'Smash' Star Megan Hilty Reveals Ivy's Fate & Previews Season 2

Tue, May 15, 2012 2:06pm EST by 47 Comments

How do you feel about Ivy after last night’s finale? Megan gives HollywoodLife.com the scoop on what’s to come.

Between (briefly) battling drug addiction, getting her heart broken and watching her dream role go to another girl, Megan Hilty‘s Ivy had a rough go of it on the first season of Smash – and her drama culminated on the May 14 season finale, which ended with her about to down an entire bottle of pills. Fortunately, Megan assures HollywoodLife.com that Ivy’s not going anywhere. In fact, she’s got big dreams for the blonde bombshell in season two!

“She lives,” Megan told me when we chatted at a recent Dr. Scholl’s Sole Space “Get Up & Go!” event in NYC. “I actually have a meeting with the new show runner soon [Josh Safran] soon, so I’ll find out exactly what he has planned for me.”

We won’t find out what Josh has in store for Ivy until Smash returns in early 2013 — I know, I know — but in the meantime, Megan has her character’s future all mapped out.

“I would really love to see Ivy get it together,” she told me. “I’d love her to have something she can really enjoy without feeling threatened by anything or anyone. And I’d like for her to get a really cool boyfriend — and not someone who’s attached to one of her friends. I’d really love it if he wasn’t in the business and he tried to take care of her. She wouldn’t know how to handle it!”

But Megan is thinking about more than just Ivy’s love life. She also wants to get her career back on track — and there’s only person who can help her do it.

“I’m starting a campaign to get Allison Janney on the show,” Megan revealed. “She can do no wrong, and she can sing and dance. She’s also the greatest person on the planet, so to have her on the show would be win-win for everybody. She could be Ivy’s manager, and that’s me being selfish, because then we’d have all of our scenes together.”

Now that Megan’s shared her hopes for season two, it’s time to share yours: What would you like to see Ivy do next? Should she try to patch things up with Derek, or find someone new? Drop your thoughts and theories in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

Pina

Posted at 8:21 AM on September 1, 2012

The real reason Why Derek cast Karen for the Role is because She kelt a Sense of Mystery by being unavailable to him. Karen was Never swayed by His Advances and it Goes back to old Thing of Men Not Quite getting what they Want in Life. Ivy was easy, Inlike Karen.

Pina

Posted at 8:22 AM on September 1, 2012

Sorry about the typos but im writing from a German iPad!

Pina

Posted at 8:32 AM on September 1, 2012

Merry2

Posted at 7:43 PM on June 18, 2012

Love Ms. McPhee and she has a great voice,but the Ivy character should have been Marilyn. As much as I disliked the character of Ivy she really nailed the “Wolf” number at Josh’s apartment!

Ellhc

Posted at 1:34 PM on June 15, 2012

Karen was the right choice, she deserved the role <3

pauline fisher

Posted at 5:11 PM on June 3, 2012

I

Emily

Posted at 2:30 PM on May 24, 2012

I would LOVE if allison Janney came onto smash! I love her from the west wing!! :)

Bree

Posted at 12:27 AM on May 24, 2012

Hi Everybody!
I believe, that my timing may be off in this converation, however, I can’t believe some of the comments I am reading. So I am compelled to share my own thoughts. When I read these comments, I realize that some people take this opportunity to attack the actresses playing the parts, and not the actual characters. Katherine Mcphee and Megan Hilty are amazing talents with there own strengths and opportunities. I think the biggest problem with this show was the writing, and editing, The storyline was incohesive and lacked conviction and reality. There were too many things going, which made it extremely hard to focus. However, I absolutely loved the show, and the concept. I believe with the new show runner (yay Josh!) and the removal of the characters Dev, Frank, Ellis and Michael will rejuvenate the show. Hopefully they will be able to expand on the broadway aspect and have a better focus and direction. Of course the show is a musical drama, so there will be lot’s of twist and turns. But please don’t forget that this show has Steven Speilberg’s name on it, and is a reason to stick around and watch the changes that are sure to come.

