'American Idol Finale' Recap: Phillip Phillips Should Win

Tue, May 22, 2012 9:01pm EDT by 137 Comments
American Idol Finale 2012

Randall

Posted at 11:22 AM on May 23, 2012

I thought Philips was awesome! Vote your opinion here! http://voteisland.com/index.php/entertainment-polls-and-opinions

OklahomaChef

Posted at 11:10 AM on May 23, 2012

Fast forward to next year and we will be seeing the SAME conspiracy theories. So and so was set up, so and so go the better this or that. If you go back and watch every single episode, the judges CLEARLY favored Joshua and Jessica. Joshua, Jessica, and Phillip are all good singers. However, they don’t appeal to everyone, which is why I don’t get the “theories” every year. The one thing I think that is jacked up is the voting system.

Also, judges not being able to judge. That’s why I miss Simon. Yes, he could be an a$$ sometimes, but he typically told it like it was. I love a come to Jesus moment, but I had to turn the channel when Joshua was on because I could not tolerate the screaming. Did I think he was talented, yes. Did I think he deserved the overabundance of praise he received, no. For Jennifer to declare that he was the best singer in the past 50 years, was the most ludicrous statement ever uttered from her lips. I’m paraphrasing, but it was something to that effect.

Jessica doesn’t appeal to me because there is no connection with her. I have felt that from the beginning, and again, this does not mean she isn’t talented. She just needs time to mature. #1, the stylists should of made her clothing a bit more age appropriate. The biggest problem with her final song was that it wasn’t believable. She is 16 and has not experienced those type of things yet. Also, her growling was unappealing to some of us. Yet those die hard fans can’t accept that for every person that likes her, there is someone who doesn’t. Pia got voted out because she sang the same way every week…same as Jessica. Also, Jessica was a clear favorite from the start with the Judges. When Jessica sang Queen….it was HORRIFIC, yet the judges said “well, it’s not in your wheel house but you did your best.” Yet Holly and Aleise (can’t remember how she spells her name) do similar things with songs and they are told how terrible it was.

Phillip was my favorite from the moment I saw what he did with Thriller. The reason being is that I appreciate his musical talents and his voice. I don’t need to hear screaming at the top of his lungs every week. He proved to me that he was able to sing different songs and make them his own. Does this mean you have to like him….no. However, I would buy his music in a heartbeat because I LIKE It. Which is what this show is about.

I am so tired of seeing “it’s a race thing” or people don’t know music because they aren’t voting for my favorite. Uggh.

gmac3

Posted at 6:41 PM on May 23, 2012

If you want to her Phillip scream wait til he goes in for his medical problem.

funkyeah

Posted at 10:21 AM on May 24, 2012

You said HORRIFIC? and you can’t even sing like jess lol!

Bias

Posted at 10:56 AM on May 23, 2012

Philip’s performance of Home is just a cover of Greg Holden’s Home. His performance is like a circus act to cover up with his limited vocal range. His first two performance were both trainwreck. How can Philip win this thing? Jessica had performed three stellar performance. The original song is indeed an original song which no one has sung it. She gave a good performance out of a not so good song. Jessica should win this thing. After all, this is a singing competition and not a songwriter song.

Holly

Posted at 12:53 PM on May 23, 2012

Vice versa and you’d be smart.

chef frankie

Posted at 10:49 AM on May 23, 2012

at this point in time, i don’t think it’s the songs you sing that will win you title. it’s how organized your fans are in voting that will get you the crown. just saying… both did phenomenal jobs but it all boils down to the fans and their tenacity at voting for their idols.

serena

Posted at 10:47 AM on May 23, 2012

at the beginning I knew for sure Jessica will get in..obviously she has great vocals very talented at that age…during the final 12 I have a little fear that Americans will not vote for her that they will choose a pure american..that even if Jessica does her best but still not appreciated…. and now for finale…will the american vote for her?

gmac3

Posted at 10:35 AM on May 23, 2012

I just would like to add Jessica took a bad song and made it better.

Captain America

Posted at 10:11 AM on May 23, 2012

Original for PP? check out GREG HOLDEN HOME!.. there should be a disqualification somewhere…..

jessie

Posted at 10:09 AM on May 23, 2012

and the winner is………………………..THE MARCHING BAND! i mean Philip phillips, he will win this whole thing because of the help of the american idol production. they made it so big so that people will be overwhelmed. and they did less for Jessica. American Idol is losing more viewers because of how they run the show. And to all the judges. it is soooo obvious, you all have the say to these.

Martial Bonifacio

Posted at 10:07 AM on May 23, 2012

The Drums hides PP’s voice so to cover his flaws. And The Original song that was mentioned was ORIGINALLY sang by Greg Holden .. check youtube. Greg Holden Home.. AI and the Judges knew about this that is why they can not comment directly that it is a PP Original made for PP. There should be a disqualification there already.. or should i say a rigged!.. if PP wins kiss AI goodbye to THE VOICE! and they should change the shows title to AMERICAN MALE BEAUTY IDOL! it should be a Talent Show and not a Beauty pageant contestt!…

gmac3

Posted at 10:19 AM on May 23, 2012

Not to mention the chorus drowning him out. I especially loved the part of his song (half of it) where he just went OOOOOOO and was drowned out by the chorus. Greart production, not so great a rsult. Wake up and smell the coffee little girls.

gmac3

Posted at 9:59 AM on May 23, 2012

No matter the outcome they will both be alright people. If your favorite doesn’t win the world won’t end tomorrow. Life goes on. Its only a contest not the end of the world. Enjoy enjoy enjoy it is all good!

