Jessica Sanchez: Why I'm Frustrated With 'American Idol'

Thu, May 17, 2012 4:40pm EDT by 27 Comments
Jessica Sanchez American Idol 2012

Jessica Sanchez reveals why she’s nervous about the outcome of eliminations May 17 and what she’d change about the ‘American Idol’ process!

American Idol has been quite the vehicle for Jessica Sanchez to get her name out to the masses — but even though she’s been really successful on the show, she still would change the way producers pick the songs she’s supposed to sing.

“It was kind of frustrating, because you are trying to win a competition and people are like ‘here try this song,'” the 16-year-old San Diego native explained to reporters after the performances May 16.

She added, “We had to sing Billy Joel one week and I was like, ‘Who is that?’ But he’s an amazing artist and we seemed to pull that off so I was trying to put my self in that element again.”

Do you think the artists should always be able to choose their own songs, or do you like that producers and judges pick selections for the singers?

Sound off below!

More Idol:

1. Recap: It’s Hollie Cavanagh’s Time To Go
  2. Skylar Laine: Why I’m Relieved I’m Off ‘Idol’
  3. Results: The Most Shocking Elimination Yet?

diet plan

Posted at 11:49 AM on June 6, 2012

You’re truly a excellent webmaster. The site loading speed is incredible. It kind of feels that you’re doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a excellent job on this subject!

Laura

Posted at 12:10 AM on May 23, 2012

Today I watched Jessica singing for the first time on the News channel. I have never seen or heard her before. I think she deserves to win. Strong voice, humble disposition, friendly and approachable, never stumbled in her tune or lyrics. So even if she had made those remarks, it does not even show. She just sang so well, whatever song that she had to sing. Yes, no doubt, some people doesn’t like that sort of remarks…but it doesn’t really matter, because even if she did not know the artists of the song she had to sing….she just did it better. I am in Singapore and I watched in awe.

Red Bill

Posted at 8:44 PM on May 21, 2012

The way I see it, you just can’t win it.
Everybody’s in it for their own gain, you can’t please ‘em all.
There’s always somebody calling you down. . . –Joni Mitchell

>> I bet Jessica doesn’t know who Joni Mitchell is either.

Jen

Posted at 5:26 PM on May 21, 2012

Jessca, you are my IDOL, you have a wonderful voice. I always lookforward to hear you sing. You will get my vote all the way from London England.
I cann wait to buy your albums.

Love
Jenny Lewis

benz

Posted at 5:11 AM on May 21, 2012

This article and this website is full of crap! What happened to true and honest journalism? Why would you take words out of somebody else’s mouth and tell the world as if it is the hard fact. Shame on you writer and website owner! You should both get a f***ing life! You are trying to destroy a 16-year old’s dream of making it out there by herself. Maybe you’re referring to the most arrogant Elise Testone. Who, probably, just like you can’t seem to move forward in her career. Look at what you’re writing and the website you’re using as a vehicle, so pathetic. LOL.

jenna

Posted at 11:31 PM on May 20, 2012

i’m frustrated with this site, they’re making up stories. jessica is very polite and humble. she’s a good student. she will never say anything like this. show us a video to prove that she did make those claims.

The B

Posted at 11:35 AM on May 19, 2012

WHO is responsible for the following media on your site? Brad?

American Idol 2012 Jessica Sanchez very upset over crappy song choices & more. According to a new report from Hollywood Life,American Idol 2012 finalist Jessica Sanchez recently chatted with the press,and basically told them, these damn song choices are making her upset,because she’s really trying to win this damn show,and they’re tripping her up.

The B

Posted at 11:33 AM on May 19, 2012

We is responsible for the following media found on your site?

spylogic3

Posted at 5:29 PM on May 18, 2012

You should check out the STUDIO version of “My All” on YouTube …

Veronica Faulkner

Posted at 3:44 PM on May 18, 2012

I agree with you. I have voted continuosly since she was almost eliminated, and I haven’t stopped yet. Go Jessica!!

Roberta

Posted at 3:17 PM on May 18, 2012

Jessica may not know who some of the artist are, and that is okay, she is 16, and many of the older singers that came before my time I did know either.

She may not have known them, but with her skills and talent she nailed them each time. She is very gifted singer and with time and maturity she will only get better.

Jessica you channel that frustration into power and determination, so you can come out a winner. That which tests you perfects you, not pain no gain.

bre

Posted at 12:16 PM on May 18, 2012

OMG JESSICA PLEASE DONT WIN I cant stand her!!!! she’s annoying to me,even tho she reminds me of me tho.

josejose

Posted at 12:08 PM on May 18, 2012

ask my 16 year old if she know billy joel, most of 16 yr olds wont know him at all, its not their era.

rose doha

Posted at 5:27 AM on May 18, 2012

Jessica she had admitted that some of her favorite singers are the ff.: W Houston (RIP), M Jackson (RIP), M Carey, C Dion, Beyonce, Etta James,Jennifer Holiday, Jennifer Hudson.She doesn’t mean anything if she is not very familiar of B Joel. She is a good student ( according to mentor J Iovine), and accept any criticisms gracefully. She said, ” he;s amazing artist and that they we’re able to pull that off (ambivalent feeling)& then she is able tp adjust “to try this song” ( from the start up to now). Anyhow, Let focus to support, campaign and vote for her to win the AI11. God bless all of us. Thank You…..

