'Glee' Season Finale: Finn Made A Big Mistake With Rachel

Wed, May 23, 2012 3:05pm EDT by 31 Comments
Glee Season Finale

Warning: Stop reading if you don’t want to know what happened on the season finale of ‘Glee’!

It’s been 16 hours since Fox aired the third season finale of Glee, and I’m still not totally sure how I’m supposed to feel about the way things ended between Rachel (Lea Michele) and Finn (Cory Monteith). The episode was full of insanity — please don’t get me started on Mercedes’ (Amber Riley) recording contract — but the last 10 minutes, anchored by the demise of “Finchel,” are what all the Gleeks will be talking about for the rest of the summer.

For the past three years, Finn and Rachel have fought tooth-and-nail to keep their relationship and their dreams alive — so why did last night’s episode end with a crushing breakup? It certainly wasn’t Rachel’s choice, as she was willing to defer from school just so she and Finn could be together. But he wasn’t having any of that. “I’m sure you’re something special, that this is just the beginning for you,” he told her before throwing her onto a train to New York City. “But to get there, you have to have these experiences on your own.”

Viewers are used to seeing Rachel cry on a weekly basis — sometimes multiple times a week — but the tears she shed as Finn told her they needed to go their separate ways were heartbreaking. Saying goodbye to McKinley High’s graduating seniors was hard enough without the added emotional stress of a breakup. Rachel launched into a powerful rendition of Room For Two‘s “Roots Before Branches,” but while the song was meant to be inspirational, I couldn’t help but find it totally depressing.

It was the soundtrack to the death of “Finchel.”

But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it was the right time for Finn and Rachel to split. After all, HollywoodLife.com conducted a poll of the 25 hottest TV couples from the past season, and poor “Finchel” didn’t even crack the top 10!

So, Gleeks, how do you feel about Rachel and Finn’s breakup? Do you think it needed to happen, or do you feel cheated? Vote below, then hit up the comments section with your general reactions to the finale.

— Andy Swift

More Glee:

1. New ‘Glee’ Season 3 Finale Pics: Rachel, Finn & More Say Goodbye
  2. 10 Hottest TV Couples Of The Season
  3. Spoiler Party: A ‘Beautiful’ ‘Glee’ Finale Scene & More TV Scoop

Bomb Girls Season 2 Episode 2

Posted at 5:04 PM on January 13, 2013

I’ve been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.Bomb Girls Season 2 Episode 2

andrea

Posted at 4:10 AM on October 4, 2012

I think he made a verry big misake and rachel have to ge her mann back

Ruchi Fabulous

Posted at 10:22 PM on August 21, 2012

Wat?! You think Mercedes record contract is unrealistic? Thats too bad cos I believe she deserved it and more. And I also believe nothing is unrealistic when one is hard working

Ruchi Fabulous

Posted at 10:12 PM on August 21, 2012

It ended rather sad, it was not the end I expected. Yet still, I think finn made the right choice, a choice the will both appreciate with time.

Bronte

Posted at 5:36 AM on August 12, 2012

The fact that they ‘broke up’ is because the directors knew that after everyone graduated, they would loose heaps of veiwers, so this clifhanger would make the regulars and the Finchel fans still watch! makes sence to me.

As for me, i am gutwrenched that this happened! i loved them together, they were like my idea of the perfect couple, except for the fact that they almost always fought about something, but they always made up. Couples need abit of tension to work.

Seleste

Posted at 6:14 PM on July 30, 2012

On this Last Episode , Call Me stupid or Whatever but i literally Cried when Finn chased Along side the Train waving bye to Rachel .. i Really hope to See All the Same Faces in season 4 . It isnt Glee Without them <'3

jess

Posted at 8:09 PM on February 5, 2013

Me too! I was practically depressed and could not sleep the night after thinking about it. How could Rachel not date him in the 4th season? She goes back to Ohio a couple of times. But still. They need to get back together.

Elaine

Posted at 12:59 PM on June 14, 2012

As a 40 year old Gleek, I remember breaking up with my high school sweetheart and forging our own paths. That’s what happens. Anything else would have been unrealistic, such as Mercedes recording contract. Plus I think Santana is going to make the mistake of staying behind for Britney. I’m glad the finale was plausible, albeit a tear-jerker.

Ashley

Posted at 11:56 PM on June 2, 2012

I’ve always been a fan of this couple even though I have issues with Glee itself. I’m sure this break up is just temporary though, I can’t see the core couple of Glee being over forever, not after all they’ve been through.

holly

Posted at 9:16 AM on May 31, 2012

i can’t believe it. i’m a huge fan of glee and rachel is my favourite character. why the hell did they break up. i get the whole she needs to go to NIDA and do her thing but they could do in a yr or he could come with. its so stupid. i never saw it coming. all of a sudden they threw it on us with a few hints like finn asking if she really loved him. i was so happy when they said that she would defer because it meant she might stay for another season but then they drop the bomb. i was crying and yelling. everyones already upset about the season ending and then they break up everyones favourite couple. they have to fix this because a lot of angry viewer will be lost otherwise.

Amanda

Posted at 11:25 AM on May 26, 2012

Yes… Because Hollywoodlife.com polls are the standard by which all shows base their relationship plots. Right.

