'Vampire Diaries' Season 4: Nina Dobrev Tells Us Elena Could Return To Damon

Fri, May 11, 2012 9:25am EDT by 237 Comments

Plus, Nina talks — cautiously — about potentially playing three different characters next season.

A major chunk of The Vampire Diaries‘ fan base was bummed when Elena (Nina Dobrev) straight-up chose Stefan (Paul Wesley) over Damon (Ian Somerhalder) on last night’s season finale, but “Delena” shippers probably shouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. “Nothing’s ever set in stone — ever,” Nina told HollywoodLife.com at the unveiling of her “Got Milk?” ad May 10 at Seventeen‘s NYC headquarters. “Everything changes all the time, whether it’s people or relationships or experiences.”

Considering the finale’s big twist ending, I’m thinking Elena’s feelings for Damon are going to change drastically when the show returns in the fall. During their phone call, one of her main points was that things might have turned out differently if she had met him before Stefan. Well guess what? She did! And now that she’s becoming a vampire, there’s a good chance Elena will remember that fateful first meeting Damon compelled her to forget.

On the subject of Nina donning a pair of fangs, she also told me she was actually relieved that vampire Katherine was M.I.A. for much of season three.

“My sleep habits don’t miss her, because I’m getting a lot more rest and I’m much healthier,” Nina admitted. “But it is fun playing Katherine. Variety is always good in any regard, but it’s all about moderation.”

And given that lead-in, I couldn’t help but ask Nina about the possibility of playing three characters next season: Elena, Katherine and Tatia — the original Petrova who was pointedly mentioned earlier this season.

“I guess we’ll have to cross that bridge when we get there,” she said. “I literally have to figure that whole thing out — if and when that happens.”

OK, so that remains a question mark. But one thing Nina can count on is Elena’s platonic bestie Matt (Zach Roerig) always being there for her. In fact, she told me she thinks every girl should have a Matt Donovan in her life.

“I think every girl has to have a really good girl friend and a really good guy friend, so you can bounce ideas off them and have objective opinions from both sides,” she explained. “Our minds are wired so completely differently, so yeah, it’s always great to have a guy friend and a girl friend.”

How do you feel about Nina’s outlook on Elena and Damon next season? Do you think Elena will change her mind when she remembers she met Damon first, or will she stay true to Stefan? And do you miss Katherine as much as I do? Hit up the comments section with your thoughts, theories and hopes for the future.

— Andy Swift

More Vampire Diaries Stories:

1. Season Finale Recap: Is Elena Really A Vampire?
  2. The CW Renews ‘Vampire Diaries,’ ’90210′ & More For Fall 2012
  3. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season Finale First Look: Why Is Elena Crying?

Taffy

Posted at 12:13 PM on June 10, 2012

Damon and Elena have to be!!! Elena needs to be with Damon because when I see them together in the show there is more chemistry more love then I ever saw with Stefan and Elena. I really hope they end up together. PLEASE!!! Damon loves her so so much and he has been hurt so many times, Elena needs to be the one to say the words to Damon “I LOVE YOU!” and mean it!

Dannie

Posted at 12:15 AM on June 9, 2012

Im a total Delena fan and I will be upset if there is no Delena. I was a Stelena fan but then I read the books by Lj and fell in love with Damon and Elena as a couple. We know that Stefan loves her, we know that Damon loves her but when Elena describes her feelings for Damon saying he is consuming is a great kind of love I want to see them together especially since Lj was kicked off the books and they made Elena love Stefan and disregard all of her feelings for Damon. I do not want that to happen in the series. Delena fans are wanting Delena instead of Stelena. Kind of like Leyton and Brucas fans for Lucas and Peyton and Lucas and Brooke in one tree hill at least we got to get allow them as a couple the fans got both. And look OTH got 9 seasons and embed on their own terms because they LISTENED to their fans! Take a note TVD execs

Sarah

Posted at 3:20 AM on June 15, 2012

I know i totally agree!! Leyton and delena all the way!!!

Kelli

Posted at 7:23 AM on June 8, 2012

I honestly only continue to watch for Damon. The heroine has turned into an annoying, bland, silly sap. Unfortunately they need Damon to make these characters more interesting. Stefan and Elena equals tedious, dull and boring. Yes please, bring back Katherine.

