'Vampire Diaries' Season 4: Nina Dobrev Tells Us Elena Could Return To Damon

Fri, May 11, 2012 9:25am EDT by 237 Comments

Plus, Nina talks — cautiously — about potentially playing three different characters next season.

A major chunk of The Vampire Diaries‘ fan base was bummed when Elena (Nina Dobrev) straight-up chose Stefan (Paul Wesley) over Damon (Ian Somerhalder) on last night’s season finale, but “Delena” shippers probably shouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. “Nothing’s ever set in stone — ever,” Nina told HollywoodLife.com at the unveiling of her “Got Milk?” ad May 10 at Seventeen‘s NYC headquarters. “Everything changes all the time, whether it’s people or relationships or experiences.”

Considering the finale’s big twist ending, I’m thinking Elena’s feelings for Damon are going to change drastically when the show returns in the fall. During their phone call, one of her main points was that things might have turned out differently if she had met him before Stefan. Well guess what? She did! And now that she’s becoming a vampire, there’s a good chance Elena will remember that fateful first meeting Damon compelled her to forget.

On the subject of Nina donning a pair of fangs, she also told me she was actually relieved that vampire Katherine was M.I.A. for much of season three.

“My sleep habits don’t miss her, because I’m getting a lot more rest and I’m much healthier,” Nina admitted. “But it is fun playing Katherine. Variety is always good in any regard, but it’s all about moderation.”

And given that lead-in, I couldn’t help but ask Nina about the possibility of playing three characters next season: Elena, Katherine and Tatia — the original Petrova who was pointedly mentioned earlier this season.

“I guess we’ll have to cross that bridge when we get there,” she said. “I literally have to figure that whole thing out — if and when that happens.”

OK, so that remains a question mark. But one thing Nina can count on is Elena’s platonic bestie Matt (Zach Roerig) always being there for her. In fact, she told me she thinks every girl should have a Matt Donovan in her life.

“I think every girl has to have a really good girl friend and a really good guy friend, so you can bounce ideas off them and have objective opinions from both sides,” she explained. “Our minds are wired so completely differently, so yeah, it’s always great to have a guy friend and a girl friend.”

How do you feel about Nina’s outlook on Elena and Damon next season? Do you think Elena will change her mind when she remembers she met Damon first, or will she stay true to Stefan? And do you miss Katherine as much as I do? Hit up the comments section with your thoughts, theories and hopes for the future.

— Andy Swift

More Vampire Diaries Stories:

1. Season Finale Recap: Is Elena Really A Vampire?
  2. The CW Renews ‘Vampire Diaries,’ ’90210′ & More For Fall 2012
  3. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season Finale First Look: Why Is Elena Crying?

Sam

Posted at 6:34 PM on May 12, 2012

I think that stefan is too boring for Elena and is domineered by her. Stefan needs Katherine as she needs the balance of Stefans calmness and he needs her assertiveness. He is also a wild card as he has not got control over the ripper side of his personality and hasn’t embraced his vampire side to balance his emotions out. He comes across as very needy. Damon is balanced by Elena’s personality and she is challenged by his. He is no lap dog to be ordered around which she does with stefan. Elena is with Stefan through gratitude and fear, she runs from Damon as she is frightened by the strength of her emotions for him and yet does not realise that the bad Damon has done throughout season 1 and 2 was because he was angry, he saw her first and connected but smarmy bro slips in on a golden opportunity. Fear holds Elena back

Torya

Posted at 5:16 PM on May 12, 2012

Delena forever!!!!+10000000000000!!!!!

Melika

Posted at 4:58 PM on May 12, 2012

Stelena forever!!!!

doppelgaenger

Posted at 4:43 PM on May 12, 2012

i’m for team delena, steffan is soooo boring!!!
delena should have a secret relationship in the show!!!!
spice it up writers we wanna see more action

Maria

Posted at 12:22 PM on May 12, 2012

I am a huge DE fan but WTF how can Elena can get back to Damon if they never were TOGETHER ? Damage control I tell you Damage Control.

Kalia

Posted at 12:08 PM on May 12, 2012

If Damon and Elena finally get together, show is over. Its the anticipation, of what ‘might’ happen that keeps the viewers tuned in. Besides, a lovesick Damon, makes for a boring vampire. He is much better at being impulsive, with his feelings in check. I prefer his sarcastic sense of humor, and most of it is due because he doesn’t show emotion. I for one, do not want to see that change. Can you imagine what he would be like if they were a couple? Boring. Its better to have that attraction from afar…the longing looks, his snide remarks. Thats the Damon we all love!!

