'House' Series Finale: Who Returned, Who Died & How'd It All End?

Tue, May 22, 2012 6:30pm EDT by 46 Comments
House Finale

Plus, tell us: Were you satisfied with the final episode of ‘House’?

After eight seasons of misdiagnoses and drama, everyone wanted to know how Fox’s House would choose to end its run. Fans got their answer May 21, as the series finale found the troubled Dr. Gregory House (Hugh Laurie) ‘reuniting’ with former colleagues — including Once Upon A Time star Jennifer Morrison reprising her role as Dr. Cameron — and facing an uncertain future alongside Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard), his best frenemy forever.

OK, here’s where the spoilers really start.

In a nutshell, the final episode involved House being trapped in a burning building, imagining people from various stages of his life appearing before him to give him advice. A funeral was then held for him after his body was discovered in the rubble. His friends and colleagues (sadly, Lisa Edelstein did not reprise her role as Cuddy) had mostly nice things to say during the service, except for Wilson. He called House an ass, then was interrupted by a text from — wait for it — House! It turns out he was very much alive, and merely swapped his dental records for a corpse in the building.

After a brief montage showing where House’s pals ended up — Chase (Jesse Spencer) took over House’s job, Cameron had a baby, etc. — the viewers were brought back to House and Wilson. Riding side-by-side on motorcycles, the two ‘friends’ ride off into the world together.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about the ending. A part of me thinks it would have been more fitting for House to actually die, and I’m sure that was strongly considered before eventually being vetoed. Regardless, I’m glad we got to see so many characters we’ve lost over the years, especially Cameron.

So what did you think of the House finale? Were you hoping for a different ending? Are you disappointed Cuddy didn’t return? Leave your reviews and reflections in the comments section below.

— Andy Swift

Loading video...

More ‘House’:

1. ‘House’ Spoiler: ‘Everyone Dies’ In Series Finale?
  2. ‘House’ To End After 8 Seasons — Will You Miss It?
  3. Olivia Wilde Is Actually A Natural Blonde! Do You Agree With Her Choice To Become A Brunette?

Janice

Posted at 9:56 PM on May 22, 2012

Love, love loved the ending……..best ending ever! Who sang the last song of the show?

house

Posted at 8:20 PM on May 22, 2012

how the hell would they end House. I always looking forward in watching House on Monday

Piper

Posted at 7:50 PM on May 22, 2012

I liked the ending. I’m sick of sad endings to shows so I thought the turn around was great.

MerrittOphelia

Posted at 7:33 PM on May 22, 2012

my co-worker’s sister makes $72/hr on the laptop. She has been out of a job for nine months but last month her check was $19683 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more here CashLazy.*com
remove the *

M Minasso

Posted at 6:24 PM on May 22, 2012

Is House really dead or a figment of Wilson immagination?
House as a Christ like figure returns from the dead per Wilsons mind and helps him through the last 6 months of his life!

George

Posted at 6:03 PM on May 22, 2012

Did House die? When he was sitting on the steps I didn’t see a cane. If he is dead, he wouldn’t need the cane (presumably). ???

Bill

Posted at 5:51 PM on May 22, 2012

Not his child. It was a sign of what could be.

Milica

Posted at 5:32 PM on May 22, 2012

Do You want to accept recorded episode of House? I`ll be more than happy to send You this last episode!

Katie

Posted at 4:18 PM on May 22, 2012

Yes, it was.

Katie

Posted at 4:14 PM on May 22, 2012

I took it as House actually dying because when he & Wilson got together in the end, House said he was dead. I think that his spirit was visiting Wilson just as Houses other dead colleagues were visiting him.

C M Brown

Posted at 2:35 PM on May 22, 2012

At one point Sela Ward presented a baby to House and said something I couldn’t hear. Was this HOUSE”s child??

Khris

Posted at 11:59 AM on May 22, 2012

You can watch when it comes on Hulu.com. I watch it online, never on TV. Although there is a waiting period before episodes are posted, it will be posted, eventually. I wish your mother well, Khris

Carol

Posted at 11:49 AM on May 22, 2012

I just wanted to inquiry if there is any way possible I can see the last episode of HOUSE it was one of my favorite show watched every time it was on but unfourtunaley my Mom is sick and need total care so we were at the Emergency Room last night and I missed I was so disappointed so I am not sure if there is any other time it might run or if I just missed it

Des-Meridian

Posted at 11:22 AM on May 22, 2012

The final episode of HOUSE was fantastic. In a final act, House finally accepted the reality of his life and realized that the only way for him to live, was for him to die. His life changed forever and it was a total selfless act. His only concern was ensuring that his best friend, who took care of him all these years, enabled his addictions and rescued him for sudden destruction was going to live his last 5 months. After watching this episode, I think we all can move on now.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:48 AM on May 22, 2012

That’s been fixed. Someone else changed that and will be murdered accordingly.

Rudy

Posted at 10:44 AM on May 22, 2012

Now I remember 13. I will rewatch the ending. Still great ending.

Sharon

Posted at 10:42 AM on May 22, 2012

Loved the ending. House was his coniving self, but at the end revealed that he was capable of being a caring , loving human being. Perfect way to end the show. I was cheering instead of weeping .

Beaver

Posted at 10:38 AM on May 22, 2012

Iwas just reading some of the postings about this, and someone said 13 did not come back, but then somewhere else said she did. I donot remember seing her. Did she come back? I would need to see thewhole episode again.

Bob

Posted at 10:36 AM on May 22, 2012

“(sadly, neither Olivia Wilde nor Lisa Edelstein came back)”

What episode were you watching? I believe I saw Olivia Wilde at the funeral. She even said a few words.

Greg McCloud

Posted at 10:35 AM on May 22, 2012

13 was there, at the funeral.

Beaver

Posted at 10:25 AM on May 22, 2012

This was the best episode. It was very fitting the way it ended. In typical House style, he ended it so he screwed the rest of his life up, but kept Wilson in mind. That was a great touch. What happened to Cuddy and 13? I can understand Cuddy not being there but 13?

brian mirson

Posted at 10:15 AM on May 22, 2012

Enjoyed the final episode and believe writers delivered without compromising the characters they have developed over the years.

Understand how contracts may have had prohibited return of Edlestein, but would have been nice touch to have included in the script the reading of an email from cuddly during funeral scene.

Sarah

Posted at 9:54 AM on May 22, 2012

Where is cuddy and 13 ?

Bella

Posted at 9:42 AM on May 22, 2012

I thought they would commit suicide together… I am also disappointed Cuddy didn’t return.

William Earl

Posted at 9:29 AM on May 22, 2012

I’m so disappointed that Cuddly didn’t return!