gmac3

Posted at 9:56 AM on May 23, 2012

I think Bonnie is Fuller herself, If you check out your own poll more people are picking Jessica over your choice. What does that tell you. This should be based on the whole body of work these two did If you do that it is really easy to see who is the better contestant. I will not say who I bwelieve it is. You can figure that out yourselves.

witty

Posted at 9:55 AM on May 23, 2012

Bonny, I hope that you will not be depressed with the result of your poll. Jessica is surely the winner. The more the media push Philip to win, the more Jessica’s supporters are apt to vote as much as they can. This is PEOPLE POWER for Jessica

tin2x

Posted at 9:48 AM on May 23, 2012

they r both amazing singers with a great voices:) they r already winners!! 4 me no comparing at all:D

ginger

Posted at 9:34 AM on May 23, 2012

j

Patrick

Posted at 9:32 AM on May 23, 2012

Randy described Philips last song as grand will all the production including the marching band and all. true they made it so grand with everyone walking around the stage, but that was not Philip. that was the production. we cannot hide the truth that Philip being so unique has no match with a vocals like of Jessicas. Finally AI will produce a real winner and ofcourse that is Jessica Sanchez, obviously!

Jason

Posted at 9:28 AM on May 23, 2012

The article above is a campaign for Philip– which is good. But look at the polls after the write-up.

sweet

Posted at 8:53 AM on May 23, 2012

I hate the hatred and prejudice here… so palpable. Whether you’re for Jessica or Phillip, there is absolutely no reason to be unkind or disrespectful to your fellowmen.

Jason

Posted at 9:22 AM on May 23, 2012

I agree! Both finalist have beautiful voices and have artistry and creativity of their own. It all comes down to people’s choice. So people just vote and shut up!

Martin

Posted at 8:30 AM on May 23, 2012

Joshua should have been in Phillip’s place last night. Like what JLo said, it was a battle of the opposites….If Jessica wins, American Idol would produce another Kelly Clarkson, however, if Phillip wins, American Idol would produce another winner that you would never hear about anymore like most of the recent winners. AMERICA WAKE UP! This is a singing contest for Gods sake.

Debbie Lintzen

Posted at 8:26 AM on May 23, 2012

Phillip’s performance last night shows what he can do with music. He is so much more talented that Jessica. I think he blew the roof off last night with his final song. Love me some Phillip!!!!!

Jason

Posted at 9:24 AM on May 23, 2012

Are you kidding me? They are both talented! Philip may have blew the roof off last night with his final song, but that does not make Jessica less talented.

yelo

Posted at 8:18 AM on May 23, 2012

i think round 1 and 2 is for jessica. For the 3rd, i think philip did it a little better because the song fitted him unlike that of jessica. I actually expected happy songs for finale. At some point the orig song of jessica sounds like that hit song of greyson chance. I really think jessica should win this. If phillip wins, he’s gonna be like davidcook but obviously david cook is far better than him. I hope many would wont racists and discriminating.

yelo

Posted at 8:22 AM on May 23, 2012

I mean I hope that many wont be racists and discriminating this time.

Carl

Posted at 8:15 AM on May 23, 2012

American idol is a singing contest. and the winner should have a good singing voice and obviously, Jessica Sanchez should be the winner. the judges themselves already said that Jessica could sing even the bible with the quality of her voice. No doubt, if Jessica is crowned as the winner, the whole world would agree.

Lonee Phobs

Posted at 8:06 AM on May 23, 2012

Did Phillip sings any of his songs on AI that he wrote?? Why do you say he’s original? I did not watch AI all along!

pinoy

Posted at 8:01 AM on May 23, 2012

I am buying Jessica Sanchez’s Album. those songs she sung were the best for me.
I won’t react, because she is happy now.

faith

Posted at 7:03 AM on May 23, 2012

JESSICA SANCHEZ will definitely win… her voice is beautiful.. To all phillip and Jessica’s supporters, just stop fighting and stop discriminating each others race. Let’s all respect and love one another. I am a filipino and i am proud of it. :)

abigail

Posted at 9:30 AM on May 23, 2012

now you are the one discriminating. how about waiting the final outcome?

Holly

Posted at 12:59 PM on May 23, 2012

You obviously like her because she is the same race as you. THAT is why she is in the top 2. She shouldn’t have even got to the top 13, for crying out loud!

Kat

Posted at 6:49 AM on May 23, 2012

Jessica has an amazing voice, but I have to ask myself- who am I willing to listen to over and over and over again ad nauseum for the next year? Whoever wins AI will be played to death on the radio for however long in order to promote him/her. Sadly, Jessica sounds like so many other performers as she has tried so hard to mimic Beyonce, Mariah, and others. Philip, on the other hand, may not be as stellar as Jessica in the vocal department, but he is original. If he is played over and over and over again, at least his originality will not get old quickly. I would rather listen to someone who is original than someone who is an amazing copy.

Judy

Posted at 7:58 AM on May 23, 2012

I totally agree. I think Phillip is more unique.

Leo

Posted at 8:33 AM on May 23, 2012

Phillip is Unique, and i agree, but unique does not mean Good.. This was a battle of the opposites. One being a singer and the other one wanting to be a singer.

abigail

Posted at 9:33 AM on May 23, 2012

if he is not that good, how come he is competing with Jessica now”,

evelyn

Posted at 11:05 AM on May 23, 2012

Amen, both contestant have their own unique style. Good luck to both of them. Thank you american idol for giving us a very good show

rhon

Posted at 10:03 AM on May 23, 2012

AI is a singing contest and it’s not a contest of being unique…

Jason

Posted at 9:26 AM on May 23, 2012

good comment Kat. This is how should people make their comments and not bad mouthing other contestants.

Eileen

Posted at 11:02 AM on May 23, 2012

Phillip is going to win he is much more talented than Jessica