I myself agree that as for Marilyn, Ivy Lynn was amazing, and was stunned by the fact that Karen was cast in the end. But one thing that the writers have obvisouly done well is capturing us all in the show. We grabbed a hold of these character’s formed our opinions. We were all affected, positively or negatively, by the finale, And that is what great show’s do.

So in conclusion, I can’t wait to she SMASH return and what new and exciting episodes they have!

SMASHFAN

Posted at 11:25 AM on August 11, 2012

Hard to focus with too much going on? This is not rocket science! Just loved the show, the talent, and the music – nice to see quality programming is still alive on a major network with so much junk offered – keep up the good work and can’t wait for Season 2!

Bree

Posted at 11:38 PM on August 11, 2012

Obviously it’s not rocket science, you tool! Like I said the show was amazing. but anyone with a brain can see inconsistencies in the show.

Sheyla

Posted at 7:20 AM on May 22, 2012

Karen deserved the chance and I think she did it amazing. She is the main character… It is easy to see that… Even on the show’s banner she appears on top of everyone…

Emma

Posted at 5:17 AM on May 21, 2012

Portia….You really didn’t get the show did you? And you clearly don’t understand what good acting is.

Guy

Posted at 1:20 AM on May 20, 2012

My adult daughter and I love Smash. The whole concept is something we enjoy. When we are in New York or London or anywhere there is theater we go. We also like McPhee. Critics complain about the side stories but we like them. We are glad the show was renewed and can’t wait to see what conniving thing Ivy will do next. Possibly use the pills on Karen.. The finale was great! McPhee nailed it. I ordered the soundtrack and look forward to next year. Lighten up everyone. It is a TV show and good one at that!

Portia

Posted at 9:01 PM on May 19, 2012

Karen is far and away the better actress for the part. She conveys a sense of strenth and conviction and fragility that make the characer real and engaging. Ivy has talent but doesn’t know who she is. She’s calculating and opportunistic and does almost nothing that is spontaneous or deeply felt. The alcohol and drugs have blunted her judgment and her affect.They are both excellent in the parts they play but Karen is the better Marilyn.
BTW Derek is not Ivy’s boyfriend and never was. That is purely illusion. She slept th him to get the part. He maintains a wall between his art and his life and sleeps with anyone who’s willing without giving it much thought at all.

zwr

Posted at 12:41 AM on June 21, 2012

did you even watch the show.. youre talking like youve never even seen it. ivy is by far better.

Lae

Posted at 1:36 PM on May 19, 2012

I like both girls Ivy and Karen. The problem was one housed the body and expertise, the other housed (Norma Jean). At the end the director had to decicde which one he wanted the audience to know. He also knew why the other one failed. They should of use them both. Ivy could have been the show buz version. Karen could have played the Norma Jean roles. And at the end thay both could of acted as mirror images and sung the finale as a duet. Truth be told I don’t think they knew who they wanted. Karens charecter draws the audience in with her inicents, Ivy’s charecter is what u would expect for broadway. Both would of worked well it boils down to what do u want your end product to be. The director never FULLY expres what he was looking for. I hope Ivy and Karen get their dreams and hopes . That the men in theirs lifes know how lucky they and treasure and protect them.

twd

Posted at 11:29 AM on May 19, 2012

I watched the pilot episode of smash because of Katherine Mcphee, but it was Megan Hilty who blew me away, the instant she did her little number. And it was the anticipation of watching her outstanding performance that made me stick with this show.,I agree with most of the comments her Karen’s performance are flat and mediocre, it just does’nt move me, and her getting the role of Marily in the end seemed forced to me and inconsistent . The previous writer really did messed up this show, no wonder she got replaced.