Michaela

Posted at 5:50 PM on June 7, 2012

Stephen is obviously the BEST choice for Elena. Stephen has always been there for her, even before she knew him. Afterall, he is the one that saved her life the day her parent’s car went off the bridge. Also, he is the one that made the effort to go back to town to meet her, and he is the one who has protected her the most, even when he was at the hands of Klaus. TEAM STELENA!!! =)

samaneh

Posted at 3:50 AM on June 7, 2012

I’s obvious that it’s better for Elena to be with damon.Everyone knows that damon is the best choice for her…Why can’t Elena see that????

kosar

Posted at 4:21 PM on June 6, 2012

damon compaled elina to forget many times and each time he showed his feleengs. he used to fight with elinas love just for his brother. thats the beuty of damons personality, he is better than he shows. im shure she will change iedea.,but it doesent matter for me.
i love the power of love and family and frindship in this story.

lesley

Posted at 2:41 PM on June 5, 2012

omg i cant believe my eyes the last episode of season 3 shocked me, i cant believe stefin salvator saved matt before elena and haello shawk elena is now a vampire but the big question is will she go through with the transformation or will she lat her self die. the other big question is, will bonnie get back together with jeremy and what is gonna happen with rabecca,elisia,and cole . also one more question if elena came back to life what about alaric

brit

Posted at 2:45 PM on June 5, 2012

i so agree with you. i mean its true what is gonna happen to alaric. will he stay dead or will he come back to life?

mystery

charlotte

Posted at 6:40 PM on June 3, 2012

i can onelsly say if elena comes back froma vamp to a human like in the books i wouldnt like it why should they start going on like the books now . stay asa vamp. i would also like damon and caroline to help elena through the transition not stefan i think it world be grat becuase damon and elena got more chemisry than stelena and caroline a vamp and one of heer best friends so. i would also like elena to drink people blood but ok with it not like vicky like caroline. i would also like to ask the public i didnt stefan in 3×22 when elena and matty was drowning does take elena out with out her damand or just use his super stregh and take both of them thats weird isnt it i gess will find out . but i would like s4 to be a bit more seriouse…

charltte

Posted at 8:14 PM on June 2, 2012

i would like elan to stay as a vamp and get with damon and caroline to get with klaus and elena to have a power that no vampire has only the vamp descenets of the petrovs line like the originals a powers like exstra strengh and mind dream control and the sun. elena could have this big convo about it..

charlotte

Posted at 2:49 PM on June 3, 2012

maybe damon and elena could have a love scene in season 4….

charlotte

Posted at 6:30 PM on June 3, 2012

could elena get pregnant with damons baby that could be her power are something like that…

Marty Green

Posted at 8:18 PM on June 1, 2012

I’m still learning from you, while I’m trying to achieve my goals. I definitely enjoy reading all that is written on your site.Keep the tips coming. I loved it!

Phatee

Posted at 8:16 AM on May 31, 2012

“Damon and Elena can never be”!! Thats what J. Plec said. No matter how bad we want Damon and Elena Together, its not gonna happen. But hey at least we get to see some H-O-T Delena moments once in a while. Manageble.

breanna

Posted at 11:45 AM on May 30, 2012

I really want elena and damon together because it would spice things up in the vampire diaries series. and i think most of the vampire diaries fans for team delena would really LOVE that and me. i would think that the producers and the writers shoud do this because it would make it interesting to watch. and the only thing the writers havent done yet is have elena and damon date and go out, the only thing they did do for delena fans is they just kissed and thats kinda it. now since elena is a vampire we all hope that elena change her mind and go with damon.

Nicole

Posted at 8:51 PM on May 29, 2012

I knew Tatia was going to be important! Right when I heard Klaus mention her. I knew she would be important. He wouldn’t have mentioned her if she wasn’t going to be important. As for Damon, I think he’ll get another chance. I am not positive, but I think he will. I think that the fact that she did meet him first and when she remembers that, she’s going to be even more confused and torn between the two. I just really hope Damon and Elena are the end product. They are made for each other.

shrina

Posted at 9:00 PM on May 18, 2012

i am totally with you on that one cause stelena is kindagetting boring and oldand yes elena has never kissed stefan like that. plus do we remember what happened in S03E020 when elena says if we ever get back togther i need you to know what happened with me and damon at the motel. we all know that stefan has a very week heart to handle the truth. i’m one of the reason that the show is been going on cause if delena fans didn’t watch the show well we all know how that would have went!!! just cause plec likes elena to be with stefan doesn’t mean that the best thing so go team delena!!!!

