'Glee' Recap: Did Rachel & Finn Stay Together After Graduation?

Wed, May 23, 2012 12:53am EDT by 39 Comments
Glee Finale Season 3

The time has come, Gleeks! In the tear-jerking season finale, the New Directions’ seniors graced the stage one final time — as graduates! Find out who’s moving to New York City… and who isn’t.

On the May 22 season finale of Glee, the New Directions prepared to take the next step, as the graduates looked back on their time at McKinley High and said their final goodbyes.

The episode opened with Will (Matthew Morrison) giving the New Directions their final assignment of the year: find a way to say goodbye to one another.

‘Glee’ Finale Recap — More Sad Goodbyes End Season 3

In the first of many scenes to bring me to tears tonight, Burt (Mike O’Malley) surprised Kurt (Chris Colfer) in the auditorium by performing Beyonce’s “Single Ladies” with Tina (Tina Ushkowitz) and Brittany (Heather Morris). The father-son duo have come such a long way since Kurt came out of the closet after Burt walked in on him dancing to that very song back in season one!

A little later, Blaine (Darren Criss) insisted he and Kurt finally have the talk – were they or weren’t they going to break up after graduation? Kurt insisted on staying together and promised Blaine he would never say goodbye to him. Kurt envisioned them ending up like the characters in The Notebook, only happy and still together — and watching a retrospective on J. Lo, of course.

Back in the choir room, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house when Kurt got up and dedicated Madonna’s “I’ll Remember” to all the guys for seeing past his sexuality and being his friend. I have to give kudos to Chris Colfer for knocking yet another solo performance out of the park this season.

Meanwhile, when Santana (Naya Rivera) learned Mercedes (Amber Riley) had signed a recording contract and was moving to Hollywood after graduation, she began doubting her decision to go to college. With Brittany redoing her senior year at McKinley, Santana decided to stay in Lima, but she reconsidered after her mother (guest star Gloria Estefan) pleaded with her to continue with her education. But in the end, Mrs. Lopez encouraged her daughter to follow her heart and move to New York.

Elsewhere, things were finally beginning to look up for Finn (Cory Monteith), who had decided he wanted to study acting at the Actors Studio in New York. But despite finding happiness and no longer fearing the future, Finn couldn’t help feeling something was missing. He explained to his mom he wanted to seek redemption for his father’s dishonorable discharge.

All the while, Quinn (Dianna Agron) — having won Nationals and gotten into the college of her dreams — decided to spend her final days at McKinley giving back. Wanting to help Puck graduate, Quinn gave him the kick in the pants – or kiss on the lips, rather – he needed to remind him what he was capable of. Puck retook the test and passed. Later on, I got all misty-eyed when Quinn shared a final heartfelt moment with Sue (Jane Lynch), who displayed her softer side by telling Quinn how proud she was of her.

Finally, when Rachel (Lea Michele), Finn and Kurt met in the choir room to open their acceptance letters, they found out only Rachel had been accepted. I wasn’t expecting good news for everyone, but I was shocked — and majorly disappointed — Kurt was rejected from NYADA. Rachel decided to defer her acceptance and spend the year helping Finn and Kurt rework their applications, but Finn had other ideas. Finn drove Rachel to the train station, where he broke off their engagement and told her he loves her enough to set her free. He also told her he had enlisted in the Army. The New Directions had all gathered at the station to say goodbye to Rachel. Before a teary-eyed Rachel boarded the train to New York, she and Finn shared one last kiss.

What did you think of tonight’s season finale, HollywoodLifers? Were you heartbroken Rachel and Finn broke up? Were you disappointed Kurt didn’t get into NYADA? What are your hopes for season four? See you in the comments section!

– Josh Rosenblatt

ani

Posted at 9:41 PM on November 29, 2012

I rarely never cry during these emotional scenes…I cried like a baby with this one

Parry

Posted at 4:20 PM on September 18, 2012

I so really want finchel back together they have gone through so much to be together and now they just break up doesnt make sense they cud hav gotten married and then kept a long distance relationship for a few years till they finished up with college and then settled in nyc why did they have to break up it is so not fair they better get back together in season 4 or else i am not watching the show its just too heartbreaking to get over these things fast

izzy323

Posted at 12:56 AM on September 3, 2012

I cant believe Finn and Rachell went there seperate ways. So heartbreaking. I was crying. I dont understand,but they need to just get back together.