Charlie

Posted at 4:44 AM on May 18, 2012

GeronimoX,
I think the point people are missing is, no Ivy is not so innocent as Marilyn initially was, but she is an actress! And Marilyn didn’t have so much innocence later on, and if she did it was about the same amount as Ivy- and anyway Ivy is an actress! She can act the role, people don’t get cast in roles cause they are exactly the same in real life! (if so my career so far would not have involved playing a 17th century prostitute straight after playing a deranged young girl and then an upper class aristocrat)
The difference being that Karen is not a strong actress and cannot get that Marilyn vibe as much as Ivy who is a very strong actress, and does a LOT of research, which is needed.

GeronimoX

Posted at 7:15 AM on May 17, 2012

In the early drafts of the series, they wanted to write a new musical every seaeson and see if it could really make it to the stage. I hope they’ll stick with it and start a new musical next season, because I’m afraid there won’t be enough room for original songs in any other way… And than it will become Glee 2.0, IMO

My two bits in the whole Karen vs Ivy debate.
Ivy has no class and no sense of innocence like Marilyn did, but the Blond wig doesn’t really fit Karen.

Charlie

Posted at 6:29 AM on May 17, 2012

Louie, I think you are slightly deluded.
That ‘overweight diva’ is slimmer than Marilyn Monroe actually was in real life! Karen was way too skinny for marilyn and her voice is just way too poppy for a musical, and she doesn’t feel and act the songs like Ivy does. (mainly cause katherine mcphee is not really an actress and not an accomplished musical theatre performer, which megan hilty most certainly is)
Ivy is far more technically talented for musical theatre, she has a much stronger voice than karen and has Marilyn down to a T, from her mannerisms to her physicality, something that Karen simply does not have. Yes Ivy has done some fairly brazen things, but hell she’s good and she is out to get what she wants- that’s showbiz! Believe me from being in the business I know that, if only I had the guts she has!
There’s no denying she’s very insecure and because of that a bit unstable, but Marilyn was far more messed up and Ivy can draw on her own experience to make her the perfect Marilyn. This is very much shown in the episode where she sings ‘second hand white baby grand’ a beautiful song that Ivy performs with so much feeling and passion and you truly believe what she is singing, by far trumps anything that Karen performs.
It’s quite silly really that the storyline ended the way it did because it’s so bloody obvious that Ivy is perfect for Marilyn and Karen is miscast.

Mike

Posted at 4:36 AM on May 17, 2012

Hi, all, I do work in this field, and have worked on new york shows before. First off, The role of Marilyn was written by Tom and Julia for Ivy, and it was Tom’s way of giving his friend who has put in the time and the years at a chance at a real part. Ivy then took the chance and did her home work and since she was playing a role that was based on a real actress, she studied all she could, and did Karen no, she didn’t even take the time to learn who Marilyn was till Ivy started helping her once the star stole the role from both of them. In this field and world, there is something to be said for studying and learning and making yourself better then you think you are. Ivy and all the cast that were in Broadway shows new this, Karen just comes in and thinks it will all just happen for her. She only knows how to act and sing from her school shows and community theater, That is not what real shows on Broadway are about, and get upset when you are being treated like a chorus girl, which she happily took, just be part of the workshop, and then yell and scream over the fact that the lead is trying to learn her song and your voice is louder then the other singers, don’t be surprised if your asked to leave that rehearsal. Ivy may have done some bad things, but come on, her own boyfriend cheated on her with the women who stole her part and performed it badly enough to leave the show. Then she is treated like the understudy b Derek and then is not used for the first show without the star, you don’t put an actress or actor on a stage in front of an audinace with out any kind of real rehearsals. Plus you have the actor or actress who knows the part cold, and the dances and the blocking, then you deal with the new girl. Ivy’s voice and sound and look and actions are Marilyn, and who ever said that crack about her using her sleeping with karen’s boyfriend she had just found out that Derek was sleeping around behind her back, and then later was told by him it was all for the show. Then Karen while doing a costume change, decides to talk to her boyfriend, that would have never been allowed at all, and she would have been sacked right then and there on the spot. Ivy kept her feelings about what Derek did and his choice, to herself, and didn’t go around crying about it, she never let it keep her from going into the role, when there backer and producer asked her to. Derek was way out of line in keeping karen, it should have been Ivy, but it still could its still along way from being on Broadway. ….

