'Grey's Anatomy' Season Finale: How Do You Feel About The Major Death?

Fri, May 18, 2012 9:17am EDT by 87 Comments
Grey's Anatomy Season Finale 8

Warning: Stop reading if you haven’t watched the eighth season finale of ‘Grey’s Anatomy!’

The May 17 season finale of Grey’s Anatomy was painful to watch — and not only because of Meredith’s (Ellen Pompeo) high-pitched screams of terror that, eventually, only dogs could hear. The episode also featured the shocking death of a beloved character. So which doc joined George (T.R. Knight) in that big operating room in the sky?

The victim ended up being Lexie (Chyler Leigh), who met her untimely end after the team was involved in a plane crash. In arguably the most intense scene Grey’s has delivered in quite some time, Mark (Eric Dane) tried desperately to pick up the wing of the plane that was crushing her.

“Tell Meredith that I love her, and that she was a good sister,” she told him. And after Mark told her he loved her, she replied, “You don’t have to say it just because I’m dying.”

Cue the waterworks. Cue the pain. Cue the fan backlash.

How do you feel about Lexie’s death? Do you think it was a necessary event that will trigger some much-needed changes on the show, or was it a huge mistake that will come back to bite Grey’s in the butt? Watch Lexi’s tragic final scene below, then drop a comment with your reactions!

Loading video...

— Andy Swift

More Grey’s Anatomy:

1. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Scoop: Will April Finally Lose Her Virginity Tonight?
  2. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Derek’s Sister Returns
  3. Katherine Heigl Should Never Return To ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

Rosie

Posted at 12:11 PM on May 18, 2012

I am done with this show. They kill of the wrtong characters and keep the annoying (like April). Lexie’s character was a great fit for the Grey’s family.

yelladog4

Posted at 12:05 PM on May 18, 2012

Very disappointed it was Lexie

Eddie

Posted at 11:57 AM on May 18, 2012

BAD MOVE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! No way kill off Lexi; too many other people you could have offed, like first Alice, whining brat, then there;s Webber, his wife, Owen, Jackson just to name a few. A deep coma and bring her back next season. BAD MOVE ON SH’S PART.

Nicole

Posted at 11:42 AM on May 18, 2012

I don’t understand why they would have killed lexie!! Like everyone else said, she gave mer the family she needed, FINALLY told mark she loves him and excelling in her field!! YOU DON’T KILL SOMEONE LIKE THAT! I seriously never cried that much since O’Mally died, and that’s saying something. I hope mark and merideth pull through ok too. Even though I highly doubt it (especially from the tweet shonda made on twitter), they better bring lex back :( RIP LITTLE GREY <3

Lee J.

Posted at 11:40 AM on May 18, 2012

I think having lexie die is a big mistake. i could think of other caracters i wish would die

Jay

Posted at 11:37 AM on May 18, 2012

This was a big mistake. Lexi shouldnt have died. There was hope of her and Mark getting back together again. Lexi was the best. She was America’s little sister. I am very upset about the demise of Lexi!!

Sharon

Posted at 11:34 AM on May 18, 2012

It was a big mistake to kill of Lexie. I hope over the summer they find a mirical to bring her back. Shd brought a freshness to the show and they where just starting to give meraith the family she alway wanted. They needto rethink this death.

jayme

Posted at 11:33 AM on May 18, 2012

WORST SHOW EVER!!!! I hope the writers are smart enough to turn this into a dream scene because without Lexi Grey’s will suck!!!!!! I hope that you guys are smart enough to see what the fans want and not what you think will get ratings!!!! Dumb Stupid MOVE!!!!

Nico

Posted at 11:23 AM on May 18, 2012

I hate that they killed Lexie! She was Lexipedia! Her character was one of a kind and Chyler Leigh made Lexie come to life. I watched as Lexie and Meredith couldn’t stand each other, but grew to love one another and take care of each other as sisters. I was happy Meredith had some family. Lexie supported the growth of Meredith’s character from a gloomy, dark, & twisty character, to a loving & comforting person. Now all she has is Derek and Zola. I think the storyline would have made way more sense to kill Arizona off, leaving Callie and her daughter to deal with loss (Callie talking about being so happy) and for Karev to become the new ‘go to’ Peds doctor! Staying at Seattle Grace and not taking the offer from Johns Hopkins (his voicemail saying that he needs to know what its like for Arizona to not hold his hand). Also for a storyline for Callie raising a child on her own (a story that most American mothers can relate to). I know Shonda wrote this finale not knowing which actors would renew their contracts (Patrick & Ellen may not have) so she gave them a way out of Seattle by killing Lexie. Meredith saying that the only person she would have left in Seattle was Lexie, if her and Derek moved to Boston.

