'Smash' Season 2 Shakeup: Are Ellis & Dev Gone For Good?

Tue, May 22, 2012 5:53pm EDT by 20 Comments
Smash Dev Ellis

A new report reveals Jaime Cepero & Razza Jaffrey will no longer be series regulars when ‘Smash’ returns in 2013.

Well, Smash fans, I’ve got some good news — and some great news: comic-book villain Ellis (Jaime Cepero) and no-good cheater Dev (Raza Jaffrey) will be much less visible in the show’s upcoming second season, EW.com reports.

There’s no word yet as to whether the two fan-hated characters will get a chance to wrap up their respective story lines before departing the series, but based on the events of the finale — Ellis got fired and Dev got dumped — I’d say there aren’t any loose ends left to tie up.

“Karen will always love Dev…or at least this Kat will always love @RazaJaffrey !” Katharine McPhee tweeted at her on-screen ex May 23. “I will miss you! Can’t wait to see you back in NY!”

Raza responded, “Dev will always love Karen even if had funny way of showing it! Will continue to enjoy watching you soar @katharinemcphee -see you in NY!”

Meanwhile, HollywoodLife.com chatted with Jaime a few weeks ago about what was in store for Ellis — and season two definitely still in the cards then.

“Maybe he’ll get some redemption later on in the future,” Jaime told me. “But you’ll probably still hate him in season two.”

Fans definitely still hate Ellis — and unfortunately, so does new showrunner Josh Safran.

UPDATE: Our sister site TVLine.com has learned that Frank (Brian d’Arcy James) and Michael (Will Chase) will also have dramatically reduced roles in season two, potentially being axed altogether. Needless to say, Julia (Debra Messing) will soon be looking for a few good men.

How do YOU feel about Dev, Ellis, Frank and Michael’s departures? Are you glad to see them go, or would you like them to return in some capacity to stir up trouble? Drop a comment with your thoughts on both exits.

— Andy Swift

Rachy

Posted at 8:08 PM on August 26, 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I LOVE MICHAEL AND JULIA:) DON’T GO MICHAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leigh

Posted at 5:58 PM on August 15, 2012

I am super glad that Ellis is leaving, but, as much as I hate him, every show has to have a bad guy. So the question, if Ellis is gone (YEA), who will be the bad guy? As far as Dev goes…Before we all jump on the Keep Dev bandwagon, let’s remember the episode where he made Karen sit at the worse table and she didn’t know anyone, just so her could sit with RJ at the work party. And while he did not go all the way with RJ, he knew exacly who Ivy was, and slept with her to punish Karen. Michael Swift & Frank? I don’t think we will really miss them (sorry boys). I would like to see the relationship between Eileen and the “No account, low life bartender” go somewhere. He is great!

Jessy

Posted at 11:26 PM on August 11, 2012

honestly Ellis was the most annoying character I have ever watched, every time he opened his mouth i wanted to scream

Sarah

Posted at 2:38 PM on July 9, 2012

Keep Dev! His character has a lot of potential for more depth and he’s great on screen! Love Raza Jaffrey; please don’t go!

Michael Thomas Angelo

Posted at 5:52 AM on November 22, 2012

Dev was cute but his character had nothing to do with forwarding the plot of the show which was supposed to be about Broadway. His storyline was all filler written to fluff out Karen’s character to be more dimensional but she has proven to be able to stand on her own and doesn’t needa boyfriend storyline getting in her way.

tcaffery

Posted at 5:50 PM on July 7, 2012

Loved Dev will miss him

jay

Posted at 12:48 PM on June 7, 2012

please dont let dev go.. dev n karen are made for each other. i like them both..

Sandy

Posted at 1:14 PM on June 6, 2012

I just read that Debra Messing filed for divorce and is dating Will Chase(Michael from “Smash”) Wow!!!!!

Tina

Posted at 4:12 PM on June 1, 2012

I don’t want to see Dev to be off the show.

AR

Posted at 12:34 AM on June 1, 2012

I really liked the Dev story, I think his character definitely got short handed, karen never completely committed to him and i think both of them had opportunity to evolve. I HATED Ellis. he was awful, I thought he was getting smarter by developing a backbone but he was such a scum. I didn’t like Debra’s character in the sense that she was sorta mean to the help without any reason but he deserved it. Scared to see how season 2 will turn out given someone else is taking it over.. :S I think it will really great as is. Not looking forward to Brian D’arcy James leaving :/ But Will Chase’s character, that makes more sense!

Ostermon

Posted at 9:35 PM on May 28, 2012

So into the Dev/Karen story…and the Frank/Julia story.Brings real life to us…in an environment that is out of my realm. I love seeing the struggle and success of those relationships . Don’t end them now!

Dee

Posted at 8:44 AM on May 28, 2012

Good that ellis is gone cos he was very annoying n a nuissance on the show, so wot was his storyline anyways?
Dev dont really want him to go. I didnt like that he cheated with ivy (now shes a total bitch in show), but would loved to see his character grow in the show. I would love to see julia stay with frank n michael gone. And ivy ill she ODon season 2???

Patrick

Posted at 5:02 PM on May 27, 2012

Frank should stay!! Love that storyline. Shows that there can be family even in show business, even when life throws problems their way. As much as I can’t stand that whiny Ellis, he’s the Erica Kane of the show! Glad to see Michael may go. It should be either Michael or Frank to go, but not both.

If Dev goes then I could see Karen succumbing to the director’s sexual advances. BTW, less sex scenes would make show better. Could care less who is kissing who. Love the behind the scenes look. Always wanted that life and now can vicariously live through the show. Glad I went the route I did! Can’t wait for season 2.

Nina

Posted at 2:15 PM on May 27, 2012

Dev- please stay!!!!!!!!!!

mills

Posted at 10:36 AM on May 27, 2012

GOOD RIDDANCE! I hate looking at Ellis’ face on my screen. But Dev gone is quite sad. Maybe Karen&Dev could work it out a bit. ELLIS GONE IS A BOMBSHELL

Micah

Posted at 9:50 AM on May 26, 2012

Aww…I will miss Dev. I hate his character’s actions, but I like him with Karen. I hate Ellis, though.

smashfan#1

Posted at 2:17 PM on May 23, 2012

I’m so upset to hear that Dev will be removed from the show! Same for Will and Frank! I don’t care that Dev messed up, he should still have a chance with Karen! Even Frank forgave Julia! And that was WAY more than a one night stand! If Dev leaves the show, I will be very disappointed. I can’t say the same for Ellis though, he was very unliked in my household.

ida

Posted at 11:00 AM on May 23, 2012

I’ll miss Michael…

Titina

Posted at 12:46 AM on May 23, 2012

Yay.. Great cuts.
I think the new showrunner is heading in the right direction. Dev was useless in the story and after what he did to Karen he is no longer needed. Plus his character was so far away from theater he really did not belong there.
All I can say about Ellis is good riddance!

Now show please concentrate on the Karen and Derek love story and I am ready for season 2! That final scene between them left me wanting for so much more! So excited to see what happens between them!

HelloALl

Posted at 6:18 PM on May 22, 2012

Finally! I hated Ellis, his character was so irritating to me.