Jim Parsons Reveals: I'm Gay

Wed, May 23, 2012 3:23pm EDT by 156 Comments
Jim Parsons Gay

Jim Parsons uses a ‘New York Times’ profile to publicly admit he’s gay. Are you surprised by the revelation?

In a profile on the award-winning actor in the New York Times, Jim Parsons reveals that he is gay and in a 10-year relationship.

The 39-year-old funny man, who has starred as uber-nerd Sheldon Cooper on the hit CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory for the past five seasons, discussed his work on Broadway in last year’s The Normal Heart, playing a young gay activist.

The Times’ Patrick Healy writes, “The Normal Heart resonated with him on a few levels: Mr. Parsons is gay and in a 10-year relationship…”

We applaud Jim’s decision to be open with his fans.

But how about you? Are you surprised by Jim’s coming out?

Written by Billy Nilles

betha

Posted at 12:20 AM on June 4, 2012

i’m not sad because i hate gay, i’m sad because i lost my chance :(

Jim benet

Posted at 6:38 PM on May 29, 2012

“Breaking News” YAWN!

Red

Posted at 5:01 PM on May 29, 2012

Jim Parsons is a great actor, his role as Sheldon is a hoot!
Best of luck & happiness to you & your partner. Hope to see you guys out together more.
Red

di

Posted at 4:17 PM on May 29, 2012

and i care about his sex life WHY???

minime

Posted at 12:28 PM on May 30, 2012

THANK YOU!!! from the bottom of my heart

Dusty

Posted at 4:04 PM on May 29, 2012

What difference does it make as long as he and his partner are happy –lifes to short not to be happy–The Big Bang Theory and all it;s actors Rock!! It has nothing to do with who or what they are!!!!!!!

Donna

Posted at 3:12 PM on May 29, 2012

What does this have to do with The Big Bang and Jim’s ability to become the character ” Dr Sheldon Cooper”. ????Laughter is contagious, last I heard homosexuality is not. Rock on Big Bang Cast and Crew…love you all, love your show.

jjvc527

Posted at 3:06 PM on May 29, 2012

now if he wasn’t gay…that would be a shocker…i guesshe’s not grerat an actor…ie rock hudson.

Mike Garrett

Posted at 2:46 PM on May 29, 2012

Homosexuality is a choice.

Reena Buchanan

Posted at 12:42 PM on May 29, 2012

I L ove you Jim…Please keep us all laughing. I mourned the death of Bernie Mack, because I felt the world became such a sad place when we lost the laughter he gave us and then I discovered Big Bang Theory. You and your costars are great and I wouldn’t miss a day of laughter that you give us..

marla hice

Posted at 12:57 PM on May 29, 2012

agreed! I do love The big Bang theory! It is fun to watch!

marla hice

Posted at 12:41 PM on May 29, 2012

I am an advocate for the Bible…However the meaning of The English word “Hell” is miss applied. The Hebrew word for Hell is Sheol. The Greeks word for Hell is Hades. Both words mean- ” The common (Grave) of mankind. The English translation for the Sheol and Hades Is “HELL”. If Hades and Sheol mean “The Grave”…. Then the English wprd “Hell” means -THE GRAVE! So when we all die we all go to HELL-the grave. The fire and brimstone of the Bible is symbolic not literal. Plus if God is a loving God then he would not burn people forever. If your own child disobeys you, would you put there hand over a candle and burn them? Of course not! Our loving Heavenly Father is the same way. The idea of burning forever comes from Greek mythology. Modern Christianity Has adopted a lot of traditions From Greek mythology. The 4th century Christians never practiced what the so called Christians practice today. Constantly telling ones they are going to Hell is not a true Christian trait. Paul used the power of persuation not condemnation.

marla hice

Posted at 12:54 PM on May 29, 2012

ooops! Sorry for the typos!

Winston

Posted at 12:13 PM on May 29, 2012

I was more surprised that he was 39 years old!

Kathy

Posted at 9:42 PM on May 29, 2012

Ditto. LOL! It was apparent in his behavior. I am not suprised either.

Hollie

Posted at 12:02 PM on May 29, 2012

good for him. It takes a lot of courage! I wil continue to watch the show….BAZINGA!

JJoan

Posted at 10:28 AM on May 29, 2012

Well, DUH! NOT A SURPRISE!

melinda

Posted at 11:07 AM on May 29, 2012

Not at all surprised I probably would have known it before he did

jake jacobsen

Posted at 9:46 AM on May 29, 2012

what choice did he have…really

Pam

Posted at 9:36 AM on May 29, 2012

I am not glad he told the world because I don’t care. Only people with an more time on there hands then they need to have want to know what someone is doing in the bedroom.
I am so tired of hearing gay or straight. I think we hear more than we need to know about peoples lives. Thier sexual preferance has nothing to do with their abilities. They don’t need to let the world know just the people that matter to them.

jessica

Posted at 11:36 AM on May 29, 2012

yet you cared enough to read the article and respond to it.

Fay Calhoun

Posted at 9:15 AM on May 29, 2012

Well, he looks gay. No need to ‘out’.

jg

Posted at 9:09 AM on May 29, 2012

Not surprised at all. Surprised we still live in a society where this is an issue. And for all you religious freaks..shut up already. If God is the judge, let him do it. An all powerful God shouldn’t need your help.

Jay j

Posted at 7:27 AM on May 29, 2012

Sodom & gomorah will b bold to judge this generatn

Beverley

Posted at 6:23 AM on May 29, 2012

What difference does it make to be quite honest. Teh man is a brilliant actor and has been with the same person for 10 years. That’s more than many straight relationships. I say leave him along and let him be himself.

Turtle

Posted at 3:15 AM on May 29, 2012

Shocker!!

Les Moore

Posted at 3:08 AM on May 29, 2012

HAHA…and everyone was surprised? LoL
Hey…Im thinking of coming out too…should I announce it to the press first or family first? I just cant keep this hidden any longer…it’s killing me inside…I have to come out and tell everyone Im straight.

Susie

Posted at 9:47 AM on May 29, 2012

LOL.

marla hice

Posted at 12:17 PM on May 29, 2012

Agreed…. Why is it soo important to make sure the world knows about same sex couples sex lives? Yet straight people aren’t constantly going on and on about their sex lives. Enough already.

marla hice

Posted at 12:18 PM on May 29, 2012

Agreed!!

Tonya

Posted at 1:41 AM on May 29, 2012

I am surprise Big bang theory is the show! hey, if he happy then i’m happy for the him& his boyfriend.I thought he was single.That’s not going to stop loving him for who is is going with. Still going to watch him no matter what.

Mamabear

Posted at 1:24 AM on May 29, 2012

No, I wouldn’t say it was OBVIOUS, but I have many friends who are more recognizable as being gay than Mr. Parsons.

I think it’s wonderful that he feels supported and loved and secure in the place where he finds himself in life, enough, that coming out is a viable option. Congratulations on your 10-year relationship, as well!
Finding out about this is the perfect end to my day. <3

jabo

Posted at 11:54 PM on May 28, 2012

Was their ever any doubt? One look at him tells he is gay.

Woody

Posted at 11:45 PM on May 28, 2012

I bet when he eats mcdonalds he needs no lubrication for the nuptuals

mg

Posted at 9:50 AM on May 29, 2012

It is is refreshing to know that in this day and age people are no longer afraid to come out as gay. Although it is still ashame that people still judge you if you are.As you can see the stars that have come out ultimately are successful.Thank you Ellen for your courage to give otjers courage.And as just an average joanne, I also am gay!!!!!