'House' Series Finale: Who Returned, Who Died & How'd It All End?

Tue, May 22, 2012 6:30pm EDT by 46 Comments
House Finale

Plus, tell us: Were you satisfied with the final episode of ‘House’?

After eight seasons of misdiagnoses and drama, everyone wanted to know how Fox’s House would choose to end its run. Fans got their answer May 21, as the series finale found the troubled Dr. Gregory House (Hugh Laurie) ‘reuniting’ with former colleagues — including Once Upon A Time star Jennifer Morrison reprising her role as Dr. Cameron — and facing an uncertain future alongside Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard), his best frenemy forever.

OK, here’s where the spoilers really start.

In a nutshell, the final episode involved House being trapped in a burning building, imagining people from various stages of his life appearing before him to give him advice. A funeral was then held for him after his body was discovered in the rubble. His friends and colleagues (sadly, Lisa Edelstein did not reprise her role as Cuddy) had mostly nice things to say during the service, except for Wilson. He called House an ass, then was interrupted by a text from — wait for it — House! It turns out he was very much alive, and merely swapped his dental records for a corpse in the building.

After a brief montage showing where House’s pals ended up — Chase (Jesse Spencer) took over House’s job, Cameron had a baby, etc. — the viewers were brought back to House and Wilson. Riding side-by-side on motorcycles, the two ‘friends’ ride off into the world together.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about the ending. A part of me thinks it would have been more fitting for House to actually die, and I’m sure that was strongly considered before eventually being vetoed. Regardless, I’m glad we got to see so many characters we’ve lost over the years, especially Cameron.

So what did you think of the House finale? Were you hoping for a different ending? Are you disappointed Cuddy didn’t return? Leave your reviews and reflections in the comments section below.

— Andy Swift

Loading video...

More ‘House':

1. ‘House’ Spoiler: ‘Everyone Dies’ In Series Finale?
  2. ‘House’ To End After 8 Seasons — Will You Miss It?
  3. Olivia Wilde Is Actually A Natural Blonde! Do You Agree With Her Choice To Become A Brunette?

Ali

Posted at 10:33 AM on October 17, 2012

House DID die. It was Wilson who was having the hallucination. Think about it. House didn’t have his cane when waiting for Wilson. House texted Wilson on his own phone. If Wilson had the phone, what did house use? If House was a long way away (we saw Wilson getting out of his car having driven there) how did he manage to text at the exact moment Wilson was speaking. Why was everyone suddenly there when the body was taken out of the building? We saw Wilson rushing towards the building as it exploded. Everything after the explosion was Wilson’s vision in the same way that before it was House’s.

EL

Posted at 2:47 PM on June 15, 2012

I think they did about as good a job ending this show as they could have given the character and his various predicaments.

yeah death was an option.. but it would have been a copout, and contradcitory to his character to allow himself to die.

But he was also not the kind of character one could have some kind of rich emotional send off with either.

So they found a good middle ground. Anything more mawkish would have been anathema to the entire style of the show.

TheCyndicate

Posted at 4:59 PM on June 8, 2012

People,
House DID die. Does anyone not think about this? House spent every episode of the show, talking about how there is no God, no Heaven, how you just die and it’s all over.

The burning building fell on him, House died. Period.
What happened after that, was a deep mental & spiritual engagement by the writers and producers of the show.

The REAL question is,.. Was House in Heaven, or was those scenes his last thoughts of what he could have done, maybe what he thought Heaven WOULD be like if he went.

I think it was him, actually hoping for a Heaven. Where they could both ride off and enjoy the last 6 months of Wilson’s life, only to find out that Wilson has been cured and they can live forever, doing whatever they want.

House died.
I can’t believe most people didn’t get that.

EL

Posted at 2:43 PM on June 15, 2012

*eyeroll*

johndoe

Posted at 5:20 AM on August 20, 2012

You’re over-thinking it…smh :/

how to get a girls number

Posted at 1:08 PM on June 5, 2012

Excellent weblog here! Also your website loads up fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink in your host? I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Sharon

Posted at 12:20 AM on June 3, 2012

So I was watching the show live (sans dvr) and absolutely had to go to the bathroom just as Wilson and Foreman show up at the scene of the burning building. I could hear the funeral speeches in the background and made it back just as Wilson parked his car. So I was sure that House had died and even had long philosophical discussions with a coworker, who didn’t see it, about how I guess it was a sad but honest and fitting end. I thought maybe Wilson was finally free to live his remaining months for himself and House thought Wilson was better off without all his going to jail, continuous self-destructive drama…so maybe it was one of those twisted “houseish” acts of kindness. I waited and waited for Fox to post it on line so I could see what I missed and am surprised at how relieved and happy I am that I was wrong and House chose to live! I get to still hope (like I have for 8 seasons) that someday he will find enough inner healing to be happy. Excellent! – thank you writers :-).