Alex

Posted at 3:27 AM on May 18, 2012

It’s a competition, so there has to be challenges. Having the singers pick their own songs all the time wouldn’t be challenging enough for them. It’s all about can they pull it off even if they’re out of their comfort zone or unfamiliar with the music…? They need to be kept on their toes lol.

ezj

Posted at 1:14 AM on May 18, 2012

This my suggestion: The audience must each be given a bag of tomatoes before entering the studio. It’s not for the contestants but for the judges who make stupid comments. They were supposed to be judges and not campaigners for their favorite idol.

Thomas James Norman

Posted at 7:47 PM on May 17, 2012

has different styles. Phillip stuck to ‘my own style’ version of the songs that played well to seduce Jennifer Lopez’s femininity and his current supporters. However, this will be certainly difficult for an untested singer to get more contracts from other industry producers- other than American Idol- should he win the competition. I see his being stubborn as a strategy to sing songs within his comfort zone only. His rearranging the melodies is a way to complement his limited vocal skills. Doing this, the judges failed to see his singing flaws and have always praised Phillip’s rendition to be unique, making the songs his own. Reviewing all his performances, he had always shrugged his shoulder-up, flashed his signature ‘girl-tickling look” and squinted as he struggled to camouflage a high note. The judges mentioned his being off sync with the melody. What appalled me was their incapacity to dig into the rationale for Phillip’s stubbornness. Originality or Pretentious?

Joshua Ledet can growl and be crazy on stage. It’s like watching Fantasia all over. He is surely a great gospel vocalist Unfortunately, AI needs a winner that will do well after the competition. Joshua’s over killing the song and stage flamboyance can tickle the judges; but like Fantasia, unless he manages to control his growling and howling, stay off like a church choir’s lead singer and finesse his overtly 1950’s dramatic stage performances to appeal to a wider market demographic, he may still win AI and that’s it.

Jessica Sanchez’s singing skills have been flawless in nearly all the episodes. She has maturity as a singer and performer. What’s incredible about Jessica is her capacity to take criticisms and suggestions, and follow them with such precision- as she had done with ‘Everybody Has A Dream,’ (Coach- P. Diddy) and ‘I Will Love You,’ (Coach- Mary J. Blige). The problem Jessica faced last night was not a fault of her own but by those who chose the songs for her. I learned also that her throat was hurting. Nevertheless, she sang better than Phillip and Joshua. She gave a stellar interpretation of ‘I Don’t To Miss A Thing. I agree with Lopez’s noting that Jessica sounded like Michael Jackson. Although she could have delivered ‘My All’ way better, she blended tenderness and her singing skills without the growling. Thus, making this performance breathtaking.

Leah

Posted at 7:04 PM on May 17, 2012

I love Jessica’s voice, but if she didn’t know who Billy Joel was before she had to sing his music I don’t know what to think…

;)

Jill

Posted at 5:42 PM on May 17, 2012

The whole season should be allowed to be chosen by the contestants. A true artist can really sing “The Phonebook”. You take Colton’s and Phillips out there that think outside the box and make it more than just a great song.

lillybug

Posted at 5:42 PM on May 17, 2012

I think the format is just find. The contestants should be challenged so they get out of their comfort zones. Jessica has an amazing voice, but she sings the lyrics, she doesn’t sing the story.

gbtw

Posted at 6:23 PM on May 17, 2012

she only “sings the lyrics” when she has sh!t songs to choose from… well, i take that back. the song she chose last night she did pretty much just sing the lyrics. but, she can really tell the story, too— it is frustrating when she doesn’t get a good pick to sing though, b/c then it is just a great voice doing mediocre disconnected work. they picked WRETCHED songs for her last night. absolutely wretched— michael jackson, and mariah? did they want her to lose? nobody can sing those guys’ works… it’s not often that you see jessica struggle. that song was too high. her voice shines when it’s deeper and singing with character, not that high pitched stuff that nobody but mariah can pull off. in any case, jessica shined when she sang beyonce and that stuttering song, and she connected.

Iris

Posted at 5:36 PM on May 17, 2012

This title is misleading

SJB

Posted at 5:34 PM on May 17, 2012

I’m on the line, here. They *do* get to pick *some* of their own songs. Even last night they did one of their own. In the real world, unless you write your own, you’re going to have situations where you try out stuff you’ve never done before, and being able to pull off some of that other stuff is what will make you or break you.

Absolute picks, though, are tough. They should at least have options. Let me pick one of 3 or 4, and I can make something happen. Stick me with a stinker, and… guess what?… I’m gonna stink.

Greg

Posted at 5:33 PM on May 17, 2012

How can they not put out California Dreamin for purchase?!!! It was sung great by all for of the final4.

Jill

Posted at 5:10 PM on May 17, 2012

I think the contestants should be able to choose their own songs to show their own personalities.

racky23

Posted at 5:16 PM on May 17, 2012

You are right jill

abada

Posted at 6:02 PM on May 17, 2012

I think you are right Jill.. There maybe a theme should the producers really insist, but at the end of the day, it should still be the singer’s choice of song..