Louie

Posted at 7:59 PM on May 16, 2012

Ivy’s character is all messed up. She is cruel and not as talented as Katherine. She was not a team player. She played up to those she thought would be good for her career. She played dirty with Katharine’s character. Why would you want this overweight diva get the part? The whole show business story is built around someone from a small town with lots of talent who makes it big after going through a lot of pain and setbacks. Marilyn was just such a person. Ivy thought she was entitled because she put in her time. She would not put in the work. I think the story line went the right direction, but I had my doubts it would all the way through the season.

Jamie

Posted at 12:32 PM on May 17, 2012

Overweight? Not as talented as Karen? Are you HIGH? Megan Hilty is FAR from overweight, what a nasty horrible thing to say. A bitter woman’s jealousy coming out there, I do suspect. Plus Ivy can sing circles around Karen and there is actual EMOTION there. Ivy can also actually do the Marilyn mannerisms and vocal effects, whereas Karen can stare off into the distance and whisper. I really hope Ivy gets the role next season, so we can see how it’s really done. Her “Let’s Be Bad” blew everything out of the water. Karen could never.

Wilson Cat

Posted at 5:40 PM on May 17, 2012

Overweight diva? Karen is more talented?!?!?! Crikey. Karen is a loaf of Wonder Bread. You are comparing a runner up on American Idol to a Broadway actress who is getting nothing but standing ovations in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, who played Glinda in Wicked….oh I get it. You are Katharine McPhee’s great uncle louie! How loyal of you to stand up for her this way. But you need to refrain from silly character assassination, especially when you are comparing a tricycle to a Porsche and liking the trike because it has those little red pedals.

Carl

Posted at 7:51 PM on May 16, 2012

I think that both Katharine and Megan are simply wonderful,but to me Megan is the girl for the part. First of all Marilyn was a bit busty.Megan fills that completely.I’ve watched the show over and over and Megan is the perfect choice!! Although Derek has seen Katharine in the part, I believe he is fantasizing about her and doesn’t realize that the part belongs to Ivy.Megan is simply the best!! Thanks to NBC and the whole crew to bring Megan to the part of Ivy! I have become a true fan of hers and can’t come up with many more adjectives for her. I look forward to season 2. Long live Smash and long live Ivy(Megan Hilty). Sheis simply the best and no one is better!!!!

Troy

Posted at 6:08 PM on May 16, 2012

Katharine McPhee did her best on “Mambo” and “Wolf” but it is pretty clear that Megan Hilty is the best choice! When she first sang “Never Give All The Heart” in the pilot episode, that was the scene that convinced me she is Marilyn. I doubt McPhee can perform “Let’s Be Bad” as Broadway and as exaggerated as Megan did. I do not care if she is quite an evil character, because she is just frustrated from her life, like Marilyn. She better be the Marilyn next season or that would be disappointing. Why would they pull something like this?! Don’t tell me they are treating Ivy Lynn as Quinn Fabray is Glee? (pardon the analogy)

Deb

Posted at 3:28 PM on May 16, 2012

Clearly some of you have never been in business if you think anyone is happy for someone who gets the role over them. Megan is hands down a better actor than McPhee. When they have a scene together Megan outshines McPhee every time. It is glaringly obvious that no director would pick Karen over Ivy for the role of Marilyn. McPhee looked like an rooky when Karen took over the role in the finale. She cannot dance and she is never in character she only plays McPhee. I hope the new writers realize that the show needs to be written more realistic.

Paloma

Posted at 4:40 PM on May 16, 2012

Since 1th episode i can’t see McPhee with Marylin. But just look at Megan that everything fits perfectly. I agree with you Deb, when they have a scene together Megan outshines McPhee every time. And just does not see it who would not want. Megan is doing a perfect job, brilliant and flawless in Smash. I really love her. But McPhee McPhee I am not pass any feeling, she screams, cries, sings, dances and I do not feel any emotion. Karen, I think boring!