Emma

Posted at 3:20 AM on August 22, 2012

Why is everyone saying that Finchel broke up? It wasn’t mutual or anything, they both still love each other It was very selfless of Finn to let Rachel go, to live out her dream It was a display of true love I m really proud of him but yes I want them back together n how heartwrenching it was to see Kurt not getting into NYADA? I absolutely hated that. I don’t know how these long-distance relationships will work out Finchel, Brittana but I m hoping for the best next season

Elissa

Posted at 2:43 AM on July 1, 2012

I Balled my eyes out at the end. Even though im not a big fan of Rachel it was still very sad, I hope they get back together.

Carl

Posted at 8:17 PM on June 27, 2012

BUT WHAT’S HAPPENING TO KURT NOW?!? He so should of got in to NYADA!!!!

Chris

Posted at 1:53 AM on June 1, 2012

I am so happy to see so many think Finchel should stay together. But, does anyone think that Jesse will come back into the fold after vouching for Rachel to get into NYADA? As much as I would hate it I still think its a probability obviously for the drama. However, I would likely stop watching Glee.

Kehlsea

Posted at 9:27 PM on May 31, 2012

I think we all knew it was going to happen. Although I don’t really like how they did it, it had to happen… The part where Rachel was in the train and Finn was running after her until he couldn’t any more was so heartwrenching. And I agree with Matt. They did not ever clearly say, we are breaking up. And also, I might add that I think its stupid that Brittany is repeating her senior year.

Kehlsea

Posted at 9:35 PM on May 31, 2012

And also all the people saying that he should have went with her to New York, what about his life? Is he supposed to give up on all of his dreams so she can go out and fullfill hers. I’m sorry but I think this is the perfect ending. Also, people keep talking about them being on the fourth season. Are they really going to be on it? Cause I thought this was goodbye?

Matt

Posted at 4:29 PM on May 29, 2012

Okay…Obviously some people did not pay attention. No where in the conversation between Rachel and Finn was there an agreement to breakup.

Sarah

Posted at 3:02 PM on May 25, 2012

I was surprised and glad that Finn broke up with Rachel. Does that sound heartless? I was a fan of them together since the beginning, but I, like their parents and friends and everyone else, opposed the two of them getting hitched. And the way “Glee” handled the wedding and the two of them justifying it to those who opposed it, just told me it wasn’t going to happen. The two of them were both compromising what they wanted to be with the other, and it was making both of them miserable. Finn letting Rachel go off to NYADA was a sign of true, selfless love, and it was the best thing for both of them.

Anonymous

Posted at 5:17 PM on May 24, 2012

This was so sad, and it brought back some bad memories as well. This is nearly exactly how my last relationship ended except for the part where Finn still loves Rachel, that didn’t happen for me…Anyway, I wish that they’d bring Finn back to follow her to New York! Finchel just makes sense!

Rebecca

Posted at 1:56 AM on May 24, 2012

Technically Finn and Rachel are not broken up because she’s still wearing the engagement ring!!! I have faith in their relationship! Like they say “if you love something you set it free – if it comes back to you, then it was always yours to keep – if not, then maybe it just wasn’t meant to be”

Peter

Posted at 4:35 AM on August 24, 2012

I not right it wrong

Jessie

Posted at 11:29 PM on May 23, 2012

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It took Finchel forever to get started in the 1st place now it’s all over and just when they were about to get married. In season 4 Finchel better be together and getting married i’m loosing my paticents!

Ss

Posted at 6:31 PM on May 23, 2012

Dont think im going to watch this episode if Rachel and Finn break up because it is a complete change of story line, they were doing so well as a couple!!!!! Hoping to see more kurt season 4:)

dre

Posted at 6:41 PM on May 23, 2012

its really bull that they did but she never took her engagement ring off so that was surprizing to me because that got me thinking that while he is setting her free for or so years he will in the end get married to her. also glee made the mistake of breaking them up becuase they are going to lose the few viewers they have left. even if season is good its not good if there isnt a couple to look up to. VERY DISAPPOINTED GLEE!!!!! no finchel, no show.

Jessie

Posted at 11:32 PM on May 23, 2012

I so agree with you it doesnt even make sence. But then again i’m going to be watching season 4 just to see if they get back together because these Glee writters are getting better with their cliff hangers.

