Nina Dobrev: What I'll Be Like As A Vampire On 'TVD'

Sat, May 12, 2012 11:12am EDT by 73 Comments
Elena Vampire Diaries

In a new interview, Nina Dobrev gives us a hint about what her character, Elena, will be fighting for as a vampire on season four of ‘The Vampire Diaries’!

The Vampire Diaries fans were shocked when Elena [SPOILER ALERT] was turned into a vampire and chose Stefan during the season three finale Thursday and hungered for more. Thankfully, now Nina Dobrev, the actress behind the lovable character, revealed tons of details about next season in an in-depth new interview.

*On Elena as a vampire:
“We’re definitely going to see her whole transition into becoming a vampire. We’re not going to skip over it, as we have with others. Becoming a vampire, everything you feel is heightened. . . We know what Elena’s like: She has high morals, she looks out for other people. So what’s Elena going to be like with those things accentuated?”

*On Elena’s relationship with her teen witch best friend, now that she’s a vampire
“Their relationship is probably going to be so strained because of that. Her best friend, the one person she’s been fighting to protect, is now what she’s been fighting against all this time. It’s going to be interesting.”

*On fan reaction to Elena choosing Stefan over Damon
“It does kind of feel like you’re disappointing half the people. But you’re always going to disappoint half the people with this kind of storyline. I think we gave them both what they wanted at some point or another during the season, so it’s not like we shunned them or disregarded their wants.”

*On missing playing a human in addition to her second character, Katherine, who’s a vampire too
“I liked having one human and one vampire, because then I get the best of worlds and I get to do a variety of things. But, then again, it is going to be different for me and it’s going to be challenge. It’s going to be more fun to sort of explore that world.”

Are YOU excited to see season four when it hits the small screen? What do you think of Elena’s transition?

More Vampire Diaries Stories:

1. Season Finale Recap: Is Elena Really A Vampire?
  2. The CW Renews ‘Vampire Diaries,’ ’90210′ & More For Fall 2012
  3. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season Finale First Look: Why Is Elena Crying?

Rebekah

Posted at 7:40 PM on May 12, 2012

I’m not sure exactly what I think of the season finale. I’m interested in what Elena will be like as a vampire, but at the same time, I really think it’s going to shake up her desicion over the brothers.

I, personally, am a Stefan/Elena fan, and I do think that the writers gave each pair their equal ‘time’ together. Damon and Elena had a very intense season and the plot revolved mostly around their budding relationship, while Stefan sort of stood on the sidelines until the very end.

Second, Stefan is not to blame for his being a ‘jerk’. He spent an entire summer with a sociopathic killer and was practically forced to follow Klaus in his evil ways. THEN, he was compelled to not feel anything. I think through all this, Stefan has been the strongest. I think the writers didn’t do such a fantastic job portraying his feelings, but I give them props for dividing Stefan/Elena and Damon/Elena equally.

I honestly don’t think it matters if Elena met Damon first. They talked for about a minute. And he compelled her. Typical Damon. Yes, she’ll remember the moments she first had with Damon, and there will be Damon/Elena moments.

But in the end, Stefan and Elena will always be the right choice, whether it actually happens or not. There are still a couple seasons to go, and it will not be easy for any of the shippers, but I can honestly say that each ship will get their Stelena/Delena.

ava

Posted at 10:27 PM on May 12, 2012

This comment literally sums up everything I feel. Glad I’m not alone and I couldn’t agree with you more.

TANIA

Posted at 6:26 PM on May 12, 2012

I have read comments that Bonnie in particular may try to find a way to keep Elena human, unfortunately, they already covered that option at the end of season two. Its about time that Elena became a vampire because, unless she suddenly develops immortality, superpowers (or turns out to be a Timelord)she’s always going to need protecting, saving, rescuing as everybody else will be much stronger than her (and viewers will be even more turned off to her than ever). The one thing they should address at some point will be her inability to have children, but even that’s a double edged sword, because it means even more of a chance that the Petrova Doppelganger will reappear in 500 years, and she may not be too thrilled that Elena willingly continued her bloodline knowing that another girl will suffer the same fate as herself, Katherine (and Tatia, for that matter).

saltydoug

Posted at 10:31 AM on May 13, 2012

It dosn’t matter if she can have kids. In the 500 hundred years sence katherine ther could be any number of branches on the petrove family tree.