Hel

Posted at 3:22 PM on May 16, 2012

TEAM IVY!!!!! yes Karen is talented but Ivy would have really wrapped up the show beautifully. i am so addicted to this show!

Taylah

Posted at 2:00 PM on May 16, 2012

It should have been Ivy. Honestly, I don’t care about her personality (even though I adore the character, she’s a million times more complex than Karen who gets everything handed to her on a silver plate and when things go wrong starts screaming WOE ME THE WORLD IS AGAINST ME I AM JUST A POOR SAD MIDWEST GIRL), I care about the fact that from the first minute it was pretty clear that the role was WRITTEN FOR HER and she was the right choice all along. Katharine McPhee is a sweet pop artist, but she is just that. Pop. Her rendition of I Never Met a Wolf Who Didn’t Like to Howl was pathetic specially when interwined with Ivy’s because despite all the dancing and the props it was still clear that Ivy was better. It’s like the show is telling me something and I am seeing something else.

Paloma

Posted at 3:58 PM on May 16, 2012

Our Taylah! You said it all! I agree with you on every word.

GeronimoX

Posted at 7:17 AM on May 17, 2012

Ivy looks like trailer trash, has an underbite and is too short to be Marilyn.

Jason

Posted at 12:35 PM on May 17, 2012

Ivy looks like a regular woman and is closer to Marilyn’s height than Karen is. She is also curvy, like Marilyn and actually suits being blonde.

Erin

Posted at 1:58 PM on May 16, 2012

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IVY. THE SEASON FINALE WAS SO FRUSTRATING

Alli

Posted at 10:56 PM on May 15, 2012

OMG ALLISON JANNEY IS THE BEST PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. if she was on the show i would never miss an episode.

SierraJoy

Posted at 6:21 PM on May 16, 2012

Ivy has been extremely professional through out most of the season. Even genuinly getting along with Karen after she mornrd the loss of the role. Her personal ethics are questionable. But her bitchy side was for tge audiance to see, not the other charicters. Thats how we see she’s human. But the business of showbuissines is very cut throat for leading roles. Yeah it was unprofessional to do what she did with the ring, just to upset her. But it’s better than poisoning her. That’s twisted. She deserved the part hands down. Karen should have remained the understudy. Ivy is a far superior stage performer. The ending made no sense at all.

Anna

Posted at 5:03 PM on May 15, 2012

I’m glad it was Karen last night! Ivy is such a bitch! Seriously, she is not very professional if she is constantly jealous and unsupportive of other actors/actresses. She is always saying she knows the business. Well the business is losing roles to other people, but doing it graciously, not setting out to ruin the other person. Her day will come if she works hard and is a decent person. Jeez….

Meg

Posted at 3:13 PM on May 16, 2012

I agree. If she were more professional, I feel that she would go much further. Trying to mess Karen up before the show was just pathetic. It’s like, even if she then got the role, she would always know it wasn’t because of her talent, it was because she weaseled her way into it. She is AMAZINGLY talented and certainly deserves to get to the top based on that, but the way she treats people will keep leaving her disappointed and empty handed. I do know she has a good heart though. She is just insecure and sad. I hope in season two her life improves and she becomes happy and successful and realizes the things she’s done wrong and makes them right.

SiearraJoy

Posted at 6:59 PM on May 16, 2012

Also, Megan Hilty is just the Bom-diggety. McPhee is a cute and talented pop stay (like someone else said) but Monroe was a queen diva, in the classiest way. And Megan really portrays that impeccably.
TEAM IVY!!!

rainbowife

Posted at 12:25 PM on May 17, 2012

The writers have done their job well. Here are two girls for one part. Ivy has it all, the looks, the voice, the talent, that’s why she was casted in the first place. BUT SHE BLEW IT! Now it is Karens turn. Ivy is awesome. If she would get out of her own way she would be unstoppable. But I think that’s the point the writers are trying to make….