'Grey's Anatomy' Season Finale: How Do You Feel About The Major Death?

Fri, May 18, 2012 9:17am EDT by 87 Comments
Grey's Anatomy Season Finale 8

Warning: Stop reading if you haven’t watched the eighth season finale of ‘Grey’s Anatomy!’

The May 17 season finale of Grey’s Anatomy was painful to watch — and not only because of Meredith’s (Ellen Pompeo) high-pitched screams of terror that, eventually, only dogs could hear. The episode also featured the shocking death of a beloved character. So which doc joined George (T.R. Knight) in that big operating room in the sky?

The victim ended up being Lexie (Chyler Leigh), who met her untimely end after the team was involved in a plane crash. In arguably the most intense scene Grey’s has delivered in quite some time, Mark (Eric Dane) tried desperately to pick up the wing of the plane that was crushing her.

“Tell Meredith that I love her, and that she was a good sister,” she told him. And after Mark told her he loved her, she replied, “You don’t have to say it just because I’m dying.”

Cue the waterworks. Cue the pain. Cue the fan backlash.

How do you feel about Lexie’s death? Do you think it was a necessary event that will trigger some much-needed changes on the show, or was it a huge mistake that will come back to bite Grey’s in the butt? Watch Lexi’s tragic final scene below, then drop a comment with your reactions!

Loading video...

— Andy Swift

More Grey’s Anatomy:

1. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Scoop: Will April Finally Lose Her Virginity Tonight?
  2. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Derek’s Sister Returns
  3. Katherine Heigl Should Never Return To ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

Amyecz

Posted at 3:04 AM on May 24, 2012

Worst thing ever! Shonda made a wrong choice!

Joel

Posted at 12:41 AM on May 24, 2012

Bring Lexie Grey back. In whichever way. Just bring her back. They show isn’t the same without her.

andrei

Posted at 7:39 PM on May 23, 2012

Actually I think it’s great they killed the character, it looks authentic to me.
You knowm, in real life, people die unexpectedly too. Things are not always fair.

Christina

Posted at 11:53 PM on May 22, 2012

****Bring Lexie BACK — big drama .. coma, memory loss, amnesia — something ridiculous if you must but incredibly PISSED that this character was killed off.

lexie

Posted at 8:16 PM on May 22, 2012

Are they crazy to just kill off lexie. when i was looking forward in seeing her and mark getting back together. I think they should make lexie see the light and relize that is not time for her to go; just like they did with meredith, when she suppose to die and she didn’t. They are messing up my dame show that i love, and been watching since it started. Let lexie stay alive please.

ann

Posted at 5:46 PM on May 22, 2012

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/bringbacklittlegrey For all that’s good in the world lets save Lexie. We as fans can change what Shonda Rhimes messed up on. If we aren’t happy with Lexie dieing ABC need to have a very serious talk with Shonda Rhimes and have her fix it. if we keep telling write and sign petition we can bring her back. Are opinion matters

Katia

Posted at 12:59 AM on May 22, 2012

Derek signed on for 2 more years…..he is not going anywhere.

Alicia

Posted at 8:14 PM on May 21, 2012

So you people do understand that this is fiction, none of these people are real. Your crying a freaking out over a TV show, if its that upsetting buy the DVDS and watch the season/episodes you like. But get over it!!! Its TV,,,freakin idiots

Susej

Posted at 2:47 PM on May 21, 2012

Lexie’s death was upsetting, don’t get me wrong. But somehow I’m just not attached to any of the characters anymore. The show has become too predictable. It’s so formulated it isn’t intresting anymore. Dramatic season finale where someone mildly important dies, and ends with a cliffhanger; season premier, the dramatic event ends by everyone getting saved, people greive, get over it yada yada yada. The rest of the season the same relationship crud starts over again..we see the same story lines…and then onto another crappy season ender.

This one was my personal series finale. I’m done. I’m bored. I no longer care who dies. I’m just so sick of Ellen Pompo’s fake cry I could vomit and mutilate my ears when I hear it. I bid you ado greys.

Danni

Posted at 5:06 AM on May 21, 2012

Soooo mad! Lexie was my favorite and my familys favorite character! We all don’t think we’ll be watching next seasons now that she won’t be on it.

