l always do pls keep it up.we love u queen latifah. U can contact me on +2347069730917 or +2348097369108.thank u ma’am n d name is Akinlaja Felix Shina

Listen to Music

Posted at 4:46 AM on June 11, 2012

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve take note your stuff prior to and you are just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you’ve got here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to learn much more from you. That is really a terrific web site.

Cooperboy

Posted at 12:46 AM on June 6, 2012

I’m still trying to find in the article where Latifah says that she’s gay! To say that the LGBT are her peeps (people) to me, is NOT a statement of ‘I AM GAY’! Except I’m missing something here or the article omitted or neglected to include her ‘direct/exact gay statement!’
if she is, coming out is still a “Boo Boo!” and a shameful, disgusting and perverted lifestyle of choice. Period!
If you’re male outside and feel ‘femalish’ inside, and vice versa, the test is much simpler than most ppl make it out to be.

Take a look in a full body-size mirror, in your ‘b-day suit’, if it swings and ýou have ‘PMS’ or ‘AMS’, then you’re ‘HE’, ‘HIM’ MALE!
If it doesn’t swing and ýou HAVE PMS or AMS every 28dys or thereabouts, then ýou’re ‘HER’, ‘SHE’ FEMALE!
And for those who say they were born that way, please locate the scientist who’ll go on RECORD and say the Scientific Community has Scientifically isolated a ‘gene’ that is responsible for ýou being gay, lesbian, homosexual, transgender or whatever! I won’t ‘hold my breath’ while ýou seek to locate, if only ONE (1) scientist!
In the interim, if you’re still confused regarding your ‘sexual orientation’, what did the attending Physician or midwife wrote in the space that’s provided on your birth certificate for the insertion of SEX?
That should clear that part up if you’re banking on ‘sexual orientation’ as your ‘pacifier’ for personal comfort and conscience. When ýou popped out of the womb into the world for the very first, (original) time, your Mother, Father, Physician, Midwife etc in that delivery room, can all testify unanimously, that they all, without exception, saw your distinguishing sexual organs and beyond ALL reasonable doubts, can attest that ýou are what ýou were at your 1st Welcome into the world Orientation. Ýou brought your sexual organs on your body to this orientation and none of your sexual parts were delivered after this orientation.
By the way all ýou LGBT ‘peeps’ , who are sticker for saying, ýou are ‘Birthers’! Please tell me, what does a gay baby looks like? Apparently Doctors DO NOT KNOW!

Mercedes

Posted at 3:21 PM on June 1, 2012

Yaaaaaay….a new outcomer on the team….#proudlesbian

jnr

Posted at 9:36 PM on May 31, 2012

She never said she was gay. She is just supportive of them. Don’t read into it.

Bunny

Posted at 10:50 AM on June 5, 2012

You can find romatic pictures of her with her long time girlfriend and trainer, Jeanette Jenkins. She also looks in love as she frolicks with Eboni Nichols on the beach. She has lesbian girlfriends, but you are correct, she will not say it. Pictures tell 1000 words, however.

Deanna P.

Posted at 11:41 AM on May 31, 2012

As much as I would like to have the Queen in my camp, I think she was showing support, not making a personal statement. I have straight friends that are “my peeps”, but I am not indicating that I am straight by making the comment. Are we really resorting to such shallowness and reading into things in order to feel more validated by adding a star to our community?

Malata

Posted at 9:17 AM on May 30, 2012

Where exactly in her statements does she say she’s gay?

Ogre

Posted at 7:21 AM on May 30, 2012

Ya’ll sure you’re not reading something into this… not really a definitive “coming out” in my books. Not that it really matters one way or another…but showing SUPPORT FOR the gay community (which is what I see here) is not becoming one with the gay community. Based on what I’ve read so far, I’ve seen nothing that clearly indicates that Queen identifies as gay. Heck, I support the gay community and have said much the same sentiment that Queen said here, but I’m the straightest guy I know.

chillychill

Posted at 4:18 PM on May 29, 2012

She does not have the Cover Girl look, maybe she should take a picture for Mechanics or Field and Stream

Susieluvsmales

Posted at 4:08 PM on May 29, 2012

Where is your King, Queen

Mandee

Posted at 5:00 AM on May 28, 2012

Im not surprised really. I’m happy for her that she can finally do what she want & live in the open how she honestly is inside.

scramz

Posted at 11:24 PM on May 27, 2012

Umm, since when is saying “y’all my peeps” a coming out statement?!!? Oh how the media twist & distort a story & its true meaning…smh

Razaaaae

Posted at 11:56 AM on May 28, 2012

I thought the same thing! =/

honeydip1

Posted at 12:50 PM on May 28, 2012

Really. I do believe that she is doing it on the cool however, she has not come out of the closet at all. At least not publicly with her words. She has not said I am a lesbian or I am gay. What a truly distorted story.

sharecare

Posted at 3:25 PM on May 31, 2012

Ummmmm huh, she is somewhat suspect but I dont think she was making a coming out statement. If or when she does I really dont think her words would be so vague.

ROBERT

Posted at 9:55 AM on June 6, 2012

The Queen’s closet is half-open, but at What Cost?.

Evengne Sabina

Posted at 11:02 AM on August 10, 2012

I wish i can get Queen
mobile number,i always wish to meet her in person …Please someone to send her this message ,My Name is Sabina , this is my skype Evengne hope to hear from her thanks