R

Posted at 2:05 PM on May 23, 2012

No offense but them getting married at 18 is ridiculous. And what was supposed to happen….she would stay in Lima with Finn?! What about her dreams of going to NYC. I knew he wouldn’t get into the Actors Studio.
I’m sorry but it was nice to have a dose of reality and maturity on this front.
Like Finn said…if they are meant to be together, then they will. You guys need to calm down! Geez!!

Posted at 2:52 AM on May 24, 2012

^This^

D

Posted at 10:13 PM on May 24, 2012

Agreed

JJ

Posted at 12:53 PM on May 23, 2012

I AM SO PISSED THAT THEY BROKE UP AGAIN! THEY WERE DOING SO WELL AND THEN RIB HAD TO BREAK THEM UP! THIS IS UNFAIR TO THE FINCHEL FANS WHO HAVE BEEN WAITING AGES 4 THEIR WEDDING! I HATED THIS FINALE SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THAT! THEY HAVE 2 GET BACK 2GETHER NEXT SEASON!

hey

Posted at 12:18 PM on May 23, 2012

It was soooooooooooooooooooo in that last finchel scene, I CRIED like a baby !

Rachel

Posted at 12:18 PM on May 23, 2012

Finnn has to go to NYC with Rachel !!!! This is not right !!!

Lea

Posted at 12:17 PM on May 23, 2012

I CRIED MY EYES OUT IN THAT LAST FINCHEL SCENE !!!!! FINCHEL FOREVER !!!!

go lea

Posted at 9:53 AM on May 23, 2012

Lea michele was beyond perfect this episode, she is such a talented actress

Emma

Posted at 7:54 AM on May 23, 2012

I think that Finn won’t find his father and he’ll go to NY after Rachel. I think the stuoid part was that we only know what happend between them, what about others?

dre

Posted at 6:46 PM on May 23, 2012

that is whats happening because there is no way in hell glee is putting finn into the army it wont fit into the season 4 format soo thats a wasted chance to get more viewers right there

Patricia

Posted at 5:25 AM on May 23, 2012

I really hated this episode! I can understand that Rachel goes alone to New York… But why did Finn breaken up with her? They are in love!
I hate this episode!! I hate this episode!! I hate this episode!!
I hope Finn will come to New York in season 4!
It’s really stupid to finisch the season so sadly!

Nicole

Posted at 5:59 AM on May 23, 2012

I agree, Patricia. I was thinking the exact same thing. Just because Rachel goes to college in New York City didn’t mean that Finn had to dump her. He could have stuck by her, got a job and went to school somewhere in New York City, too, if he really loved her. AWFUL SEASON FINALE.

dre

Posted at 6:49 PM on May 23, 2012

nuff said right there. NO FINCHEL NO SHOW. get it together glee!!!!

Gleek

Posted at 7:45 PM on June 28, 2012

So trie. I won’t watch it if theres no finchel

Gleek

Posted at 7:47 PM on June 28, 2012

Im not going to watch it if theres no Finchel. End of story. Im really pissed about that episode. They belong together. Im betting they will get back together.

I think that Finn did not enlist in the army. I already know that Finn is coming back to the fourth season. I know they would NOT film him in the army. Here are my guesses about why he said that. and if he did end up going to the army the reasons he came back.

1. He just told Rachel that so she wouldn’t follow him
2. He did enlist but didn’t qualify
3. He realized what his true dream was
4. He got accepted into a better college
5. He couldn’t live without Rachel
6. He took over Burt’s shop (doubtfully)

Im still thinking up other reasons.

Leann

Posted at 8:59 PM on May 23, 2012

Totally and completely agree with all the Finchel fans! They NEED to get back together, but I am looking forward to what will happen to them in season 4.

Britney

Posted at 3:53 AM on May 23, 2012

I hated the season finale episode of Glee. I still love Lea Michele though.

Cath Hasnon

Posted at 3:49 AM on May 23, 2012

omg wtf this is such a sad episode!! :'((((

Gleek

Posted at 7:44 PM on June 28, 2012

1. He just told Rachel that so she wouldn’t follow him
2. He did enlist but didn’t qualify
3. He realized what his true dream was
4. He got accepted into a better college
5. He couldn’t live without Rachel
6. He took over Burt’s shop (doubtfully)

Im still thinking up other reasons.

Sophie Foo