Zdenka

Posted at 3:01 PM on May 18, 2012

I’m so over TVD triangle. Wait… there’s no tvd triangle because they never gave and will never give us a fair chance to see Damon and Elena together.

You’ll never fool me again Julie Plec. Do you understand me?!?!?!

I’ll always love Damon and Elena together because they are the reason why I started watching this show. Yes I’m watching this show because of Ian (I’m LOST fan) and because of a few videos with Damon and Elena (including famous “Love the way you lie”) which is already removed from Youtube but it was the video which actually showed the true love triangle on TVD.

Actually I’m not going to watch the show until Damon is with a new girl who should appear in 4th season according to spoilers.

breanna

Posted at 11:56 AM on May 30, 2012

i hope not. i want and most delena fans want damon and elena together in season 4. if they do im not watching it until they do.

Minxy

Posted at 11:06 AM on May 16, 2012

I love seeing how people can put the blinders on in favor of on character over another. We can argue the good and bad points of each of these guys, and there are a lot for each of them. I think now it has become a wash. This season, if Stelena fans will take of the blinders and be honest, leveled the playing field. You can’t ignore history, whether recent or past. These guys will have an eternity of bouncing between good and bad, like an alcoholic falling off the wagon. Both of these guys are continually growing and trying to come to terms with their issues. It is nieve to say that someone should have Elena because they deserving. Love just doesn’t work that way. Love for many is messy and complicated and at times a total mind f***. Want to argue the Soul Mate factor? Research it more. There is the school of thought that there are more than one Soul Mate. If you subscribe to the belief of only one, then you should know that just because you get together with yours in this lifetime, it doesn’t necessarily mean there will be a happily ever after if you are not both at the same high level of spiritulity or growth. Face it. The writers will never completely end this triangle because it will be the end of the show. Plenty of fans here have made it clear their loyalty to the show is based on who Elena ends up with. As for me, I love me some Damon, because I am married to one. It made no sense to anyone when I fell for him, and we have beat all statistical odds and logic, but twenty years later we are as crazy for each other as the day of our first kiss. (It was very Delena-eque.)

Can’t wait to see the choas of Elena waking and everyone waiting to drop dead, and then wondering WTF? And the whole Klaus/Tyler story line.

Deniqua Frye

Posted at 11:41 PM on May 15, 2012

On the Delena/Stelena front, I think a lot of fans can agree that Stelena is boring, and old. Their relationship isn’t fresh, isn’t exciting like Delena’s. And in 3×19 I don’t recall Elena EVER kissing Stefan like that, even when they first made love….HAHAHA! Stefan’s going down!…Much appreciation to Paul Wesley, my views on Stefan don’t reflect my views of you as a person or an actor.

Deniqua Frye

Posted at 11:38 PM on May 15, 2012

Finally some Tatia action, I’ve been wondering about that ever since we found out that Katherine was a doppelganger! I think everyone wants to know what Tatia’s personality would be like: More like Katherine or more like Elena? How would we distinguish between all three vampires? If clothing wasn’t a factor, how would anyone tell them apart? Also, why did Klaus need Katherine to become a hybrid, what happened between him and Tatia, and Elijah and Tatia?

Nora

Posted at 5:16 PM on May 15, 2012

Its disheartening to see so much of Stefan hate on here. I love Delena scenes. I love Stelena scenes too. I love THE VAMPIRE DIARIES. Why can’t you people just appreciate all of the characters?
If you a DE fan, that’s fine. But why the hell do you have to hate Stefan? Like Kevin Williamson said, Stefan is the true tragic hero of this show. NEVER EVER FORGET THAT DAMON WOULD BE DEAD IF STEFAN DID NOT SACRIFICE HIMSELF.
Elena feels something for Damon at this point because they got closer. They got closer because Stefan went away with Klaus to save Damon and to keep Elena safe. Its amusing how people can be so ridiculous. OPEN YOUR EYES.