Robert Leonard

Posted at 3:59 AM on May 30, 2012

This is me, yes. “Wilson” Listen up fans. I did not see a figment of my imagination. Clearly the I.D. badge we left at the end of the show under the table leg says it all.
This is what “House” does, he always has done. He is always one step ahead of everyone else. Yes it was me and House riding away into the sunset, but sadly no there will be no continuation. Who would want to watch me die anyway. If you have watched all the episodes you should know that this was classic house. It was not planned for the patient to die. The records were switched at the last moment. House did go to the house to die, but he decided not to. He decided that it would be selfish/. He finally realized that he had always been selfish and needed to be there for me his friend. Take the ending at face value. I thank everyone for watching the show. I will never be on a show this good again. every single day of filming over the last 8 years has been amazing.

Vera Pet

Posted at 12:23 PM on June 6, 2012

Response to Robert Leonard (aka Wilson) if it really is you. It sounds like it is – but we are talking about the show “House” after all :) I agree, the badge under the table leg was House’s final nyah-nhay. The series finale was a very good ending, on all counts. It must be like leaving family after 8 years, for you and the others. Enjoy a hiatus, Robert, you deserve a rest. Thanks for making Monday nights really good TV. Best wishes for you and all the cast as you tackle new roles and fresh opportunities.

Martha Aarons

Posted at 9:08 PM on June 13, 2012

Thanks for writing this comment, whether it’s really you or someone impersonating you! I just watched the episode which I had recorded because I was in China until the other day. Curious to read how people feel about the finale, I was immediately puzzled how those interpreting his reappearance as metaphorical could overlook the badge scene, which couldn’t possibly have been made any more obvious in its significance. The producers know exactly what they’re doing and I had wanted to write myself that this is vintage House, impersonating his own death and leaving his calling card! The ending was at least as satisfying as I hoped it would be.
Thank you to all involved for this wonderful show. I’m not a big TV-watcher, and this is the only series I’ve ever watched “cover-to-cover”. I will miss it sorely.

Laura Ivy

Posted at 4:56 AM on June 16, 2012

Thank you for the wonderfull 8 years you-ve givven us as Wilson. We ve grown from liking you to pitting you, understanding, loving and finally missimng you
Good luck

joey d

Posted at 3:48 AM on May 30, 2012

I think this was one of the best series finalies ever. It is pure house. the unexpected expected. He gave everything up to be with his friend at the end. It was perfect. Most times when I see an ending to a great series I cry as though part of my life was finished but not with this one. It was the best ending ever. Kudos!!!!!

floyd

Posted at 1:24 AM on May 29, 2012

when he goes to meet House on the steps..there is no cane..and not on the cycle..I think this means Wilson lost his marbles at the funeral and he is riding around the roads by himself..
I dont think House made it

hotel in sihanoukville,resort in sihanoukville,sihanoukville resorts

Posted at 12:44 AM on May 25, 2012

It is the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I may just I desire to counsel you few fascinating things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles relating to this article. I wish to read even more issues about it!

Dave

Posted at 9:19 PM on May 24, 2012

Only afew questions, who was the guy on floor who was dead and took houses place as the dead house corpse? How did house get in the burning building and did he start the fire.
Why did wilson tell house he would never practice dr again and go to jail for the rest of his life when wilson first found house sitting on the steps.

Greg House

Posted at 6:13 AM on May 25, 2012

To answer your questions Dave: The guy on the floor was just a regular patient House took to keep him going to jail but this patient was willing to help him out (to take the blame for the tickets) however House saw that he was willing to do something greater (because he was dying) and that’s when they foreshadow “the Plan” Your second question is self explanatory if you understood my first answer, Since it was all House;s plan house set everything up he went in the building and started the fire. Third question is simple, because Faking your own death is frowned by the law he can get into serious trouble, and when your dead your license is dead too, so you cant practice doctor. hope this helped.

Katie

Posted at 6:10 PM on May 25, 2012

The only thing that I’m confused about is that the patient was supposedly dying and then House found out he wasn’t dying anymore, so he told him the truth. So how did the guy end up dead in the building if he was no longer dying? Id assume a heroin overdose, but it wasn’t really explained.

Judy

Posted at 10:19 AM on May 23, 2012

It was brilliant!

thi

Posted at 10:59 PM on May 22, 2012

hey, can anyone send me a link or something? my email is:thiago23tmn@hotmail.com

thanks all!

Me

Posted at 3:25 AM on May 26, 2012

OK Everyone Dies……So House died in the fire. As he was dying,he was in the transitional time, he saw ghosts exactly as he knew them. The dead ones tried to convince him not to come to the other side, but the live one said it’s OK to go. He saw what he wanted to see, but it came too late. Then he was witnessed dying in the fire.THE END!!!! Now as Wilson’s life is coming to an end and he becomes delusional, seeing only what he wants In his mind. House is alive helping him to the other side, as Wilson knew House…….. totally wreckless and care free. The alive survivors were the only ones with memories of House………. THAT”S JUST HOW IT IS

barbara

Posted at 2:33 PM on May 27, 2012

Certainly that ambiguousness existed, but David Shore (the creator) has said to take it as face value. The body was the patient he brought with him. The collapse of the floor happened in front of House before the explosion and he fell down and got out the back, the ID badge found by Foreman implies House left it there to be found…House had reexamined his life through his past relationships, chose to live and went back to get Wilson. Now as in Holmes & Watson, will we have a sequel, House and Wilson (on the road) and their misadventures as they enjoy their last 5 months together.