Bill

Posted at 5:49 PM on May 12, 2012

Great way to end the season! Can’t wait to see how being a vampire changes Elena. Elena craving fresh blood – now that should be interesting!

One complint about the season finale – how much of the sequence where Matt and Elena went off the bridge was real and how much of it was just in Elena’s head? First, no way in Hell Stefan would Matt instead of Elena, no matter how much she begged him to. And actually, given his super human strength I don’t see why he couldn’t have saved both of them. Second, Meredith told everyone in the hospital that Elena was dying because her head injury that she suffered in the previous episode was much more serious than she first thought and that she had internal bleeding in her brain. There was no mention of her having “drowned.” Or of the bridge accident at all. Very confusing

kels

Posted at 6:52 PM on May 12, 2012

Bill, the only part in her head was the flash backs. about the fact that stefan picked matt. has always been the way stefan and elena are. he does what she says even if he doesn’t agree. and why not carry out both. that a flaw in the story line. also about the hosipital scene. Meredith was explaining to damon that when elena was in earlier she had internal bleeding in her brain. so she gave elena vampire blood and didn’t say anything. :) hope that helps with the confusion

DelenaLove

Posted at 4:44 PM on May 12, 2012

I think, Elena vampire it will be interesting:)

lcutting

Posted at 4:14 PM on May 12, 2012

This last episode . was so epic!! I am a huge fan of TVD. My dvr is set every week for this show. I don’t really get to watch a lot of tv,but i make sure i watch this one. I love how the story line is. And how they have you sitting on the edge of you couch,bed,chair every week. It never fails. I am always so excited to see the following weeks episode. The crew is amazing. Every one of them play there parts very well and very professional . This last episode had me in tears,because it felt so real. I felt like they really brought the audience into this episode just thru the tv.It was Just so amazing. Its going to be tough, not seeing them for a few months . But thats why i have an amazing husband that went out and got me the first 2 season’s . Now just waiting for season 3 to come out and it’s re-runs here i come :) #TEAMVAMPIREDIARIES#

Zappa

Posted at 4:04 PM on May 12, 2012

The best series in the world! The best para-Delena!!!

Astra

Posted at 4:03 PM on May 12, 2012

Elena will be the fine vampire. Please, we want to Delena!

Conos

Posted at 3:53 PM on May 12, 2012

4 season will be shocking! I feel.

Toma

Posted at 3:51 PM on May 12, 2012

I want to see Elena vampire! :)

Leo

Posted at 3:49 PM on May 12, 2012

Nina Dobrev made the fine ending!

afffley

Posted at 3:49 PM on May 12, 2012

good for u SAM and remain hopeful . We’ll talk in Season 4 about this and then maybe in season 5 and so on but everyone plz remain hopeful!!!!!!!!!!! Guys, i’m really in a funny mood so dont take me too serious

Dim

Posted at 3:48 PM on May 12, 2012

I dream of the 4th season! Will be cool! Love’s Elena!!!

Dimma

Posted at 3:40 PM on May 12, 2012

Super final !

sam

Posted at 3:28 PM on May 12, 2012

Hey maybe stop the backlash lol I’m still hopeful for more Delena moments now she’s turned. At the time I was annoyed she picked Stefan AGAIN especially seeing as Damon was potentially going to die alone but I’m still hopeful :P

kkili

Posted at 4:06 PM on May 12, 2012

I think elena fell for damon first but she don’t remember because he told her not to when he looked in her eyes i forgot what u call it

afffley

Posted at 3:09 PM on May 12, 2012

Elena is a vampire now and whole TVD cast are divided into vampires , werewolves , witch and u know evil then it wonders me that, the few that left as human ,in which creature they are going to turn. Sorry!!!! just kidding! I am Team Delena and i waited for long, that maybe this time is ours but i am done hoping now bcoz i feel now that they will remain stitch the story b/w Stelena and Delena and fans get their answers only maybe in TVD finale.

Megan the most addicted vd fan

Posted at 3:07 PM on May 12, 2012

Elana should pick Sean because he is becoming his old self and when he was his old self he protected her cared for her and when he tried to help he actually helps unlike Damon who loves her cares about her but whenever he tries to help he allways gets her hurt in some way mentaly or physicaly and both some times and Damon should just get over that Elana picked stefan instead of him and if he dosnt stefan as usual will tried to help him instead of helping Elana who needs the training from stefan because he hasnt drunk human blood since he threatened to drive Elana off the Wikery bridge and Caroline would be grieving over Tyler death until she finds out that He is kinda alive and by the time she relies that it will be to late this has disaster written all over it

k

Posted at 3:04 PM on May 12, 2012

how exactly do you know she was turned into a vampire all we saw was her waking up after she died we didn’t see her drink vamp blood so it could be something else but the obvious is that she will be turned into a vampire and we knew that was going to happen at some point but i don’t think that is what is going to happen it seems to easy…

kiki

Posted at 4:03 PM on May 12, 2012

The nurse that ric was talking to had some of damon blood and injected into elena

Tai

Posted at 5:31 PM on May 12, 2012

I wonder… Since she died with Damon’s blood in her system.. Does that tie her to him emotionally (other than creator)… hmmm

Tai

Posted at 5:29 PM on May 12, 2012

If you die with the Vampire Blood in your system you turn.. Like Caroline’s dad. I knew that doctor was going to mess sum’n up eventually. Then again had she not interveined Helena would/ could be dead.

Elena

Posted at 1:41 PM on May 12, 2012

I wanted, that Elena became a vampire!

West

Posted at 1:40 PM on May 12, 2012

Elena will be the cool vampire! I believe in Delena!

Bet

Posted at 1:39 PM on May 12, 2012

Excellent ending of a season! I want the next season!!!

Bailey

Posted at 1:11 PM on May 12, 2012

So the fact that elena said that if her and Damon met first then maybe she might have chosen him really gets me. The truth is they did meet first before Stephen, so when she becomes a vampire she will remember that. I was really sad about her choosing Stephan. Although Stephan has been there for her for a while, Stephan became a real douche bag. Hopefully she will remember that damon and her met first then will have a hard time choosing again.

debora

Posted at 2:02 PM on May 12, 2012

His name is not Stephen or Stephan! It’s STEFAN!

Tai

Posted at 5:38 PM on May 12, 2012

I think that yes she met Damon first and while there may have been a connectiont nothing came of it. They never had a relationship. On the other hand Stephan whom she did have a relationship with broke her heart repeatedly!! While Damon the srew-up.. has always been there for her. I think she choose Stephon because its what is familiar to her.

Meh

Posted at 7:08 PM on May 12, 2012

It’s still Stefan, not Stephan. xD

Angel

Posted at 1:00 PM on May 12, 2012

Elena vampire? It will be cool!!!

Patty

Posted at 12:44 PM on May 12, 2012

I disagree with the statement about choosing Stefan over Damon. They stated ” we gave them both what they wanted at some point or another during the season “, but this isnt true! Actually Stefan has “been with” Elena for most of the series Damon has kissed her three – ytimes! Only one kiss lasted more than 10 seconds! Is that it!! Really ou honestly think that over half of the fans- who have been really wanting to see her choose Damon for more than an 10 mins or one episode are happy???? Really. Its like a cut that forms a scab, and then keeps getting ripped off over and over again. After a while it just gets NUMB- its always Stefan- always- its getting TOO predictable. Maybe listen to fans once in while, keep our interest, maybe surprise us !!!
I love the series but its disheartening ever single time, fans are lead to believe “she just might” and then never does. And it happens like this EVERY TIME .

LuckyStar

Posted at 12:46 PM on May 12, 2012

Agreed! It should be renamed to the Julie Plec/ CW / TVD Puppet Show… We will play around with you, lead you on and then say… “Well sorry, she never unfell for Stephan”…
I am done with this show.

Tai

Posted at 5:43 PM on May 12, 2012

Well said!

Maria

Posted at 12:19 PM on May 12, 2012

Disappoint half of the people how about 3/4 of the people and no DE fans didn’t get what they wanted at some point in the season , the kiss in 3×19 was the writers throwing a bone to DE fans to keep the ratings up , S3 finale please .

lisa

Posted at 11:35 AM on May 12, 2012

Vote robsten for best kiss and movie of the year at 2012 MTV movie awards team twilight

krish

Posted at 3:31 PM on May 12, 2012

hey guys….. here we r missing an important fact….. this whole series is being originated from novel….
so.. taking novel into account… i dare say that elena chooses damon first…. but later remembering her past that she loved stefan.. she chooses him later…. but.. they have more problems than this choosing thing….. there are more villans ahead….
mark ma words frnz…. this serial will be an epic….
it almost never ends… if it ends… we may be fathers (or mothers) by that time… and i bet it….