I really do not know if i will continue watching Grey’s. The characters that have essence (George, Izzie, Lexie, Dr Burke, Addison) are written out. While the annoying characters (April Kepner, Owen Hunt, and Arizona) are still here.

Juliet

Posted at 11:20 AM on May 18, 2012

Lexie was my all time favorite character. I was absolutely dying for her and Mark to be together again because he is definitely my second favorite. When I saw a preview for the finale I had a mini heart attack thinking “Lexie and Mark are on the plane.” then I thought it was silly to get too worked up because their love story was on a cliff hanger. When watching the season finale and realizing Lexie was the one who was going to die I couldn’t stop the tears. I cried everytime try mentioned she was dead and I still can’t understand why they would choose her to die. She will be missed on the show :(

stephanie

Posted at 11:20 AM on May 18, 2012

i agree with bessie! i think i have given up on this greys!!!!!like why the fuck did lexie die????now her and mark will never be together, this is all so upsetting! i have decided to put it behind me!so annoyed.

stephanie

Posted at 11:18 AM on May 18, 2012

i absolutely hated the finale!!!!!!it was tooo damn painful!i dont know what to feeeeeel, i am tooo angryyy to feeel anything!

cate

Posted at 11:17 AM on May 18, 2012

leave*

cate

Posted at 11:15 AM on May 18, 2012

How can they kill the one of the few who was not in this show for a long time and opposing to many of them who will obviously live due to offers she was the only one with work left to do but worst the only one whose loved one was staying also and even worst after she told him and they were coming back on track, i dare to say it was the worst death those stupid directors could have chosen

JoAnn

Posted at 11:13 AM on May 18, 2012

No Lexie was not the one that needed to die. If the writers want to save face and continue their ratings they should write the story line for next season as follows: Lexie did not die as appeared she went into a deep coma when helped arrived they got her to a hospital and she was saved. Then put Mark and Lexie back together

Bessie

Posted at 11:12 AM on May 18, 2012

SO SO disappointed!!! They should NOT have killed Lexi off!!! I mean, kill off the damn pilot but NOT a huge character. Lexi was just having a terrific relationship with her sister and her & Mark WERE prob gonna reunite soon. Also, look at the Neuroscience Derek was teaching her. She had great potentional. I may not watch next season. I really might not. She was my fave character becasue she was so genuine and nieve and hopelessly in love. Let it be a dream or something. I think it will kill the show. Next season will prob be the SERIES finale….. Good Riddance!

Sue

Posted at 11:01 AM on May 18, 2012

Yes…after this terrible ending to the season they had better let Mark pull through. There is no reason the bunch of them were in scrubs….only Dr. Oz does that…

Sue

Posted at 10:59 AM on May 18, 2012

No…you should Not have killed off Lexie…bad move..

Natalie

Posted at 10:55 AM on May 18, 2012

This was in the top saddest episodes including ‘Season 6 Finale Part 1+2,Season 2 finale, Season 5 finale’…I can’t believe they would kill off Lexie, she is my all time favourite charachter. It was always George but they killed him off and now they kill off Lexie. Her charachter was bright, funny, sweet and had a great future ahead of her. I’ll aways remember her.

Julia

Posted at 10:47 AM on May 18, 2012

I honestly thought the entire episode was a ‘dream scene’. Why on earth did they all board the plane in their ‘scrubs’?? Would any doctor really do that?! It made what should have been a tense, tearful episode a bit of a joke really, trained doctors stuck in the forest, in their scrubs and not one of them thought of at least trying to get a signal on their phones! Sorry guys but this seasons finale was such a let down for me, my only hope now is that Mark will survive……………

kmack

Posted at 10:45 AM on May 18, 2012

I think they made a terrible mistake, should of gone with Christina, Arizona, or Kali. The show could do without them. I loved Lexi-she is amazing!

Ashley

Posted at 10:37 AM on May 18, 2012

I was quite upset that Lexie died! I feel her and Mark’s story wasn’t finished. They should have picked someone else I was greatly disappointed.

Chiara

Posted at 10:17 AM on May 18, 2012

Lexie was one of my favourite characters. i can not believe this. shonda you made a big mistake

Seriously?

Posted at 10:11 AM on May 18, 2012

I have to say I was pretty much devastated when she took her last breath. Mark’s look of agony was killing me and I was hoping with all my heart that his strength would take hold and he would move that wing. I am glad he told her he loved her, but that only was the last straw before the tears starting flowing. I love them together and I think that it was a HUGE mistake to end that relationship by killing her off.

chocoangel

Posted at 9:59 AM on May 18, 2012

How could they kill off Lexie??? i think its seriously a big mistake…one of the main reasons i still watch Grey’s is because of her.