'Grey's Anatomy' Season Finale: How Do You Feel About The Major Death?

Fri, May 18, 2012 9:17am EDT by 87 Comments
Grey's Anatomy Season Finale 8

Warning: Stop reading if you haven’t watched the eighth season finale of ‘Grey’s Anatomy!’

The May 17 season finale of Grey’s Anatomy was painful to watch — and not only because of Meredith’s (Ellen Pompeo) high-pitched screams of terror that, eventually, only dogs could hear. The episode also featured the shocking death of a beloved character. So which doc joined George (T.R. Knight) in that big operating room in the sky?

The victim ended up being Lexie (Chyler Leigh), who met her untimely end after the team was involved in a plane crash. In arguably the most intense scene Grey’s has delivered in quite some time, Mark (Eric Dane) tried desperately to pick up the wing of the plane that was crushing her.

“Tell Meredith that I love her, and that she was a good sister,” she told him. And after Mark told her he loved her, she replied, “You don’t have to say it just because I’m dying.”

Cue the waterworks. Cue the pain. Cue the fan backlash.

How do you feel about Lexie’s death? Do you think it was a necessary event that will trigger some much-needed changes on the show, or was it a huge mistake that will come back to bite Grey’s in the butt? Watch Lexi’s tragic final scene below, then drop a comment with your reactions!

Loading video...

— Andy Swift

More Grey’s Anatomy:

1. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Scoop: Will April Finally Lose Her Virginity Tonight?
  2. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Derek’s Sister Returns
  3. Katherine Heigl Should Never Return To ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

Mania

Posted at 10:57 PM on May 18, 2012

Please Shonda, makes all this an hallucination…Meredith was injured at her head…please please please please!!!!!!!!!

Rose

Posted at 10:50 PM on May 18, 2012

I think they will make this crash a dream for next year, I hope!!

All

Posted at 9:13 PM on May 18, 2012

What are the chances this is all a dream? I don’t want lexie to leave. And if she is really dead will they kill mark off too so they can ultimately be “together?”

Jennifer

Posted at 6:44 PM on May 18, 2012

I also agree with the other guy that commented put Lexi in a comma have her come back next season

Jennifer

Posted at 6:42 PM on May 18, 2012

I would also like to say she was a great part of the show and I hoped there would have been more Lexi and Mark and them getting back together for Mer to have a lost friendship with Lexi and to have each other as sisters crazy I like them all but Lexi man thats crazy

Jennifer

Posted at 6:37 PM on May 18, 2012

why out of all people did they kill of Lexi she was one of my favs. amongs all the others I like them all even thou I watched it before her
she came on that really suck epic was sad still have good peps left on show would very much like her to come back on please

Priyanka

Posted at 6:36 PM on May 18, 2012

Shonda Rhimes is fucking stupid. Her style of killing some character end of the season is getting old.

Why not kill some of the none famous character. like Bailey’s boyfriend, or whatever. But Lexie? SERIOUSLY?!

Pure stupid.

Bella

Posted at 5:42 PM on May 18, 2012

I loved Lexie’s character soooooo much and I can’t believe they killed her off!! So angry that they didn’t show enough of Mark and Lexie together. Don’t know if I’ll be watching next season!

Esull

Posted at 4:09 PM on May 18, 2012

If they don’t bring her back by just putting her in a coma. I will never watch greys anatomy again, just like most of the mark and lexie shippers you have. If they were going to kill her, why couldn’t we at least have had more mark and lexie scenes so we’d have a little closure. But you couldn’t even give us a romantic slexie scene that made us fall in love since season 5. I’m Definitly done with this show unless lexie comes back. Bad move Shonda

dakota

Posted at 4:06 PM on May 18, 2012

ohhhhhhh wish lexie was still here, she was a good good character

kitty

Posted at 3:46 PM on May 18, 2012

i was sooooooo mad that she died!!!!!! i felt so bad for mark tooo i wanted them to get back together sooo bad!!!! :(

BH

Posted at 3:35 PM on May 18, 2012

They shoulve killed off April. She’s SO annoying!

debi

Posted at 2:50 PM on May 18, 2012

I think it was a mistake getting rid of lexie. we have lost to many beloved charaters already. put her in a coma and bring her back

Nuzhat

Posted at 2:30 PM on May 18, 2012

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valentina

Posted at 2:27 PM on May 18, 2012

That scene remind anybody else of Jack and Rose in “Titanic?” Especially when he said they would get married and have kids.
That was the saddest moment of Grey’s EVER, I can’t believe they killed her off. She and Mark should’ve at least been allowed a moment. :/

april

Posted at 1:52 PM on May 18, 2012

I was very disappointed as lexie was one of my favorite characters on Grey’s intrested in how next year will play out if there is a next year!

zulma

Posted at 1:46 PM on May 18, 2012

It was stupid to kill Lexies character in the series, she deserved some hot, steamy storyline with Mark, the should have killed Rachel, i wont see it again. They lost me as a fan

Nikki

Posted at 1:38 PM on May 18, 2012

I’m hoping the same thing I want it all to be one bad dream I love Lexi and Mark they belong together :'(

magdalana

Posted at 1:27 PM on May 18, 2012

OMG!!! it sucks!!! Lexi was the coolest person on that entire show…. I would have been happier with it beingMeridith!!

Mark and Lexie could have their own show!! it really is a bmmer

Kb

Posted at 1:22 PM on May 18, 2012

I hate that Lexie died too! I was really excited for the story line between her and Mark to heat up! May be a Grey’s deal breaker for me! I am hoping that Arzonafell asleep on the plane and that this is all a bad dream! I k ow, wishful thinking.

Meghan

Posted at 1:14 PM on May 18, 2012

A TOTALLY AGREE I REALLY REALLY CRIED THAT IS SO SAD WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?!?!?! I MEAN WHO WOULD DO THAT?!?! :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( :’,( I JUST WANT TO CRY ALL DAY

Jenny

Posted at 12:54 PM on May 18, 2012

I am SO MAD that they killed Lexie off. I was so excited that her and Mark were headed towards each other and were going to get back together, it’d be a good break from the whole Christina and Hunt thing! BIG MISTAKE for them to kill her off. I might not even watch the show anymore!

Chloe

Posted at 12:27 PM on May 18, 2012

They had to kill Lexie. Chyler Leigh decided to leave the show. They couldn’t keep her character alive if she wanted to up and go. She bid out of her contract so they killed her off.

asian brides

Posted at 12:22 PM on May 18, 2012

Unquestionably believe that that you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed whilst other folks think about worries that they just don’t realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , other folks could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

Cindy

Posted at 12:14 PM on May 18, 2012

Very very disappointed they would kill off Lexie….there was so much more they could do with her character….why would you do this!