'Pretty Little Liars' Season 3: Emily & Maya's Cousin Have A 'Connection'

Thu, May 24, 2012 3:38pm EDT by 42 Comments
Pretty Little Liars season 3

Shay Mitchell addresses all the rumors about what’s to come for Emily in season three, including several potential new love interest — both male and female!

Pretty Little Liars fans were devastated when Emily’s (Shay Mitchell) girlfriend Maya (Bianca Lawson) was found dead on the second season finale, and it looks like season three will tackle that mystery right away June 5 with the introduction of Maya’s cousin Nathan (Sterling Sulieman). “He’s a great character,” Shay told HollywoodLife.com and other reporters May 23 on the Rosewood set. “I think for Emily, in some way, [he's] a reminder of Maya, and it brings a closeness to her.”

“It really does help in that grief period because he understands kind of what she feels, too,” Shay added. “There’s a different kind of connection when it’s family or someone that you love in that sort of way.”

Though it will be hard, Shay said Emily will have to come to terms with Maya’s death this season.

“Emily will eventually have to move on,” Shay said. “That is life. It’s unfortunate, and yes, she is mourning the loss of Maya, as is everybody. But at the same time, I think it’s also important to show that life does go on. So they have to understand that as well, but Maya is definitely a very special character.”

But before you freak out too much, Shay clarified that “as far as right now is concerned,” there are no plans for Emily to dip her toe back into the man pool in season three. Despite misleading photos fans may think they saw online, Emily is not bisexual.

So does that mean Emily will leap into the waiting arms of ex-girlfriend Paige (Lindsey Shaw)? Not so fast!

“Emily isn’t really wanting to jump right back into that whole dating thing again,” Shay revealed. “She and Paige had something before and they were dating for a little bit, but she’s lost her girlfriend, so what I think she needs is just emotional support from a friend more so than from a girlfriend.”

How do you feel about Maya’s death? Are you still hoping that, somehow, she’ll turn out to be alive? If not, who do you think killed her? Drop a comment with your thoughts and theories!

— Andy Swift

Reporting by Russ Weakland

Jhee

Posted at 2:58 PM on August 28, 2012

Maya is dead! So let Emily move on. If someone die in this show ,weather its the main character or guess. Accept it this is a TV show that has full of mystery. Some got hurt, some missing,and some die. Face it that’s the rule they have to follow and act as a character of the show. If the production or producer do such a story it’s the writer or it’s the story it’s all about. Guess come and go to this show they can go for some Ep. Not like the main character of the show. Maya character is one of the guess. She’s not the main character to be stay in show.(sorry to say that) And Bianca Lawson has other show and she’s one of the main character. And plus Maya’s character pretty misery And she’s in to this bad habit (doing drugs)influence Emily to join or use it too. And I don’t know she might be part of A team too. I like Paige.I don’t know right now if she’s part of A team ( I wish not) until I show the finally tonight.Well for me Paige is better for Emily rather than Nate or Samara. Nate is kinda creepy guy and too aggressive and looks like he can’t take no for an answer and his kinda like easy fightback to girls if they turn him down.Samara,well she kinda double cheater. How can you dare flirt to Emily and giving her sweet kisses & cakes and suddenly “BOM” she bring her on and off so called GF and let Emily show their affiction to Emily.Paige, she kinda boldly person. Which Emily kinda like to one person. And Paige love Emily and admire her for so long. And she’s too protective to Emily not to get hurt. Yes she hurt Emily once at the pool but that is her past cause that’s how Alison made her. Being a fighter and tough. Cause the way Alison bully her and played her feeling towards Emily before. So for me I like Paige for Emily. Paige love to Emily is true and pure.And that’s what Paige wanted to show it Emily.As her character. I just hoping she’s not one of A team cause that will miss up the perfect love to what they have now. Cause Emily is happy now to Paige and Paige is happy now for Emily for such a long time wanted and being in love with her.

bobby

Posted at 3:18 PM on August 18, 2012

Apparently shay lied when she said emily wasn’t ready to date again because now she is in a relationship with crazy paige who I will never like I wanted emily to find somebody new and less crazy.

sandrah

Posted at 8:18 AM on August 16, 2012

maya’s death was unclear and not enough evidence 2 support her death,so i believe A has her

patito

Posted at 5:15 PM on July 9, 2012

En mi opinion prefiero Emily Paige por lo que sabemos todos tienen mucha coneccion y eso se ve por ambas partes yo soy del equipo Paige Emily y me encanta PLL

Kris

Posted at 4:37 PM on July 8, 2012

I hate that, I really hope Emily will never ever move on, she knows Mayas still alive. Emaya RULES!

alice

Posted at 3:08 PM on August 8, 2012

Maya is the best girlfriends 4 emily I always love the way they laugh and smile at the same time 4 me I want her back 2 everything they say! Maya its wanna miss her soo much I’m sorry I just don’t like paige they don’t have any comment beside she up 2something.I am a big fans of emaya please bring her back.so em can be happy again with maya not with alison, ben or samara or even nate ooh! And that damn paige.

Hi

Posted at 12:49 AM on July 6, 2012

Why can’t Emily be with Hanna D:

kriswatson

Posted at 12:40 AM on July 9, 2012

Foreal y cant they happenn it be like hanna will be emilys new maya and emily will be hanna new caleb hope they date

Dj

Posted at 12:25 AM on August 15, 2012

no theres no one but Maya for Emily. plz bring her back

Saudia

Posted at 3:11 AM on June 30, 2012

I think they should have made Mya missing and not dead. I thought she and Emily was a great match, and I would love to see Mya again. Even if it’s just a flashback or something.

