'Desperate Housewives' Series Finale: Death Strikes Wisteria Lane

Mon, May 14, 2012 1:51am EDT by 143 Comments
Desperate Housewives Final Episode

Ghosts of Fairview past — and I mean that literally — returned to send off the women of Wisteria Lane. Were you satisfied with the ending?

The two-hour series finale of Desperate Housewives somehow managed to feature every last-episode cliché in the book — a wedding, a delivery, a trial, a death, etc. — but in true Housewives fashion, it all worked together perfectly. Not only were we given closure with each of the women we’ve grown to love, but we were also reminded that there will always be drama on Wisteria Lane. We just won’t see it.

Karen (Kathryn Joosten) “confessed” to killing Ramon in the first hour, and considering she’s about to die of cancer, the prosecution chose not to press charges. So Bree (Marcia Cross) got off scott-free, and no one got hurt — well, except for the American justice system. That one got screwed pretty badly.

And now that she was a free woman, Bree was also free to be with her knight-in-legal-armor Tripp — which means he’ll either be dead or paralyzed within the next few years. If there’s one thing I’ve learned during the past eight seasons, it’s that no good comes from marrying Bree.

Tom (Doug Savant) and Lynette (Felicity Huffman) also finally arrived on the same page and decided to get back together. “You’re the love of my life,” he told her, cuing up an epic kiss — the kind that required a 360-degree camera to truly capture. But because Tom and Lynette are contractually obligated to always be miserable, a newly de-lesbian’d Katherine (Dana Delaney) returned to the lane with a proposition for Lynette to help launch her new business in New York.

And then there was the whole birth-death montage during Renee’s (Vanessa Williams) wedding, which is worthy of its own graf. The birth of Julie’s (Andrea Bowen) child was coupled with Karen’s death in a heart-wrenching sequence set to an olden-time ditty from Karen’s youth. The whole thing was done so beautifully, though I have to wonder which is the bigger tragedy: Karen dying or Porter Scavo (Charlie Carver) becoming a father.

Mary Alice’s (Brenda Strong) final voiceover treated viewers to a look into the ladies’ futures: Tom and Lynette moved to New York, where she and Tom eventually raised their six grandchildren; Bree married Tripp, moved to Kentucky and was eventually elected to the state legislature; Carlos (Ricardo Chavira) helped Gaby (Eva Longoria) create a website called “Gabrielle’s Closet,” which eventually led to a show on the Home Shopping Network and a new life in California.

But it was Susan’s (Teri Hatcher) one-last-drive around the block that truly left the audience haunted — literally. As she rolled down Wisteria Lane, Susan was met by the ghost of each and every person who died on the show, from Mike (James Denton) and Karl (Richard Burgi) to Paul Young (Mark Moses) and Tom’s crazy ex who got shot in the supermarket.

A brief meeting between Susan and the new owner of her house — who just so happens to be harboring a dark secret of her own — served to remind us that even though we won’t get to visit Wisteria Lane on a weekly basis anymore, the drama will carry on forever.

Did you think the ending was too depressing? Read our thoughts!

What did YOU think of the ending? After eight years, were you hoping for more, or was it everything you expected it to be? Which housewife will you miss the most? Share your thoughts about the finale in the comments section below! It’s been fun, friends.

— Andy Swift

More Desperate Housewives:

1. Recap: Will Bree Betray Gaby To Save Herself?
  2. Recap: Did Lynette Lose Tom Forever?
  3. First Look: Renee’s Wedding Dress Revealed
Loading video...

Destiny

Posted at 10:00 AM on June 22, 2014

IsteriaI will miss Bree Van de Kamp the most because she is so mysterious and she’s funny and in my opinion awesome and the prettiest housewife . The part when Karen dies and the baby is born really brought me to tears . But please let there be a 9th season ! I have anidea for the first episode of the 9th season: One of the girls should be going back to Wisteria Lane for some reason and get in a really bad car wreck or something and have .tp go to the hospital not knowing if they are going to live or not then the news of one of the girls gets back to the other three girls and they come rushing back and to the hospital and end up living on WisteriaLane until there friend gets out of the hospital . And the girls end up stuck living on Wisteria Lane for awhile after that……. Despreate housewives comeback

ashley

Posted at 1:10 PM on March 31, 2014

When will desperate housewives return. Please come back.

ilana

Posted at 3:24 AM on September 24, 2013

I will miss two couples: Tom and Lynett, and Mike and Suzan I loved them soooo much!!

toks

Posted at 6:51 PM on August 6, 2013

D ending was good, still need more of desprate hose wife

anne kelly

Posted at 2:22 PM on June 1, 2013

i really love it

maid service

Posted at 1:21 AM on April 9, 2013

Hi, thanks for sharing

Sha

Posted at 1:33 PM on March 4, 2013

Was Eddy the blond slut in the ending? I dont remember

Dean

Posted at 5:30 AM on February 19, 2013

I just now watched the finale, many months late I know. I bought the boxed set and just now had time to finish the series. I must say I am very sad to know there will be no more. I feel like there is a big gap that can not be filled by any new show. I think the end was beautiful and fitting and it made me cry like a baby because this show was like comfort food, if I had a bad day, I put it on. I kept feeling like this was not the end, but it was and is. It had a great run and I will miss it terribly.