Alicia

Posted at 10:21 AM on May 12, 2012

There is so much heat between Damon and Elena!!!!! Durin the Stelena scenes I feel like yawning. They are so boring!!! Delena all the way!!!!

Юля

Posted at 9:43 AM on May 12, 2012

я не очень рада тому что Елена вампир, но с другой стороны круто то что она вспомнит моменты с Деймоном и возможно задумается о не правильности выбора. я очень хочу Делену , надеюсь она будет в 4 сезоне.Ее встреча с Деймоном была восхитительна и она обязана ее вспомнить и все переосмыслить.Еще надеюсь что Джули Плек не решила пойти путем книг, этот новый сюжет боязно напоминает мне книжный…
I’m not very happy that Elena vampire, but on the other hand it’s cool that she remembers moments with Damon and may not reflect on the correct choice. I really want to Delena, I hope it will be at 4 sezone.Ee meeting with Damon was delicious, and it owes it to remember and think things through. Still I hope that Julie Plec had not decided to go through the books, this new story reminds me of a scary book …

Tomester

Posted at 6:04 AM on May 12, 2012

I was extremely happy when Elena finally turned into a vampire!! I’ve been waiting for it since season 1.

Romana

Posted at 5:47 AM on May 12, 2012

I was extremely happy when Elena finally turned into a vampire!! I’ve been waiting for it since season 1!!
I think she should be with Stefan, because they make a great couple and they understand each other; also because she fell for him and not damon. I also don’t think it makes a difference who she saw first, what does make a difference who she fell in love with!

I just have a small question, when does the new season start airing??
CANT WAIT!!!!

anonimo

Posted at 10:16 AM on May 12, 2012

The truth is that I was very surprised by the end of Season 3. I was very sorry Damon, I wanted to elena stay with him, she is in love with Damon and does not say, but still want more to Stefan. In season 4 is going to realize that in fact he met Damon vampire first and being may be more likely to elena this with Damon. I can not wait that long! I want to see the first chapter now!
You tell the truth, Stefan does not have mattered would have to save Matt, Stefan’s would have to have saved Elena anyway because he loves her, so here also probably feel guilty for what happened to her.

Melika

Posted at 4:31 AM on May 12, 2012

Well.. I’m not sure about delena, it might happen, but I think Stefan and Elena make a better couple !!!
Anyway I can’t wait too see Elena as a vampire and season 4!!
By the way don’t you guys think they kind of copy the last scene of theTVD, from twilight B.D part1? (when Elena opened her eyes!!!)

Chelsie

Posted at 3:31 AM on May 12, 2012

Well since Nina and Ian date in real life, they obviously make the better couple on the show and have better chemistry!

Jenay

Posted at 2:45 AM on May 12, 2012

Sorry but there was not nor ever will be a Damon/Elena relationship.We keep getting fed lies and hints so that the Delena fan base will watch and keep the ratings up.I’m not interested in watching another season of Damon being the punching bag/door mat for the other characters.

Ian said in an interview that fans should not get excited because they would be disappointed.Huge hint right there but we didn’t listen.Kevin Williamson said during season 1 that he would not put Damon and Elena together and Julie Plec is a Stelena Shipper.

So why keep up with the lies and the false pretenses? Because they know that Delena is a very,very large fan base and as long as they can make us believe them we will watch and they will have their fan base.

Won’t be back for more BS.Julie Plec is a liar,a fraud and has no sense of wrong and right when it comes to character development.I’m not mad about the choice I’m mad about the so called triangle and being led to believe something that was never going to happen.

Not to mention the way she told him her decision on the phone knowing that he would die alone in a storage building.Seriously uncool how could the writers do that to Damon or the fans.Why cant the interviewers writing the articles ask the real questions.

Seriously get a reality check Julie Plec.I hope that Delena Fans will come together and boycott the season 4 premiere and watch the ratings drop.Maybe then the network will say “hey what the hell” and the writing will become what it should.

If they cant be together fine let him be with someone else and maybe even leave MF for awhile.

Chelsie

Posted at 3:36 AM on May 12, 2012

did you watch season 3 finale? Damon didn’t die in the storage locker! Alaric did. And the actors don’t know the script anymore then we do until about the week they shoot the scenes. So if Ian said that he was probably just refering to this episode where she chooses Stefan! For now, who knows how long that choice will remain now that she is a vampire and gets to remember that she met Damon first. You never know what can happen since writers change scripts almost daily!