January

Posted at 3:03 PM on June 28, 2012

I wonder if Marleen King thinks that gay relationships has so many obstacles then just don’t work out,she went too far by killing off Maya,the shows a bore now

Brittany

Posted at 9:08 PM on June 26, 2012

I never liked Maya. But I want Emily’s relationship to be more explicit and more affectionate, everybody else has fun relationships Emilys girlfriends are weird

PPL Lover267

Posted at 4:45 PM on June 22, 2012

I do hope Maya comes back somehow-cause it sucks she’s dead and she was a good character.
If she really is dead, then I hope Emily can get some peace of mind and move on somehow, guy or girl, it’d be cool to see her date again.

Cydney

Posted at 2:08 PM on June 20, 2012

I really hope Maya isn’t actually dead. She was awesome and her and Emily were so cute together! I’m not really sure who could have killed Maya (if she really is dead). But I do have my suspicions about Lucas. Something has really been up with him lately and I’m positive he didn’t just go see Maya because he thinks she’s “faking”. I love this show, and I’m excited to see more of it! >3

finland

Posted at 8:47 AM on June 20, 2012

i really wish maya could come back at some point. emily and maya were just such a cute couple! hope seeing maya on the show in the future even though i dont think she will come back. but theres always some hope :)

Roman Zolanski

Posted at 8:58 PM on June 16, 2012

I think for every one who loved Emily and Maya,it was completely Terrible when we found out Maya was dead. Paige is cool and every thing but, I think it would probably be awesome if Samara came back. Hopefully Emily doesn’t go back to liking Guys.

crude oil futures prices

Posted at 8:12 AM on June 15, 2012

Very great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I have truly loved surfing around your weblog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I’m hoping you write again very soon!

Najade

Posted at 12:56 PM on June 10, 2012

I don’t care how they will fix this but Maya needs to return to PLL. I know its a good shocker and she may not be all that but she brings a certain mystery to this. Why did she have to go?

Kyra

Posted at 9:47 PM on June 4, 2012

You guys need to start accepting the fact that Maya is dead. I saw a sneak too, and the girls know it is Maya. Plus, Bianca Lawson’s dad confirmed that she isn’t returning because she got a role on another show (forget which one though) because he congratulated her on twitter (I think it was Twitter…pretty sure).
And to be honest, (please don’t hate on me, I’m only stating my opinion and I respect yours) Maya was kind of a shady character who was setting a bad example. Sure, she had “nice” moments, but I don’t see her as VERY beloved. I mean, she was plenty secretive and broke Emily’s trust multiple times. But I guess that’s how life works, huh? You just keep going back to what’s/who’s bad for you, because you feel like it’s/they’re part of you.
Now, of coarse I feel bad that she was MURDERED and no one deserves that. But I’m definitely waiting to see the effect it has on Emily, but it’s not like Maya was THE favorite on the show. I guess what I’m getting at is that I won’t really miss her.

Lilmonsterxoxox

Posted at 9:24 PM on August 14, 2012

It’s like the song Judas by Lady Gaga. But Maya and Emily were the favorite couple and she was perfect as one of the Liars.

Courtney

Posted at 10:36 PM on June 2, 2012

Seriously ppl, maya is dead now get over it!! Marlene king said she didnt want to do it but.it made a very.good shocker a the end. Now for.season 3 its.a.whole new mystery. Finding out who is the A Team and who killed maya. She is dead but we will be seeing her so tht does still counts. I honestly was sooooo mad when I found out she died. I was goin to stop watchin the show. So serious. But then agan it is a show and its.not real. Bianca lawson who plays maya is probably doing something else ao her character had.to die. Like shay said we have.to.move.on like she.evenually will.

Shantasia

Posted at 11:59 PM on May 28, 2012

It’s sad that maya might be dead but we don’t know for sure. I’m just anxious to get all the info behind it.

bobby

Posted at 6:32 PM on May 27, 2012

I just got to say this I hate marlene king for killing off maya I thought that when maya came back in season 2 they were going to get back together and stay together but since I think that marlene king hate the maya charcter she killed her off and made all the other couples have an happy ending..and if crazy paige try and kiss emily again I will be piss she needs to go..finally I got that all out.

Trey trey

Posted at 3:12 AM on May 25, 2012

I just lost interest in PLL cuz Maya was my it girl….

DJ

Posted at 8:37 PM on May 24, 2012

Honestly I’m still think that Maya is still alive because Pam said “they think it’s maya” key word it “think”….lets wait and see for season three.

uche

Posted at 12:53 PM on June 5, 2012

true, dey said dey tink it is MAYA

Shannon

Posted at 7:12 PM on May 24, 2012

That’s kind of really obvious… I mean CLEARLY her and her (ex)girlfriend’s cousin are going to connect because of Maya’s death… It doesn’t take a genius to figure that out.

Dylan

Posted at 4:51 PM on May 24, 2012

We all just want Maya back alive…We pray for some kind of miracle!! we are keep faith and hope even tho it’s sooo hard.

Christie

Posted at 4:28 PM on May 24, 2012

Maya is STILL ALIVE Shay doesn’t care about Emayans at all!

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:35 PM on May 24, 2012

Whoa, that’s not fair. Shay loves all her fans.

Kiki

Posted at 4:53 PM on May 24, 2012

Shay love all her fans. she recently said in a ustream that she love emayans and she think we are awesome

Christie

Posted at 4:17 PM on May 24, 2012

Emily is gay NOT straight she is still in love with Maya always.

camil

Posted at 2:12 PM on June 28, 2012

just bring maya back daimn it…they were the best there is,,so alive..and oouuhhh..m just so emotional…they perfect for each other..pplzzz writes of PLL bring her backkkkk