'Vampire Diaries' Season 4: Nina Dobrev Tells Us Elena Could Return To Damon

Fri, May 11, 2012 9:25am EDT by 237 Comments

Plus, Nina talks — cautiously — about potentially playing three different characters next season.

A major chunk of The Vampire Diaries‘ fan base was bummed when Elena (Nina Dobrev) straight-up chose Stefan (Paul Wesley) over Damon (Ian Somerhalder) on last night’s season finale, but “Delena” shippers probably shouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. “Nothing’s ever set in stone — ever,” Nina told HollywoodLife.com at the unveiling of her “Got Milk?” ad May 10 at Seventeen‘s NYC headquarters. “Everything changes all the time, whether it’s people or relationships or experiences.”

Considering the finale’s big twist ending, I’m thinking Elena’s feelings for Damon are going to change drastically when the show returns in the fall. During their phone call, one of her main points was that things might have turned out differently if she had met him before Stefan. Well guess what? She did! And now that she’s becoming a vampire, there’s a good chance Elena will remember that fateful first meeting Damon compelled her to forget.

On the subject of Nina donning a pair of fangs, she also told me she was actually relieved that vampire Katherine was M.I.A. for much of season three.

“My sleep habits don’t miss her, because I’m getting a lot more rest and I’m much healthier,” Nina admitted. “But it is fun playing Katherine. Variety is always good in any regard, but it’s all about moderation.”

And given that lead-in, I couldn’t help but ask Nina about the possibility of playing three characters next season: Elena, Katherine and Tatia — the original Petrova who was pointedly mentioned earlier this season.

“I guess we’ll have to cross that bridge when we get there,” she said. “I literally have to figure that whole thing out — if and when that happens.”

OK, so that remains a question mark. But one thing Nina can count on is Elena’s platonic bestie Matt (Zach Roerig) always being there for her. In fact, she told me she thinks every girl should have a Matt Donovan in her life.

“I think every girl has to have a really good girl friend and a really good guy friend, so you can bounce ideas off them and have objective opinions from both sides,” she explained. “Our minds are wired so completely differently, so yeah, it’s always great to have a guy friend and a girl friend.”

How do you feel about Nina’s outlook on Elena and Damon next season? Do you think Elena will change her mind when she remembers she met Damon first, or will she stay true to Stefan? And do you miss Katherine as much as I do? Hit up the comments section with your thoughts, theories and hopes for the future.

— Andy Swift

More Vampire Diaries Stories:

1. Season Finale Recap: Is Elena Really A Vampire?
  2. The CW Renews ‘Vampire Diaries,’ ’90210′ & More For Fall 2012
  3. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season Finale First Look: Why Is Elena Crying?

Sammy Jo

Posted at 8:04 AM on December 18, 2013

I love Stefan! And elena should make up her mind and stop messing with their feelings!!!! Bcoz once again in season 5 she’s still not 100% sure!

kate

Posted at 2:08 PM on December 4, 2012

UGH ELENA BETTER CHOSE STEFAN. what a waste of three season if she chooses damon.

MystiFay

Posted at 12:08 PM on May 3, 2013

No! What a waste of three seasons of epic Delena build up, if she chooses Stefan^^

Mercedes

Posted at 2:22 AM on November 25, 2012

I’m so excited for November 29! I saw the preview for next episode. I’m so happy that elena told stefan about her feelings for damon. In the preview elena said to damon that they need to talk, maybe she will declair her love for him? I hope her and damon get together!

Morgan

Posted at 4:39 PM on November 24, 2012

I don’t think she will ever “settle” with just one of the brothers until the very end of the series. If settled down with just one brother, wouldn’t it be kind of over? I don’t know. They are both really attractive and all, but Elena also acts differently with both brothers. It probably would just do her good to go back to Matt. lol, kidding.

natasha

Posted at 4:11 PM on November 24, 2012

I want elena and stefan to be together cuz they look betta together and demon is to chilshle for her

sinisterone

Posted at 5:58 AM on November 6, 2012

SHE NEEDS TO CHOOSE DAMON!!!

delena

Posted at 7:03 AM on October 30, 2012

If elena love stefan really so so deep….she wont get feeling to damon than…..
But once she got de feeling to damon during she wif stefan…
Means she love Damon more…than stefan….