Jen

Posted at 4:12 AM on May 12, 2012

Yeah I think you are right Jenay, there is a pattern. I’ve come to the conclusion going into season 4 and listening to recent JP interviews that DE may never happen beyond friendship. There’s doubt in the tone. Why? Because SE is number one for Julie Plec and always will be.

That’s been obvious with Stefan not even looking sideways at Caroline, Katherine or Rebekah and also his virgin ways in his Ripper return.  SE/SS are JPs babies which make her cry and that’s why this bias makes me hate the characters even more. It’s not converting viewers, the forcing is making them sick.

No wonder fan bases get upset when they promote the show as a triangle, a (er human) girl between two vampire brothers, when after three years it’s still nowhere near being one. Damon is always treated as a problem. It feels like it’s going round in circles.

I just can’t handle SE, I don’t feel it. They certainly don’t give everyone the warm and fuzzies. Enough already, it drags the show down. Stefan will no doubt be labelled a Hero and the perfect boyfriend for listening instead of manning up in the drowning and death of Elena. She’ll be holding his face and thanking him. Oh god please :( Then he of all people will be helping her with her blood lust. I guess I’m on a different wave link to JP she is probably correct it’s time to “stop” watching. 4 months to detox.

Dee

Posted at 6:33 AM on May 12, 2012

I think if Damon and Elena would be together, the show would be over. Things would get boring and everybody would stop watching.

The reason why the show has got so many viewers, is because the majority of fans wants to see Damon and Elena together, and they will keep watching until they are together…

Sweetest66

Posted at 8:53 AM on May 12, 2012

Unfortunatley you’re right… I’m a huge Delena shipper, and i was so disappointed thet she chose Stefan, after everything that happend in season 3. I really want Damon and VampireElena to be together next season but i’m afraid is not going to happen…
They’ve waisted the best love story ever!
And, poor Damon, he truly loves Elena and she just used him to replace Stefan when Stefan was gone and then she went right back to him when he returned…

anna

Posted at 12:31 AM on May 12, 2012

delenaaaaaaaaaa

sarah

Posted at 12:22 AM on May 12, 2012

Me and my friends are still waiting for our favorite, BAMON.

Neacy

Posted at 12:58 AM on May 12, 2012

With how much they have already changed from the books to make it such a hit on TV I have to say I do not think that will EVER happen, sorry. The addition of Jeremy is key to that too him and Bonnie are great together and a LOT of people think so, their relationship is going to continue and you can tell that just by their finale interactions.

doppelgaenger

Posted at 4:33 PM on May 12, 2012

bonny and damon thats wild, wouldn’t be that bad of an idea

Lolee

Posted at 8:51 PM on May 11, 2012

Well written !

gio

Posted at 8:40 PM on May 11, 2012

of course now they teases Delena fans to watch s4. LOL
Im not going to watch boring Stelena AGAIN. I just hope ratings will drop drastically.

Kandy

Posted at 7:02 PM on May 11, 2012

I just can’t anymore. Not interested in voting in any polls or supporting something that is absolutely ridiculous. Looks like we are starting another season off with SE focus, wonderful, as if there hasn’t been three of those already. Flog that dead horse.
And you would NEVER let the person you love the most in this world DIE just cuz they told you to look after someone else. Grow some balls. Good to see SE has also become a joke. Epic my A. Damon also deserves better than Elena. He was her support all season and in the end what did he get, a stinking phone call while he was down telling him I care about you, but I love Stefan. Change the record. I can’t find it in me to get behind DE anymore. Forever tainted. Who cares if she remembers. She already knows Damon loves her and so what if they has a two minute conversation he made her forget. Damon just wasn’t good enough for human Elena no matter how hard he tried in the end, but rippah and stalker Stefan was her everything.
These characters are just plain stupid with no consequences or growth. “He met her first” or “stefan had her first” either way, nothing but teen rubbish.

