A South Carolina mom is fighting for survival after an attack of flesh-eating bacteria sent her back to the hospital just 13 hours after giving birth to her twins.
Lana Kuykendall, who is a paramedic, noticed a strange and rapidly spreading red and black bruise on her leg after going through labor. She raced to the hospital with her husband Darren to have surgery for necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating bacteria. This is the second reported case of the horrific infection.
“She’s still critical,” Darren told GreenvilleOnline.com. “It’s been a nightmare.”
“And the longer she sat there, the bigger that spot got. It was initially the size of a 3-by-5 index card. But it got bigger and bigger. It moved a quarter of an inch in half an hour. Then the high-risk OB physician had a suspicion of what it was,” he said in the report.
Doctors removed the dead, infected flesh to stop the bacteria from spreading in the 36-year-old’s leg.
The couple had welcomed twins, Abigail and Ian, on May 7. The delivery went smoothly and the babies are fine, said the report.
According to the National Necrotizing Fasciitis Foundation, the infection often occurs in an arm or leg after a minor trauma or surgery. It can occur for a host of reasons, including after a C-section or natural childbirth.
The most recent and notable case of necrotizing fasciitis has been Aimee Copeland‘s, the 24-year-old Georgia graduate student who is suffering from the infecation after a receiving a cut from a homemade zip line. Aimee had her left leg amputated and doctors may have to remove more appendages.
– Lorraine Chow
More HollyBaby news: