'Vampire Diaries' Season 4: Nina Dobrev Tells Us Elena Could Return To Damon

Fri, May 11, 2012 9:25am EDT by 237 Comments

Plus, Nina talks — cautiously — about potentially playing three different characters next season.

A major chunk of The Vampire Diaries‘ fan base was bummed when Elena (Nina Dobrev) straight-up chose Stefan (Paul Wesley) over Damon (Ian Somerhalder) on last night’s season finale, but “Delena” shippers probably shouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. “Nothing’s ever set in stone — ever,” Nina told HollywoodLife.com at the unveiling of her “Got Milk?” ad May 10 at Seventeen‘s NYC headquarters. “Everything changes all the time, whether it’s people or relationships or experiences.”

Considering the finale’s big twist ending, I’m thinking Elena’s feelings for Damon are going to change drastically when the show returns in the fall. During their phone call, one of her main points was that things might have turned out differently if she had met him before Stefan. Well guess what? She did! And now that she’s becoming a vampire, there’s a good chance Elena will remember that fateful first meeting Damon compelled her to forget.

On the subject of Nina donning a pair of fangs, she also told me she was actually relieved that vampire Katherine was M.I.A. for much of season three.

“My sleep habits don’t miss her, because I’m getting a lot more rest and I’m much healthier,” Nina admitted. “But it is fun playing Katherine. Variety is always good in any regard, but it’s all about moderation.”

And given that lead-in, I couldn’t help but ask Nina about the possibility of playing three characters next season: Elena, Katherine and Tatia — the original Petrova who was pointedly mentioned earlier this season.

“I guess we’ll have to cross that bridge when we get there,” she said. “I literally have to figure that whole thing out — if and when that happens.”

OK, so that remains a question mark. But one thing Nina can count on is Elena’s platonic bestie Matt (Zach Roerig) always being there for her. In fact, she told me she thinks every girl should have a Matt Donovan in her life.

“I think every girl has to have a really good girl friend and a really good guy friend, so you can bounce ideas off them and have objective opinions from both sides,” she explained. “Our minds are wired so completely differently, so yeah, it’s always great to have a guy friend and a girl friend.”

How do you feel about Nina’s outlook on Elena and Damon next season? Do you think Elena will change her mind when she remembers she met Damon first, or will she stay true to Stefan? And do you miss Katherine as much as I do? Hit up the comments section with your thoughts, theories and hopes for the future.

— Andy Swift

More Vampire Diaries Stories:

1. Season Finale Recap: Is Elena Really A Vampire?
  2. The CW Renews ‘Vampire Diaries,’ ’90210′ & More For Fall 2012
  3. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season Finale First Look: Why Is Elena Crying?

me

Posted at 5:50 PM on September 11, 2012

DAMON for the win

Nabz

Posted at 4:28 PM on September 8, 2012

I like stefan too,he’s the best option for Elena,she had always loved him,i just hope she chooses him as always.

Sophie

Posted at 12:20 PM on August 30, 2012

I think what could happen is she remembers and then she’s like oh my gosh! he kept this a secret if he loved me, why not tell me make me remember then she thinks it’s because he cares for his brother to much to do that… plus past experiences in season 3 show us that he couldn’t just take her when he had the chance! then that could lead to that very touching convo in season 2… which i hope will make her realise she should of chosen damon! i hope…

kat

Posted at 3:44 PM on August 24, 2012

i want damon and elena 2 b 2gethr…they look soo damn good..love em <3

leila!!

Posted at 9:47 AM on August 24, 2012

i hope that elena and stefan will back together!!! they’re true love<3

flame

Posted at 12:26 PM on August 21, 2012

Damon and Elena!!!!

Shelz

Posted at 6:02 AM on August 18, 2012

Delena

Chelly

Posted at 1:18 AM on August 18, 2012

Stefan and Elena <3 always and forever! I love damon a whole lot but i have to be on stefans side when it comes to Elena and i love stefan soooooo sooo much but i couldn't say really say whos cuter but stefan is in mine. Well season 4 and so on stefan and Elena <3

Maddie

Posted at 12:53 PM on August 17, 2012

I do believe in Delena and do believe that they belong together. Yes Damon slept with Elena’s birth mother but there is a huge difference between sleeping with Elena’s mother, Miranda Gilbert, and sleeping with isobel the woman who Elena doesn’t know as her mother. Another thing that all the Stelena fans say about Damon is that he slept with Rebekah so they shouldn’t be together, but HELLO Stefan was in LOVE with Rebekah during the twenties and slept with her as well. The only person that we know that Damon was in love with was Katherine, who Stefan fell for as well, until the compulsion wore off. So yes Damon has slept with lots of women but has he been in love with a lot of women??? Stefan’s track record is just as bad as Damon’s maybe even worse, remember all those women he wrote about in his journal during the twenties?? I am most definitely a Delena fan!!!

Sophie

Posted at 12:23 PM on August 30, 2012

Also only reason why he slept with them, ( i beilive) is because he thought he could never get the girl he wanted… they all choose stefan. So he drinks alot, blood and boos and sleep’s with every girl he meets to get mind of it. Besides how is stefan the good guy here hello ripper!!! Plus he forced damon to turn yeah sure it was cause he wanted to be with him forever so sweet but still that wasn’t his choice to make!

Sarah M M Brown

Posted at 3:12 AM on August 16, 2012

At first I wanted her to be with Stefan but as the episodes went on, I Started to lovvee Damon! Even if Stefan never went through the ripper stage I still want her to be with Damon, I would choose him if it was me :-) Elena and Damon have something deep, something that will end up wonderful and perfect. I understand what Elena and Stefan went through and their love but I don’t see it working out. It has to be Damon, please make her choose Damon! Damon is also my most FAVORITE character :-)

Sophie

Posted at 12:24 PM on August 30, 2012

Totally same!!!

nina

Posted at 10:33 AM on August 15, 2012

TOTALMENTE DELENA… Eu espero ke eles fikem juntos komo kuase todas as pessoas esperam… Para mim o stefan eh um bobao… So deu uma melhorada na 3 temporada e naum espero nada entre ele e a elena…

Ashley

Posted at 9:58 PM on August 14, 2012

First off everyone it’s STEFAN. Not Stephen or Stefin. I just don’t see Delena working at all. The love between Stefan and Elena is indescribable. It’s amazing. I love them together so much. If Damon and Elena ended up together I would die.

lisa

Posted at 1:03 PM on September 3, 2012

i totaly agger with Ashley stefan and elena have epc love

Meg

Posted at 7:43 PM on August 5, 2012

damon sleeped with Elena’s mum and changed her! stefan saved damons life for the ware wolf bite and saved elena at the car crash!! Stelena are the best couple! also damon had been with loads of girls like rose, the news-reporter and rebecakah! and stefan is trying hard not to kill anyone…

Sarah Ann Gubler

Posted at 7:46 PM on August 16, 2012

I am a delena fan, but I just want to point out that although Damon slept with a lot of girls, it’s always stefan that gets to fall in love with girls. Damon gets sex but not love. Would you really expect a man to stay abstinent waiting for a girl? I’m sure Stefan has slept with loads of girls over the years too. That’s just a perspective I wanted to point out to you.

Laina

Posted at 10:34 PM on August 3, 2012

Seriously if she was going to pick Stefan why would they make damon the better fit for her and more entertaining there is no scenes with Stefan and if there is it’s like boring….

Bethh

Posted at 12:03 AM on August 1, 2012

DAMON is my main favoritee without him there’s no rush excitement good sense of humor and the way he loves elena is adorable making her his first choice. I live the twist up that the show came up to be finally it reaches the point where Elena is a vampire I think she will remember everything good Damon has done for her other than the bad she has just seen. I think he loves both but doesn’t realize why she has gained for Damon ! Stefan isn’t my favorite but he is good but doesn’t have the chemistry she has with Damon or he wouldn’t have to worry about not being picked. Elena will finally see more to Damon and it will change things ! :) I can’t wait for the next shows !!

Laina

Posted at 10:31 PM on August 3, 2012

Agreed I hate stelena it’s worse then bell a and Edward alright maybe not that bad but it’s bad….

alysa

Posted at 10:50 PM on July 9, 2012

she should be with stefan because a perfect fairytale is when a couple has problems and still find a way back to eachother and can still have a happy ending! Elena needs a happy ending because she has been through a lot!

chloe

Posted at 12:20 AM on July 4, 2012

I love Damon and while he’s both exciting and cool I can’t help but feel more hope that Stefan will becoe good. I really did prefer the relationship between stefan and elena, rather than those moments where elena is with Damon….he did prove that he could love someone else, he did (reember) get quite close to Rose before she died. Now remember Stefan has had plenty of chances to kill and even move on from elena, plus he did ALMOST say no to klaus when he was asked to lose his humanity. Anyway Stefan + Elena <3

Claire

Posted at 10:33 PM on July 2, 2012

Delena for ever!… I think Season 4 Should be about Elena Admitting She is in love With Damon.When Stefan was away and Damon and Elena WERE Looking for him Elena started to have feelings for Damon . Elena has changed alot from the fist 2 seasons she more aventerous exciting And A guy like damon falls under that section . Stefan will always be good for her but she needs more now

Rene G

Posted at 11:22 PM on July 1, 2012

Damon and Elena are much more exciting together than Elena and Stefan as a couple.

Ethe

Posted at 3:41 PM on June 25, 2012

Hey everyone, let’s not forget Stefan didn’t only make sacrifices for Elena but his brother, DAMON.

kayla C. negron

Posted at 5:14 PM on June 28, 2012

Damon should get the chance of being with Elena because Damon and Elena are both looking for the same things in a person and plus they seem great for each other now that she’s a vampire Damon would not have to worry about how she could get hurt by another vampire so they are now perfect for each other in some ways.

latifat

Posted at 5:07 PM on June 24, 2012

Delena fan 4 life. Am trying to comment based on elena’s feelings. If she truny was in love with stefan she wouldn’t av made dat statement of “if I had met u first…..” It’s very clear dat she love both but love damon more. I also love stelena but I prefer damon. Damon is himself around her, she knows wat he’s capable of doing while stefan is not himself, he can’t even take human blood all because he doesn’t wanna loose control. She doesn’t want that……… Elena becoming a vamp is ETERNITY so please llet her av wat she wants and dats DAMON.

Anita

Posted at 3:18 PM on June 25, 2012

I agree with stephanie. I am a stephan and elena fan. Human elena is dead. So let Damon have her! Stephan deserves better. Yes Damon is himself around her, a monster. Human Elena did want to change him. He kills and hurts people at will with little to no remorse. That’s one thing she didn’t like about him. He turned her mother, killed her brother and turned elena even when he knew, it wasn’t what she wanted, No, stephan doesn’t want to lose control because he’s trying to hold on to his humanity. Not kill or hurt innocent people! I’ll root for Damon and vampire Elena because she is no longer the person Stephan fell in love with.

BUBBY

Posted at 7:53 AM on July 2, 2012

its like you took the words right out of my mouth… im a die hard ‘Delena’ fan… damon derserves a bit of happines after finding out that he loved katherine so much but she loved stephan more… Elena loves damon more she just doesnt know it yet…not igoring the fact that damon is so much yummier then stephan she would seriously be a fool giving that up hmmmm:)

Claire

Posted at 10:36 PM on July 2, 2012

I totally Agree with you bubby

jey

Posted at 7:46 AM on June 23, 2012

she should be with Damon

charlotte

Posted at 12:45 PM on June 22, 2012

im a damon fan hes more sexy and romantic more than stefan…

lisa

Posted at 12:54 PM on September 3, 2012

girl u are a RETARTE :P

lisa

Posted at 1:09 PM on September 3, 2012

and another thinkg didnt damon sleep with elenas borth mother and then made out with elena now i no stefans no goody goody but he didnt sleep with the girls MOTHER!!!!

Sheryl

Posted at 5:51 PM on June 20, 2012

I’m a Damon fan all the way. Don’t forget that she may also remember the kiss that Damon gave her in her room while holding her necklace and then Damon compelling her to forget b/c he wanted to be selfless and have her be happy with Stefan.

Stephanie

Posted at 2:50 PM on June 20, 2012

I’m a Stefan and Elena fan. I love Damon as well and hope that Damon and Elena get together in Season 4. The reason? because Stefan deserves more. Stefan has loved Elena with everything he has, protected her, helped her friends,was willing to sacrifice his life in exchanged for her Aunt Jenna’s and respected her choices. He even let her go to figure out her feelings for his brother. And it hasn’t been enough. Sure he’s made mistakes, but Damon has too and still Elena loves Damon. Everything Damon has ever done, has been for himself or for his misguided love for Elena. I love the character of Damon and the chemistry that Damon has with Elena. But the truth is, Damon and human Elena were not the super couple because he could never be himself with her. He was always trying to please her and change for her. That’s not love. Stefan was always free and real with Elena and she with him. Stefan’s heart is pure and kind. I’m not forgetting his past but he is a bloodoholic! Damon doesn’t have that problem, and has no remorse when he kills Elena’s brother, hurts Bonnie, Elena’s best friend or bites Elena potentially turning her into a vampire even though he know’s that’s the last thing she wants. And all the delena fans think that’s love. No that’s lust. I take solace in at least human Elena choice Stefan in the end. Now that Elena is a vampire, let her be with Damon! Chemistry and lust is one thing, but only true love lasts forever and Stefan’s and Elena’s lasted until the day she died! True love is sometimes boring but it never disrespects, manipulates, hurts, or kills on purpose. Damon does all of those things. And if vampire Elena doesn’t see how unselfishly Stefan has loved her, good riddance! Stefan deserves another love then. Someone who see his goodness and his heart like human Elena did. Another human or even Katherine. At least Katherine had both of the Salvatore brothers and chose Stefan without any regrets or second thoughts! Maybe it is Damon’s turn. But at least Stefan had his epic love with Elena the human and it lasted until her death.

Kayla C. Negron

Posted at 1:51 AM on August 13, 2012

I agree now and see where your coming from Stephanie your right about what you said :)

lisa

Posted at 12:59 PM on September 3, 2012

omg u jst read my mind …..tbh she doesnt deserv any of them! shes just as bad as katherine but she might be a bit nicer btw i love both damon and stefan but stefan a little bit more xx