Lynda TM

Posted at 5:03 PM on May 15, 2012

Who says Damon doesn’t deserve Elena?? If you remember, Stefan was called “The Ripper” for a reason! It was not until he met Lexi when he started behaving… but he was much worst than Damon! yes, he feels remorse but he is just ashamed of who he is. Damon, on the other hand, accepts what he is and knows how to handle his urges. Not like Stefan who becomes a psycho in the instant he drinks a drop of blood! And if you count who have saved Elena the most, it will be Damon! He is not afraid of anybody when it comes to save Elena! He’s changed for her! He is unconditional! even when she says she loves Stefan, his love is greater than that! Stefan is a safe love like the one she had with Matt BUT Damon is just a bit of everything :) just what every girl wants! Go Damon!!

Emma

Posted at 6:33 AM on May 15, 2012

Yeah well Season 4 I’m proceeding with caution.  Why get too excited when Julie Plec is an obvious Stefan fan girl.  I’ve lost faith. Possible great potential can just be replaced with Stefan, Stefan and Stefan.

Corey

Posted at 2:37 PM on May 26, 2012

Julie said on the season 2 dvd commentary that she’s neither for Stelena or Delena.she’s Team Salvetore

Butterfly

Posted at 9:35 PM on May 14, 2012

He didn’t want to disobey Elena and blah blah blah her free will. You don’t let your so called ‘epic true love’ die. That there is a sign of a whooped pansy.

Cindy

Posted at 9:26 PM on May 14, 2012

If Elena is a vampire now and shes gonna remember all the things Damon compelled her to forget that means like everyone has already pointed out that shes gonna remember when they first met. But shes also gonna remember the first night Damon told her he loved her and compelled her to forget!!

Elle

Posted at 4:19 PM on May 14, 2012

I agree with you ! Stelena is so crappy and annoying ! Which couple never fight? They never argue !!! But with Damon all the normal stuff happens sadness and happiness in relationships ! Plus delena looks great bcos they are couple in real life and they look so passionate <3 delena all the way

Tatia

Posted at 1:22 PM on May 14, 2012

Why Stefan let Elena die? He always does what Elena says even if this is not correct. He is strong enough and could save both of them. I cannot understand his love and position in this situation….

Natz

Posted at 1:29 AM on May 15, 2012

Because Elena told him to leave her. Stefan, unlike Damon, trusts Elena’s ability to make her own decisions and think for herself. I can assure you, Stefan will be haunted by that moment for the rest of his life, but Elena will always respect Stefan;s respect for her.

JCarroll

Posted at 9:33 PM on May 15, 2012

I think one of the reasons they had Elena pick Stefan instead of Damon because Elena and Damon’s characters are a couple in real life. I think with everything that Elena and Stefan have been through that’s why she choose him, but I can’t wait to see next season and how it plays out.

Sincerely_Yours

Posted at 1:05 PM on May 16, 2012

Umm… I dont understand. Why should Delena not exist, because of Nina and Ian really being a couple? Its a show, not real life! You know, I dont agree with you in any way here; Elena chose Stefan because she -or so she thinks- met him first(I think she made it very clear, when she dumped Damon). Maybe, with all they’ve been through, they really belong together. Or maybe its just Elena’s unclear emotions that are leading her. I’d say its the emotions. Because, you know, shes very… confused. Damon and Elena (Or Nina and Ian) have a lot of chemistry. You know, all in all, Elena is acting bitchy. Shes kinda the same as Katherine only that she WAS human. Now imagine the game shes gonna play IF she chooses to turn her emotions off. It’ll be 1864 all over again. But I doubt that. Anyhow, I really think Stelena is a little worn out. Yeah, I guess we’re gonna see how it turns out next season.

Lace

Posted at 3:58 PM on May 17, 2012

I think the ending was Great! YES I was upset that Damon and Elena couldnt be together and MAN I wish he could just stop getting beat in every aspect of his life. Damon is so strong for trying to find his humanity. Anyway due to the finale when Elena said “When I’m with Damon..he just consumes me”. Well Damon didnt when the coin toss. lol. She didnt even get to see him the whole episode. It’s like this..when my hubby and I are fighting and we are away from eachother I have so many things I want to tell him..Like when he’s a jack*** lol. But when we get together and start talking I am just so CONSUMED by our love that I forget about everything I felt before. Thats how Elena is with Damon. And I believe the writers were right about the choice because eventually Damon will when her over and the show isnt over…Thats good on our part because they may wait so long that it’ll be suprise at the end. But the journey is the fun part. I’m ready for Damon to have another Love interest and make Elena jelouse..she deserves to be jelouse for awhile don’t you think?