Amber Portwood Wants To Join The Military — New Report

Wed, May 16, 2012 4:09pm EDT by 18 Comments
Amber Portwood Army

The troubled ‘Teen Mom’ cast member is thinking of joining the army to get back on the right track!

Now that Amber Portwood is back in jail for missing her drug court appointment, a new report says that the reality star is trying to get her life back in order by joining the army.

The 21-year-old has been telling friends she is considering enlisting, according to a report from Reality Weekly.

Her brother, Shawn, has encouraged her to join. “I’m encouraging her 100 percent all the way,” he said to the publication.

The Army veteran wants his sister to get an education, like him, through the G.I. Bill. “I told her to hold off on college and try to get into the military, which she wants to do anyway. Then, once her service is up, she will have her college paid for, like I do right now.”

Her felony charges might deny her application, but the source from the magazine said that Amber is going to “bust her ass” to prove that she has gone the straight-and-narrow so she can provide better for her daughter, Leah, 3.

HollyMoms, do you think the joining the army is a good idea for Amber?

– Lorraine Chow

More HollyBaby news:

1. Amber Portwood’s Embarrassing Mug Shot
  2. ‘Teen Mom’ Star Amber Portwood Thrown Back In Jail
  3. Amber Portwood Lies About $280,000 Salary & Must Reimburse Housing Company

Melissa

Posted at 9:49 PM on May 19, 2012

I joined the national guard last year and thought like you, the only people who join are ones that need money and have no family support. I was wrong. I joined because my husband made enough money to support our family that I didnt need to work but at 28 years old I was not content to be a stay at home mom and he didnt respect me going to school and working part time as a contributor to the household. The military was a way that I could feel respect for myself and what I was doing and so my kids could be proud of me. I bunked with 54 girls at Ft. Jackson and only 10 of them were using the military as a means to a career, these were smart educated people not swamp people trying to pull themselves out of the mud. A handful of the girls came from rich families and wanted to show their parents they can stand on their own feet. One of the girls had a masters degree and turned down a job at the world health organization in Switzerland because she is raising her niece and wanted to get her student loans paid by the Army. Dont make a generalizing statement it just shows how little you know.

Jessi

Posted at 4:18 PM on May 18, 2012

Ok, what the hell is going on under her eyes? And no one cares about this thing anymore. She is disgusting and needs to go away.

Sizie

Posted at 9:06 PM on May 17, 2012

Ahh I think it is too late. Amber is a mess and always will be. Trash never seems to be able to do a long lasting rehab. Oh well. Another reality no body like Kate Gosselin, Snookie, and Kim Kardashian. Got well known for bad behaviors, never good.

Marilyn

Posted at 4:44 PM on May 17, 2012

Gary should man up and join the military he’s a big fat lazy guy who needs to lose weight and gain some muscles, he should be ashamed of himself.
HE needs to take care of his family.
I DON’T KNOW WHY AMBER EVER GOT WITH HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

tiffy

Posted at 4:18 PM on May 17, 2012

they would whip her into shape, but they don’t take people with records like hers. Plus she has done NOTHING to prove she is trying to clean up her life. Lying to the courts most likely because she was going to fail a drug test :( Military also does not take people who fail drug tests… Sorry Amber your going to have to clean up your life the old fashion way. JUST STOP BEING SUCH A MESS!

Rusty Shackleford

Posted at 1:16 PM on May 17, 2012

They should let the WHORE join. She could give the enemy herpes the only bad thing is that she might everyone’s food.

c

Posted at 12:01 PM on May 17, 2012

yeah right.. she’s too fat to get accepted into the military

MilitaryWife

Posted at 10:51 AM on May 17, 2012

As a military wife, i’m glad I have one less thing to worry about because this will never happen. If she can actually pull herself together and drag herself out of bed or off the couch to go to the recruitment office. The Officer will laugh her out of his office. If perhaps he’s feeling terribly bored and wants to entertain her she first has to get through high school.
Now if by some insane chance she actually is able to enlist one must remember that the military is about conformity. She has to do as she is told, when she’s told to do it without question. Something we all know she has difficulty with.
Even so this article was good for a laugh.

Ck

Posted at 8:06 AM on May 17, 2012

Here we go again, reading about some trailor trash made celeb still making headlines.. Yeah leave your kid again might as well you left her several times for jail due to fighting…… Might as well fight for good cause! Whatever…. Take kim kardashian with you ha!

Mia

Posted at 9:50 PM on May 16, 2012

Don’t you need a HS diploma or some sort of equivalency to join the military?

And her brother constantly bad mouthed the military on his blog thing the last time I checked it a few months ago. Her brother seems as crazy as her except without the drug addiction.

Kim

Posted at 8:07 PM on May 16, 2012

Since the most important part of the story is Leah, you may want to get her name right.

Teen Mother

Posted at 7:03 PM on May 16, 2012

I think that this would be great for her. I don’t know about the single parent but my friend he joined and he was in a bad spot in his life. He got his life back together and he has two handsome sons. He was only in for a year. This I think would really be great her her. Hoping she gets in.

K Griffin

Posted at 6:40 PM on May 16, 2012

Hollywoodlife.com made a mistake…Leah not Leigh. Second of all, the Army would not let her join cuz she has a criminal record!

Army wife

Posted at 4:40 PM on May 16, 2012

Hate to break it to her but she does not meet the eligibility requirements to get in! Single parents are no longer allowed to enlist nor is anyone with a recent drug arrest

disco

Posted at 5:13 PM on May 16, 2012

Shes not to sharp, is she?

Seth

Posted at 8:51 PM on May 16, 2012

she’s not a single parent doo doo bird, Gary has full custody of Leah. The record, they make exceptions everyday, and they can. If they didn’t they would not have anyone in. People that enlist in the military are people that are poor have bad grades, don’t want to or can’t go to college, don’t have talent in any one particular area, it’s not about being patriotic, it’s about eating.

Casey

Posted at 6:54 AM on May 17, 2012

Wow no not at all. I’m in the Air Force, I’ve never been poor and I’ve had consistent good grades throughout school. I joined for the opportunities it provides. Do you know anyone in the military? I’m amazed that you would even say something so insulting to those who fight for your rights. By the way I did go to college. You need to get your facts checked or better yet, don’t post about things that you know nothing about.

Casey

Posted at 6:57 AM on May 17, 2012

And by the way, why don’t you go to Bethesda Hospital in DC and share your thought provoked opinions with the double amputees and other disabled vets. I’m sure they’ll completely agree with your statements.