Neacy

Posted at 12:40 AM on May 12, 2012

Kandy- But that is not the only time he made her forget… he has made her forget other times too like the first time he told her he loved her and that she deserved more. Those memories are going to hit her once she wakes up and it will change how she thinks about it.
I think all in all her decision was not just for Stefan. She wanted to come back because he is safe, like she told Matt earlier this season he can’t leave her and that is what Elena is most afraid of. I think she is truly afraid to want Damon because of how much she loves him and because of who he is, he’s a great guy who loves her but he is kind of flighty and will do anything including going against what she wants to protect her. He has openly said he didn’t care about what she wanted he’d kill himself, Bonnie, Jeremy whoever to make her safe and that scares her… and that is what they are trying to show.
I know it gets annoying to see her running back to Stefan, BELIEVE me I know! I about through my laptop at the TV! Lol and I totally agree what ass who supposedly loves someone would let them die just because they asked them too, its ridiculous but that’s who Stefan is and that’s why Elena feels safer with him. She loves Damon but is scared that that love could lead to more loss and she knows that Stefan is safe.
EVERY poll I have seen and discussion board and more all say the same roughly 70% of ALL TVD viewers want Delena to be together and eventually it will happen but probably not until near the end, its how they keep the viewers anticipation and their numbers high.

Neacy

Posted at 12:44 AM on May 12, 2012

Plus Nina/Ian are a couple so eventually I see that playing a part in it too, it always does with on screen/co star relationships.

Nora

Posted at 5:39 AM on May 12, 2012

First of all, Damon asked Elena on the phone to make a choice between him and his brother and that’s why she did it on the phone. Second of all, you are just pissed because Elena chose Stefan. Let me ask you something, would it have been better if Elena had pretended to love Damon more and chose him just so that he can be happy? If you truly love Damon, you wouldn’t want that. The fact that Damon loves her or met her first are insignificant because Damon never took a chance with Elena. Stefan did. He saw the resemblance to Katherine and made an effort to be a part of her life. If you spent your time convincing everyone there’s not even a shred of goodness in you, that’s what you get.
And stalker and ripper Stefan?! This is what I hate about Delena fans. I, myself, am a fan of Damon and I enjoy Delena scenes but I know that Stefan is the true hero of the story at the end of the day. Damon wouldn’t even be alive if Stefan was not selfless enough to sacrifice himself. That is exactly WHY he deserves Elena.

Sue

Posted at 12:44 AM on May 13, 2012

C’mon Nora you need a reality check and to get down from that freaking high horse… Stefan is NOT and has NEVER been an angel either. Damon may show his true dark side, but with him, it is his ONLY side; good, bad, selfish, selfless… With Stefan it is a different story; all it’s veiled, hidden… They have both make sacrifices for each other because that’s what you do with family. He went with Klaus to save Damon, but Damon helped Elena get him back knowing that it would meant Elena will continue her relationship with Stefan. That, to me, it’s the real sacrifice here. Damon killed Jeremy in one of his hasty acts, but Stefan did not show any mercy either when Elena told him Jeremy’s life was in danger. He was NO longer under Klaus compulsion and he told her “that is not my problem anymore”, so… Neither of them has been good to her! And it we talk about who “deserves” Elena, I tend to think that she doesn’t deserve Damon. Elena and Stefan deserve each other and I hope they stay together hypnotizing the audience into a deep stupor produced by their colorless and boring relationship…zzzzzzz

Reena

Posted at 6:40 PM on May 11, 2012

<3 Katherine and Damon. <3
<3 Elena and Stefan. <3

Jara

Posted at 6:26 PM on May 11, 2012

I think we’ll return to the beginning where we see an undecided Elena again because she’ll always be angry with Stefan and Damon for different things. For this reason, I think the decision that she made to choose Stefan (though I didn’t see her very convinced of this) won’t do anything and we’ll see Delena moments again and surely Stelena moments too, but if I were the writers I’d focus more on developing the relationship Delena because Stelena is very boring. With Damon and Elena sparks fly, you just have to remember chapter 19 of this season, when we saw Elena kiss Stefan with this passion?, and also watching this third season has become very clear now that Elena loves Damon, not Stefan even though she tells Matt that the right thing is to choose Stefan because he saved her life. But it isn’t love.

Ashley

Posted at 5:41 PM on May 11, 2012

Stelena always and forever!!! Some how I actually think Damona and Elena should be together, but Sefan and elena love each other and perfection together.

nope.

Posted at 5:35 PM on May 11, 2012

Stefan let his epic love die respecting her. Sorry I don’t buy nor understand that. Once…maybe. twice? NO. Stelena is not epic anymore to me. Does he have any man parts? I guess they really do understand one another. Lord…both martyrs ready to die. Maybe its just me,but I cannot stomach this fake crap. Even DE is getting ridiculous.

People need to complement one another. Not saying DE does, but being too alike is as bad as being too opposite.

Damon told her he loved her ONLY when he was on his death bed. It was more open in S3, but they thought they were duped by then. I do believe she cares, but Stelena was badly put back together. I was looking forward to it, but I find Stefan tasteless. Twilight like ending. To each his own all arguments are valid expressions of opinions.