MCS

Posted at 11:18 PM on November 3, 2012

You mean if Elena truly loves Stefan than she wouldn’t have feelings for Damon meaning she loves Damon more. I completely agree!

delena

Posted at 11:47 AM on November 9, 2012

Fully agreed.

The Baller Bryonna

Posted at 5:11 PM on October 18, 2012

Okay, so I am like, a huge Delena fan. I think they should get together this season, and most likely if nothing between them happens then I am probably gonna stop watching because I hate Stefan with Elena. HE SAVED MATT! Damon is always there for Elena. No matter what. And does anybody remember what Rose said in “The Heart Of Darkness” episode in season 3? She said “[Elena] doesn’t just change [Damon] you know, He changes her too. Don’t tell them I am here. You know Damon could be the very worst thing for Elena or the very best.”
And In “The Departed” Damon and Stefan both agreed that whoever Elena chooses the other will leave them alone. And the reason why I will stop watching if they don’t get together is thats just how they would keep the show going is Delena shippers would be waiting for them to get together and it wouldn’t happen. So hopefully Damon and Elena will get together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Delena <3

Ebony

Posted at 7:48 PM on November 10, 2012

I COMPLETELY AGREE! They should get rid of Stefan! I can’t stand him!!

charlene

Posted at 12:23 PM on October 12, 2012

Sorry, I mean lake. We know Stephan didn’t and it was only stated that Jeremy brought her to the hospital. . Is it pertinent of how she got out?

charlene

Posted at 12:21 PM on October 12, 2012

Damon is really in love with Elena. He admits he would have saved her first in the drowning scene, unlike Stephan, who did what Elena wanted. If your own child and a friend were drowning, who would you save first? Exactly!! Love is not always giving them what they want. It’s more than that. Does anyone think that maybe Damon pulled her out of the ocean?

Nicole

Posted at 8:45 PM on October 11, 2012

Wow Elena has to get with Damon. I mean way more people voted Damon then they did Stephan and I mean A LOT more.

Morgan

Posted at 3:08 PM on October 8, 2012

Damon all the way!! Stefan was good for her in the first season but DAMON is the best and I think she loves him more than Stefan

mercedes

Posted at 12:56 AM on September 22, 2012

I love damon, and Elena does too but what kind of holds her back is she still cares for stefan and feels guilty that she loves and wants damon but feels it would hurt stefan too much that she doesn’t want to let go for his sake.

Taylot

Posted at 6:28 AM on September 21, 2012

I do see the appeal with Stefan but Damon has been there for her the entire time while he was off being the ripper. You can tell Elena loves him she just wants both and she knows that if she picks Stefan she’ll still have Damon. If she picks Damon, Stefan would definitely leave. Stefan Is the most selfish out of the two, also the most immature. God, Damon is the right guy for her, I wish she would see that. Or at least change things up a bit. The whole “I love Stefan forever” stuff is getting old.

Morgan

Posted at 3:10 PM on October 8, 2012

she better end up with Damon I think they are the best! Stefan holds her back and Damon is the one willing to put everything on the line to save her

delenasharon

Posted at 11:56 AM on October 29, 2012

Totally agreed. Stefan is selfish….

Anthony

Posted at 5:51 PM on September 20, 2012

I just watched season 1-3 in about 4 days and if you pay close attention when Elena is talking to Matt she explains why she loves stefan and then says when shes with Damon he consumes her. Then we see later the scene where Damon first meets Elena and he says “you want what everyone wants, you want love that consumes you” and thats what she will remember in season 4 i HOPE AND PRAY they end up together

Wowa

Posted at 2:44 AM on September 20, 2012

I just spent this week watching the entire series. I like Stefan, but from what I saw in the last episode, the showwriters are setting it up so that it will at some point/gamepoint is Damon and Elena. Most definiltely. Why? There is a parallel between her past with Matt, which she didnt want to admit the relationship was ending, to the relationship/connection she has with Stefan. It’s not as strong as it once was… there is something else that consumes her absolutely. She’s “just not ready to lose” Stefan.

Indhira

Posted at 10:10 PM on September 12, 2012

if Elena doesnt end up with Stefan im so DONE with this!

charlene

Posted at 12:16 PM on October 12, 2012

I agree. I hate waiting for “Delana” to start their love for each other.