Sissaki

Posted at 4:31 PM on May 20, 2012

I’m so angry because i watch this show 8 seasons and from the mon=ment Leie came in i just loved her!!and more with Lexie+Mark love story!!!this year the only reason i was watching Grey’s was because i expected something to happen between them as SHONDA PROMISED!!and now she kiled her????NO!!!Enoug is enough!!!!She is killing the show and for me it’s done with rey’s and i m pissed with her cruel reaction to all the devastated and furius fans!!!”don’t tweet me craziness?????????THAT’S THE THANKS TO YOUR FANS SHONDA???no no..you deserve ignorance!!!

Pauline

Posted at 2:15 PM on May 20, 2012

Are you kidding me?? This was a horrible horrilbe mistake. Get rid of annoying April who has no future on the show. She is obnoxious, loud, hyper, nervous. What in the hell are you going to do with her character. BIG MISTAKE Does not matter if her & Sloane were to get back together. GET RID OF KEPNER~~ HOW ANNOYING COULD ONE CHARACTER. STUPID MISTAKE

Not Lexi :(

Posted at 12:31 PM on May 20, 2012

They always kill off my fav characters. First George and now Lexi. And I hear Derek won’t be returning for another season either :( HATE that they killed her off

Mara Leone

Posted at 5:08 PM on May 19, 2012

Not happy that Lexie died. I wanted to see her and Mark together again.

Martine

Posted at 2:11 PM on May 19, 2012

NOOO! OMG shee haas to come back! she was the cutest of all! :( i cried so bad..

Tammy

Posted at 12:39 PM on May 19, 2012

http://twitition.com/fjcwt sign to bring lexie grey back :) please sign as a petition is always a good way to make them change their mind :D theres also another petiton floating around the internet somewhere on petitionbuzz its just finding it come on people :D

Emmeline

Posted at 12:17 PM on May 19, 2012

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
That’s the only thing that I’m thinking right now…
She was my favourite charachter :'(
Mark and Lexie had to be together!!!

ddod

Posted at 12:12 PM on May 19, 2012

Not so bad!!!!!

Sonia

Posted at 11:31 AM on May 19, 2012

NOOOOOO!!! this cannot be happening!!! Lexie and Mark are like my favourite couple!!!! :( THEY HAVE TO PUT LEXIE BACK!!!!

lothiriel

Posted at 10:34 AM on May 19, 2012

I am angry, coz ML fans have been told lies for 3 years !
I know that maybe CHyler L. wanted to leave I respect that, but they could have gie her a good SL before the death or departure of her character.
They told ML that beautiful moments would come, they told us to wait and hope for a ML reunion, and in the end after 3 years since the first break up we got nothing !
Shonda told us about bittersweet moments in the SF, now she killed Lexie, it is not bittersweet it it tragic !
I won’t watch tthe show anymore, i was a grey’s fan only for mark & lexie anyway !
I really hope Chyler L. will talk to her fans coz at the beginning of S0_ she said she was going “nowhere” !

C

Posted at 10:09 AM on May 19, 2012

Are you kidding me? NOO PLEASE! I think this was the worst decision they could make! Lexie was great, and now coming back with Mark everything would get better! I would even preferred if they killed Arizona… PLEASE you have to put Lexi back, she and Mark have to be together!
The worst and too tragic finale

mikky

Posted at 5:29 PM on May 24, 2012

they should of killed lexie and zona. I love them both but at least that way mark and callie could get together and it could be beautiful.. but instead marks just alone.. again.. I HATE that.

Ali Sharaf

Posted at 9:42 AM on May 19, 2012

Unfortunately the show did need some shaking up so although sad to see Lexie go it wasn’t a bad move. I have watched the show since the start.It is one of my favorite shows. I do have to say the saddest episode still is when George died. My 2 favorite characters on the show now are Baily and Yang.

brie

Posted at 2:24 AM on May 19, 2012

Why Lexie??? I am also hopeful that she can somehow just be in a coma or anything else that could be thought of but not dead!! She is [was] my favorite character. I do not really know what else to write other than please don’t kill her. i have never posted a comment on any website(besides a couple on facebook)ever,so i guess i am am pretty passionate about this…anyway yeah i guess thats it just dont make her really die, please!!

Mania