Nora

Posted at 4:58 PM on May 11, 2012

I think the writers should put Damon and Elena together they met first. Team Damon and Elena.

Lorrie

Posted at 3:47 PM on May 11, 2012

#TeamDelena FTW! :)

Bianca

Posted at 3:37 PM on May 11, 2012

I honestly think Damon belongs with Katherine. They are both strong people. Elena said that Stefan was there when she needed him and of course, she may have met Damon first, but there’s a reason why he compelled her not to remember him. Every time he said something to her that was serious like “I love you”, he would compel her to forget it because he just wanted to get his feelings out. For the past three seasons, they have denied their feelings for each other. Even though Damon compelled her to forget the first time he told her he loved her, he said it to her after that so she already knew he loved her and even though he met her first, she straight up told Damon she chose Stefan. She said she CARED about Damon but she LOVED Stefan. Of course more people ship Delena than Stelena but Stefan is better for her. Even when Stefan was like a ghost, he never TRULY forgot how much he loved Elena and Damon, well, honestly, Damon has threatened to kill Elena over 3 times and he acts like her father. STELENA FOREVER but I understand Delena

SSalvatore

Posted at 4:56 PM on May 11, 2012

Totaly agree. Stelena forever ♥

Neacy

Posted at 12:54 AM on May 12, 2012

Several things… I like what you said at the end cause I am the opposite I think Delena are perfect and need to be together but I understand/get Stelena.
I totally disagree about Katherine and Damon. If he can’t be with Elena he needs to just find someone else Caroline or Bonnie maybe anybody else… Katherine was a total Bitch to him! Yes Elena has been cold but I would never so much as watch reruns of TVD if he ended up with her she used him and threw him away like trash… she never loved Damon and I was sooo glad when he moved on!
As for her already knowing that Damon loved her, yes Elena knew he loved her but when he made her forget meeting him or him saying I love you the 1st time that just goes to show how much he loved her and I think when she remembers she will definitely realize that!
Elena chooses Stefan because she is scared of Damon. She knows he is a great guy and that he loves her but she has been through so much that she can’t let him in all the way and that’s why she chooses Stefan. Its like she told Matt earlier this season he wont leave her no matter what and that is what Elena is most afraid of (loss). I think she is truly afraid to want Damon because of how much she loves him and because she knows that because of how much he cares for her and the type of man he is he is going to do ANYTHING including going against what she wants to protect her. He has openly said he didn’t care about what she wanted he’d kill himself, Bonnie, Jeremy, or whoever to make her safe and that scares her… She has lost so much and she is afraid of loosing more. So she chooses Stefan because he is safe and she knows she won’t loose him.

Tina

Posted at 12:59 AM on May 13, 2012

Well, Elena was still alive because Damon’s “fatherly” actions, as you put it, has kept her alive. Stefan has let her die not once but twice. He is an spineless doormat that would go with whatever crazy, nonsensical decision Elena makes just to not have her “hate him” if he doesn’t respect her brilliant decisions. To hell with that. If you truly love somebody, sometimes you have to do what is best for that person in spite of themselves. Damon doesn’t boss her around. He takes charge when she gets into the martyr mode and doesn’t think her decisions through. If wasn’t for Damon she would be long gone. When Stefan was bent on his revenge against Klaus he almost killed her in the bridge episode. He wasn’t under compulsion but he didn’t care. That crap about “epic love” and that he has been better for her is just that, crap. Stefan DID forget about how much he supposedly loved Elena and treated like dirt even after klaus has released him. One can be blinded to facts, but Selective memory is a bitch.

lake

Posted at 4:19 PM on May 17, 2012

Ok answer this question for me.
If you got in a car crash and you had to save the other person or your baby first even if it looks like the Baby didnt have a chance. Who would you save? Yes that’s right…no matter what if you love someone so much you would go to the one you love the most. The person that matters most to you. Without a thought or instinct to save the other. In a way..noW I know the writers were not thinking like this when they wrote the script but to me..it seems like stefan was being selfish because he knows Elena would never forgive him…who the hell cares…She’s still alive. Thats what I appreciate about Damon..he knows she would be pissed and never talk to him again for not saving Matt and he wouldnt care because he loves HER. He would give up being with her to save her life. I ABSOLUTLY BELIEVE DAMON IS THE BETTER CHOICE. HE IS NOT SELFISH ANYMORE. YES HE USED TO BE BUT PEOPLE/VAMPIRES CHANGE.