Fari

Posted at 7:53 AM on February 4, 2013

Am so depressed that that my favourite series came to an end. Miss all the girls, Carlos and tOM.

nadia

Posted at 9:37 AM on January 28, 2013

i agree with who ever said there should be a movie made. thee was even a mobile trivia game once & boy did i know all the answers. please just make a movie or something please! the ghost were a great part cos ive forgotten about those people already i only remember the applewhites & mary ellis. I DONT WANT IT 2 END lol im really sad.

nadia

Posted at 9:33 AM on January 28, 2013

just watched the final episode of desprate housewives. (im from south africa so everytng is broadcasted later) oms nooo i cannot believe that its done. ill never get 2 c it again? i just looooved how the voice overs was done & how evrybdies stories ended up being the same but u never realized it until mary-ellis said it. aiii i dont want it to be done. :'( really

Cassandra Harrison

Posted at 12:00 PM on January 24, 2013

I loved the ending! The ghost scene was terrific! And I actually liked the fact that they all moved away. It would’ve been too unreasonable to have them all live on Wisteria Lane and have no drama between them. So congrats to the amazing show! I will be sure to watch the seasons over and over again! :)

Constance

Posted at 8:10 PM on November 28, 2012

I just like the ghost part , but i don’t like other things , few episodes before we saw Lynette and Susan talk with their children about the future Julie’s baby and i thought Susan wanted to move because of Gabrielle’s stepbrother trouble with police & justice so i think she could stay in Wysteria Lane , even if Mike died . I can’t believe they all moved Susan , Lynette , Gabrielle and finally Bree . I would accept a work for NY but not if i lived in such a neighborhood and have such friends and such memories .

Brad

Posted at 10:34 AM on September 28, 2012

I HATED the ending. How AWFUL that they didnt stay friends or even acquaintences after everthing. AWFUL.

Lynette would have stayed in touch with Susan at least. As they share the same grandchild. Lynette would have probably had a hilarious working relationship with Kathryn.

Edie’s ghost should have been in the ghost scene.

tractors for sale small tractors for sale

Posted at 10:50 AM on July 3, 2012

Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your website in web explorer, could test this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a huge section of folks will miss your magnificent writing due to this problem.

amira

Posted at 4:14 AM on July 3, 2012

just seen the last episode a weeks ago in my country..and till now it’s still makes me sad when remembering the end of deperate housewives..the part that i didn’t like the most is almost same like others who’d comment in here,the fact that they’ll never meet again,never played poker together again.they were best friends,they shared secrets and after they moved out they’ll never see each other again?????really depressing…i think making desperate housewives the movie will be great,at least we know they will meet again,still keep in touch…and btw,how bout the future of susan?how bout julie’s and porter son?aghhh,i really2 hate to say good bye to the show,it was a fantastic show :(((

Baekhyun

Posted at 5:14 AM on June 30, 2012

I really love the ending, especially the ghost scene. But it’s so sad to the show ended. I’ve followed the series eversince I was a kid.

But seriously, this is the best drama that I’ve ever seen.

tasha

Posted at 3:05 PM on June 28, 2012

Its quite sad for such a great show to end we actually do what we need todo early so we can watch the show.I for one will surely miss this show very sad about it having to end.

Xian

Posted at 2:24 AM on June 26, 2012

I feel sad about the ending. I mean, knowing that they did not see one another in the future was just so depressing. I just hope that there was still a season 9.. I will miss the four girls including Miss Mccluskie. :( Overall, the show is really great! I love it just like FRIENDS. :))

lauren small

Posted at 4:06 AM on June 16, 2012

i will really miss that show but i think they should continue but new charecters! and wots in the box????

Sandi

Posted at 6:48 PM on June 12, 2012

Did the person that wrote this even watch the show? Paul Young (Mark Moses) wasn’t one the “ghosts” at the end, he’s still alive & went to prison. And one that died, Edie Britt (Nicolette Sheridan) was not there, probably because she sued the creator of the show, Marc Cherry.
I liked the ending but I will really miss the show. And I’d love to know what’s in the box Jennifer was hiding!

SJ

Posted at 10:09 AM on June 12, 2012

I think that signing each character with what happens to them in the future is the way most people would find closure for the show and I especially liked the new secret, it was a tip of the hat the all the cliff hangers and revealed secrets that made this show exciting. I’m sad it’s over, the four girls were so engaging as well as the supporting cast, Tom being my personal long suffering favorite, but I think it was a fitting ending