'Grey's Anatomy' Season Finale: How Do You Feel About The Major Death?

Fri, May 18, 2012 9:17am EDT by 87 Comments
Grey's Anatomy Season Finale 8

Warning: Stop reading if you haven’t watched the eighth season finale of ‘Grey’s Anatomy!’

The May 17 season finale of Grey’s Anatomy was painful to watch — and not only because of Meredith’s (Ellen Pompeo) high-pitched screams of terror that, eventually, only dogs could hear. The episode also featured the shocking death of a beloved character. So which doc joined George (T.R. Knight) in that big operating room in the sky?

The victim ended up being Lexie (Chyler Leigh), who met her untimely end after the team was involved in a plane crash. In arguably the most intense scene Grey’s has delivered in quite some time, Mark (Eric Dane) tried desperately to pick up the wing of the plane that was crushing her.

“Tell Meredith that I love her, and that she was a good sister,” she told him. And after Mark told her he loved her, she replied, “You don’t have to say it just because I’m dying.”

Cue the waterworks. Cue the pain. Cue the fan backlash.

How do you feel about Lexie’s death? Do you think it was a necessary event that will trigger some much-needed changes on the show, or was it a huge mistake that will come back to bite Grey’s in the butt? Watch Lexi’s tragic final scene below, then drop a comment with your reactions!

Loading video...

— Andy Swift

More Grey’s Anatomy:

1. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Scoop: Will April Finally Lose Her Virginity Tonight?
  2. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Derek’s Sister Returns
  3. Katherine Heigl Should Never Return To ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

dee montgomery

Posted at 5:38 PM on September 30, 2012

I was a huge fan until Izzy left and George died and I stopped watching.However I missed Mark and I liked Lexie so I started watching again.I kept hoping Izzy would come back also.This time you guys crossed a line and the show will absolutely never be the same.At least there was hope that my favorite Izzy would c ome back.This time you have made so Mark and Lexie can never come back.There are to many other ways you could have gone with there story line.I am sure you have lost a lot more fans than just myself.Make it an illusion and bring at least one of back and grab Izzy while yyou are at it.B ring some life back.

Dave

Posted at 10:52 AM on June 7, 2012

Awwwww!!! A character died !!! Get a life !!!

Deni

Posted at 8:46 AM on June 3, 2012

I am NEVER watching Grey’s Anatomy again.
They could have taken her off the show some other way. Lexie didn’t have to die.

Mar

Posted at 2:39 AM on June 2, 2012

No, no, no. This is a very bad decision. Lexy can`t die, she and Mark were the only interesting characters left.

Yvo

Posted at 3:57 PM on May 31, 2012

Too bad it had to end like this between Mark en Lexie.
They need to be together. Bring her back, make it someone’s delusion. Let them be happy ever after !

Dar

Posted at 6:05 PM on May 30, 2012

not even interest in what happens after this Mark & Lexie were the only interesting thing left . Such a let down after 8 seasons

littlemoon

Posted at 7:47 PM on May 27, 2012

Wow….do you have any idea how many fans you have just lost with this season finale. If you wanted to bring up the ratings, introduce new characters, don’t kill off the ones who actually brought in the ratings. I am so disappointed that you would kill off a character’s story line without any closure of the pending relationship between Sloan and Lexie that was unfolding. By killing off Lexie…you pretty much ended the eight season with a slow painful death of the show.

Marlene

Posted at 8:51 PM on May 26, 2012

Lexie and Mark have to be together. Killing Lexie off
Will kill the true love that Mark and Lexie need to play out
Bring her back. Make it someone’s delusion from the
crash. Lexie and Mark need to get married and have bay cousins
For Zola!

Daniel

Posted at 4:54 AM on May 26, 2012

I feel bad about taking Lexie off from the show, I was expecting her to get back with Mark not right after she made that statement about her feelings, but soon after, anyway. Nevertheless I do trust the producer of this show, she had always designed the show in a way that kept my interest alive, so, I don’t blame her for taking Lexie off. Congratulations to Chyler Leigh for a great part!

Becky

Posted at 11:24 PM on May 25, 2012

I think it was a mistake to kill Lexie. Of course, I probably shouldn’t chime in with my opinion. I quit watching the show last year because it was getting repetitive and boring. I didn’t like last year’s shenanigans so I haven’t watched this year. This is a show which, in my opinion, has outlived its prime.

Grant

Posted at 5:34 AM on May 25, 2012

Ridiculous ending! They kill off Lexy in the first 15 minutes of the finale episode and then we have to watch utter crap for next 30 minutes where it finally ends randomly in the middle of nowhere. If they’re going to kill off a main character they should have at least developed her story a bit more and then ended it with some resolution. Very poor writing!