Nicci

Posted at 2:32 PM on May 25, 2012

i was completely heart broken over this break up, yes i know they are just TV characters, but i adore FInn and Rachel together, they are each other’s perfect match. when he broke up with her i broke down in tears, i was definitely not expecting that, i do hope that they end up back together for nbext season. that was not the season finally i was expecting.

Dar

Posted at 11:15 AM on May 25, 2012

I love Finn and Rachel together but I was totally OK with how the episode ended. It’s Finn and Rachel, it isn’t going to be forever. I’m looking forward to seeing how everything plays out in Season 4/5. And on a side note, Cory and Lea rocked that last scene!

De

Posted at 9:22 AM on May 25, 2012

I am hoping they get back together in season 4. I do believe they are too young to get married but I don’t think they had to go separate ways. Finn could of followed her to NYC and found a job and when they were ready to get married they would of . I really want them back together in the beginning of season 4

Sarah

Posted at 7:48 PM on May 24, 2012

I have absolutely no doubt that Finn and Rachel will get back together in Season 4 because, like David and Mary-Margaret in Once Upon a Time, they are meant to be together. However, when two talented actor’s performance is out of the ballpark like in the Glee Season 3 Finale, it can be so emotional and heartbreaking. Yes, I do give props to Finn allowing Rachel to form the star that she is already. I do wish they either could have allowed Finn to have become accepted to Inside The Actor’s Studio, or, if he really wants to enlist in the army, have a relationship with similar points to the one in Dear John-where they write letters to each other. That would have been cute. Nevertheless, until Finnchel run into each other’s arms again for good, I have to say that it is without question that all of the Glee cast members are super talented, and they all especially proved that with the finale of Season 3. Can’t wait for Season 4! Writers, you did an amazing job as far as the cliffhanger goes, and can’t wait until everyone is together and happy again- including one of my favorite Glee couples-Finnchel!

Chelsea

Posted at 9:14 AM on May 24, 2012

People make mistakes because of young love everyday and Rachel defering would have been one of them. How could Finn let her stay behind after 18 years of her life this is all she wanted? IT was extremely heartbreaking but it was the right thing for Finn to do and the best direction for the show.

But what I don’t like was Finn joining the army that was too much drama and heartbreak to deal with for me

noro

Posted at 7:40 AM on May 24, 2012

all i can say is they better get finchel back together in season 4 because i refuse to watch them with other people no way finchel has to get back together asap

Elise

Posted at 3:43 AM on May 24, 2012

Finchel fans aren’t really interested in voting on polls. They don’t rally on the internet to vote. Especially on Hollywood Life which posts stupid articles about Lea Michele everyday!

Dee

Posted at 12:13 AM on May 26, 2012

I hope there togethervin season four :) i was so upset rhen isaw the last scence . I think they will be together though because racheal never took off the ring and Finn never asked for it back. Usually when u break up an engagement they either give Back the ring or they ask for it back. Also the way he ran after the train it looks like they will be together .i hear they ate filming it in NYC and in Lima, Ohio so Finn doesn’t go to the army

Charlene

Posted at 2:16 AM on May 24, 2012

All I can say is, they BETTER bring them back and patch things up next season. I wasn’t going to watch Glee anymore after Rachel graduated, but if she and Finn are still in it because they’ve got to get back together then I’ll keep watching.

Bronte

Posted at 5:37 AM on August 12, 2012

Lots of people probably think the same! TOO TRUE!

Jessie

Posted at 11:35 PM on May 23, 2012

I agree with this guy. I mean Finchel was THE couple of glee. Samcedes was almost up there but the writters stopped giving them good episodes that really showed their love and their not going to stay together anyway. Anyone else shocked Sam is not a senior.

CariD

Posted at 7:26 PM on May 23, 2012

Another person in the minority here. I actually liked them together as a high school couple, but I never saw them together forever, so I think this is a good break.

Dani

Posted at 6:33 PM on May 23, 2012

i think they belong together, but it was the right thing for the both of them. they would end up resenting each other if they didn’t try to pursue their dreams. it is really sweet what finn did for rachel. if they belong together they will find their way back to each other.

Ashley

Posted at 11:59 PM on June 2, 2012

I agree with this comment. I think they need to do what they want with their careers and lives but ultimately they will end up together. They are the only couple on Glee I see as for sure ending up together.

Alli

Posted at 4:54 PM on May 23, 2012

i’m aware that i’m probably in a very small minority for thinking this, but i always thought they were a weird couple and that they really should break up.. so this ending was good for me.

Mollie

Posted at 4:21 PM on May 23, 2012

And I’m already writing some rough drafts of lots of hate mail to send to Ryan Murphy! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING YOU IDIOT! YOU HAVE JUST LOST ME AND PROBABLY SOME OTHER VIEWERS BECAUSE OF YOUR STUPID DECISION YOU STUPID IDIOT.
love Mollie

dre

Posted at 6:56 PM on May 23, 2012

same but there is hope that they will relaise how stupid that was and get back together. after all there is no way finn is going to the army. it doesnt fit into the season 4 format so that was a pointless breakup/cliffhanger

Adriane

Posted at 3:45 PM on May 23, 2012

I totally agree with you. I mean, how could he be ok with breaking up at this point? And how could she accept it so easily? No, it doesn’t make sense!

Dan

Posted at 3:38 PM on May 23, 2012

Wait so they didn’t finish string in one poll so they suck? And no reason they won;t be together in the future.